Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Mac

HOWTO: Merge notes

features suggestions feature suggestion merge merge notes notes evernote

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DanBN

DanBN

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:41 PM

It would be useful if users could merge multiple notes into one note containing all of them. For example: I often clip links of interesting news articles from the web for reading later. This creates multiple notes when I am using the web clipper. If I could merge them all into just one note it would help me with organization.

#2 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,762 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 05:04 PM

You can certainly do this on the Windows client; I have it in my mind that you can do this on the Mac as well...

...by golly, the Knowledge Base comes through again: https://support.ever...o-a-single-note
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#3 pgdahl

pgdahl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 310 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 07:05 PM

It would be useful if users could merge multiple notes into one note containing all of them. For example: I often clip links of interesting news articles from the web for reading later. This creates multiple notes when I am using the web clipper. If I could merge them all into just one note it would help me with organization.

This is indeed also possible on the Mac client. Just choose the notes you want to merge (you can select multiple notes by holding down ⌘), ⌃-click and chose "Merge notes". Voilà. Note, though, that they will merge in the order they're listed, not the order in which they are chosen. Also, it will create a new note, so any notelinks will be broken.

#4 bluebermuda

bluebermuda

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

Thank you very much for your advice on how to merge notes with the Mac client. You have made me very happy.

I am finding Evernote to be a very Zen like experience, things are not always obvious at first glance however once you begin to understand, you begin to realize that while Evernote appears simple on the surface, its simplicity only masks the fact that it is a very powerful app.

Cheers

#5 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • 10,207 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:14 AM

Thank you very much for your advice on how to merge notes with the Mac client. You have made me very happy.

I am finding Evernote to be a very Zen like experience, things are not always obvious at first glance however once you begin to understand, you begin to realize that while Evernote appears simple on the surface, its simplicity only masks the fact that it is a very powerful app.

Cheers

Hi. Welcome to the discussion forums!

Glad to hear that you are finding Evernote to be so engaging :)

Simple to learn, difficult to master! You'll find a lot of answers to EverKoans here on the forums in the discussions, the KnowledgeBase mentioned by jefito at https://support.ever...rt/KBSplash.asp and squirreled away on the Web in various locations. I've got links on my site to a few resources that might be helpful as well.
http://www.princeton...note-links.html

#6 prak97

prak97

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:16 AM

I merged a few ( 20 ) ?? notes into one ....there was a sync error ...the note was blank and all my previous notes are gone !!!!
Is there any hope of getting them back ??
seriously pee'd off
On a mac with osX mtn. Lion

#7 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • 10,762 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:18 AM

Did you check the Trash for the previous notes?
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#8 MiggsEye

MiggsEye

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:18 AM

Prak97, did you try message history? I found out today you can go back into the history of ones notes.

#9 MiggsEye

MiggsEye

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:19 AM

I think checking trash will work too as per jefito.

#10 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: User # 142,683
  • 5,590 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 06:53 AM

Checking the Trash is a much better choice.

The message history is only updated once every 8 hours.

#11 modernborn

modernborn

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

My problem is when I am in all notes and I go to merge anything ,  all the notes I am trying to MERGE go to the trash.   Please advise. 

I am using MAC maverick ,  sadly.

#12 Metrodon

Metrodon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Bankrobber
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

That's the way it's meant to work - the merge creates a new note (containing all the notes you have selected) and moves the notes you selected to the trash.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mac, features, suggestions, feature suggestion, merge, merge notes, notes, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote