Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

Export note as HTML: font sizes are not honoured

evernote

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 TerDale

TerDale

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:17 PM

Hi,

If I use "File-Export-Export as single a HTML Web page", the resulting html file is not reflecting the original EN text wrt font sizes. Some parts of the original text have their font size increased without any apparent logic. Check the comparative screenshots.

PS : using EN 4.5.4.6497.

TIA

Attached Files

#2 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,213 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:58 PM

If I understand you correctly, you mean to say that the HTML displays different font sizes than the ones in Evernote. I cannot explain the behavior, but I think I am seeing similar things with my exported notes, because they don't have the same fonts. This might be worth creating a support ticket for so that the Evernote staff can see what is happening.

#3 FactMan

FactMan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 514 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:07 AM

Another difference I see on the 2 screen shots is that the note size is larger in the second one? Perhaps some detailed steps would help others to replicate this?

#4 TerDale

TerDale

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:19 AM

If I understand you correctly, you mean to say that the HTML displays different font sizes than the ones in Evernote.

Correct.

Another difference I see on the 2 screen shots is that the note size is larger in the second one? Perhaps some detailed steps would help others to replicate this?

Just try to use "File-Export-Export as single a HTML Web page" on one of your note...

#5 TerDale

TerDale

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:53 AM

This might be worth creating a support ticket for so that the Evernote staff can see what is happening.

Ticket #: 16051-86757

#6 TerDale

TerDale

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 10:05 AM

:wacko:

We apologize for the inconvenience.
The formatting of text in Evernote can be corrupted when the conversion between HTML to ENML (Evernote Markup Language) or vice versa happens. ENML documents replace the HTML and BODY tags from an XHTML document.
There are many attributes that ENML supports and HTML doesn't. This can create complications and results in breaking or removal of certain formatting codes.
In addition, the contents of notes within the Evernote service must strictly comply with our XML template.
We are constantly improving our note editor to enhance your Evernote experience, within the constraints of this XML template.
For more information on how Evernote works at the core level, please visit the following web page:
http://www.evernote....m#_Toc290381019
Evernote Support

Did I use such exotic attributes in my example...? Disappointing, once more.

#7 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • 12,159 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

The formatting of text in Evernote can be corrupted when the conversion between HTML to ENML (Evernote Markup Language) or vice versa happens. ENML documents replace the HTML and BODY tags from an XHTML document.
There are many attributes that ENML supports and HTML doesn't. This can create complications and results in breaking or removal of certain formatting codes.
In addition, the contents of notes within the Evernote service must strictly comply with our XML template.
We are constantly improving our note editor to enhance your Evernote experience, within the constraints of this XML template.
For more information on how Evernote works at the core level, please visit the following web page:
Evernote Support

I'm not sure why this is so "disappointing". Evernote is not an HTML editor, so if the HTML result needs to be a particular way, then I would suggest you use a true HTML editor. Just as I would suggest you use a true spreadsheet for true spreadsheet capabilities, document editor for true text editing capabilities, etc. As the reply to you indicates, ENML supports many attributes that HTML doesn't. So if you happen to use one of those attributes & then export to HTML, of course the HTML doesn't know what to do with it.
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#8 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • 10,764 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

Can someone tell me what a "police size" is, please? I was unable to get it from a Google search...
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#9 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,213 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

If I understand you correctly, you mean to say that the HTML displays different font sizes than the ones in Evernote.

Correct.

#10 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • 12,159 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:43 PM

Can someone tell me what a "police size" is, please? I was unable to get it from a Google search...

I still don't know, either...

Correct.

So is 'police' the correct word?
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#11 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,213 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

Correct.

no. i have no idea what police is doing there, but judging by the images posted, i thought it the op was complaining about font differences. seems like a fair complaint to me, but i also think the response from evernote was a good one. basically, it will export, but they cannot guarantee perfect matches. this is pretty much what you see with any software conversion. usually it works fine, but it isn't always perfect.

