(Archived) [Firefox] Clipper 5.1 Beta: Now supports Beta, Aurora & Nightly channels

jbignert

Hi all,

We have a new version of Firefox Web Clipper that has some nice improvements.

- Web Clipper is now forward compatible with Firefox betas. Beta, Aurora and Nightly builds of Firefox should now be supported unless Firefox has a game changing rewrite in the works.

- Clip quality improvements. Preserving styles and layout from web pages has been significantly improved for both web based clipping and clipping to native client.

- Bug fixes

Removed support for:

- We've depreciated support for Firefox 3.6.x

- Thunderbird clipper has been removed from the build.

I'd like to encourage Firefox users to test it out and report any issues you notice back on this thread. Please include:

OS version

Firefox version where issue was observed

URL where issues was observed

UPDATE: This version is now released

• Level 5*

Hi all,

- Web Clipper is now forward compatible with Firefox betas. Beta, Aurora and Nightly builds of Firefox should now be supported unless Firefox has a game changing rewrite in the works.

- Clip quality improvements. Preserving styles and layout from web pages has been significantly improved for both web based clipping and clipping to native client.

- Bug fixes

Many thanks. This sounds like one of the best FF clipper updates in a long time.

I really like the new "forward compatible" design. I don't usually use FF betas, but I assume this will help ensure that this FF Clipper (Ver 5.1.xxx) will automatically be compatible to new released versions of FF.

So far, so good. I just ran a quick test clipping this thread with the current released FF Clipper (5.0.xxx) and this new Beta, with the clipper setting on both to "Preserve all styles".

RESULTS:

This new Beta (5.1) is much better. The text auto-wraps to the EN window, and the left column with the user and avatar is much better.

Previously I had to do a lot of clean-up of all clips from the EN UG. Now it looks good enough so I don't think I'll have to clean-up anything. The only thing missing is that neither of the clips captured the Post# (provides link to this specific post) on the far right. But I suspect this is due to somethinig weird that the UG HTML code is doing. If you could capture that, it would be great!!

Thanks again.

• Level 5*

I'd like to add one request, originally made some time ago by other users.

Could you please add a blank line or something at the very top of the clipped selection so that we can insert text with formatting ABOVE the clipping. This blank line needs to be just like the top of a new blank Note so we can apply whatever formatting we like.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Hi all,

FF Clipper (Ver 5.1 Beta) is looking very good after 4 days of clipping, with the "Preserve all styles" setting.

I'm very impressed that the clipping page width auto-sizes to the window width for most web sites, providing very nice text word wrapping to the window.

This makes viewing much better on al EN Clients/Devices.

@Martin the confused

Clearly and Web Clipper does have some overlap and can seem similar at first. However Web Clipper is dedicated to capturing content and offer you the full organizing capabilities in Evernote. Clearly on the other hand is more focused on the reading experience and should help you comprehend content better with less distractions. Clipping is a feature in Clearly whereas it is the main functionality in Web Clipper if that makes sense.

• Level 5*

Clearly and Web Clipper does have some overlap and can seem similar at first. However Web Clipper is dedicated to capturing content and offer you the full organizing capabilities in Evernote. Clearly on the other hand is more focused on the reading experience and should help you comprehend content better with less distractions. Clipping is a feature in Clearly whereas it is the main functionality in Web Clipper if that makes sense.

I understand all that, but can you tell us, in some detail, what the clipping differences are between the two?

Thanks.

Hi all,

- Bug fixes

Removed support for:

- We've depreciated support for Firefox 3.6.x

- Thunderbird clipper has been removed from the build.

I'd like to encourage Firefox users to test it out and report any issues you notice back on this thread. Please include:

OS version

Get the new build here:

http://www.evernote....bb36760e8e15a2

This may be a stupid question, but how do I install this extension in Firefox? When I click on the link I'm taken to a page with a download link. But when I click on it, I'm told Windows doesn't know how to open the file. Sorry, but I'm at a loss. What do I do?

• Level 5*

Save the download as a file somewhere on your local hard drive.

Then, go to FireFox Add-Ons page:

1. Remove the existing Evernote add-on (if any)
  2. Restart FF
  3. Install new Add-on from file (button in left corner of FF "Get Add-on" page. Button looks like a gear)

FF12 has been released. So this "Beta" clipper should work OK with FF12, correct?

It should be seen as compatible when the version is checked. It may however have FF12 specific problems.

The change to the clipper just avoids the problem of needing a new clipper release every time there is an update in the FF release channels.

Save the download as a file somewhere on your local hard drive.

Then, go to FireFox Add-Ons page:

1. Remove the existing Evernote add-on (if any)
  2. Restart FF
  3. Install new Add-on from file (button in left corner of FF "Get Add-on" page. Button looks like a gear)

Thanks! It worked great.

FF12 has been released. So this "Beta" clipper should work OK with FF12, correct?

FYI: I used the released clipper (5.0.0.236819 released 4/27) without problem on a new FF12 install.

Did not need the beta clipper.

The only thing missing is that neither of the clips captured the Post# (provides link to this specific post) on the far right.

Click the post# (e.g. "#18" for this post) before clipping to get a post specific url.

• Level 5*

FYI: I used the released clipper (5.0.0.236819 released 4/27) without problem on a new FF12 install.

Did not need the beta clipper.

Thanks for the reply.

However, the beta is for the next version 5.1.xxx

I'm not sure if it offers new features or not, but I can only assume that Evernote expects it to be better than 5.0.xxx

So far, I'm pretty happy with 5.1 Beta.

• Level 5*

The only thing missing is that neither of the clips captured the Post# (provides link to this specific post) on the far right.

Click the post# (e.g. "#18" for this post) before clipping to get a post specific url.

Thanks, but this does not help the problem when clipping multiple posts.

I need the Post# link to be captured/clipped along with the other info in the post, for all posts that are selected/clipped.

• 3 weeks later...

OS version

I tried it with waterfox 12 (ff 64 bit) - the addon loads but clipping to the desktop app is not available.

@JMichael

A few comments on your questions earlier in this thread.

1) Insert a blank line on top of every clip to enable formatted text easier.

We are looking into this as a general improvement for all the clippers. It sounds like a good idea.

2) Clip differences between Web Clipper - Clearly

a) Clearly cannot at this point preserve any styling from the 'Clearly rendered view' when it clips.

B) Clearly cannot at this point handle notebook designation at 'clip time'.

3) 5.1.x will work just fine on Firefox 12.

4) Release is as soon as Mozilla approves the build. It may take up to 2 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

I had problems with the Evernote webclipper as downloadable from FF add-on site. So i de-installed it and downloaded the evernote_web_clipper-5.1.0.241767-fx from the forum link here above. Installing this new one, i've noticed it took unfortunately very long to install on FF 12 too. As the last version i had from add-on site slowed FF 12 and it's installation was extremely slow too. I hopep this new one would be better. But unfortunately i was able to count from 0 to 152. So its about 150 seconds to install on this new webclipper version 5.1.0. That's much to long too. Clearly's installation was a breeze, so it would be nice the webclipper would install fast too or at least faster.

The new version resolved the add-on options menu scroll down, because i was unable to scroll to bottom with last version on 10'' screen of my netbook. But after i filled in user name and password and clicked on login (by the way would be nice if you would enable it to work with LastPass) the square shows login in to Evernote. After that the empty square remains there. When i later then re-klick on the webclipper icon it shows te login again. So i cannot use webclipper making me sad.

Hi,

I am using Waterfox 13 on Windows 7 x64 and I am using the latest Clipper Beta.

In the options under "Send clips to:" the "Evernote on your Desktop" entry is grayed out.

What can I do to change this?

Hi There. I Installed Clipper 5.1.0.252437 on Firefox 13.0, Windows 7 Pro x64 - fully patched.

Clipper works fine with text selections from a webpage. However, it does not seem to do anything at all when trying to clip from a page formatted by Clearly - I right click, select "Add to Evernote>Clip selection" and absolutely nothing happens. Clipping from Clearly has always worked up until now.

I am using Clearly 5.3333.576.642 installed on 17 April 2012.

Hi all,

Just a notification the Web Clipper 5.1 for Firefox with FF13 support has now been approved by Mozilla.

If you installed the beta version, please go through the trouble of uninstalling and then re-installing from this location:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/evernote-web-clipper/

That way you will automatically get new updates for the Web Clipper.

• Level 5*

Hi all,

Just a notification the Web Clipper 5.1 for Firefox with FF13 support has now been approved by Mozilla.

If you installed the beta version, please go through the trouble of uninstalling and then re-installing from this location:

https://addons.mozil...te-web-clipper/

That way you will automatically get new updates for the Web Clipper.

Thanks for the notification.

For everyone's benefit, here are the details, copied from the EN FF Extension install page:

Version 5.1.0.252437

Released May 21, 2012

993.3 KB

Works with Firefox 4.0b1 and later

This version has:

- Bug fixes

- New product branding including toolbar icon

- Adds forward compatibility with new versions of Firefox ( Beta & Aurora channels)

- Clip quality improvements

See complete version history

I've been testing this for the past week and I'm very disappointed with the style preservation, especially for article clipping and especially when clipping to the desktop client. It gets it wrong most of the time. Clipping to web is better but still worse than the Chrome web-clipper. Granted, I haven't tested the previous versions.

Take this page for example (not a fancy page either): http://support.micro...spx?kbid=314060

Schreenshot comparison of the clipping from Chroms vs Firefox: http://bit.ly/KKxNsB

Most of the pages I clip show quite different (read: ugly) compared with the original. Clipping to web is very slow compared to the desktop client so I'd very much like to use that but the result is mostly appalling ...

Any intention to improve this?

And why does the Chrome web-clipper have extra- and very useful features compared to the firefox clipper? The tag + notebook guessing in Chrome worked quite well for me. Why not have it in Firefox too?

Archived