Adding PDF document to EN

Dan D.

I like what I've heard about EN so I'm trying it out. However, it seems like some very basic things are a hassle. For example, I've found an interesting pdf document online and I'd like to add it to my notes. Is it really necessary to download the document to my hard drive and then add it to EN?? I would have thought you could do this with a simple click of a button, but it doesn't appear that way, or I'm doing something wrong. Please enlighten me.

• Level 5*

hi dan. actually, as far as i know, this is the only way to do it. i agree that it would be quite convenient to simply press a button (as we do with the web clipper) and send it to evernote, but my guess is that what looks easy to us might not look so easy to the developers. i hope they add the feature someday, but until then there might be a nice workaround for you.

you might want to take a look into auto-import folders. saving the pdf into one of these could solve your problem. it would essentially be one click for you then :)

here is the user guide.

http://www.evernote.com/about/support/EvernoteForWindows-UserGuide.pdf

see the "Creating Auto-Import folders in Evernote for Windows" section.

hi dan. actually, as far as i know, this is the only way to do it. i agree that it would be quite convenient to simply press a button (as we do with the web clipper) and send it to evernote, but my guess is that what looks easy to us might not look so easy to the developers. i hope they add the feature someday, but until then there might be a nice workaround for you.

you might want to take a look into auto-import folders. saving the pdf into one of these could solve your problem. it would essentially be one click for you then :)

here is the user guide.

http://www.evernote....s-UserGuide.pdf

see the "Creating Auto-Import folders in Evernote for Windows" section.

You might also try using the Window key + A keyboard shortcut. If I find a pdf document online I just highlight the whole text then use the Win+A keyboard shortcut and it creates a note for me.

• Level 5*

I tried this in Chrome: brought up a PDF, and selected it via Ctrl+A, then clipped it via Win+A, and didn't find that it clipped the PDF, in fact, it seemed to have created an unsyncable note. I think that you can use Win+A to clip text selected in the PDF to Evernote: it comes in as plain text, though. Images do not seem to come through.

The quickest way seems to be save the file to an Evernote import directory (much easier if you set up your import folder as an Explorer favorite), and it'll be sucked in automatically. If you have the import directory set up as 'Source Delete', then you'll never see the PDF on your hard drive.

It has been discussed somewhere else in the forum recently.

It would be a very welcome extension to the otherwise great web clipper, to be able to right-click on a link to a PDF (the same way it is possible on an image) and then capture it directly in EN.

An added benefit compared to the current download (I often do it directly to an EN import folder so I don't have to delete it afterwards) is that the source URL would then also be included automatically. Something that is often very useful, too.

• 2 months later...

I work with both windows and apple computer and believe me or not on OSX it is very simple to save a PDF to evernote. I find myself browsing the internet on the mac and reading pdf so i can save it in evernote with one click.

I think it is an omission on the windows patform. Every extra step you have to take to put a document in evernote is irritating and unnecessary (believe me we develop software). Why evernote does not pick this up i don't know. Maybe we are not complaining hard enough!

I like what I've heard about EN so I'm trying it out. However, it seems like some very basic things are a hassle. For example, I've found an interesting pdf document online and I'd like to add it to my notes. Is it really necessary to download the document to my hard drive and then add it to EN?? I would have thought you could do this with a simple click of a button, but it doesn't appear that way, or I'm doing something wrong. Please enlighten me.

You can copy and paste the pdf from anywhere into an EN note.

• Level 5*

It's really not that hard on the Windows client. I do it all the time. Just follow the simple directions given above. By the way, I believe that the reason it's easier on the Mac is because the Mac supports the PDF format natively, while Windows does not. Evernote cannot depend on a user having any particular PDF printer driver, so there you go...

• 11 months later...

Agreed. I don't suggest that. It's not so convenient to add PDF document to EN.

Have you ever thought about re-editing a control to help you according to your own requirements?
If not , I hope you can have a try.
I do think this PDF control is pretty a genius.
It saves me a lot of time.
What's more, Yiigo offers many free trials of different plugins dealing with different files of documents.
i do hope it will be helpful.

Bset Regards

Arron

• Level 5*

Agreed. I don't suggest that. It's not so convenient to add PDF document to EN.

Actually, it's very easy to add PDFs to Evernote. I do it all the time, mainly using an auto-import folder.

Have you ever thought about re-editing a control to help you according to your own requirements?

If not , I hope you can have a try.

I do think this PDF control is pretty a genius.

It saves me a lot of time.

What's more, Yiigo offers many free trials of different plugins dealing with different files of documents.

i do hope it will be helpful.

Please stop recommending developer toolkits for problems like these. They don't solve any problems related to the original poster's issue.
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've found a more direct solution (I'm using Firefox on PC).

No need for temporary files, import folders, etc.

Here's how to do it:

1. Click download/save for the PDF you're viewing in Firefox.
  2. Firefox download dialog pops-up (you may need to set this in Firefox options):
  3. Check the 'Open with' option and in the drop-down select 'Other...'.
  4. Choose Evernote (if you need to find it on your PC it'll be something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote\Evernote.exe).
  5. Click OK in the Firefox download dialog.
  6. Evernote will import the full PDF file.

Archived