Evernote premium pricing in Europe

Hi,

Just noticed that Evernote premium monthly pricing was increased from 3.99 EUR to 4.99 EUR in Germany. Would appreciate to know why this was done. Is the 4.99 price an experiment? 3.99 was a really good price point in my opinion but 4.99 is enough to deter me away from a premium subscription, just in case you want to know my opinion.

Thanks!

Hi evernote-fan,

Its been changed recently (and silently). Premium now costs EUR 4.99 for a month and EUR 39.99 for a year.

You probably do not see it because you are already a premium member. I had also purchased it for a month in January and it was EUR 3.9 then.

• Level 5

In the USA, according to the Evernote website:

Evernote Premium gives you bigger upload capacity, offers greater sharing options, gives you access to note history, and more.

Plus, you get PDF searching, faster image recognition, and no ads.

All for just $5.00 per month or $45.00 per year.

Yeah, it still actually *is* $5/mo, $45/year, but in countries that charge VAT, they're exercising their right to charge it.

In Brazil I pay US$5/mo plus local taxes (near 6% as I can remember, charged directly in my credit card).

In spanish Evernote website you read 45$ and then when clicking on "Premium" link you see 40€ (53$).

This change wasn't noticed, the VAT was already there before this.

Are these various national VAT charges applied based on the country of the credit card used, the buyer's physical location, or something else? I'm curious because I upgraded to premium while living in Colombia but with an American credit card and don't remember noticing anything suggesting I was buying outside the U.S.

• Level 5*

Are these various national VAT charges applied based on the country of the credit card used, the buyer's physical location, or something else? I'm curious because I upgraded to premium while living in Colombia but with an American credit card and don't remember noticing anything suggesting I was buying outside the U.S.

usually, taxes are charged based on the billing address. at least, that is how my experience has been.

We now accept additional currencies such as the Euro, British Pound etc, so you may see a fluctuation in price for Evernote Premium due to the the exchange rate that we are using against the currency within your country plus the VAT that we are charging in countries that pay VAT which are any EU countries etc.

• 1 month later...

I'm not from Portugal (or Europe), so I can't give you a definitive answer, but you can probably find out if you go through the steps to purchase (before, of course, actually paying). This thread suggests it is €40 plus whatever the Portuguese VAT is. Again, that's not something we can know better than you (since you're the one who has to pay it on many items), but a Google search suggests it's 23 percent most products.

I'm not from Portugal (or Europe), so I can't give you a definitive answer, but you can probably find out if you go through the steps to purchase (before, of course, actually paying). This thread suggests it is €40 plus whatever the Portuguese VAT is. Again, that's not something we can know better than you (since you're the one who has to pay it on many items), but a Google search suggests it's 23 percent most products.

The paying page (where we have to write the credit card numeber) says that the price is 40€ but also says that taxes may apply. Yes, the VAT in Portugal is 23% but it depends on where evernote pay's the tax.

What do you mean? Why don't you click further in the process to see how much you'll actually be charged? My guess is it will recognize your billing address or your credit card as being in Portugal and so will charge you €49.20.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Okay, NFU, here the topic-starter: I wonder ... so you pay VAT in The Netherlands? Than you have to mention this on your site and show your clients your Dutch VAT-number and Dutch based address. DO you have a Dutch office? Also should you bill your clients with the VAT stated on that bill. Do you? Only than it is refundable for people like me. The American rate you charge for foreigners should be without VAT if they have a business. Some clarity please.

• 1 year later...

If you are purchasing our Evernote Business product, and your billing address is one of the VAT-applicable countries, you will see an extra field to enter your business VAT number. Business receipts should also include our Evernote VAT number for our Evernote GmbH entity in Switzerland.

Our Premium payment flow does not have the same field, as the product is meant for end-consumer use. Based on advice from our tax consultant, this is a correct, VAT-compliant implementation. 

Yes - and the end-consumer in this case is a (small) company, who is paying taxes. Other companies implement the VAT-stuff so they are wrong? No need for an answer …

Thanks for your support. Best regards. 

Yes - and the end-consumer in this case is a (small) company, who is paying taxes. Other companies implement the VAT-stuff so they are wrong? No need for an answer …

Thanks for your support. Best regards. 

This is a heavy legal debate you are bringing up... Add the fact that this is digital media, across many countries... It becomes even more complicated....

Basically you are asking:

Does Evernote have the right to use discriminatory pricing against you as a business user.. And Force you to buy their business version, if you would rather run your business practise on their Premium version? 

Is it discriminatory pricing? I am not so sure... They are offering a superior product to businesses....  So its not necessarily discriminatory...  Students can get big discounts on prices, for many digital products... So why not normal end consumers for personal use... You could classify the Evernote premium as a 'discounted version' of Evernote business.. So many ways to look at it... So many ways to set up pricing schemes...  I am not convinced that they need to offer the premium version of Evernote to business users. The price discrepancy is not that drastic either.. Especially when you claim back VAT.

After all you are likely using Evernote in a personal capacity too...

Basically they are saying you need to buy the business package to be treated like a business... They are clearly saying that THEY DO NOT want you to use their premium product to run a business...

In a sense it is a fair... Because they may have increased liability should something go wrong... They need to offer a different standard of service, when directly associating with businesses.

It is reasonable that they want to offer more support to a business, and charge slightly more for that..

I think this topic goes beyond just VAT...

I get where you are coming from...

Im not convinced you are necessarily right...

This needs a lot of legal digging to get an answer..

My personal take is.... If they dont want to sell their normal Evernote premium product to businesses... And want to charge business prices to businesses... They have a right to do that...

Im pretty sure they did their legal homework.. I think Evernote should just clear up a bit how this all works.. Its a valid question by ralp.

If you still want to use premium... You're going to lose a bit in VAT rebate... And just buy it like a regular end-consumer for private use...

Is Evernote in its right's to do this? I dont know.. 

Im curious how other companies like Microsoft... Who also have business and non-bussiness products deal with this specific situation..

• Level 5*

I know of at least one other major internet company which offers a 'domestic' product that can be used for business purposes,  and while that's not specifically excluded in their terms and conditions,  they do not show any VAT split or give VAT receipts in their invoices.  Maybe Evernote are advised by the same legal firm.  If VAT receipts are what you need,  then I guess you have to look at Business,  or go somewhere else completely,  or if Evernote's features are sufficiently valuable to you,  then the VAT cost is just one of those unrecoverable expenses...  If it's only Evernote,  then 6-8GBP doesn;t seem like too bad an overhead... 

Archived