Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

REQUEST: Calendar

windows evernote calendar

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#1 phils

phils

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • Group: Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:30 AM

For those who've been wanting to use Evernote for calendaring, appointments, and reminders - I've just posted an initial beta of TuskTools Calendar which gives you these capabilities.

In addition, it gives you the ability to view your notes chronologically in a variety of ways, on traditional calendar views, or on a continuous scrolling timeline view.

Please visit http://www.moreprodu...m/evernote.html for more information, or to download the free beta.

Your feedback on this application is encouraged as well!

Phil Seeman,
More Productive Now
Phil Seeman,
More Productive Now

#2 FactMan

FactMan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 514 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:41 AM

Wow! From the video it looks amazing. Are there any requirements for other software (other than EN)? The interface looks very similar to Outlook, so I wondered if it is an Outlook add-in? If not, maybe you should be talking seriously with EN! Not sure how this would work on the mobile devices (esp. phones), but for those of us with desktops it looks like being the answer to "how do I make EN into a GTD tool?" I will install it when I get a bit more time ...

#3 lmason

lmason

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:53 AM

I agree. It looks great. Are you able to pull data into the calendar from outlook or export to outlook? I'd hate having two separate calendars to follow. Though if you can export to outlook, the data would be there along with all my other appointments and on my iPhone and I can use your calendar app for filtering and viewing projects....

Look forward to trying it out.

#4 jfkaess

jfkaess

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:49 AM

I'd just like to say that Phil Seeman is the real deal. I've used his addons for Ecco Pro and outlook going back almost 20 years. He knows how to integrate with other programs and especially how to add important functionality. it looks like he has incorporated Agenda type abilities into LifeRunner, something that hasn't been done much by other programs, even though Lotus did it 20 years ago.

If I weren't retired, I'd be in line to buy LifeRunner when it comes out of beta. It also seems to implement a lot of GTD aspects, which is a huge plus for those of us who have gotten on the GTD bandwagon.

premium user since 2010

#5 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 12,184 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:41 AM

Wow... This looks amazing!!! I'm going to download it this weekend.
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#6 cpchang

cpchang

• PipPipPip
  • Title: Bushwhacker
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:06 AM

Fantastic! The use of the date function is like the grand old InfoSelect in which date can be imbedded anywhere in a note with two asterisks (**). Any plan to develop smartphone and web apps? Currently I use Business calendar for Android and Astrid task manager for Android, both integrated with Google Calendar but not with EN. Cloud and smartphone are essential for me. Hope you can develop a full EN-linked system I will be happy to pay for it!

#7 phils

phils

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:36 PM

FactMan and lmason,
No, there are no requirements for any software other than Evernote for Windows. (Actually that's not even technically required, but you can't double-click a note in TTCalendar and have that note open if you don't have Evernote for Windows installed - and actually it needs to be v4.4 or later, which is when Evernote added "note links".)

It's not an Outlook add-in and doesn't talk to external calendars at present, but that is definitely a good possibility for an added capability, the two leading candidates for integration being Outlook and Google Calendar.

Actually I have been talking with EN - they are a truly wonderful group of folks (see more on that below), and TTCalendar will be available in the Evernote Trunk very soon.

cpchang,
Yes, you caught me, I definitely "borrowed" the general date embedding format from InfoSelect. In terms of smartphone and web, rather than developing a separate interface, I think the best solution is probably what I referred to above - namely, integrating with Outlook and Google Calendar. It sounds like doing the latter would meet your needs.

jfkaess,
Thanks so much for your kind words, I really appreciate it!

Since you mention another of my applications, LifeRunner, which also includes Evernote integration... yes, it's the beneficiary of some of what I consider the best aspects of past software like Agenda. Frankly I've been at a loss to understand why succeeding generations of software has failed to incorporate some of these important aspects of past applications. I finally got tired of waiting for that to happen, and decided I had best do it myself if no one else was going to, and that was part of my motivation for creating LifeRunner. (The other main motivation being that email is broken, and in my view no application has yet effectively solved that problem.) But, this is all a whole other topic unto itself!

Actually it's quite fitting that you mention Ecco Pro. I just spent the day Thursday with the Evernote gang at the 1st Evernote Trunk Conference in San Francisco, and as I told their CEO Phil Libin, Evernote is the first software company I've encountered since 1997 that I feel as passionately about as I did about Arabesque/NetManage, who made Ecco. Every one of the people I've met at Evernote are fantastic individuals and a joy to interact with. As I say, I haven't felt that way about a company since Bob, Pete and the gang at Arabesque.
Phil Seeman,
More Productive Now

#8 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Evernote Geek
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:52 PM

Watched video. Installed. Tested. Watched video again. Re-tested.

General notes as follows:
- Fat client when other components (SQL Compact Server, .NET) included.
- Basically works. Timeline view is fun. Calendar uses not good fit. I don't need another calendar that is not available everywhere I am. Considering Zendone when available, but, it uses Google Calendar.
- Took about an hour, in the middle of the night, to do my first sync of approx 4971 notes to TTC(TuskTools Calendar). Subsequent syncs completed quickly. Confirmed that only notes that have been synced to the service will show in TTC.
- One of the first things I noticed was how fuzzy text looked in note view. Realized on second listen to video that you are showing scaled up thumbnails.
- Link to Evernote client quick and correct.
- Refresh view is fairly slow and needed after TTC sync.

Problems observed:
- Tested filter "intitle:youtube". Worked but inconsistent with results on Windows client. That also returns notes with title containing e.g. "(YouTube)".
- Tray icon is for TTC sync. Expected choosing Exit from it's context menu would also close TTC. It did not.
- No way to reset all filter critera. "Clear" only clears text box. It does not un-check notebooks or tags.
- Sync includes notes that are in trash. Need to empty trash on Evernote to remove the notes from TTC.
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)
Windows 7 SP1 & XP SP3 (EN 4.5.8.7356)
iPod Touch 2G (iOS 4.2.1, EN 4.1.9) / Blackberry Playbook (OS 2.0.1, EN 1.3)
Latest stable browsers & clippers(Chrome(default), Firefox, IE8/9)

#9 FactMan

FactMan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:13 PM

Thanks for the clarification. I have now installed it, and I can see the potential for it. I have submitted a bug about searching for "Today's" in the text (actually it was in the title). That caused a crash.

I keep a lot of my notes on my hard drive, so are there any plans to be able to access the local database instead of or as well as the web version? That would be much more useful to me in case I move the notes that I want reminders about to an offline notebook ... One of my main gripes about Outlook is that I can flag a message with a reminder (not adding it to my task list) and no reminder actually pops up. It does for tasks. I guess for now I have to keep all those things in an online notebook ...

#10 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,184 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:16 PM

- Took about an hour, in the middle of the night, to do my first sync of approx 4971 notes to TTC(TuskTools Calendar). Subsequent syncs completed quickly. Confirmed that only notes that have been synced to the service will show in TTC.

Ruh, roh. Guess I won't be able to fully play with it b/c I have over 40,000 notes in the EN cloud. OTOH, if I were to rebuild my Windows EN database from the cloud, I know it would take several hours, so I guess them's the breaks.

I just spent the day Thursday with the Evernote gang at the 1st Evernote Trunk Conference in San Francisco, and as I told their CEO Phil Libin, Evernote is the first software company I've encountered since 1997 that I feel as passionately about as I did about Arabesque/NetManage, who made Ecco. Every one of the people I've met at Evernote are fantastic individuals and a joy to interact with. As I say, I haven't felt that way about a company since Bob, Pete and the gang at Arabesque.

