HOWTO: Multiple Evernote Accounts: Best Practices and Ideas

Hi everyone - Let me provide for all of you my scenario and please let me know what you think my best would be:

• I have an Evernote premium account for everything I do - work, my eBook business/blog, and home life.
  • Historically, I've been kept this account on my work PC, home MacBook, my personal iPad, and personal Android.
  • The day job just issued me an iPad that has work only apps on there which is great. The question becomes now what to do about my Evernote information on the work iPad

My thought process is:

1. Open a new Evernote account for my day job (I don't mind the $5/month), and share from my personal account to my work account the information I need so that I can access it on the work iPad.
  2. Export the ENEX files I need and import them into the work account.
  3. Just use my regular Evernote account on the work iPad

Thanks everyone for your input!

Would anyone else have access to your notes through your work iPad? Would your use of your full, existing account on the work iPad cost your employer anything beyond what they've so far offered to spend (say, through you needing more data)? If no to both, I see no reason not to use your existing account on the work iPad. If yes to the first question, I imagine #1 on your list is your best option. If yes to the second question, you can offer to cover the additional cost.

Hi Dan:

I agree with GrumpyMonkey "everything in one place." Like my screen name says ClutterBGone, don't add another pile to "your" clutter, but I am retired so all of my clutter and what I thought "was" important, it is just not relevant anymore, [happy days!]

Regards,

David in Wichita

Thanks guys. In thinking about it more, I don't see a reason why I wouldn't have the work iPad have my regular Evernote account on it since I have it on my work PC anyway. Only I can access the iPad, so there aren't any concerns there; and plus the iPad has a password on it. As far as data, no it definitely wouldn't put me over at all. I guess if I was really concerned about security (having mixed data in my account), I wouldn't keep my regular Evernote account on my work PC to begin with! :) Thanks all for helping work through it "out loud". Having everything consolidated and easily searchable is the beauty of Evernote after all!

(Oh, and Chris - yep, I've been titling my reference related notes the way you have it - I think it's addictive really. :) )

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone,

If came upon this topic trying to find a solution for the same problem.. although the principle 'everyhting in one place' sounds attractive - and I have always used evernote in this way - i recently decided to erase all private info from my evernote account..

I think it is hard to deny that a certain division between private and professional is an absolute necessity in some cases, in the same way most people have both a professional e-mail account as a private one. Or if you would f.e. be involved with company finances, you would never put your private finances into the same database as the company ones. Reasons for this are pretty clear i should think.. Companies can easily enfore the legal rights to access employees mailboxes - and to think this would never happen when it comes to evernote might be a little bit naive. Maybe it could even be a overcurious system-engineer with less good intentions.

I have seen colleagues and friends of mine getting into embarassing or even dangerous situations being too nonchalant with things like these, it seems one only realises the risks once it is too late.

Maintaining some level of privacy is already a serious challenge these days, and mixing up my most personal issues, thoughts, interest and private business affairs and having them stored on my pc at work ? Hmm, that has become a definite nogo for me.

Technically I think there could be a pretty easy option that could be foreseen to resolve this problem..

On my PC at home, all evernote content is automatically cached on my computer in fileform, which is perfect. However, the same thing happens on my computer at work - which is not so good. If i could choose the option 'do not store content locally' on my pc at work, everything would be solved. The client installed on my pc there could just read all the content from my account online when it starts up, and release everything from the moment it is closed, storing nothing (continuosly) on my pc at work.

Actually evernote already has a similar feature (which already breaks the everything-in-one-place principle)

and that is that you can create a note that is only a 'local notebook', so is not synced to your account or other clients (computer at work, ipad, iphone etc). The problem there of course is that you cannot access it from anywhere else, only from your computer at home.

Why not turn this idea around ?

Give the possibility to create notebooks - or a whole client setup - that is 'NOT' stored locally - it is just a simple option that can be chosen in the application you use on a specific client. In that way the everyhing-in-one-place is kept intact (which is the evernote account itself), and it would store a copy on my computer at home, ipad, iphone - everywhere - only at work i could choose the option NOT to store it locally.

For the past 2 weeks i have been using 2 evernote accounts. Private and professional.

When at work i have the professional stored locally and access it via the appplication - and the private one via the web

and when at home, i have the private one stored locally, and access the professional one via the web.

It's a big nuisance, and it still leaves me with the problem that i can only configure my ipad or iphone towards one of these accounts, and the other becomes difficult to access.

So, enough said..

Please consider the following; giving the option to 'NOT' store locally instead of 'ONLY' store locally, would solve everything for me.

I hope there are some kind of likeminded people having the same needs, and evernote can consider this as a suggestion worth implementing.

If it was not for this one small (?) problem, i could not live without evernote any more.

thank you

Kaspers

• 2 months later...

Its a great pity that Evernote doesn't offer multiple log-ins for the app as it means that I've got to find a different application to use with my work-android-tablet.

The problem is of course that you don't want to have a work account that you might give to your assistant or secretary to do some admin on the account (or it may need to get legally audited if the company is audited) - you don't want that account to have access to your own personal stuff.

• Level 5*

Its a great pity that Evernote doesn't offer multiple log-ins for the app as it means that I've got to find a different application to use with my work-android-tablet.

The problem is of course that you don't want to have a work account that you might give to your assistant or secretary to do some admin on the account (or it may need to get legally audited if the company is audited) - you don't want that account to have access to your own personal stuff.

You could share a notebook with your secretary; she will only have access to that notebook, but not your personal notes.

• 4 weeks later...

You could share a notebook with your secretary; she will only have access to that notebook, but not your personal notes.

However, if you use tags extensively and organize with nested tags - which I do - then sharing a notebook with your executive assistant is basically pointless.  

Don't get me wrong - I  LOVE Evernote!  ALOT!  But tags are a complete mess across shared notebooks.  Tags work great if you are an island to your self.  But if you need to work together as a team managing tasks/workflow etc...  basically all the reasons you would want to share a notebook, then tags are broken.  All but for the most basic use, tags are broken according to the forums that is apparently by design.  It is so frustrating - people have been complaining about the tags in shared notebooks for well over a year without any resolution or advancement. There is a great need for having a shared tag system THAT ACTUALLY WORKS THE SAME for each member on a shared folder.  

Sharing the folder should mean sharing not just a portion of the content (like it does not) - but a sharing of the richness of the user experience and the full functionality of Evernote.  Tags make Evernote - Evernote.  

• Level 5*

I agree that the sharing of tags is not fully baked (and this applies to Evernote for Business as well), but that doesn't mean that shared notebooks and tags are wholly unusable. If you keep a tight rein on the tags used in your shared notebook (meaning - keep the tag set small, and avoid hierarchies if possible), then you have a shot at making it work reasonably. Eventually, Evernote will need to sort this out, though.

• 3 months later...

I am currently getting around the private/work issue (not wanting my private stuff stored on my work PC) by only using the web version of Evernote at work. It isn't ideal, but it serves the purpose of avoiding any notes being saved on the machine whilst allowing me access to everything everywhere without needing to set up two different accounts. 

• 2 months later...

I keep 2 Evernote accounts, one personal, one business.  Some reasons/tactics:

- I don't want my personal documents to show up whenever I'm showing a coworker something and do an Evernote search.

- I only have my personal account active on my smartphone.

- I share 1 folder between my personal and work accounts..  this is helpful if I take a picture with my smartphone and need to send it to my work account.

- If I leave my job in the future, I'll surrender my work Evernote account to my employer as to not keep confidential information..  it's a bit harder if I have personal and work accounts mixed.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Adding to the (failed) options and some considerations.

My mean reason for a second account is to connect to other services like Podio, LinkedIn, etc. It's something to have personal notes shared with Evernote. Personal is personal, so I don't want to share those notes with others or with other business application. However in the spirit of one source and simplicity I AM keeping personal and business in one Evernote account. 

If I connect with other services like Podio, LinkedIn, Google, etc. these application want to get access to all my notes (obviously). But I want to be selective and share with these notes only my Business Folders. That option is NOT available.

So I explored another option: I created a second Evernote account (let's call it My Business Notebooks account) and I shared all my Business Notebooks with this new Evernote account. It works nicely as many of you already opted to do as well. HOWEVER, the catch is that these shared notes do NOT pop up in linked applications! And that was the only reason why I created the account in the first place! 

So a second 'empty' account with shared Business Notebooks works nicely to keep all personal stuff away from business environment (although one cannot add notes to the shared Bussiness Notebooks - feature request 1) but it doesn't work to share these notebooks to other applications. (Feature request 2)

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have a premium Evernote account using my primary email address, and a regular Evernote account for a second email add. How do I merge the content from my second account to my primary Evernote account?

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone, 

I agree, that it is quite good idea to have everything in one place. You can share notebook with you another evernote account for work only. So nobody will see you private data at work, but still will be able to collaborate without other people, without thinking that someone will see something private, and you will be able to access you work notebook from home as usual.

Archived