A way to make EVERY new note go to the default notebook?

• Level 5*

I need every new note to go to my default notebook unless I specifically specify a different notebook at note entry.

Most notes do, however, if I am in a different notebook in the client, then right-click on the Windows 7 jump list and create a new note, it defaults to the notebook currently visible in the 4.5 client.This means once in a while, notes bypass my inbox and never get processed, which is a bit like creating a reminder post it note and then sticking it in the drawer immediately.

Looking at your list of notebooks, go to the one you want to make default. Right click on that notebook and then select properties, you will now see a box to check "Make this my default notebook" Now, when you look at all of your notebooks you will see a small gray arrow pointing to the notebook that you have just selected as "your" default notebook. You can change this in the future, but for now, when you send anything into Evernote is will go to "this default notebook"

Regards,

David in Wichita

• Level 5*

Looking at your list of notebooks, go to the one you want to make default. Right click on that notebook and then select properties, you will now see a box to check "Make this my default notebook" Now, when you look at all of your notebooks you will see a small gray arrow pointing to the notebook that you have just selected as "your" default notebook. You can change this in the future, but for now, when you send anything into Evernote is will go to "this default notebook"

Regards,

David in Wichita

David, did you read my post, or just the subject line?

Currently there isn't a way to change that functionality. You'll want to try and make sure you always end up "All Notebooks" before making notes, which I'm pretty sure you already know.

Thanks for the feedback

• Level 5*

Currently there isn't a way to change that functionality. You'll want to try and make sure you always end up "All Notebooks" before making notes, which I'm pretty sure you already know.

Thanks for the feedback

Thanks DLU. I understand what you are saying, but it is hard to do, especially on Windows 7. It is easy to get into a folder and do stuff, get side tracked and come back to the PC an hour later and hit "New Note" from the W7 jump list, not realizing that the main Evernote Window that is in the background somewhere is in a different notebook, not "all notebooks"

• Level 5*
. It is easy to get into a folder and do stuff, get side tracked and come back to the PC an hour later and hit "New Note" from the W7 jump list, not realizing that the main Evernote Window that is in the background somewhere is in a different notebook, not "all notebooks"

EdH,

Have you tried using the Evernote global keyboard shortcut for New Note?

I believe this will create a new Note in your default Notebook, regardless of your current Notebook selection.

This is an option I'd like to see as well.

I believe this will create a new Note in your default Notebook, regardless of your current Notebook selection.

Nope, it creates a note in the notebook which is currently open in Evernote main window.

• Level 5*

Nope, it creates a note in the notebook which is currently open in Evernote main window.

I stand corrected. This is correct for EN Win.

However, EN Mac creates the new Note in the Default Notebook. (tested and verified, again)

Silly me, my initial response was based on a test I did using EN Mac.

I expected EN Win to behave the same. ;)

DLU, if you would please, change EN Win behavior to match EN Mac when using the global shortcut for new Note.

IMO, this is what most users would expect.

• The user may not remember which Notebook is selected
  • The user may very well be working on a different task not related to the last Notebook selected
  • Many users have a Default "Inbox" NB to capture new Notes. Later they assign each Note to the proper NB
  • So the user is used to reviewing the Notes in the Default NB.
  • If the Note is created in some other NB, then the user may have trouble finding it later.

However, when I am in the Evernote app, and I have selected a Notebook, then I believe the behavior expected by most would be to create the new Note in that Notebook.

• Since I am in Evernote, I can clearly see which NB is selected
  • If I have selected a Notebook (rather than "All Notebooks"), most likely I want to create a number of Notes in that NB

Thanks.

• Level 5*

I stand corrected. This is correct for EN Win.

However, EN Mac creates the new Note in the Default Notebook. (tested and verified, again)

Silly me, my initial response was based on a test I did using EN Mac.

I expected EN Win to behave the same. ;)

DLU, if you would please, change EN Win behavior to match EN Mac when using the global shortcut for new Note.

IMO, this is what most users would expect.

• The user may not remember which Notebook is selected
  • The user may very well be working on a different task not related to the last Notebook selected
  • Many users have a Default "Inbox" NB to capture new Notes. Later they assign each Note to the proper NB
  • So the user is used to reviewing the Notes in the Default NB.
  • If the Note is created in some other NB, then the user may have trouble finding it later.

However, when I am in the Evernote app, and I have selected a Notebook, then I believe the behavior expected by most would be to create the new Note in that Notebook.

• Since I am in Evernote, I can clearly see which NB is selected
  • If I have selected a Notebook (rather than "All Notebooks"), most likely I want to create a number of Notes in that NB

Thanks.

And the New Note button from the jump list should behave the same way.

A definite +1 from me for JMichael's suggestion.The button should open a new note in the current notebook and the keyboard shortcut should opena new note in the default notebook.

An acceptable alternative for me would be to add an option to the dropdown attached to the New Note button that offered "New Note in default Notebook".

An even better option would be to have two options in the dropdown: "New Note in current Notebook". and "New Note in default Notebook", and allow the user to set one of them as default behaviour.

Cheers

Owen

• 2 months later...

I know this is an old topic, but +1 more here. What's the use of a "default notebook" setting if the client ignores it regularly?

If all new notes go to the default notebook, there is one place to look for that new note you can't find.

With the current behavior, that new note could be in any notebook, depending on where you last looked in Evernote, no matter how long ago that was.

I know this is an old topic, but +1 more here. What's the use of a "default notebook" setting if the client ignores it regularly?

If all new notes go to the default notebook, there is one place to look for that new note you can't find.

With the current behavior, that new note could be in any notebook, depending on where you last looked in Evernote, no matter how long ago that was.

The purpose of the default notebook is so EN has a place to put notes created when you're in "all notes" or emails are forwarded or notes auto created (IE IFTTT), etc. And there is still only "one place to look for that new note you can't find"...all notebooks. Just sort by date created & you'll be able to easily find that "new note you can't find."

The purpose of the default notebook is so EN has a place to put notes created when you're in "all notes" or emails are forwarded or notes auto created (IE IFTTT), etc. And there is still only "one place to look for that new note you can't find"...all notebooks. Just sort by date created & you'll be able to easily find that "new note you can't find."

Yeah, but many users (including myself) have the habit of sending all new notes to one notebook (called "Inbox" for example) and tagging/assigning to a different notebook thereafter. So it'd be much useful for many if there was a way to toggle this behavior.

• 2 months later...

I'm resurrecting this old thread because I recently started using the Evernote Windows desktop client and I'm having this same problem with the keyboard shortcuts. I love love love the Win+A and Ctrl-Alt-V keyboard shortcuts. However, the notes created by these shortcuts don't go to the default notebook! I was very surprised by this and it's very annoying to have to go in and change the notebook afterwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Please EN you need this fixed! +1 for the option of creatig new note in default notebook when using the shortcut and have it in the current notebook if using the button. An option to do so in the current notebook when creating a new note using the shortcut would be great as well.

I tend to create new notes using the shortcut and I lose some of those because of this lack of functionality.

I was surprised to hear it works OK on Mac but not on Windows.

Have to +1 this myself. My reason is more for ScanSnap scanning. I can be working on several projects (aka. notebooks) and scanning several unrelated documents for late sorting and tagging. The first time I realized it I ended up with a bunch of unrelated scanned documents spread across the several projects (aka. notebooks). Under "Clipping Preferences" their is already a setting for this, but it just isn't honored (at least on the Windows client). Tried to put screen clip here but don't know if it will be viewable or not.... https://www.evernote.com/pub/lamberta/communityshared

+1 here for the global keyboard shortcut going to default notebook. I almost want to get a mac for that reason alone. That feature would be awesome. I can live with my Scansnap going into whichever notebook I'm currently in then moving the notes, but I understand your frustration z0rl2c.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

Noted and will be discussed.

DLU, anything on this? This is now more critical than ever with Business accounts. I just tested it and if a business notebook is active, then a new note from the Windows 7 jump list goes to a business notebook and not the user's personal default notebook, and this is critical as the user cannot delete the accidental addition because only admins can permanently delete notes. Users can just "trash" them, but they are there potentially forever.

This has to be fixed to keep the firewall between a user's personal data and company data.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Hrm... asked about this in the business webinar today as Evernote advertises being all about protecting user's personal info, and this risks companies owning certian data since once a note is created in a business notebook instead of the default, the user cannot delete the note.

Wasn't answered. <_<

Business and personal info should never be mixed on any device, and any system. Doing so is a recipe for disaster!

This situation is being pushed by technology hounds, and it is a huge danger.

It is also forbidden by company policy at many major companies, last I checked, and for good reason. The company must act on any info that you accidentally share, no matter what it is, any time they come in contact with it. Anybody that reads or looks at it must report you. That is one reason Evernote does not allow the delete. Once you share, the data belongs to the company. Good luck with that!

And if the company lets you display their info on your device such that it can be stored by you, or remain on the device, they have lost control, and put the company at risk. Some places in the past had sealed up the cd drives, and USB, on company PC's, and now look.

Bet the CEO's don't have a ruling on their liability, or yours, on this yet.

If this direction is to continue, the device needs to have a demarcation, such as a complete partition, between personal and business, but that does not necessarily mitigate. At the very least, personal Evernote should not talk to Business Evernote in the same session. Evernote seems to think this merge of personal and business access is the way to go, and has fouled up several platforms due to rushed implementation of this, but note well the damage possible to the user of this facility, and the company that allows it. It seems to be ruining the Evernote we originally signed up for, also. Good Luck!

• Level 5*

That is one reason Evernote does not allow the delete.

Evernote doesn't allow the delete because they haven't built the functionality yet. They say publicly it is in the admin panel but it isn't. It is coming though.

• 1 month later...

So, any progress here? This business of ignoring the "default notebook" setting is really old. And it doesn't seems like ti should be such a difficult fix. And since the win is so big (GTD anyone?) it seems a no-brainer to me.

This should be addressed in the latest pre-release build, 4.6.2 RC It should make the next public release. We've changed the global shortcut (the one activated by the Tray icon) to always go to the default notebook

• Level 5*

FWIW, this seems to be fixed in 7.6.2.7927 that was released today. The only way I can get a note NOT to get started in the default is to have EN open, be in another notebook and hit new note. Then the new note goes to that notebook, which makes sense. Notes created from the task bar though always go to my default.

Thanks!

I don't think it's fixed yet. I got the latest version installed and re-started. I just used ScanSnap manager which uses Evernote to open the scanned PDF. The new note was placed in whatever notebook I had open, not the default notebook. I have 4.6.2.7927.Windows client.

• 3 months later...

This is especially annoying when the last notebook you highlighted is a shared notebook that you don't own! In this case the new note or captured web page content gets placed under the shared notebook, and you can't edit, move or delete that note and it will not sync to the owner's notebook -- thus leaving it in limbo for the person that captured or entered the note. (This is using the latest Windows client 4.6.6.8360. You can't use the web app afterward to fix it!)

I agree with the idea offered earlier to place all new notes in the default folder unless the [Windows] client has focus and another folder is selected. And a means to get the local copies of new notes to at least sync so you could let the notebook owner review and delete as a follow-up action. That should satisfy corporate policies on keeping information trails.

• 10 months later...

ALL SO COMPLICATED. WAS MUCH BETTER IN PREVIOUS EDITIONS. I WANT TO HAVE A BUSINESS NOTEBOOK AS THE DEFAULT AND THE PROPERTIES/SET DEFAULT DOES NOT APPLY THE BUSINESS NOTEBOOKS?? WHY? I DON'T HAVE EVERNOTE FOR PERSONAL BUSINESS, I HAVE A BUSINESS VERSION FOR A REASON, THAT IS, IT'S FOR BUSINESS. SO, WHY CAN I NOT SET A BUSINESS NOTEBOOK AS THE DEFAULT, AND, HAVE MY NEW NOTES ALWAYS FOR INTO IT AS A COLLECTION POINT?

