REQUEST: 'Due Date' attribute

thesab

• Level 5*

"Although it's been said,  many times many ways..."  - it's worth repeating that Evernote don't discuss route plans or publish delivery dates.  They do read the forum and occasionally comment helpfully,  but you ain't gonna see advance promises from anyone.  And the evangelists are what it says on the can - users sharing their enthusiasm and expertise,  not insiders with special knowledge.  We'll just have to wait,  but it's good to remind the PTB from time to time that this is a hot ticket item - thanks for taking the duty this time around...

Evernote blogged recently that there are seven new business partners,  one of which is 'to do' and collaboration app Azendoo - maybe this is their nod toward due dates.  I've tried it out and would give it a cautious 6/10 - it's usable,  but IM(NV)HO not that attractive for a single user.  They do promise lots of bells and whistles to come,  and their philosophy is -apparently- to make life easier for their users - they're certainly very reactive to feedback.

Evernote Business was also rumoured at one stage to be 'the answer' to task management - don't know if any users around here are able to comment on how that went...

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Level 5

It's been said that one shouldn't ask Evernote to do Task Management but to use something else (like RTM).

I've never been happy with that: There are elements of Task Management that are helped by having linked documents. A To Do as a document with some added Task Management attributes is what I want. I think Evernote can do it. With this one addition.

• Level 5*

EN, how long are you going to ignore and mislead the users by telling them due date is coming?

Due date is the longest time wise and page wise topic on this forums, and you and your evangelists are justifying that by other priorities..... . What are the priorities?

Er,  please read #204 above...

• Level 5*

Well jbenson2 tells me that Phil Libin was heard at LeWeb in December quoting the first half of 2013 and using the magic words "coming soon" for reminders and dates.  Of course this is the Evernote definition of 'soon' which is an infinitely variable period of greater than one day but less than never...  (never say never..)

Hi,I,m a premium user. This does not make me be someone special  but we have waiting for this feature since three years ago. it's not fair! .

Life is not fair. Anyone who told you otherwise was either lying or very stupid.
Octonius - your productive address book with Evernote integration

We are integrating Evernote API next week. Many of you guys would love to have DUE DATE in notes, giving you the ability to use Evernote as a Reminder / To DO tool.

Yep. You got it.... If you like this feature, go register on the website to be among the first. 

The beta registrations are closed.

But we are making sure that on the launch day, we serve users on a First came first served basis.

You can go and use the form on the website to register and get the app as soon as we release it.

Apparently, megsaint equates EN as life? 

Life is not the topic. The topic is evernote and remiders or due dates.

If EN=Life and Life=unfair, then EN=unfair. 

Therefore, EN is unfair.

Fair enough.   Oops...there goes that theory.

I'd like to see reminders...I'd also like to see the conformists stop taunting those who want reminders(the non-conformists). 

This forum may be helpful if everyone keeps adding that they would like to see this feature.

It likely will not be helpful if we have people saying. "Don't got it!...ain't gonna happen!  Might happen soon.... they said they don't want to do it. They are more busy with blah blah stuff. etc." Enough already.

I have recently found a solution that incorporates EN and also has reminders...it also does what EN does on it's own as a standalone.

I just started using it and it automatically imports from evernote. (jeez, this is reading like spam so I won't be posting what it is.)

I'm just scratching my head as to why I need evernote anymore.  *shrug*

I hope they figure this out before I do.

Thanks to all.

Good Luck

• Level 5*

Somewhere back up this thread we noted that Evernote's CEO had said this feature was coming.. I guess they'll get around to it as soon as they can.  Meantime if,  like me,  you have a solution that works for you,  that's good.  we can all look at Evernote Calendar when it arrives and consider if/ when to convert.  Despite all the current fuss I won't be moving from Evernote the External Brain anytime soon,  because that bit works rather well for me.  The rest of you can make up your own minds. :)

• Level 5

For the Forum users who are new to this Due Date issue:

10 months ago - Phil Libin - CEO
http://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/1d6d896b-938f-4168-990d-649b12ce6755/00ccfcc2d76c4506e60b44fef2d628c0

20 months ago - Phil Libin - CEO
http://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/3ad448b0-019e-48ec-a8ad-02308988dabc/37b38a665b9d3d02bea6c0b92e60f0ac

30 months ago - Dave Engberg - CTO
http://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/0bcfaf85-8a33-4e49-9bcf-de0692210f31/30838129880556b9058c2cc1fdea6848

There have been many other past and missed promises for a due date.

The most recent promise was made by Phil Libin at LeWeb in France - December 2012.

He said they will have it released during the first half of 2013.

"We're working on it. It's coming soon, I think. I think, soon next year in the early part of next year. <snip> So that's coming in the first half of next year."

He said they will make the "To Do / Calendar Integration / Reminder" feature as a core feature in Evernote.

Errr, Phil, in case you are listening... that's a mere 3 months away.

• Evernote Expert

"Although it's been said,  many times many ways..."  - it's worth repeating that Evernote don't discuss route plans or publish delivery dates.  They do read the forum and occasionally comment helpfully,  but you ain't gonna see advance promises from anyone.  And the evangelists are what it says on the can - users sharing their enthusiasm and expertise,  not insiders with special knowledge.  We'll just have to wait,  but it's good to remind the PTB from time to time that this is a hot ticket item - thanks for taking the duty this time around...

Evernote blogged recently that there are seven new business partners,  one of which is 'to do' and collaboration app Azendoo - maybe this is their nod toward due dates.  I've tried it out and would give it a cautious 6/10 - it's usable,  but IM(NV)HO not that attractive for a single user.  They do promise lots of bells and whistles to come,  and their philosophy is -apparently- to make life easier for their users - they're certainly very reactive to feedback.

Evernote Business was also rumoured at one stage to be 'the answer' to task management - don't know if any users around here are able to comment on how that went...

I somehow disgress with this statement seen several times in the forum - "En does not announce its plans in advance". The first issue is that it creates a space of no need to be accountable if things don't come on time, second it leaves users with confused minds who just won't know if some important features will come or not. In an era of competition, one might argue that it may not be wise to announce plans in advance, but take the case of 2 fac auth, EN announced and that only unofficially that 2 fac auth is coming after the whole internet went on fire. It didn't take much to announce it in advance, if it was eventually going to come. Just saying.

We just added reminder / due date feature to QEver, welcome to give it a try, and email us anything you want to see for this feature; we're trying hard to make a good reminder / due date app for Evernote.

In my opinion, Evernote wants its own app to focus on the commonly used features, to avoid being too feature-heavy, which kind of make sense. Features like reminders are left to 3rd party for now, and they only incorporate it if 3rd party has proved it to be so important.

• Level 5*

@Panzerkampfwagen: if you can point to any other software developer that announces new launches in advance I'll be impressed.  That's called 'vapourware' for a reason.  (Also 'hostage to fortune' and a few other things the forum nanny software would object to.)

@Helena_S: but only for i-stuff.  Android and Windows, me.

:(

Just downloaded QEver! Looks great. Just what I've been looking for.

We just added reminder / due date feature to QEver, welcome to give it a try, and email us anything you want to see for this feature; we're trying hard to make a good reminder / due date app for Evernote.

In my opinion, Evernote wants its own app to focus on the commonly used features, to avoid being too feature-heavy, which kind of make sense. Features like reminders are left to 3rd party for now, and they only incorporate it if 3rd party has proved it to be so important.

• 2 weeks later...

@Panzerkampfwagen: if you can point to any other software developer that announces new launches in advance I'll be impressed. 

The thing is that -- as demonstrated in this thread -- the due date thing has been spoken about by the company itself for years.

The latest reference indicated that "sometime in the first half of 2013" was a target date.

It's now halfway through the first half of 2013. Maybe it will come -- probably it won't judging by past experience -- but some guidance from EN would be nice.

• 1 month later...

@Helena_S Do you have some kind of migration plan for when / if Evernote produce their own Due Date?

Hi Martin,

Good question. Right now, we store QEver due dates in a good data format, so that if Evernote produce their own Due Date, we'll just do a release to merge to that. We also allow creating iOS calendar events from QEver, for the users who heavily rely on iCal for scheduling and don't want to mingle that with Evernote.

• 2 months later...

Subject Line Pull Down Date -- pull up a mini calendar and click on the occurrence date.

Everything I scan from medical records, to purchase records, to assignments in class need an "Occurrence Date" in the subject line.  I don't care when I entered the data.  I care about when the event occurred or when I need to see the information again.  

I currently manually enter the date yyyymmdd in my subject line but it is so easy to mess up on the date using my phones screen input and it is so time consuming that I'm starting to not enter the data and going back to entering information in a paper notebook.

• 7 months later...

another date field--be it "due date' or "occurrence date" would be very helpful.

it should also be modifiable easily.

i.e., the "created date" and "modified date" fields should be associated with a calender when viewing in the "info" window.... this would also help avoid data entry errors

• 2 months later...

From 8th Jan 2011 till 5th June 2014, due date is still not there... 

Why have a separate window to sort reminders?  why not just sort the notes by reminder dates?

I'm migrating from Springpad... we can set due dates & we can sort note by due dates in Springpad

why can't we have that in Evernote?  I'll go for Premium if Evernote has this very basic feature.

• Level 5*

Evernote,  clearly,  is not SpringPad - but in both the free and premium versions you can edit the created date and sort by it,  and that's the workaround that many of us use,  or used here.  Evernote will probably do something toward a 'to-do' solution at some time,  but they do not share whether or when that will be.  Meantime ingenuity rules..  and lots of us use external to-do and GTD apps that link into Evernote to store data.

Archived