(Archived) REQUEST: Evernote as home inventory app

g-wert

Idea

Hello there,

I want to use Evernote to keep track of my stuff. The following features are missing to do that well:

• Save Notes in iPhone app (or desktop app) without title. Sometimes you just want to take a picture of that teapot and add a tag for its location. The standard title "Note without title" is just ugly and just clutters the UI
  • In the desktop app: A view mode that displays all items in a grid with thumbnails, title (if it has one), tags. Without the space for displaying the item! To view the picture bigger or read additional notes etc. one could use the space bar for Quick Look
  • When viewing a note that is only a picture + tags the picture should make use of the whole field. These white borders are just ugly. Or you add a nice background and some border to the pictures (like in Flava or Notica)

I think it is clear what I want. I would like to be the Evernote mac app even simpler and more adjustable to that less ambitious purposes like home inventory which just needs picture + tags.

Peter

Edit:

I just noticed the Lion full-screen view. Thats what I meant with grid-view of the notes. We need that design window mode, too. But without the "Note without title"-title and with tags. Additionally it would be great to display all pictures in the same size, no matter if there is additional text in the note or not.

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

seems sort of complicated to me, but i guess that is certainly an understandable use-case.

1. what title would evernote give an image? how many items do you have in your home that it would be a hardship to just type "120229 photo television samsung d109377" or something like that?

2. different display options would be pretty cool. personally, i want to see the list view displayed on the left, rather than on the top, and i never use the icon view. you certainly make a good case for options.

3. the white border never seemed like a big deal to me. i don't know how much trouble this would be to code. but, if you want this much control over the display, you might want to consider making some kind of pdf collage or something, and uploading that to evernote.

I want to use Evernote to keep track of my stuff. The following features are missing to do that well:

Actually, IMO, Evernote does it well. If I don't care about adding a title, then a default title is fine with me. Personally, I normally want to have the title include "teapot". The thumbnail & snippet views are great, IMO. You can see a photo of the item very quickly & scroll down the list. White border? Again, NBD to me. In the Windows client, the thumbnail version allows you to increase the size of the thumbnails. IDK if that's an option on the Mac client.

• Level 5*

@GM: Sounds like Evernote is giving it a standard title of "Note without title". I thought that there was an effort on iOS to generate dynamic titles, maybe that's in the betas only.

yeah. there are automatically generated titles in ios, but same problem. you can have ten notes with "tim's birthday party" or "note made at such and such location." i don't find that a terribly useful feature. others like it, and i thought it would appeal to people when i tested it, but there have been some upset users as well.

i don't know what title would be relevant to each image, and it seems to me that it is a lot easier just to leave it as untitled note. as another user pointed out, that consistency makes those untitled notes easy to find :)

Is it possible to import the list of things I purchased from iTunes, Amazon, eBay etc?

I may be getting a little greedy here. Is it possible to assign value to inventory captured by Evernote and create reports on rolled up values. Does Evernote support scripting or third party integration for this use case?

Is there a blog post on "mac os x automator -> Folder Action" to pick up receipts from a certain folder, upload it to Evernote and send it to Expensify?

Wow, after the update the interface of the "card view" looks very similar to what I imagined. For me one feature is still missing:

In the card view the pulldown-menu for sorting should make it possible to sort by notebook, sort by tag and group by notebook, group by tag.

This would be useful for inventory, because one can view all items located in one room (notebook) and/or one box/shelf/... (tag).

Wow, after the update the interface of the "card view" looks very similar to what I imagined. For me one feature is still missing:

In the card view the pulldown-menu for sorting should make it possible to sort by notebook, sort by tag and group by notebook, group by tag.

This would be useful for inventory, because one can view all items located in one room (notebook) and/or one box/shelf/... (tag).

In card view you can still select a notebook or a tag and filter by those. The sort order would help you look at all the items in your living room, sorted by date or something.

• Level 5*

DLU, if you guys would only add "Tags" to the list view (like it is in EN Win), then we could sort by Tags and see all of the inventory items grouped/sorted by room, when each room is a tag.

Thanks.

DLU, if you guys would only add "Tags" to the list view (like it is in EN Win), then we could sort by Tags and see all of the inventory items grouped/sorted by room, when each room is a tag.

good point.

Take a look at Springpadit.com. Especially in this case, it's sometimes a little better. There are different special notebooks for this cases and it has special type of notes. One of the features I miss in Evernote... I love Evernote and the wide support in different apps.. but some features of springpad are quite nice.

Archived