FERPA and using EN for classes?

Sherman Dorn

Does anyone know how university general counsels are trying to address FERPA requirements in password-protected sharing environments, such as Evernote? On the one hand, EN is password-protected, so material is not public unless the faculty member actively makes it so. On the other, general counsels are notoriously suspicious about services that the university does not directly control, usually requiring loads of singing and dancing before it will bless data heading off-site.

I've conducted some searches and found nothing about universities, Evernote, and FERPA, and very little else on similar issues (e.g., Dropbox or cloud-based backup services). Some I have found:

Any others to mention?

• Level 5*

I think it would depend a lot on what you are doing with it.

If you are using it for class readings, journal articles from jstor or something like that, then I doubt anyone would have any complaints. If you moved up to student papers, maybe they'd want you to encrypt it before uploading. And, for really personal information like your own intellectual property, I bet they would advise you to encrypt as well. Just a guess.

University solutions are never particularly user-friendly. They try, but you just can't compete with Dropbox or Evernote. I won't even get into the frustration of having services at the university go down.

Archived