#12 jefito

jefito

• 10,764 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

I understand what the Evernote response was and suspect it's close to the mark, it's easier to try to help if I actually knew what was being asked, though.
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#13 dlu

dlu

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:38 AM

Evernote Support

Does the font size change when you view in different browsers? Perhaps the HTML is relying on a relative size rather than a specific point or pixel size? Would need to dig around to take a further look
If you have a serious issue with Evernote, you can submit a support request here. Evernote employees read the forums, but it is not run by customer support or a way to directly get customer support.

Check out our Knowledgebase.
View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows
Check out the Getting Started Guide
Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#14 TerDale

TerDale

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

I understand what the Evernote response was and suspect it's close to the mark, it's easier to try to help if I actually knew what was being asked, though.

Sorry if my English is not as perfect as it should be, and if I the word "police" was not appropriate, but I'm not a native speaker, so I try to do my best. Please, understand that not all posters are native English speakers...

#15 TerDale

TerDale

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:53 AM

Does the font size change when you view in different browsers? Perhaps the HTML is relying on a relative size rather than a specific point or pixel size? Would need to dig around to take a further look

Thanks for your answer dlu, indeed I did not check this before creating this topic. So, I just did it, and can now confirm that I get the same results with all 4 main browsers : Opera 11.62, Firefox 11.0, Chrome 18.0 and IE 9.0.

#16 jefito

jefito

• 10,764 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

Sorry if my English is not as perfect as it should be, and if I the word "police" was not appropriate, but I'm not a native speaker, so I try to do my best. Please, understand that not all posters are native English speakers...

Oh for sure I understand that, but what I said ("it's easier to try to help if I actually knew what was being asked, though") is a true statement in general. And though I tried to grasp (via context) what 'police sizes' are, I'm still not getting it. Glad you've got someone helping you out who was able to figure it out, though.
~Jeff

#17 TerDale

TerDale

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:43 PM

Oh for sure I understand that, but what I said ("it's easier to try to help if I actually knew what was being asked, though") is a true statement in general. And though I tried to grasp (via context) what 'police sizes' are, I'm still not getting it. Glad you've got someone helping you out who was able to figure it out, though.

So, you are meaning that even comparing both provided screenshots don't help, do you?

#18 TerDale

TerDale

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

I'm not sure why this is so "disappointing". Evernote is not an HTML editor, so if the HTML result needs to be a particular way, then I would suggest you use a true HTML editor. Just as I would suggest you use a true spreadsheet for true spreadsheet capabilities, document editor for true text editing capabilities, etc. As the reply to you indicates, ENML supports many attributes that HTML doesn't. So if you happen to use one of those attributes & then export to HTML, of course the HTML doesn't know what to do with it.

It is disappointing FMPOV in that, as shown in the provided screenshots, the note I exported was a simple one wrt formatting: just one table and some text in it, in different colors, but written using a single font, and a unique font size. So, I perfectly understand that exporting feature can be limited, but find it disappointing when even a simple note is not rendered as the original. This was what I meant by "Did I use such exotic attributes in my example?"

#19 jefito

jefito

• 10,764 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:37 PM

The only real way to get at this problem that a user could do is by exporting the same note to both ENML and HTML, and comparing the corresponding sections. Speculating about 'exotic attributes' (whatever they are; that's not an Evernote term) is all very well, but until you examine what's going on under the hood, you don't know what's happening for sure.

Not that a user should typically be the one to need to do such things...
~Jeff

#20 Don Nelson

Don Nelson

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:00 PM

Correct.

no. i have no idea what police is doing there, but judging by the images posted, i thought it the op was complaining about font differences. seems like a fair complaint to me, but i also think the response from evernote was a good one. basically, it will export, but they cannot guarantee perfect matches. this is pretty much what you see with any software conversion. usually it works fine, but it isn't always perfect.

I wonder if he meant "policy"??

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote