Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

Link to a tag within a note?

evernote

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 firefusion

firefusion

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:23 PM

I'd like to be able to put a link within a note, that takes me to the notes that have that tag assigned. Is this possible?

#2 spg SCOTT

spg SCOTT

• Title: "There is no magic, only lost physics"
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

Hi firefusion

There is no way to link to tags at the moment. Nor saved searches.

Whether there will be in the future, I am not sure.

Scott

#3 May

May

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

Kind of.. You can just write down the search term for a tag and then copy/paste this search term manually.

I think clickable search terms would be really nice to have. Much more powerful than just note links. But the good old copy/paste still does the job.

#4 ClutterBGone

ClutterBGone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:56 PM

You can link two notes together, but can't use the tags. This information from the EN database.
Copy note linking: right click on the note you want to link to another note. Go to the first note and highlight the entire note, right click and select Hyperlink, then add and then paste, and OK.

Using Evernote daily, it makes life uncomplicated !

#5 RicardoW

RicardoW

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

+1 on clickable Tags. I joined the forum today just to add this feature request. Glad to see someone else already thought of it. ;)

#6 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,786 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

In the Windows client, you can Shift-click on a tag in the note info panel of a note (you may need to drop it down using F8), and that tag will be added to the current search filter. About as close as you're going to come, at least at the moment.
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#7 pigeonlips

pigeonlips

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:47 PM

+1

I really really want this too. My preference would be for a link to a search like jefito posted in another thread as it covers tags and can be extended for more:
http://discussion.ev...saved-searches/

Just as a point of contrast, though, I'd propose a slightly different mechanism. Rather than explicitly linking to notes, I'd propose a sort of active search that you could embed in a note, similar to a link, but when clicked, activates the client that would activate with the note link, and executes the link target as a search. So rather than having a note link like:

<a href="evernote:///view/470215/s5/b04fb763-248a-4e2b-1d47-44712e795cbd/b14fb763-248a-4e2b-bd46-447310e795cbd/" style="color:#69aa35">Evernote Activity Bug</a>

(that's what comes out of ENML), maybe something like this:

<a href="evernote:///search/notebook:work tag:ToDo/" style="color:#6935aa">Work Todo's</a>

I usually make a landing page with the same title as my tag name with reference material, brainstorming and other helpful information in it. I then link out to all my todos/other notes.

Its to much work to then keep adding other notes to the landing page manually so the idea of a link to a saved search (for me it would be to open all notes in a tag) sounds great.

I wanted this so bad that i have a rather un-elegant workaround i thought i'd share:

I make batch files that use the ENScript to load the search for me. Or rather i have a batch file that makes batch files i can attach to the landing page.
  • Note: this only works on windows :(
  • Note: your path to ENScript may be diffident
  • Note: needs clip.exe installed (think it comes with most copy's of windows). if you are unable to paste the link after running, open cmd and type "clip /?" to see if it installed.
  • Note: change the 3rd line to a path where you want to keep a copy of these batch files

create a batch file called EVTag.cmd (or what ever suits) with the following contents:

Tip - if you save it in folder that's included in your path var you can run it from anywhere.

@ECHO OFF

SET Tag=%1

SET PathToSaveCMD=d:\bin\evernote\

REM loop through all the passed in args

SHIFT

:Loop

REM concat all args into a var called tag - quit when arg is "" (nothing)

IF "%1"=="" GOTO Continue

SET Tag=%Tag% %1

SHIFT

GOTO Loop

:Continue

REM if no args then exit

IF "%Tag%"=="" GOTO Exit

REM add dir and ext to file

SET file=%PathToSaveCMD%%Tag%.cmd

REM check the file already exists - copy the path to clipboard rather than overwrite it!

IF EXIST "%file%" GOTO Copy

REM add content to the file

ECHO "C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\ENScript.exe" showNotes -q "tag:%Tag%" >> %file%

:Copy

REM copy location of the new batch file to clipboard

ECHO %file% | CLIP

now any time you want to add a link to a search for tags hit [Windows] and [R] Key together to bring up the "run dialogue box" type

"evtag yourtagname"

and now you should be able to ether paste the link straight into evernote (if the tags only one word) or if you prefer, click on the attachment button and paste away.

Result is a clickable link to a batch file that runs a the ENScript exe to preform a search.

It could be any search, doesn't have to be for tags. Just adjust the script as needed.

you can a fair bit with the ENScript.exe!

http://dev.evernote....ers/Windows.php

Enjoy.

#8 sheclimber

sheclimber

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:10 PM

Another +1 for this feature. You can create a shortcut for a tag, so why not a link to a tag? And links to saved searches would be nice too, but it's not worth it for me if I have to create a saved search for all the tags I'd like to do this with.

How I'd use it: I have a master project list note, and each of those projects has a tag associated to it. I'd like to link directly to the project tag so I could go straight from my project list to the projects. I make shortcuts for my most active projects, but this is a small fraction of them and the shortcuts field is too small to be a full project list.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote