(Archived) REQUEST: Better editing

yogeshwersharma

Idea

Hi there,

Not sure which is a good place to ask this question or make this comment. It is about Mac client for Evernote.

I have been using Evernote for a few months now, and really like the search functionality and auto-sync with phone. But I must say that the quality of note-editor is not good, to say the least. Even the iPhone version has the option to add heading etc, but the mac version of the note-editor (what you see below the listing of notes) is pretty lame. You will see this if you try to write anything more than a bulleted list: tables are hard to compose, section and subsections need to be made up using bolds and increase fonts. And who thought of making the tab size equal to 5 spaces... make it 2, 4, 8, or something less non-standard.

My question is: is there any plan to make the note editing somewhat more tolerable?

Sorry for being so critical about note-editing in Evernote in this post. Given how good Evernote is, I don't want to keep some detailed notes outside of evernote just because I cannot edit nicely formatted html notes in evernote. And writing up a basic HTML editor shouldn't even be that hard.

Thanks,

~yogi

3 replies to this idea

My question is: is there any plan to make the note editing somewhat more tolerable?

The short answer is: As far as we know, no.

All the things you mentioned have been requested by numerous other users. I imagine that, in time, Evernote will change some of them. So far, however, the indication is that Evernote will never provide the note-editing tools you (and I) want.

And writing up a basic HTML editor shouldn't even be that hard.

Even if that's true, that's not the issue. Evernote has dozens of inputs that go into determining their priorities on each client.

EDIT: Also, yes, this is the right forum to discuss the Mac client.

Thanks peterfmartin for your response. Not happy with Evernote editing, but great to know that the community is active and I get the response to queries and questions. In the mean time, I am thinking of editing html notes in text editor, and storing them in Evernote. Or if that get painful, then using 'find' and 'grep' tools in a directory to search for notes. I will see how things evolve for me.

Thanks again. :-)

Yep, there's definitely an active community here, and I'm glad to help, since others have helped me many times.

I've never edited note HTML, but I know there are ways to do that. If you have questions about how to do that, or if you run into any problems in the process, post here again, and hopefully those with experience editing note HTML will be able to help you.

Archived