• 1 month later...

I'm using EN 5.3 on Windows 8.1. The problem still isn't fixed. On my machine, I want unfiled stuff to go into the unfiled notebook. It is selected unfiled as the default. Now, I go into Tools/Option/Clipping and make sure that "Specify Clip Destination" is set to Unfiled. Hit OK.

Just to make sure I'm not hallucinating, I go back and double check that "Specify Clip Destination" is set to Unfiled. It is, so far so good.

Now I click into a random notebook (not unfiled.) I don't do anything, just select a notebook.

Just to make sure I'm not hallucinating, I go back and check that "Specify Clip Destination" is set to Unfiled. It's NOT. It has reset itself to "Use selected or default notebook." 

It looks to me like the option to select clip destination doesn't "stick." 

I'm using EN 5.3 on Windows 8.1. The problem still isn't fixed. On my machine, I want unfiled stuff to go into the unfiled notebook. It is selected unfiled as the default. Now, I go into Tools/Option/Clipping and make sure that "Specify Clip Destination" is set to Unfiled. Hit OK.

Just to make sure I'm not hallucinating, I go back and double check that "Specify Clip Destination" is set to Unfiled. It is, so far so good.

Now I click into a random notebook (not unfiled.) I don't do anything, just select a notebook.

Just to make sure I'm not hallucinating, I go back and check that "Specify Clip Destination" is set to Unfiled. It's NOT. It has reset itself to "Use selected or default notebook." 

It looks to me like the option to select clip destination doesn't "stick." 

Looks like a bug.

Workaround: Click the 'Change' button and select a notebook. That should stick.

>>Workaround: Click the 'Change' button and select a notebook. That should stick.<<

I tried that, it doesn't.  It will "appear" to stick when I go back and look at it. But if I go to a random (not default) notebook and send something in, it goes into the randomly selected notebook. When I go back into Options, I find that it has reset itself, it didn't stick.

>>Workaround: Click the 'Change' button and select a notebook. That should stick.<<

I tried that, it doesn't.  It will "appear" to stick when I go back and look at it. But if I go to a random (not default) notebook and send something in, it goes into the randomly selected notebook. When I go back into Options, I find that it has reset itself, it didn't stick.

Oops, you're right (I was simply looking at what the options showed when open/close/open the options dialog) - and that only works while the program is open.

It's a bigger bug.

• 1 month later...

June, 2014 and no change to this vexing behavior.

EN has done so many other cool things -- can we get this Very Useful Thing done, too, please?

In what way are you seeing this occur? Web clipping? Emailing into evernote? 

If it is either of those things, make sure you go to Evernote.com>account settings>smart filing "Off"

Likewise, for the web slipper, click your username at the bottom>Options> and un-check smart filing. 

• Level 5*

KimberHM, EN fixed this over a year ago. The only time you get a new note created in a folder other than the default is when you are in evernote using the EN user interface, are in another folder, and select New Note. That makes sense. If you are in  your "Legal" notebook and create a new note, it makes sense to do it in that folder.

What En fixed was if EN was in the background and you created a new note via the Start bar, it should go to the default instead of whatever notebook the hidden app is in.

• 2 weeks later...

June, 2014 and no change to this vexing behavior.

EN has done so many other cool things -- can we get this Very Useful Thing done, too, please?

In what way are you seeing this occur? Web clipping? Emailing into evernote? 

If it is either of those things, make sure you go to Evernote.com>account settings>smart filing "Off"

Likewise, for the web slipper, click your username at the bottom>Options> and un-check smart filing. 

That was it! Thank you. The feature is called "Auto-Filing." Just completed testing.  Everything (clips, email) was going into one folder -- just not the one I'd designated as my Default.

I appreciate your time with this.

Kimber

KimberHM, EN fixed this over a year ago. The only time you get a new note created in a folder other than the default is when you are in evernote using the EN user interface, are in another folder, and select New Note. That makes sense. If you are in  your "Legal" notebook and create a new note, it makes sense to do it in that folder.

What En fixed was if EN was in the background and you created a new note via the Start bar, it should go to the default instead of whatever notebook the hidden app is in.

Thank you, but that isn't quite right.

I had a folder designated as Default, but email and clips were not automatically going there, even if that was the folder I had open in EN in the background.

Don't understand why "Auto-filing" was causing this, but it's turned off now, as Scott recommended, and my email and clips are going into Default as desired.

Thank you for your reply,

Kimber

• Level 5*

Because auto-filing in the clipper tries to be intelligent, but it is just frustrating to me. I have auto-filing and auto-tagging turned off. The clipper is an Evernote product, but not part of the Evernote app, so settings in the Evernote app don't affect the clipper. It has its own settings.

Glad you got it figured out.

Thank you, but that isn't quite right.

I had a folder designated as Default, but email and clips were not automatically going there, even if that was the folder I had open in EN in the background.

Don't understand why "Auto-filing" was causing this, but it's turned off now, as Scott recommended, and my email and clips are going into Default as desired.

Thank you for your reply,

Kimber

Auto filing was causing this because it is, um, well, auto filing.

• 1 year later...

5/2016 and still not working? Evernote must hate windows users...

And yes - I am talking about global shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+N) » it still goes to actual folder, not default folder

• 1 month later...

I just searched for this. Looks like it is still an issue. It would also be nice to use the right-click menu 'send to evernote' and have it all done in the background without having to pop up the EN interface(as an option).

So looking at this post and some others, I put together this method. It is pretty easy and does exactly what I want it to do. It gives me a separate option in the "send to" menu that goes to whatever folder I want - in this case it is my default. It isn't perfect and you have to do it for each PC that you want, but it works whether EN is open or closed and is independent of the last one used. 

I will clean up the post later. I just taught myself, so i do not have anything properly noted, etc. Let me know if you have any questions.

http://wp.me/p6NNIV-A

• Level 5*

@Dave-in-Decatur - I think that the option to have Evernote in the Send To is part of a dialogue you see only once at some stage.  Be interested to hear if anyone else knows something more specific.  I also think that there a piece of software that offers the option to restore the Send To link if you'd like to - see ENRegEd 

This is an application developed by experienced Evernote user @spg SCOTT to change some options that don't /didn't then have a menu tickbox.  It hasn't been updated recently,  where Evernote has (a lot) so some of these settings may no longer work reliably - use with caution...

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/64040-windows-enreged-access-evernotes-hidden-registry-settings/

Download the latest version (still August 2014) here -

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/da14b58c-c403-46e0-85cc-b734b19496da/e88ba90496f46a77

Edit:  If you don't fancy the brain surgery approach,  this may help... http://www.thewindowsclub.com/add-customize-send-to-menu-windows

• Level 5

Thanks. I have added something to Send To once, I think, an age ago. Your last link reminded me how: the key is to go to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo and create a link. I just created a link to Evernote.exe, and bingo, I can right click any file, select Send To > Evernote, and a new note is created in the currently active notebook with the file attached. Excellent! Jamison's batch file to make it go to a specific notebook is a worthy refinement, if I decide it's too much work to move the note to a different notebook. Thanks again, all!

• Level 5*

I tend to use Import Folders (you can have more than one,  pointed to different notebooks) if I'm sorting files into notes.  Just DnD the file into the appropriate folder.  :)

• Level 5
On 6/22/2016 at 7:54 PM, gazumped said:

I tend to use Import Folders (you can have more than one,  pointed to different notebooks) if I'm sorting files into notes.  Just DnD the file into the appropriate folder.  :)

Good point! I haven't started using Import Folders yet, but they're clearly a very useful option for this kind of thing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3.5.2016 at 2:07 PM, Matoh said:

5/2016 and still not working? Evernote must hate windows users...

And yes - I am talking about global shortcut (Ctrl+Alt+N) » it still goes to actual folder, not default folder

+1 Still (again?) a problem using the current Win Evernote on Windows 10.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, kan0ne said:

+1 Still (again?) a problem using the current Win Evernote on Windows 10.

what exactly isn't working? I use both Import Folders and have a default folder and have no issues with note not going where they belong. You only have to make sure you configure the clipper options to always go to a specific notebook. The clipper does't know your default, so you essentially set it there too, and turn off that infernal automatic tag feature too.

If that isn't your issue, what specifically is it?

Pressing the global shortcut Win+N I get a new note with the notebook currently selected in Evernote (not expected) instead of the default notebook (expected) - even when another application has the focus. I even explicitly set the desired notebook as the target notebook in the settings (in the section that should be called "capture" ("Erfassen" in German)). 

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, kan0ne said:

Pressing the global shortcut Win+N I get a new note with the notebook currently selected in Evernote (not expected) instead of the default notebook (expected) - even when another application has the focus. I even explicitly set the desired notebook as the target notebook in the settings (in the section that should be called "capture" ("Erfassen" in German)). 

Hrm... interesting. When I press Win+N I get a new note in OneNote, not Evernote.

But if I use CTRL-ALT-N, then yes, I get a new note in Evernote and it is in the current notebook. I seem to recall there was some discussion on that a few years ago and that the thinking was, if you were in Evernote and pressed the New Note button you want it where you are at, not in another notebook, and CTRL-ALT-N follows that logic.

I understand your point, but if you look at it from the other side, if you are in NotebookX and are composing a series of notes, you'd be equally frustrated if you had to keep going to your default notebook and moving them back to NotebookX where you were at.

42 minutes ago, EdH said:

Hrm... interesting. When I press Win+N I get a new note in OneNote, not Evernote.

But if I use CTRL-ALT-N, then yes, I get a new note in Evernote and it is in the current notebook. I seem to recall there was some discussion on that a few years ago and that the thinking was, if you were in Evernote and pressed the New Note button you want it where you are at, not in another notebook, and CTRL-ALT-N follows that logic.

I understand your point, but if you look at it from the other side, if you are in NotebookX and are composing a series of notes, you'd be equally frustrated if you had to keep going to your default notebook and moving them back to NotebookX where you were at.

You can change the global shortcuts in the Evernote settings if Win+N conflicts with OneNote. 

When I'm actively using Evernote I press the "normal" shortcut Ctrl+N to create a note in the notebook I'm currently looking at. This always works fine.

When I'm somewhere in another application and an idea strucks my mind I press Win+N to quickly write it down. Here I want my default notebook to be preselected in the separate note editor window and not some "random" notebook that happened to be the last I had open in Evernote some time ago. 

Thus, there are two separate shortcuts for two different scenarios that IMHO should behave differently. 

• Level 5*
28 minutes ago, kan0ne said:

You can change the global shortcuts in the Evernote settings if Win+N conflicts with OneNote. 

When I'm actively using Evernote I press the "normal" shortcut Ctrl+N to create a note in the notebook I'm currently looking at. This always works fine.

When I'm somewhere in another application and an idea strucks my mind I press Win+N to quickly write it down. Here I want my default notebook to be preselected in the separate note editor window and not some "random" notebook that happened to be the last I had open in Evernote some time ago. 

Thus, there are two separate shortcuts for two different scenarios that IMHO should behave differently. 

You cannot on Windows 10. Win+N is simply not available to be put in when OneNote is installed. I noticed too when I moved from Win7 to Win10 that several OneNote shortcuts both changed and became integrated into the system. Sort of like CTRL-V. It is Paste. Cannot be changed, sort of some registry hack or keyboard reassignment program.

You are into a philosophical discussion about how new notes should work. I am not advocating one or the other, simply telling you how the discussion went. "New notes via keyboard shortcuts go to the active notebook." And the programming was set to match that.

What I am looking for is a simple way to have all new notes go to a Default Business Notebook. Most often I am creating notes while mobile or in browser, and don't need to waste time while adding a note to pick a folder. Just want to send everything to one place, then file them accordingly when I'm in the office. Also, the apps, browser, and Windows / Mac versions need to work the same way, odd that you can do one thing in the Android App, but not on Windows, and still different in browser! All platforms should have the same UI.

1 hour ago, EdH said:

You cannot on Windows 10. Win+N is simply not available to be put in when OneNote is installed. I noticed too when I moved from Win7 to Win10 that several OneNote shortcuts both changed and became integrated into the system. Sort of like CTRL-V. It is Paste. Cannot be changed, sort of some registry hack or keyboard reassignment program.

You are into a philosophical discussion about how new notes should work. I am not advocating one or the other, simply telling you how the discussion went. "New notes via keyboard shortcuts go to the active notebook." And the programming was set to match that.

I don't think it's philosophical. In the aforementioned settings you can actually choose between either the setting "current or default notebook" or "always use the following notebook". When I choose the second and set it to my default notebook I expect everything to go there. 

• Level 5
1 hour ago, JACKCSPR said:

What I am looking for is a simple way to have all new notes go to a Default Business Notebook. Most often I am creating notes while mobile or in browser, and don't need to waste time while adding a note to pick a folder. Just want to send everything to one place, then file them accordingly when I'm in the office. Also, the apps, browser, and Windows / Mac versions need to work the same way, odd that you can do one thing in the Android App, but not on Windows, and still different in browser! All platforms should have the same UI.

If you're in the browser and use Evernote Clipper, you can designate a default notebook: click Options at the bottom of the Clipper dialog, and pick Always start in under Notebook selection. WRT mobile, I believe that in the Android app, at any rate, anything shared to Evernote will create a new note in the notebook you've designated as default. The issue under discussion here is when you're simply working in some other Windows software and want to use Win+N (or whatever your shortcut) to create a new note without switching to Evernote. In that case, the note will be assigned to your most recently used notebook, which I agree is inconsistent with many people's way of working (though not with others').

FWIW, and not meaning to carp, I just timed how long it took me from pressing Win+N to finishing designating a specific notebook in the new note window that opened up. 5 seconds.

8 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

If you're in the browser and use Evernote Clipper, you can designate a default notebook: click Options at the bottom of the Clipper dialog, and pick Always start in under Notebook selection. WRT mobile, I believe that in the Android app, at any rate, anything shared to Evernote will create a new note in the notebook you've designated as default. The issue under discussion here is when you're simply working in some other Windows software and want to use Win+N (or whatever your shortcut) to create a new note without switching to Evernote. In that case, the note will be assigned to your most recently used notebook, which I agree is inconsistent with many people's way of working (though not with others').

FWIW, and not meaning to carp, I just timed how long it took me from pressing Win+N to finishing designating a specific notebook in the new note window that opened up. 5 seconds.

The time it takes to change the notebook is not the problem but to remember that you have to do it. 

18 hours ago, kan0ne said:

The problem was escalated to their "technical team for further review". 

Here's their Feedback:

Prior to version 6, new note shortcut went to default.
After version 6, new note shortcut goes to current notebook.

There isn't currently an option in the menu to choose where new notes created via shortcut are placed. The change the team is working on would add this option in.

There are a lot of users that have requested the old behavior back, so the issue is definitely on the engineering team's radar. I've passed on your input as well and will do what I can to get the change prioritized. 

• Level 5
50 minutes ago, kan0ne said:

Here's their Feedback:

There isn't currently an option in the menu to choose where new notes created via shortcut are placed. The change the team is working on would add this option in.

There are a lot of users that have requested the old behavior back, so the issue is definitely on the engineering team's radar. I've passed on your input as well and will do what I can to get the change prioritized. 

I think having an option setting makes sense, since it seems that some people want it one way, some people want it another. In my own work, I can see how either one would be helpful at different times. Of course, what I really want is for Evernote to read my mind and put new notes in the notebook I'm thinking of. :rolleyes:

+1 on this as well. 

I regularly make a quick note to remind myself of something, expecting to later process it in my 'inbox' default notebook. But occasionally those notes go into random other notebooks. I don't remember to go looking for them because the point was to remind myself, but might find them weeks later when in the other notebook.   Even more confusing when switching between my mac and PC since it's inconsistent.  So this feature would be nice. 

• Level 5*
23 hours ago, Jonathan.Sharp said:

+1 on this as well. 

I regularly make a quick note to remind myself of something, expecting to later process it in my 'inbox' default notebook. But occasionally those notes go into random other notebooks. I don't remember to go looking for them because the point was to remind myself, but might find them weeks later when in the other notebook.   Even more confusing when switching between my mac and PC since it's inconsistent.  So this feature would be nice. 

If you're looking at the 'all notes' view,  you see (like it says on the can) all notes,  in all notebooks.  Sort that screen by created date or updated date and you can check whether notes were misfiled.  You should be able to do the same with saved searches to see just the notes created or edited today.  There's already a feature to have any notes not specifically sent to one notebook or the other sent to the default notebook.  Check that you have correctly set up your defauilt notebook,  and make sure any 'smart filing' zombies aren't muddying the waters,  and you should do fine...

18 hours ago, gazumped said:

[...] and you should do fine...

No, he won't. If you read this thread carefully you will see that there is a situation your notes will go to somewhere

• work somewhere in some notebook in Evernote
  • minimize or even close the Evernote main window 
  • do something completely different in a completely different application
  • ... for a longer time ....
  • have an idea and want to make a quick note using Evernotes global shortcut Win+N (or Ctrl+Alt+N or whatever you choose in the settings)
  • jot down your note
  • easily miss the fact that (regardless of all the nice settings in Evernote) the last active notebook you may have used some hours ago is preselected for your new note (instead of your default notebook)
  • unintentionally save the new note to this notebook by just jotting-down-and-closing the note window
  • Level 5*

I'm wondering if anyone has checked out filterize.net as a solution for moving new notes into your desired default notebook?  I haven't tried it myself, but I thought it might perhaps be a solution to this issue you're describing.

• Level 5*

...and OK my previous post maybe wasn't too clear - my point was that if you create a note and it does wind up in the wrong notebook for any reason,  you can easily find it by listing or searching created/ updated date.  If you set up the default notebook correctly you should be fine in theory.  If it goes wrong for one or other edge case you can recover the note and either change your process or submit a bug report...

• 4 weeks later...

+1

I am definitely losing my mind in a literal way due to new notes going into the unrelated, "last folder I was last browsing".  Please provide an option to force new notes to go into the default notebook.  That's the workflow you've pushed on us, inbox ideas, sort 'em out later!

• Level 5*

OK - so which bit of the "view all notes in created dated order" is causing you a specific problem?

Also check Evernote Desktop > Tools > Options > Clipping > Clip destination,  and browser clipper > Options

Gazumped, it might not be your standard use case but apparently for a lot of users it is one. So putting this down as an "edge case" is IMHO a little condescending. Of course there are workarounds like "regularly look for misplaced notes by sorting by date and saved searches etc." - but these are only workarounds for a problem apparently also recognized by the developers (see the comments regarding my bug report above). So probably also no need to file another bug report for the same issue. 

• Level 5*

Sorry if I came off as snooty - just meant my comments as statements of (IMHO) fact.  If anyone is still finding this (or any other) issue though I'd strongly recommend submitting (at least) a bug report - it's like voting up a feature request;  the more 'votes' a problem gets,  the more likely Evernote is to fix it quickly...

RE: Guzumped - "view all notes in created dated order"

I'm not really having trouble finding what I know I'm looking for, but I have tens of thousands of notes because I am scanning every paper and noting every thought and idea I have, I'm more concerned with missing out on a great idea when I go to process a bunch of notes related to a particular project by actually visiting that tag or notebook, and a great idea I had for I don't realize is missing because its lost in my lyrics or philosophy notebook from 2 years earlier because it got auto-created there and I didn't realize it wasn't in my inbox for me to sort out monthly as I do, putting things where I do want them.   I'm all the way in as far as tags and having a good system and I'll just add that sub-notebooks would dramatically improve my situation as well, not that we should get into that topic here ;)  Point being I don't tag or put notes into a folders/notebooks usually until I have about a 100 sitting in the inbox and I realize I have to deal with them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2016 at 1:10 PM, gazumped said:

...and OK my previous post maybe wasn't too clear - my point was that if you create a note and it does wind up in the wrong notebook for any reason,  you can easily find it by listing or searching created/ updated date.  If you set up the default notebook correctly you should be fine in theory.  If it goes wrong for one or other edge case you can recover the note and either change your process or submit a bug report...

Unfortunately it's not so simple.

First of all, it's a bug. The interface on the Task Bar has nothing to do with an open or minimized window. If I click "New Note" there, it shouldn't rely on a potentially old click in an interface that is not visible, rather than ignore the rather clear setting for "default" notebook. If "default" is to mean anything, it should mean "those cases where I don't pick something else". There is no rationale for "New Note" in the open EN window to respect the default, but "New Note" in the Windows Taskbar to ignore that setting.

Why is it not so simple? Because the last opened notebook could be shared with others, perhaps even the whole world. Evernote shouldn't stuff notes in such a notebook without deliberate user action. This behavior is dangerous.

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, mz123 said:

First of all, it's a bug.

It's pedantic of me I know,  but no - it's not.  Evernote may not work in the way that you'd like,  but it's designed the way it is (mostly) and if you use the software,  you have some responsibility to avoid situations where bad things might happen.  It is possible to guard against notes winding up in the wrong notebook,  and there are various settings around to control that.  But if you really,  really must avoid a note going into the wrong notebook,  you can find a way to make sure - despite Evernote's foibles - that it won't.  The devs will take a look at this thread and may be able to add some safeguards - like maybe an optional 'are you sure?' check for saving to a shared notebook.  But what you see is what you got.

23 hours ago, gazumped said:

It's pedantic of me I know,  but no - it's not.  Evernote may not work in the way that you'd like,  but it's designed the way it is (mostly) and if you use the software,  you have some responsibility to avoid situations where bad things might happen.  It is possible to guard against notes winding up in the wrong notebook,  and there are various settings around to control that.  But if you really,  really must avoid a note going into the wrong notebook,  you can find a way to make sure - despite Evernote's foibles - that it won't.  The devs will take a look at this thread and may be able to add some safeguards - like maybe an optional 'are you sure?' check for saving to a shared notebook.  But what you see is what you got.

I'm quite surprised by your answer. Any software company in the world can say "No, it's working as intended." to make excuses for any bug, poor interface design, or outright backwards functionality. The reality is, words have meaning, and the word "default" does as well. Default, in this case, is "a preselected option adopted by a computer program or other mechanism when no alternative is specified by the user or programmer."

I can't think of a better example of what should respect that default than clicking "New Note" from a taskbar where no notebook is shown. The fact that Evernote ignores my default and instead picks a notebook based on what I did with the program during an unrelated action yesterday, is simply a bug. If it's not, then please tell me what "default" means to Evernote's interface designers. I can't imagine what that might be.

• Level 5*

There is a 'default notebook' but there are also features like 'smart filing' and the options in the Clipper which allow you to choose a different specific notebook,  or clip to the last one you optioned for.  Are you saying that all your software settings correctly point to the default notebook,  but the app still chooses elsewhere?  I haven't had that experience,  but I'd agree that would be a bug...

Yes, my understanding is that what I am seeing matches what others have posted in this thread. Say I select a public notebook, just to view, for example. Then, I leave Evernote minimized or even close it and come back tomorrow. I right-click and select "New Note" from the taskbar button, or from the Evernote icon in the system tray. I get a blank note, but it's not for my default notebook - it's for the public one.

this is freaking me out - this was working a few months ago and was re-introduced. 

There are two settings in the options/preferences dialog -> clipping:

[ ] Clip to current otebook or default notebook 

[ ] "Clip to selected notebook" 

but effectively the behavior is always like setting no. 1, no matter what you really checked.

Edit: I opened a ticket (#1822228) 

• Level 5
On 7/20/2016 at 10:30 AM, kan0ne said:

Here's their Feedback:

I raised this and a couple of other questions about settings in v. 6.2 in this thread. The other questions got answered (since it was my own simplemindedness that caused them to come up!), but not this one.

• Level 5*

I've been trying (and failing) to surprise Evernote into giving me a note in the wrong notebook for a while. 

In my case,  I'm generally looking at notes in the All Notes view,  where my searches will find whatever I need from whichever notebook.  Whatever note I edit,  and whichever notebook it's in,  any new note comes up for the default notebook.  My clips are set to go there,  emails without an @notebook title go there,  and that's the way I like it. 

Occasionally I need to create a note in another notebook,  and I'll use the drop-down in the notebook header to change that.

On the occasions that I'm working in a specific notebook,  I'll usually want my new notes to go there anyway.  If they don't,  it's easy enough to change because new notes (with my settings) come up in a new window each time.  I genuinely haven't been able to find a situation where a new note would have been created in the 'wrong' notebook,  and even if that had happened,  the error would have been easy to trap and correct.

@Dave-in-Decatur seems to have found one answer anyway - if we can get an option to change where the shortcut opens a new note,  maybe there will be less confusion...

• Level 5

16 hours ago, Manuel said:

this is freaking me out - this was working a few months ago and was re-introduced. 

There are two settings in the options/preferences dialog -> clipping:

[ ] Clip to current otebook or default notebook 

[ ] "Clip to selected notebook" 

but effectively the behavior is always like setting no. 1, no matter what you really checked.

Edit: I opened a ticket (#1822228) 

MAJOR EDIT: I originally quoted the wrong previous post here, no doubt creating some confusion! My apologies.

I raised Manuel's question and a couple of others  about settings in v. 6.2 in this thread. The other questions got answered (since it was my own simplemindedness that caused them to come up!), but not this one.

Quote:

I've been trying (and failing) to surprise Evernote into giving me a note in thewrong notebook for a while. 

I often work with specific notebooks which leads constantly to notes that are misplaced. I seldom use the all notes view. 

Quote:

On the occasions that I'm working in aspecific notebook,  I'll usually want my new notes to go there anyway

I always capture to my default notebook in the first step. In the second step I process them (delete *****, decide where they go etc.) 

I'm truly confused by all the recent posts. What does "default notebook" mean?

Clarification for those who didn't read my other post.... What does "default" mean to Evernote's software? Of course I can select a specific notebook and create a note there, but since there's a default option, the software should understand that when I don't select a specific notebook, that's where new notes should go.

16 minutes ago, mz123 said:

Clarification for those who didn't read my other post.... What does "default" mean to Evernote's software? Of course I can select a specific notebook and create a note there, but since there's a default option, the software should understand that when I don't select a specific notebook, that's where new notes should go.

This behavior is configurable in the options.

But evernote has a bug, which leads to always using the selected notebook for new notes. Meaning: Evernote puts new notes into the currently clicked notebook in the desktop software (and it doesn't matter if the desktop app is in front, minimized or whatever).

It only uses the default when you have no notebook selected, which only is the case when you look at all notes.

• Level 5*
31 minutes ago, mz123 said:

Default means "this is the notebook you should send things to if it's not clear to the sender what notebook is the target". When you're working in the Evernote Windows client, this is usually pretty clear: if you select a notebook, then that's the de facto default; create a new note, and it goes in that notebook, select notes via some other criteria (tags, text search, etc.) and it should go into the default notebook. This is a real convenience, in my view, and a sensible choice. Clipping (screen clipping, web clipping is different, I think) also has its own default notebook: you can choose the standard default or a different notebook.

The confusion is coming when you're creating a new note via hotkey (Ctrl+Alt+N, or whatever you have it configured for), it uses the Evernote client's notion of default (if the context is a notebook, then use that notebook; otherwise use the real default). Similarly for screen clipping, I think (haven't tested that). You may not have been considering the last time you set the current context in the Evernote UI. The expectation of some folks here is that these always use the configured default, not the contextual default. You can easily create new notes in a notebook that you didn't expect.

I believe that this behavior is causes by the mechanism that's used to create a new note when using a global hotkey. At a guess, I'd say that that part of Evernote just sends a message to the Evernote client (CREATE_NEW_NOTE, or NEW_SCREEN_CLIP, or whatever, possibly the same one that is sent when you choose New Note in the UI), and the Evernote client figures it out according to its typical logic flow. Easier to program, maybe, but possibly confusing to users. Again, this is just guesswork on my part.

OK, the last two posts agree with my experience. For Jeff: any note created with the hotkey or from the Windows taskbar (system tray or app in the bar) explicitly lacks context. That absolutely should use the default. Since it doesn't, it's a bug. It had seemed to me that people were talking about the default option actually working correctly! It's failing in precisely the most important place where it needs to work.

• Level 5*
14 minutes ago, mz123 said:

any note created with the hotkey or from the Windows taskbar (system tray or app in the bar) explicitly lacks context. That absolutely should use the default. Since it doesn't, it's a bug.

It might be by design as well; it makes sense if you consider the local clipping and global hot keys as an extension of the main client UI, which may have been the intent. But I understand the user confusion over it as well. I don't know anything about the original intent behind the design; I just tried to lay the situation out as plainly as possible.

As it happens, I can't say that I've ever been bitten by this; either I'm more careful than I usually am, or more forgetful than I like to admit...

Okay, can somebody explain to me what the options in the screenshot are really for?

If you select a notebook there, I'd expect that everything will go to this notebook, no matter what. Especially when using shortcuts and the tray icon.

ScreenClip.png

28 minutes ago, jefito said:

It might be by design as well; it makes sense if you consider the local clipping and global hot keys as an extension of the main client UI, which may have been the intent.

If that was the intent, it's a very poor design choice, in part because the Windows taskbar is in no way an extension of the main client UI visually, or in terms of typical use. In fact, it's the UI of choice precisely when the Evernote window is not visible! MS intended the taskbar as a way to interact with apps that are not in the foreground, or not even open.

One other thing... this combination of things is very dangerous, and yet is also a very common and apparently reasonable configuration:

1. This bug we're discussing.
  2. A private default notebook.
  3. A public or shared notebook in the account.
  4. Instant sync enabled in options.

I can create a note using an interface that does not allow for notebook selection, expecting it to be private. And yet, anything I type in there could be instantly public. This is a potential PR disaster for Evernote, and a fix should be high priority. Sure, a user could catch it and hope to beat the instant sync speed or hope no one views the shared note. Or, one can look to see that Evernote has selected a notebook you never would have chosen as a default, before typing anything into the note. More likely though, the user will simply learn not to trust Evernote's security, because its UI is designed to make exposure of private information extremely easy. And yet, wouldn't 100% of the users here agree that the presence of Evernote's taskbar shortcuts and accompanying hotkeys, was intended precisely as a means to capture spur-of-the-moment notes that are almost certainly intended to be private? Could you imagine if any other shortcut on your computer defaulted to publishing private information to the world, against your wishes?

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, mz123 said:

If that was the intent, it's a very poor design choice, in part because the Windows taskbar is in no way an extension of the main client UI visually, or in terms of typical use. In fact, it's the UI of choice precisely when the Evernote window is not visible!

But doesn't that just make it an extension of the main UI? When you select "Configure Shortcut keys", it brings up the main UI's Options dialog. "Start on Windows Logon" and "Synchronize in the background" both reflect settings in the main UI. Find in Evernote brings you straight to the search control in the main UI. They don't seem wholly disconnected, that's for sure, and that's why it makes a certain kind of sense for the taskbar UI to match the main UI's rules.

In any case, I'm not going to do the "bug or by design" dance with you. I didn't design it, and it's not a problem for me; it's certainly not dangerous. I get that it's dangerous/annoying to some folks, but there's also some consistency to it. You have a valid case too. I'd probably take a middle ground stance, and suggest it be configurable.

15 minutes ago, jefito said:

But doesn't that just make it an extension of the main UI? When you select "Configure Shortcut keys", it brings up the main UI's Options dialog. "Start on Windows Logon" and "Synchronize in the background" both reflect settings in the main UI. Find in Evernote brings you straight to the search control in the main UI. They don't seem wholly disconnected, that's for sure, and that's why it makes a certain kind of sense for the taskbar UI to match the main UI's rules.

In any case, I'm not going to do the "bug or by design" dance with you. I didn't design it, and it's not a problem for me; it's certainly not dangerous. I get that it's dangerous/annoying to some folks, but there's also some consistency to it. You have a valid case too. I'd probably take a middle ground stance, and suggest it be configurable.

I'm not going to dwell on this forever, but I want to add a little more. First - yes, all aspects of the UI are related in some way or another, but that doesn't justify a buried interface (closed, long forgotten Evernote window) guiding the result of a shortcut click in a totally different interface. Just because settings appear in the Evernote window that describe actions outside that window, doesn't unify the interface into one monolith. It's not constructive to look at interface design that way.

This behavior is an example of a Mode:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mode_(computer_interface)

Note a few snippets from that article:

"a mode is a distinct setting within a computer program or any physical machine interface, in which the same user input will produce perceived results different to those that it would in other settings."

"If the user's locus of attention changes to a different area, the state of the interface may then represent a mode since the user is no longer aware of it."

"Modes are often frowned upon in interface design because they are likely to produce mode errors when the user forgets what state the interface is in, performs an action that is appropriate to a different mode, and gets an unexpected and undesired response."

"Alternatives to modes such as the undo command and the recycle bin are recommended when possible.[14] HCI researcher Donald Norman argues that the best way to avoid mode errors, in addition to clear indications of state, is helping the users to construct an accurate mental model of the system which will allow them to predict the mode accurately."

In particular, Evernote offered a mechanism to do what I've bolded here... the default notebook... then they ignored it for the instance where it is most useful - notes created via hotkey or the taskbar.

I wouldn't make this a configurable behavior. If Evernote really wants to provide a way to let a generic, context-free interface like a hotkey or taskbar shortcut act differently from the default, they should make it explicit: add new "add to last used notebook" hotkey and shortcut. For what it's worth, I'm willing to bet that less than 5% of users will ever click on them. Why? Because they won't remember which notebook that might be.

I just realized that the clipping options are only related to the web clipper for thee vernote IE7+ plugin - took ten messages back and forth because I didn't believe it until I found this EDIT wrong link https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314738-Evernote-Web-Clipper-options

*facepalm*

Evernote should rename the option to "Web clipper options" or even remove them from the desktop client and place the options in the plugin as they did with every other browser plugin (consistency)

BTW: Even if I close evernote and then hit the shortcut, the note is placed in the notebook where I left when closing.

EDIT wrong link

• Level 5
On 9/16/2016 at 1:06 PM, Manuel said:

Okay, can somebody explain to me what the options in the screenshot are really for?

If you select a notebook there, I'd expect that everything will go to this notebook, no matter what. Especially when using shortcuts and the tray icon.

ScreenClip.png

33 minutes ago, Manuel said:

I just realized that the clipping options are only related to the web clipper for thee vernote IE7+ plugin - took ten messages back and forth because I didn't believe it until I found this https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208314728 

This continues to puzzle me as well. I don't believe it relates specifically to the Web Clipper; as the article to which you linked says, that option is set in the Web Clipper dialog itself. As I noted elsewhere, selecting "Clip to current notebook or to default notebook" always seems to send new non-Web-Clipper clips (e.g., screenshots) to the current (most recently used) notebook, even if the main Evernote window is closed. The only way to get it to go to the default is by selecting the other option, "Clip to selected notebook" and then selecting your default notebook. Does anyone else experience this?

Archived