This is good to hear. IME, I've had nothing but good vibes when dealing with the EN staff, most especially Dave, Phil L. & Heather, when I've had problems. It's nice to hear good things about them from a different point of view.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#11 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,184 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:25 PM

I'm downloading it now, but have a question. I prefer to keep my Evernote database in a Truecrypted container. If this app syncs all my EN cloud notes down to it's own database, can the location of the database be changed after installation? Or, if I installed it onto a non-Truecrypted container, would I need to uninstall/reinstall & change the location when reinstalling? (Hope that makes sense...)

#12 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,184 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:39 PM

Is there any way to see how far the sync is? Since I have so many notes, I prefer to not let it (seem to) run for 3-4 hours & then find out it's not doing anything... I have the desktop app open & have clicked "all notes" & "refresh" but am not seeing any notes/notebooks in the left pane.

#13 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,184 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:44 PM

Ok, some notes, tags & notebooks now showing up in the desktop app.

#14 davidward

davidward

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:11 PM

After sync, I get many notes showing up that shouldn't, at least I don't think they should because they haven't been "time tagged". Am I missing something? How do I remove notes en mass?

#15 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • 10,790 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:29 PM

Getting some puzzling results here. After letting it sync for several hours, I only have notes showing though Aug 2010, and the tag tree is incomplete and what's there is not nested per my current tree. It's almost as if it's synced to my old 3.5 database, but I don't think that I have any of those around. Hmmmmm.
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#16 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Evernote Geek
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:35 PM

Hover your cursor over the TTC Sync tray icon. Status should show either "synchronizing" or "idle".

Not worth playing with the Calendar app until the initial sync is complete.
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)
Windows 7 SP1 & XP SP3 (EN 4.5.8.7356)
iPod Touch 2G (iOS 4.2.1, EN 4.1.9) / Blackberry Playbook (OS 2.0.1, EN 1.3)
Latest stable browsers & clippers(Chrome(default), Firefox, IE8/9)

#17 FactMan

FactMan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:42 PM

After sync, I get many notes showing up that shouldn't, at least I don't think they should because they haven't been "time tagged". Am I missing something? How do I remove notes en mass?

Are you looking at All Notes (By Created)? Can you filter by Notebook to reduce the number? The only way you can remove notes en masse is to move them to an offline notebook - then TTC can't see them.

#18 cpchang

cpchang

• PipPipPip
  • Title: Bushwhacker
  • 129 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:58 AM

Are you looking at All Notes (By Created)? Can you filter by Notebook to reduce the number? The only way you can remove notes en masse is to move them to an offline notebook - then TTC can't see them.

I hope to learn the answer to davidward's question: should only time tagged notes show up? I hope that is the case, otherwise how and where the non-time tagged show in the calendar?

#19 NightStalker

NightStalker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:09 AM

Any chance of something like this for the Mac version of Evernote? And syncing with iCal, the Mac native calendar, and maybe AddressBook? Either instead of, or preferably in addition to, the Google Calendar and Addressbook?

Ecco Pro (which I also used) and Infoselect (the best flatfile random database program ever, and with the fastest search on the planet) were the mainstays of my life in Windows for at least two decades (first Ecco Pro then InfoSelect). Having the best of both of those cherry-picked and put into an Evernote addon (or into EN itself) would be fantastic...! Evernote would rule the world!

I do still run EN for Windows on one machine that has some Windows-only stuff tht I run, but I've otherwise completely switched to the Mac now.

#20 lmason

lmason

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:18 AM

I hope to learn the answer to davidward's question: should only time tagged notes show up? I hope that is the case, otherwise how and where the non-time tagged show in the calendar?

I believe all notes are brought in and placed by DATE CREATED. You can select one of the following to narrow your view [attachment=0]ScreenClip.png[/attachment]
as well as using the filter window in the left pane. I think it would be helpful to have a date range to select notes to bring in or only do those with a specific date in the note text using the ## ## syntax.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, evernote, calendar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote