REQUEST: Calendar

• Level 5*

For those who've been wanting to use Evernote for calendaring, appointments, and reminders - I've just posted an initial beta of TuskTools Calendar which gives you these capabilities.

In addition, it gives you the ability to view your notes chronologically in a variety of ways, on traditional calendar views, or on a continuous scrolling timeline view.

Please visit http://www.moreproductivenow.com/evernote.html for more information, or to download the free beta.

Your feedback on this application is encouraged as well!

Phil Seeman,

More Productive Now

• Level 5*

Wow! From the video it looks amazing. Are there any requirements for other software (other than EN)? The interface looks very similar to Outlook, so I wondered if it is an Outlook add-in? If not, maybe you should be talking seriously with EN! Not sure how this would work on the mobile devices (esp. phones), but for those of us with desktops it looks like being the answer to "how do I make EN into a GTD tool?" I will install it when I get a bit more time ...

I agree. It looks great. Are you able to pull data into the calendar from outlook or export to outlook? I'd hate having two separate calendars to follow. Though if you can export to outlook, the data would be there along with all my other appointments and on my iPhone and I can use your calendar app for filtering and viewing projects....

Look forward to trying it out.

I'd just like to say that Phil Seeman is the real deal. I've used his addons for Ecco Pro and outlook going back almost 20 years. He knows how to integrate with other programs and especially how to add important functionality. it looks like he has incorporated Agenda type abilities into LifeRunner, something that hasn't been done much by other programs, even though Lotus did it 20 years ago.

If I weren't retired, I'd be in line to buy LifeRunner when it comes out of beta. It also seems to implement a lot of GTD aspects, which is a huge plus for those of us who have gotten on the GTD bandwagon.

Fantastic! The use of the date function is like the grand old InfoSelect in which date can be imbedded anywhere in a note with two asterisks (**). Any plan to develop smartphone and web apps? Currently I use Business calendar for Android and Astrid task manager for Android, both integrated with Google Calendar but not with EN. Cloud and smartphone are essential for me. Hope you can develop a full EN-linked system I will be happy to pay for it!

• Level 5*

FactMan and lmason,

No, there are no requirements for any software other than Evernote for Windows. (Actually that's not even technically required, but you can't double-click a note in TTCalendar and have that note open if you don't have Evernote for Windows installed - and actually it needs to be v4.4 or later, which is when Evernote added "note links".)

It's not an Outlook add-in and doesn't talk to external calendars at present, but that is definitely a good possibility for an added capability, the two leading candidates for integration being Outlook and Google Calendar.

Actually I have been talking with EN - they are a truly wonderful group of folks (see more on that below), and TTCalendar will be available in the Evernote Trunk very soon.

cpchang,

Yes, you caught me, I definitely "borrowed" the general date embedding format from InfoSelect. In terms of smartphone and web, rather than developing a separate interface, I think the best solution is probably what I referred to above - namely, integrating with Outlook and Google Calendar. It sounds like doing the latter would meet your needs.

jfkaess,

Thanks so much for your kind words, I really appreciate it!

Since you mention another of my applications, LifeRunner, which also includes Evernote integration... yes, it's the beneficiary of some of what I consider the best aspects of past software like Agenda. Frankly I've been at a loss to understand why succeeding generations of software has failed to incorporate some of these important aspects of past applications. I finally got tired of waiting for that to happen, and decided I had best do it myself if no one else was going to, and that was part of my motivation for creating LifeRunner. (The other main motivation being that email is broken, and in my view no application has yet effectively solved that problem.) But, this is all a whole other topic unto itself!

Actually it's quite fitting that you mention Ecco Pro. I just spent the day Thursday with the Evernote gang at the 1st Evernote Trunk Conference in San Francisco, and as I told their CEO Phil Libin, Evernote is the first software company I've encountered since 1997 that I feel as passionately about as I did about Arabesque/NetManage, who made Ecco. Every one of the people I've met at Evernote are fantastic individuals and a joy to interact with. As I say, I haven't felt that way about a company since Bob, Pete and the gang at Arabesque.

Watched video. Installed. Tested. Watched video again. Re-tested.

General notes as follows:

- Fat client when other components (SQL Compact Server, .NET) included.

- Basically works. Timeline view is fun. Calendar uses not good fit. I don't need another calendar that is not available everywhere I am. Considering Zendone when available, but, it uses Google Calendar.

- Took about an hour, in the middle of the night, to do my first sync of approx 4971 notes to TTC(TuskTools Calendar). Subsequent syncs completed quickly. Confirmed that only notes that have been synced to the service will show in TTC.

- One of the first things I noticed was how fuzzy text looked in note view. Realized on second listen to video that you are showing scaled up thumbnails.

- Link to Evernote client quick and correct.

- Refresh view is fairly slow and needed after TTC sync.

Problems observed:

- Tested filter "intitle:youtube". Worked but inconsistent with results on Windows client. That also returns notes with title containing e.g. "(YouTube)".

- Tray icon is for TTC sync. Expected choosing Exit from it's context menu would also close TTC. It did not.

- No way to reset all filter critera. "Clear" only clears text box. It does not un-check notebooks or tags.

- Sync includes notes that are in trash. Need to empty trash on Evernote to remove the notes from TTC.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the clarification. I have now installed it, and I can see the potential for it. I have submitted a bug about searching for "Today's" in the text (actually it was in the title). That caused a crash.

I keep a lot of my notes on my hard drive, so are there any plans to be able to access the local database instead of or as well as the web version? That would be much more useful to me in case I move the notes that I want reminders about to an offline notebook ... One of my main gripes about Outlook is that I can flag a message with a reminder (not adding it to my task list) and no reminder actually pops up. It does for tasks. I guess for now I have to keep all those things in an online notebook ...

- Took about an hour, in the middle of the night, to do my first sync of approx 4971 notes to TTC(TuskTools Calendar). Subsequent syncs completed quickly. Confirmed that only notes that have been synced to the service will show in TTC.

Ruh, roh. Guess I won't be able to fully play with it b/c I have over 40,000 notes in the EN cloud. OTOH, if I were to rebuild my Windows EN database from the cloud, I know it would take several hours, so I guess them's the breaks.

I just spent the day Thursday with the Evernote gang at the 1st Evernote Trunk Conference in San Francisco, and as I told their CEO Phil Libin, Evernote is the first software company I've encountered since 1997 that I feel as passionately about as I did about Arabesque/NetManage, who made Ecco. Every one of the people I've met at Evernote are fantastic individuals and a joy to interact with. As I say, I haven't felt that way about a company since Bob, Pete and the gang at Arabesque.

This is good to hear. IME, I've had nothing but good vibes when dealing with the EN staff, most especially Dave, Phil L. & Heather, when I've had problems. It's nice to hear good things about them from a different point of view.

I'm downloading it now, but have a question. I prefer to keep my Evernote database in a Truecrypted container. If this app syncs all my EN cloud notes down to it's own database, can the location of the database be changed after installation? Or, if I installed it onto a non-Truecrypted container, would I need to uninstall/reinstall & change the location when reinstalling? (Hope that makes sense...)

Is there any way to see how far the sync is? Since I have so many notes, I prefer to not let it (seem to) run for 3-4 hours & then find out it's not doing anything... I have the desktop app open & have clicked "all notes" & "refresh" but am not seeing any notes/notebooks in the left pane.

• Level 5*

Getting some puzzling results here. After letting it sync for several hours, I only have notes showing though Aug 2010, and the tag tree is incomplete and what's there is not nested per my current tree. It's almost as if it's synced to my old 3.5 database, but I don't think that I have any of those around. Hmmmmm.

Hover your cursor over the TTC Sync tray icon. Status should show either "synchronizing" or "idle".

Not worth playing with the Calendar app until the initial sync is complete.

• Level 5*
After sync, I get many notes showing up that shouldn't, at least I don't think they should because they haven't been "time tagged". Am I missing something? How do I remove notes en mass?

Are you looking at All Notes (By Created)? Can you filter by Notebook to reduce the number? The only way you can remove notes en masse is to move them to an offline notebook - then TTC can't see them.

After sync, I get many notes showing up that shouldn't, at least I don't think they should because they haven't been "time tagged". Am I missing something? How do I remove notes en mass?

Are you looking at All Notes (By Created)? Can you filter by Notebook to reduce the number? The only way you can remove notes en masse is to move them to an offline notebook - then TTC can't see them.

I hope to learn the answer to davidward's question: should only time tagged notes show up? I hope that is the case, otherwise how and where the non-time tagged show in the calendar?

Any chance of something like this for the Mac version of Evernote? And syncing with iCal, the Mac native calendar, and maybe AddressBook? Either instead of, or preferably in addition to, the Google Calendar and Addressbook?

Ecco Pro (which I also used) and Infoselect (the best flatfile random database program ever, and with the fastest search on the planet) were the mainstays of my life in Windows for at least two decades (first Ecco Pro then InfoSelect). Having the best of both of those cherry-picked and put into an Evernote addon (or into EN itself) would be fantastic...! Evernote would rule the world!

I do still run EN for Windows on one machine that has some Windows-only stuff tht I run, but I've otherwise completely switched to the Mac now.

I hope to learn the answer to davidward's question: should only time tagged notes show up? I hope that is the case, otherwise how and where the non-time tagged show in the calendar?

I believe all notes are brought in and placed by DATE CREATED. You can select one of the following to narrow your view [attachment=0]ScreenClip.png[/attachment]

as well as using the filter window in the left pane. I think it would be helpful to have a date range to select notes to bring in or only do those with a specific date in the note text using the ## ## syntax.

• Level 5*

From what I have been able to deduce, you can't see all notes in all views. The "Dated" notes refers to those that have the ##date## syntax in the note. Those that only have a date created/updated are not dated for the purpose of this program. If you show the "All Notes (by created)" you can't see your reminder dates on the calendar - you have to click on "Dated Notes Only" to be able to see the reminders.

Thank you both Imason and FactMan. Your comments are helpful.

I think it is better to include just dated notes rather than all notes. Or at least allow an option of only include the dated notes.

It would be totally, unnecessarily, and undesirably overwhelming to include all notes. There isn't really any benefit to do so in a calendar/reminder program. One can always go to EN to find notes created or updated at any early time points.

• Level 5*

Owyn,

- Thanks for the detailed feedback and suggestions, which I'm recording. What calendar do you currently use?

- Yes, you're correct about the fuzziness. The thumbnails used in the EN Windows client are not exposed to 3rd parties - those would have been ideal. So I had to choose between using the web thumbnail, or the actual note contents itself. The former has the disadvantage of sometimes rendering fuzzy. The latter - using the note itself - when I tried it during development, had the disadvantage that the note seldom fit horizontally in the preview pane, so I found myself constantly scrolling horizontally to read portions of the note. I found that really irritating, so I opted for the thumbnails.

- Yes, you can empty the trash in EN to get rid of those notes in TTC, but I should not sync and display notes that have been deleted to the trash; I'll make that change.

FactMan,

The Evernote API talks only to the web store, so I can't officially get access to your local notes. Now, there is actually an undocumented interface to the Windows client, which one can use at one's own risk so I have not delved into it much yet. It might provide access to local notes, I'll have to see. (As a side note, for your Outlook issue, you might want to check out my Reminder Alerts add-in which should solve your problem.)

BurgersNFries,

Currently there's no way to change the location of the TTC database, but it would not be hard to make a registry entry for it. You'd then have to manually edit that, but I have a feeling that's no problem for you!

NightStalker,

I'm essentially a Windows developer so unfortunately no Mac version is imminent. If there are other Ecco or InfoSelect features you'd like to see in EN, let me know - you never know what's possible!

FactMan/davidward/cpchang,

You all have it pretty well figured out! It's an either/or situation at present - either you're looking at ALL of your notes (or a filtered subset if you use the left-hand filter panels) if you use the "All Notes (By Created)" or "All Notes (By Updated)" views, or you're looking at only those that you've annotated with a date using the ## syntax if you use the 'Dated Notes Only" view.

The truth is that this distinction reflects the fact the TTC is essentially two programs in one - the first two views give you an enhanced chronological view of your notes - providing a much richer way to view them in time than you can in EN's simple list view - and the third view gives you the ability to use EN as a scheduling and reminder app. I did think a lot about whether it was good to bundle what is essentially two different capabilities in the same app. Ultimately I decided to go ahead - we'll see how it goes!

I'm essentially a Windows developer so unfortunately no Mac version is imminent. If there are other Ecco or InfoSelect features you'd like to see in EN, let me know - you never know what's possible!

Phil,

InfoSelect allows multiple ticklers in the same note, which I find quite useful. For example I put all 4 due dates in the note of paying quarterly estimated taxes, instead of creating four notes. Will this be possible?

Your reminder feature in minutes (after @) is similar to FollowUp. So, would you consider having other time units such as h (for hour) d (for day) m (for mont) etc? A situation where a long lead time for reminders is useful is the renewal of passports. In InfoSelect I used to put in all our family members' passport expiration dates, with a nine-month reminder tickler. (That is because in many countries your passport has to be valid for at least six months when entering, and it takes up to a couple months to get renewal). Passports now has 10-year expiration dates. I can now remind my wife and our children when their passport is due for renewal in 2017, 2019, etc.

I switched from "All notes" to "Dated notes" view and the undated notes disappeared, as expected. I guess I missed that option and the appearance of all my notes by creation date confused me.

I have a dated note, using the ##date## syntax. Unfortunately, it stubbornly appeared on yesterday's date, the day it was created, instead of the future date I specified. The calendar was picking up this date (which I had inserted in the note ("8/19/2011" (no quotes) as a time stamp of a conversation) and ignoring the date I specified for calendaring (##feb 19 2012##).

I re-synced and refreshed several times but this persisted until I took the ##feb 19 2012## and moved IN FRONT OF 8/19/2011. It then correctly posted the note on the future date. Is this expected behavior?

btw, I don't see any way I would want to calendar the creation and update dates ("All notes") and would vote for only future dates, user chosen via ##date##.

I'll continue to play around with it but it looks like a great tool for creating a viable tickler system, which is exactly what many of us have been hoping for.

David

• Level 5*

davidward,

Regarding your date issue, could you send me the contents of that note to support@moreproductivenow.com? (Of course, feel free to remove any text that you don't want shared; I 'd just like to have the portion that contains the two dates to test with.)

And thanks for the useful feedback!

• Level 5*

cpchang,

I have "support for recurring appointments" on the features list to add, but didn't have "recognize multiple dates". I will have to give that one some thought!

Re. reminder time units - yes, that is definitely coming. I actually had it in the original design but just didn't get a chance to fit it into the initial beta. It will work exactly as you proposed - you'll append "m", "h", "d", "n", or "y" if you want to explicitly define the time unit of the reminder.

To use that, i must login with my Evernote LoginData first, and i am not sure, is that sure?

I consider, that the LoginData go to the programer / producer of the Evernote Calendaring Program :?

Can i trust them?

So, the Video shows me that, what i searched for :-) Good thing and i hope, i can use it in secure and without any trouble!

Nice Greetings!

• Level 5*

secretnation,

Not to worry, your Evernote login info will not go to me! It's only stored locally in your Windows registry - and that's only if you check the "Remember me on this computer" checkbox". And in the registry, it's stored in an encrypted format (using Triple DES encryption which is quite strong).

@phils. I primarily use Remember The Milk but also use Google Calendar. GCal is used strictly for appointments and events which are replicated in most cases in my RTM lists. RTM has mainly task items, and, more and more Evernote has task details.

I have access to GCal, RTM and Evernote on all my devices and environments. This is a minimum requirement for any replacement.

Installed TTC/S to Vista 64bit PC with updated EN.

Left it alone for 5 hours, assuming it's synching. Seems to have only synched today's notes - nothing prior?

8000 note EN database.

No "dated" notes in EN database as yet.

Confused. Has TTS been rejigged to look forward-only?

I think there IS value in import-all (timeline view of client-specific actions e.g.).

/Schooner

CORRECTION: SYNC CLAIMS IDLE, BUT IT HAS ONLY REACHED JAN 2011 + TODAY. PRESUMABLY STILL SYNCHING SILENTLY, WE'LL SEE.

• Level 5*

Schooner,

I'll reply to your email regarding the note sync issue. (There may be some remaining things to work out in terms of synching large note datasets.)

Same problem with sync here. Sync stopped some time in fall 2010 and did not continue. No notes visible at all.

I now deinstalled program. Shall I retry or wait for a new version with changes?

The program itself is great an adds great functionality to EN. Is there a sync with Outlook in the pipeline?

Best regards and thanks from Munich, EvB.

I like the idea of this, but if it can't access my local (work) notes, then it's pretty much just eye candy for me.

That said, I did try to install it on two different machines. On my fast machine, with the fast internet connection, the sync just stops on 11 Nov 10. Looking at the TuskToolsSync.log just spews 15 minutes worth of

SyncNote - Unknown exception at 22 Aug 11 08:21

Exception of type 'Evernote.EDAM.Error.EDAMUserException' was thrown.

And no matter what I do (e.g., restart the program, tell the task icon to sync), it won't update anymore.

• Level 5*

To all,

Please stay tuned, I'm working on an update that should help to complete the initial sync. Should be available in the next day.

crane,

To make sure I understand, when you say local (work) notes, you mean you have notes that you're not synching to the EN web service, and those are ones it's important for you to be able to access in TT Calendar, is that right?

To all,

crane,

To make sure I understand, when you say local (work) notes, you mean you have notes that you're not synching to the EN web service, and those are ones it's important for you to be able to access in TT Calendar, is that right?

Exactly. My most important notes are in local notebooks. These are the only notes that it would even make sense to see in some kind of calendar view (e.g., hmmm, I was working on that problem last month - oh look, there's some related notes on that wednesday.) Basically, just an easier way to search, by seeing the notes in a calendar view.

• Level 5*

BurgersNFries,

Those aren't scraps per se, that' the result of pressing the Alt key - the defined Microsoft ribbon interface is to show the shortcut letters when you press Alt (see for example http://computertrainingsolutions.biz/blog/ms-excel-tips/office-20072010-keyboard-shortcuts/ for further explanation to anyone who's interested).

However, you have pointed out an inconsistency - only a few of the TT Calendar ribbon buttons are showing the shortcuts. I need to be consistent and show shortcuts either for all or none of them. Duly noted!

Those aren't scraps per se, that' the result of pressing the Alt key - the defined Microsoft ribbon interface is to show the shortcut letters when you press Alt (see for example http://computertrainingsolutions.biz/blog/ms-excel-tips/office-20072010-keyboard-shortcuts/ for further explanation to anyone who's interested).

Ok, if I return to TT & press ALT, yes, they go away. But when I press ALT/TAB to go somewhere else, they return...??? It would seem they should only show up when TT is the active window. If I switch to Firefox or Outlook (per the two screen caps I posted) or Quicken, etc, it doesn't seem like they should be visible, IMO.

I tried downloading the free beta version of TuskTools Calendar software today... The installation went well for the most part, and then when I attempted to run the program, it told me that "Microsoft is not a valid short name" and told me the installation would need to be restarted. I restarted it a few times, but to no avail.

Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong here?

• Level 5*

I wanted to let everyone know that I've uploaded a new release of TuskTools Calendar.

If you've already downloaded a previous version, you should have just received (or will receive shortly) an email with information on obtaining the latest version. For those who haven't yet downloaded and are interested, please see http://www.moreproductivenow.com/evernote.html.

You can see a complete list of the changes in this release here:

http://support.moreproductivenow.com/entries/20391498-version-0-9-11-release-notes

Also, I've created a new online support area here:

http://support.moreproductivenow.com

There you'll find FAQ's, product release notes, and a place for you to conduct ongoing community discussions with other people who are using TuskTools Calendar (and other More Productive Now software).

Unfortunately, no improvement. No synch of notes. :(

When trying to log off (and on again), I get an error message regarding the registry.

Shall I submit logfiles? If yes, where would I find them?

Regards from Munich, EvB.

• Level 5*

evb,

Yes, can you please navigate to the following folder on your PC:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\MoreProductiveNow\TuskTools

(where [username] will be your Windows login name)

There should find a file called TuskToolsSync.log, can you email that to support@moreproductivenow.com?

Also in that folder should be a file with a .SDF file extension. In your support email, can you also include the file size of that file that's displayed?

Lastly, in your email, can you include either a screenshot or the exact text of the error message you see when you try to log off/on?

Thanks very much!

Installed and quick tested 0.9.11 beta.

Installer:

Does not completely exit on Finish. I usually archive all installers and could not move the 0.9.11 beta to my archives until I killed the left over installer process. For some reason I had neglected to do that with your prior beta so can not say if this is a regression.

Sync:

Sync on start of Calendar picked up all recent notes. There is no "Note Count" in Calendar so no way to explicitly check complete accuracy of Sync.

Tested "Reset Sync". Causes sync to go active for short period of time. No obvious harm from running funciton, but, I think I was already OK.

Saw TuskToolsSync.log for first time. Unfortunately not sure what I was doing when the following error was logged.

getSyncState - Web Exception at 8/27/2011 9:27:04 AM

Calendar:

Need Filtered Note count. This is both useful information and necessary for explicit testing of Sync + Calendar.

Re-tested calendar showing notes in Trash. Fixed.

Re-tested filter "Intitle:youtube". Still inconsistent with Windows client. Tested filter "any: intitle:youtube intitle:(youtube)". Worked. This confirms that filter syntax mimics Evernote search syntax. Did not do more complete test of filter syntax.

Tested click on Notebook stack. UI suggests they are selectable, but, nothing happens. At first thought It was unresponsive UI. But clicks on Notebooks in Stack worked.

Tested new clear functions in Notebooks and Tags column header context menus. Worked, but explicit Refresh View required after operation.

Tested clicking multiple tags. Confirmed that this is an any/or selection.

Did not leave Calendar running after test so can not comment on blank window error reported by others. Have it running in background now.

FYI:

Finally, we perform a fairly elaborate pipeline of transformations on both note text and search expressions in order to normalize the representation of the text for correct comparisons. We have Lucene analysis filters that operate on the sequence of tokens to:

Remove apostrophes and other intra-word punctuation

Convert upper-case letters to lower case

Remove English “stop words” like “the” and “and”

Normalize letters with diacritics so that “ñ” becomes “n”

Convert “narrow width” Japanese characters to “full width”

Reorganize Chinese/Japanese/Korean text into pseudo “words”

http://blog.evernote.com/tech/2011/08/2 ... explainin/

• Level 5*

Hi - I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here. but I downloaded the latest version (I think - there's no "about" option on the menus that I can see..) and installed it without obvious problems. Was then asked for my Evernote login details and waited a few hours while the database Synced. Then opened the calendar window and.. no views of any notes whatsoever. I have an accurate list of my notebooks and tags, and the calendar works in all its options, but the data is just not there. tried re-syncing and refreshing with no result. I'm now getting the "Synchronising..." message again from the TuskTools icon with no apparent result. I have around 5,000 notes and a few GB of database, so I guess this could just be taking some time, but I have no indication of whether the process has stalled or whether its still ongoing.

I'll stay with it and update this post if/ when something happens, but if anyone has any suggestions meantime...

On the supportive side (and if everything works!) this software seems the best idea since, well Evernote - I really keen to try it out! Much kudos to @phils for developing it so far. (OK you guys at EN are doing a pretty good job too :) )

Edit +3 hours - still no notes, so closed and restarted Calendar - still no notes. The Sync icon says 'Idle' and my net activity is minimal, so: suggestions welcomed...

Edit +4 hours - just shutting down for a while; closed Calendar, had a look at the Sync Log, which is a long repeated series of

SyncNote - Unknown exception at 29/08/2011 14:24:20

Exception of type 'Evernote.EDAM.Error.EDAMUserException' was thrown.

- there was no error warning via the icon or the desktop.

The dated note feature with the ability to set appointments and reminders is good, but the ability to drag future notes onto dates/times would make TT a much more useful app, imho. The ideal, for me, would be an integration of EN and Google Calendar.

• Level 5*

Owyn,

Thanks for your detailed notes. I've sent you a PM with some additional info and replies. Regarding the EN text transformations, yes, the good news is that EN exposes the results of these transformations to external apps, and that's what I'm using for the Calendar search capability.

• Level 5*

@phils - thanks - email received and new version currently installing. The tool tray icon says I'm syncing (again) and there's a low-level download going on, so I'll email you more information in a little while.

gazumped,

Thanks for trying out the software. I've sent you an email regarding help with the issue of your notes not appearing.

Hi Phil,

I was the first [edit] to object and do not get an email ;-) Is my problem too difficult? I hope you sort my issue out as well. The idea of your add-on program is fine, and I would love to use it.

BTW, @Evernote:

1. How about desktop search functionality again under Windows? (Well, I know, we had that issue various time already in the past.)

2. Other forum, but with my new Touchpad on my lap, I would love to get an updated, TP-compatible EN-client for WebOS as well. Let me tell you, HP's firesale here in Germany put lots of TPs into the field, WebOS is not a dead OS!

Thx to all in advance, EvB.

Good to see that the issue of dates already has been tackled though I don't see why it takes so much time for Evernote to implement. I think it is very simple:

Now they have date when created, date when updated so now add just a due date to be filled in by the user.

As well would be usefull if we can add dates within the note itself. Now there is an icon for inserting tables, inserting an horizontal line, a voice note , etc. So why not just add an icon for date and time?

Hope this will be implemented soon so that I can skip using Toodledo for my tasks. I am even thinking to move from Toodledo to Google Calendar but than again sync with Evernote would be exremely useful.

• Level 5

I'm having a blast with Tusktools Calendar beta version which pulls my Evernote information into a calendar.

It is very flexible and reminds me of the very old Lotus Agenda free-form date system.

TuskTools Calendar recognizes dates as well as time. For example:

• 1 through 31 = Nov. 12, December 3, 23 Aug
    1st through 31st = June 25th
    first through thirty-first = twenty-fourth of Feb
    today = (current system date)
    tomorrow = (day after current system date)
    yesterday = (day before current system date)
    fortnight = (14 days)
    in n days, weeks, months = in 4 days, in five months
    next, last = next month, last May 26th
    days of the week = last Wed, in 3 Mondays

• Level 5*

evb,

Sorry, did not mean to leave you out! Please check your email on how you can provide some additional diagnostic info to me. I am working hard to solve the missing-notes issue.

jbenson2,

You'll be interested to know that the Agenda similarity is no coincidence! When writing the date recognition engine, one of my main references was the Agenda documentation on how it recognizes dates (yes, I still have the the Agenda documentation - a truly amazing program).

Me, too. Works fine now, great, with the new installer file.

Great new interface, will see, were the additional functionality helps most ...

Compliments to Phil for a) program and :( bug fixing,

EvB.

• Level 5*

Just to note - I'm now a happy camper. Having a timeline view of my notes is good (Sorry Evernote, this one is more intuitive than yours...) and I've just started to explore what I can do with dating. Busy now having warm Christmassy feelings. More later. :D

• Level 5*

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

As you can see from a few of the above comments, the issue where no notes were displaying for some users has been resolved. Thanks to everyone for your patience, and thanks to a few great folks who helped to uncover the problem by testing several interim debug versions.

If you've already downloaded TuskTools Calendar previously, you should be receiving an email shortly with info on getting the latest version.

If you haven't yet downloaded and are interested in trying out the app, please visit http://www.moreproductivenow.com/evernote.html for info on obtaining it.

• Level 5*

pansovic,

Evernote will be adding a Due Date field - they don't have any announced timeframe but I'm told it is coming. When it arrives, TuskTools Calendar is already programmed so that it will pick that date field up and use it.

pansovic and dyuhas (and others who have commented),

Yes, now that the no-notes issue has been resolved... While there are still a few minor outstanding issues that people have reported, the next major task is to look at integration with Google Calendar and Outlook. This capability (especially, it seems, Google Calendar based on the comments here) is by far the most-requested enhancement request I've received.

• Level 5
Evernote will be adding a Due Date field - they don't have any announced timeframe but I'm told it is coming. When it arrives, TuskTools Calendar is already programmed so that it will pick that date field up and use it.

Glad to hear that TuskTools is ready to rock and roll. That is super news!

Here are some Evernote comments over the past year and half. Either they shifted to higher priorities or the addition is tougher than they expected. I have my fingers crossed that the Due Date field will be added sometime this year.

• Apr 5, 2010 - Phil Libin: "All notes will get a "due date" field in the next couple of versions."
    Apr 9, 2010 - Dave Engberg: "We plan to add the ability to specify a due date for a note, to sort the note list by due dates, and to be able to search for notes within a range of due dates."
    Sep 7, 2010 - Dave Engberg: "We are adding support for a 'Due Date' field on each note, which you could set to an appropriate date."
    Jan 27, 2011 - Dave Engberg: "We're planning to replace the name of the "subject date" field (which was confusing for most new users) with "due date" instead."
    Feb 15, 2011 - Phil Libin: Due Dates are "Definitely coming soon"

• Level 5*

AndreasM,

Actually all of the info used by TuskTools Calendar comes from the EN web service. This is the way the EN programming interface provides its data to third party apps.

But when you double-click a note to go to it, you are going to it in the Windows client. And therein lies the possible discrepancy: if the note exists in the EN web service and has been synched down to TT Calendar, but has not yet been synched down to the EN Windows client, you will get that "note no longer exists" error message.

I can see, though, now that I describe this scenario, that the text of that error message needs revising, as it inaccurately describes this particular scenario. I'll do that in the next release.

• Level 5*

Is it possible to get the necessary TT data from the local database and piggyback on regular updates to keep the web version current? I ask because my ISP had a small meltdown last night and my first thought was "good time to test the TT stuff". Nah. Things didn't work out too well without an active internet connection. That could cause problems when my laptop goes for field trips...

I'm sure the Elephant gods have thought this sort of thing through (there's another development that may be affected over here - viewtopic.php?f=56&t=29273&p=125603#p125603) but working out a correct strategy is slightly out of my pay grade...

I'm back online today (obviously) and back to testing...

• Level 5*

gazumped,

Actually there is an undocumented COM API in the EN Windows client. EN doesn't recommend and is not too crazy about 3rd parties using it, but they haven't said "absolutely don't" either. So I plan to take a look at it when I get a chance, and it's always possible I'll switch and use that as the TTCalendar data source instead of the officially-supported web service.

One question: when you say "things didn't work out too well without an active internet connection", what didn't work out? You should have been able to run TTCalendar successfully in that scenario; of course you won't receive any data updates into it, and I'm assuming that's what didn't work out?

• Level 5*

I was adding new notes with date information to see how I could best do some scheduling, and found that new notes didn't seem to appear in the TT view until I had synced the desktop client. Maybe that was due to a TT sync being necessary before the notes would appear, and my syncing the client tripped a TT sync too.. I got sidetracked (!) by my net connection crashing then, but couldn't get new notes to appear in the TT window at all. I'll do some more testing and switch off my laptop wifi to see what happens. More to follow..

Me, too. Works fine now, great, with the new installer file.

Great new interface, will see, were the additional functionality helps most ...

Compliments to Phil for a) program and :D bug fixing,

EvB.

I second that. With 0.9.15 sync works, I'm about to play with calendaring function! Yay!!! Thanks, Phil! :D

Note:

1. One glitch: first sync apparently didn't finish, so about 700 notes were missing. I reset the sync, re-synced, closed the program, reopened and they showed up.

2. Where in TuskTools Calendar is the About button that tells us what version we're using?

lena

• Level 5*

lenarr,

Good news, and thanks!

Yes, there are still times when the initial sync does not finish to completion. I'll be working more on that; but the good news is that resetting and re-running the sync, as you did, seems to work fine to finish it up.

An About box was added to the system-tray Sync module in its last release, and there will be an About box in the Calendar menu in its next version, coming within a day or so (which version will also include a sync to Google Calendar, by the way).

An About box was added to the system-tray Sync module in its last release, and there will be an About box in the Calendar menu in its next version, coming within a day or so (which version will also include a sync to Google Calendar, by the way).

I'm looking forward to that.

• Level 5*

I downloaded and installed the the latest version, 0.9.18.0. Attempted to open the Options dialog, and got an unhandled exception error. After clicking Continue in the error message, the Options dialog opened up. Here's the error detail:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at MPN.TuskToolsCalendar.OptionsDialog.LoadOptions()
at MPN.TuskToolsCalendar.OptionsDialog.OptionsDialog_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.SetVisibleCore(Boolean value)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.set_Visible(Boolean value)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.RunDialog(Form form)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog()
at MPN.TuskToolsCalendar.MainCalForm.BarButtonOptions_ItemClick(Object sender, ItemClickEventArgs e)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItem.OnClick(BarItemLink link)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarBaseButtonItem.OnClick(BarItemLink link)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItemLink.OnLinkClick()
at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItemLink.OnLinkAction(BarLinkAction action, Object actionArgs)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarButtonItemLink.OnLinkAction(BarLinkAction action, Object actionArgs)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.BarItemLink.OnLinkActionCore(BarLinkAction action, Object actionArgs)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.ViewInfo.BarSelectionInfo.ClickLink(BarItemLink link)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.ViewInfo.BarSelectionInfo.UnPressLink(BarItemLink link)
at DevExpress.XtraBars.Controls.CustomLinksControl.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5446 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
TuskToolsCalendar
Assembly Version: 0.9.18.0
Win32 Version: 0.9.18.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/More%20Productive%20Now/TuskTools%20Calendar/TuskToolsCalendar.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5447 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5446 (Win7SP1GDR.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.5420 (Win7SP1.050727-5400)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
DevExpress.XtraBars.v10.2
Assembly Version: 10.2.6.0
Win32 Version: 10.2.6.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/More%20Productive%20Now/TuskTools%20Calendar/DevExpress.XtraBars.v10.2.DLL
DevExpress.Utils.v10.2
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/More%20Productive%20Now/TuskTools%20Calendar/DevExpress.Utils.v10.2.DLL
DevExpress.XtraEditors.v10.2
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/More%20Productive%20Now/TuskTools%20Calendar/DevExpress.XtraEditors.v10.2.DLL
DevExpress.Data.v10.2
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/More%20Productive%20Now/TuskTools%20Calendar/DevExpress.Data.v10.2.DLL
DevExpress.XtraScheduler.v10.2.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/More%20Productive%20Now/TuskTools%20Calendar/DevExpress.XtraScheduler.v10.2.Core.DLL
DevExpress.XtraLayout.v10.2
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/More%20Productive%20Now/TuskTools%20Calendar/DevExpress.XtraLayout.v10.2.DLL
DevExpress.XtraScheduler.v10.2.Extensions
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/More%20Productive%20Now/TuskTools%20Calendar/DevExpress.XtraScheduler.v10.2.Extensions.DLL
DevExpress.XtraTreeList.v10.2
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/More%20Productive%20Now/TuskTools%20Calendar/DevExpress.XtraTreeList.v10.2.DLL
DevExpress.XtraScheduler.v10.2
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/More%20Productive%20Now/TuskTools%20Calendar/DevExpress.XtraScheduler.v10.2.DLL
DevExpress.Xpo.v10.2
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/More%20Productive%20Now/TuskTools%20Calendar/DevExpress.Xpo.v10.2.DLL
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Data
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
DevExpress.Xpo.v10.2.Providers
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/More%20Productive%20Now/TuskTools%20Calendar/DevExpress.Xpo.v10.2.Providers.DLL
System.Web.Services
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Web.Services/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Web.Services.dll
System.Data.SqlServerCe
Assembly Version: 9.0.242.0
Win32 Version: 3.0.5300.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Data.SqlServerCe/9.0.242.0__89845dcd8080cc91/System.Data.SqlServerCe.dll
System.Transactions
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Transactions/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll
System.EnterpriseServices
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.EnterpriseServices/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.EnterpriseServices.dll

• Level 5*

Actually, I get this any time I try to run TuskTools Calendar. Shut it all down, and restart, same thing. Also for shutting down Tusk Tools Sync...

Edit: back in business, no more unhandled exception. Thanks, Phil.

• Level 5*

Hi Jeff,

I'll follow up with you shortly via email. Probably best to keep specific issues to my Support forum; I'm hoping to keep this thread to a more general discussion of the product so as not to impose too much on the Evernote folks.

• Level 5*
Hi Jeff,

I'll follow up with you shortly via email. Probably best to keep specific issues to my Support forum; I'm hoping to keep this thread to a more general discussion of the product so as not to impose too much on the Evernote folks.

OK, I'll do that next time. Will d/l the new one, no worries.

• Level 5*

** Now sync to Google Calendar **

I wanted to let everyone know that I've added to TuskTools Calendar the ability to synchronize your Evernote notes to Google Calendar. Any notes you make that include the TuskTools ##date## annotation will be synched onto your Google Calendar if you enable this option.

See http://www.moreproductivenow.com/evernote.html for info on the TuskTools Calendar; see http://support.moreproductivenow.com/entries/20423041-google-calendar-synchronization-usage-notes for some info on the Google Calendar sync.

The google calendar sync seems to work now. It took a while for a note made before the update to show up on my calendar, but I just made a new note in Evernote and within a couple minutes it was on my google calendar. Awesome!

ON my PC-----I have Evernote on my PC, and have added tasks to to EVN from Outlook 7 by right clicking and then add to Ev4.

ON MY TAB----I am using Galaxy Tab 7 and the android app. Seems to work ok but - It takes a long time to load the task into EVN app sent from PC. The sync is so slow I thought it was not working. One task I sent did appear. Others I sent I have not seen yet.

I would like to use your program but use with Outlook 7 not Google.

Any tips for getting the sync on android to work?

• Level 5*

pamelaja,

I would like to use your program but use with Outlook 7 not Google.

Yes, I'm definitely planning to add sync to Outlook; it will work exactly like sync to Google Calendar now does.

In terms of your other questions, since those aren't related to TuskTools Calendar, it's probably best to start a new forum thread to ask those - I'm afraid they will get lost in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Level 5*

I wanted to let everyone know that there is a new version of TuskTools Calendar now available. Please see the Release Notes for details on what's new.

For folks who have already downloaded, check your email inbox for info on downloading the new release.

For general info on TuskTools Calendar and how to obtain it, please see the product web page.

And to discuss the product - for issues, questions, feature requests, etc. - please visit the online forum.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm impressed with what I read and hear about Tusk Tools Calendaring capabilities but when I started to download this to my computer my Norton protection sent an alarm saying that this software is seldom downloaded or used and may cause harm to my computer. I'm a bit put off by that so have stopped the install and wonder what the community has to say about this. What harm, if any, could this software cause? It seems to me that it would be counter productive for Tusk to be in such a mode especially given its beneficial contribution to Evernote with this calendaring feature.

Thanks, folks, in advance for any comments you may offer me so I can continue this without incident.

George

• Level 5*
when I started to download this to my computer my Norton protection sent an alarm saying that this software is seldom downloaded or used and may cause harm to my computer.

I stopped believing in Norton a long time ago. Tusk Tools is a fairly new product; does Norton warn about all new products? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Tusk Tools is a pretty polished application that I never had any problems with (I haven't installed the latest edition, though). The developer has been open and available, and though i don't know his previous work, I think that he's got a good reputation from those folks who do know it. Tusk Tools is not going to break your computer.

but when I started to download this to my computer my Norton protection sent an alarm saying that this software is seldom downloaded or used and may cause harm to my computer.

In the grand scheme of the internet, yes, TT is "seldom" downloaded or used - so Norton is making an assumption about the product or (more realistically) trying to cover it's butt by giving the user this warning. The developer of TT is a member of this forum & actively replies to any posts regarding his software. I've downloaded it but have never been able to get it fully synced. (I have a lot of notes.) I've just not had the time to focus on contacting the developer & getting this resolved. But I do hope to get it up & running sometime in the next couple of months. From what I've seen of it, it seems like a great tool that works in conjunction with Evernote.

• Level 5*

(Thanks to jefito and BurgersNFries for the responses.)

I'm the author of TT Calendar. As BNF said, TT Calendar is seldom downloaded in comparison with the universe of Internet apps, so Norton sometimes displays that warning. Unfortunately there's not much I can do about it choosing to display that message. But I can assure you the app is safe and doesn't contain anything harmful to you or your PC.

• 3 weeks later...

I find this program to be a little buggy. It sounds absolutely terrific and I've somewhat played with it but it's not quite there. For example, I am now trying to download the newest version of it and simply cannot do it. I think when all the kinks are ironed out it has the potential to be a terrific companion to Evernote, but it's definitely not there now.

• Level 5*

idoc,

Sorry for the complication; I've just replied to your support ticket and emailed you the download link (I believe it was you that submitted the support ticket).

My only request is that you not confuse the app itself with problems in the delivery mechanism, which is unrelated to any coding or bugs in the app. I do realize that my current delivery mechanism means that it's harder to re-request a download link and I'm working on that. One thing I'm doing in the near future is adding a feature to the app where it will check for and prompt you to download a new version from within the app itself, like the Evernote client (and many other apps these days) do.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to Evernote and bought Premium for the offline facility and to able to use my iPad more for business, Up until now I have been able to sync my Ipad and Iphone with my business Outlook Calendar (Outlook 2007) but after installing Evernote apps I notice that I've lost my two way sync - in other words calendar entries that I make in my iPhone do not show up on my Outlook, but entries I make in Outlook are being sync'd onto my phone and iPad.

I've searched this thread as best as I can but can't see a solution in this topic - or is there one?

• Level 5*

If you have just installed the Evernote app on your iPad then I'd be very surprised if this is having any effect on your calendar sync - Apple really doesn't let apps interact with each other.

I'd try deleting the calendar and then adding it back.

Archived