Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Firefox

[Firefox] Clipper 5.1 Beta: Now supports Beta, Aurora & Nightly channels

ie clipper

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 jbignert

jbignert

• Title: Browncoat
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:37 AM

Hi all,
We have a new version of Firefox Web Clipper that has some nice improvements.
- Web Clipper is now forward compatible with Firefox betas. Beta, Aurora and Nightly builds of Firefox should now be supported unless Firefox has a game changing rewrite in the works.
- Clip quality improvements. Preserving styles and layout from web pages has been significantly improved for both web based clipping and clipping to native client.
- Bug fixes

Removed support for:
- We've depreciated support for Firefox 3.6.x
- Thunderbird clipper has been removed from the build.

I'd like to encourage Firefox users to test it out and report any issues you notice back on this thread. Please include:
OS version
Firefox version where issue was observed
URL where issues was observed

UPDATE: This version is now released

#2 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Explorer
  • Group: Members
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:58 AM

Hi all,
- Web Clipper is now forward compatible with Firefox betas. Beta, Aurora and Nightly builds of Firefox should now be supported unless Firefox has a game changing rewrite in the works.
- Clip quality improvements. Preserving styles and layout from web pages has been significantly improved for both web based clipping and clipping to native client.
- Bug fixes

Many thanks. This sounds like one of the best FF clipper updates in a long time.
I really like the new "forward compatible" design. I don't usually use FF betas, but I assume this will help ensure that this FF Clipper (Ver 5.1.xxx) will automatically be compatible to new released versions of FF.

So far, so good. I just ran a quick test clipping this thread with the current released FF Clipper (5.0.xxx) and this new Beta, with the clipper setting on both to "Preserve all styles".

RESULTS:
This new Beta (5.1) is much better. The text auto-wraps to the EN window, and the left column with the user and avatar is much better.
Previously I had to do a lot of clean-up of all clips from the EN UG. Now it looks good enough so I don't think I'll have to clean-up anything. The only thing missing is that neither of the clips captured the Post# (provides link to this specific post) on the far right. But I suspect this is due to somethinig weird that the UG HTML code is doing. If you could capture that, it would be great!!

Thanks again.

#3 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:06 AM

I'd like to add one request, originally made some time ago by other users.

Could you please add a blank line or something at the very top of the clipped selection so that we can insert text with formatting ABOVE the clipping. This blank line needs to be just like the top of a new blank Note so we can apply whatever formatting we like.

Thanks.

#4 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:53 AM

Wow, I'm surprised that you haven't received more feedback on this great update!

What are your thoughts on my above request about the blank line at top?

#5 Martin Packer

Martin Packer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

What's the difference between this and Clearly?

Thanks, Martin (the Confused)

#6 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

Hi all,

FF Clipper (Ver 5.1 Beta) is looking very good after 4 days of clipping, with the "Preserve all styles" setting.
I'm very impressed that the clipping page width auto-sizes to the window width for most web sites, providing very nice text word wrapping to the window.
This makes viewing much better on al EN Clients/Devices.

#7 Shadowbottle

Shadowbottle

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:01 PM

Just digging into this now. I don't use clipping all too frequently, but I'll post back after a bit. Glad to see there is formal support for Nightly!

#8 jbignert

jbignert

• Group: Evernote Employee
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:05 AM

@Martin the confused

Clearly and Web Clipper does have some overlap and can seem similar at first. However Web Clipper is dedicated to capturing content and offer you the full organizing capabilities in Evernote. Clearly on the other hand is more focused on the reading experience and should help you comprehend content better with less distractions. Clipping is a feature in Clearly whereas it is the main functionality in Web Clipper if that makes sense.

#9 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:45 AM

Clearly and Web Clipper does have some overlap and can seem similar at first. However Web Clipper is dedicated to capturing content and offer you the full organizing capabilities in Evernote. Clearly on the other hand is more focused on the reading experience and should help you comprehend content better with less distractions. Clipping is a feature in Clearly whereas it is the main functionality in Web Clipper if that makes sense.

I understand all that, but can you tell us, in some detail, what the clipping differences are between the two?

Thanks.

#10 Martin Packer

Martin Packer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

@jbignert Yes, it makes sense. But it still doesn't really explain why we need TWO.

Martin

#11 frankiemac

frankiemac

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:46 AM

Hi all,
- Bug fixes

Removed support for:
- We've depreciated support for Firefox 3.6.x
- Thunderbird clipper has been removed from the build.

I'd like to encourage Firefox users to test it out and report any issues you notice back on this thread. Please include:
OS version
Firefox version where issue was observed
URL where issues was observed

Get the new build here:
http://www.evernote....bb36760e8e15a2

This may be a stupid question, but how do I install this extension in Firefox? When I click on the link I'm taken to a page with a download link. But when I click on it, I'm told Windows doesn't know how to open the file. Sorry, but I'm at a loss. What do I do?

#12 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:56 AM

Save the download as a file somewhere on your local hard drive.
Then, go to FireFox Add-Ons page:
  • Remove the existing Evernote add-on (if any)
  • Restart FF
  • Install new Add-on from file (button in left corner of FF "Get Add-on" page. Button looks like a gear)

#13 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:03 PM

FF12 has been released. So this "Beta" clipper should work OK with FF12, correct?

#14 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Evernote Geek
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:54 PM

FF12 has been released. So this "Beta" clipper should work OK with FF12, correct?

It should be seen as compatible when the version is checked. It may however have FF12 specific problems.
The change to the clipper just avoids the problem of needing a new clipper release every time there is an update in the FF release channels.
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)
Windows 7 SP1 & XP SP3 (EN 4.5.8.7356)
iPod Touch 2G (iOS 4.2.1, EN 4.1.9) / Blackberry Playbook (OS 2.0.1, EN 1.3)
Latest stable browsers & clippers(Chrome(default), Firefox, IE8/9)

#15 frankiemac

frankiemac

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:48 AM

Save the download as a file somewhere on your local hard drive.
Then, go to FireFox Add-Ons page:

• Remove the existing Evernote add-on (if any)
  • Restart FF
  • Install new Add-on from file (button in left corner of FF "Get Add-on" page. Button looks like a gear)

Thanks! It worked great.

#16 LionSoft

LionSoft

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 05:28 AM

FF14 - The button on tool bar doesn't work. Items in the page popup menu work properly.

#17 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:01 AM

FYI: I used the released clipper (5.0.0.236819 released 4/27) without problem on a new FF12 install.
Did not need the beta clipper.

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)

#18 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

The only thing missing is that neither of the clips captured the Post# (provides link to this specific post) on the far right.

Click the post# (e.g. "#18" for this post) before clipping to get a post specific url.

Premium User

#19 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:52 PM

FYI: I used the released clipper (5.0.0.236819 released 4/27) without problem on a new FF12 install.
Did not need the beta clipper.

Thanks for the reply.
However, the beta is for the next version 5.1.xxx
I'm not sure if it offers new features or not, but I can only assume that Evernote expects it to be better than 5.0.xxx

So far, I'm pretty happy with 5.1 Beta.

#20 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

The only thing missing is that neither of the clips captured the Post# (provides link to this specific post) on the far right.

Click the post# (e.g. "#18" for this post) before clipping to get a post specific url.

Thanks, but this does not help the problem when clipping multiple posts.
I need the Post# link to be captured/clipped along with the other info in the post, for all posts that are selected/clipped.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote