(Archived) BUG: Note viewer gets "stuck"

lucybuykx

Idea

I'm running evernote 3.0.5 (209942), on Mac OS 10.6.8

I usually work with the left hand panel for notebooks & tags, middle panel for note index, with wide right hand panel for viewing / editing the note. I often use the arrow keys to navigate through notes in the middle panel and the note in the viewer changes as I arrow through the notes in the index. In the uploaded screen shot (09:48:46) you can see note 3 is highlighted in the index panel, note 3 is visible in the note viewer panel.

There are certain notes, however, that get "stuck" in the note viewer panel. In the second screen shot (09:52:45) you can see that the "update buykx family tree" note has got stuck in the viewer panel. The note "return library book" is highlighted in the index panel but the content is not reflected in the viewer panel. The only way to access the content of the "return library book" note is to double click and open a separate window for the note.

The problem persists through creating a new note. When I create a new note, the index panel refreshes, putting new "untitled note" at the top of the list, but the note in the viewer is still the "update buykx family tree", see screen shot 09:55:26. The note has been put into edit mode and the title field is highlighted ready to type - this has caught me out several times and is particularly fraught.

The only way to clear the "stuck" note is to quit evernote and restart.

I have tried to diagnose what type of note might cause this problem e.g. created by iphone, with pdf attachment, with images, with checkboxes, but to no avail. One note of the type might cause the problem, others do not.

Anyone else experience this or have any suggestions for how to overcome?

post-84534-0-82476000-1330249755_thumb.p

post-84534-0-04531500-1330250188_thumb.p

post-84534-0-66509300-1330250297_thumb.p

11 replies to this idea

I'm experiencing the same problem, both before and now after the most recent stable update, installed through the Mac App Store. I'm on Evernote 3.1.0 (246062) on Mac Os 10.7.2.

Similar to lucybuykx, what I experience is certain notes freezing the note content panel in 'Snippet View', such that despite clicking on a new note the note content isn't updated. Notes that precipitate this problem tend to be those with larger inline image or pdf attachments. Quitting and restarting Evernote is the only solution.

I have also noted three other related problems:

1. I cannot open a "New Evernote Window" at any time, even before the above problem happens.

2. I cannot "Open Note in a Seperate Window" at any time.

3. If I close the main Evernote window (but without quitting the application itself) then reopen the window by clicking on the Evernote icon, what I get is a completely empty 'Snippet View' showing only the left-most pane with my Notebooks, Tags and Saved Searches, but no lits of notes or note content. Again, quiting and restarting is the only thing that fixes this.

These bugs all seem to revolve around application window issues, so I assume they're related.

I have tried deleting and reinstalling Evernote, with no success (ie. the problem persists). I have also deleted Evernote and all the Evernote plist files in my Library folder, and reinstalled Evernote - again with no success.

The only thing I have yet to try is deleting all the above and all my local note data in 'Application support' folder - as I have almost 5Gb of data, I'm reluctant to delete it all and have to re-download it.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

• Level 5*

I'm experiencing the same problem, both before and now after the most recent stable update, installed through the Mac App Store. I'm on Evernote 3.1.0 (246062) on Mac Os 10.7.2.

Similar to lucybuykx, what I experience is certain notes freezing the note content panel in 'Snippet View', such that despite clicking on a new note the note content isn't updated. Notes that precipitate this problem tend to be those with larger inline image & pdf attachments. Quitting and restarting Evernote is the only solution.

I have also noted two other related problems:

1. I cannot open a "New Evernote Window" at any time, even before the above problem happens.

2. I cannot "Open Note in a Seperate Window" at any time.

These bugs all seem to revolve around application window issues.

I have tried deleting and reinstalling Evernote, with no success (ie. the problem persists). I have also deleted Evernote and all the Evernote plist files in my Library folder, and reinstalled Evernote - again with no success.

The only thing I have yet to try is deleting all the above and all my local note data in 'Application support' folder - as I have almost 5Gb of data, I'm reluctant to delete it all and have to re-download it.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi. My problem may be totally unrelated, but as it involves funky behavior with the note views, I will post it here. I posted this in the beta thread as well.

(11) Scrolling (this is for the release 3.1.1)

Sometimes I cannot scroll to the top note in a notebook. I try to get to the top, but it keeps bouncing down to the second note. If I click on a note in the snippet view and then move with the arrow key up through the list, I am fine, and the problem goes away. It is happening pretty regularly, and makes it very difficult to navigate within a notebook. At the moment, the scroll bar on the snippet view keeps leaping back down to the middle.

Unfortunately, I have no solutions to suggest. I think we may be stuck with this until the next beta or stable release. I have just recently deleted my database and re-synced everything, so I can at least say that this probably isn't going to be a helpful solution.

[EDIT]]: Things just took a turn for the worse. I can see note content, but now my snippet view is entirely locked up. I try to scroll, but the scroll bar keeps returning me to the middle. I cannot go anywhere. Syncing and/or switching notebooks seems to help, but I cannot be sure.

I am having a similar problem. As you can see in the image, I have moved the note to a different notebook, but it still is orphaned in the Inbox. I hate to delete and rebuild 13,000 notes for one, but I can't see any other way to eliminate it. Idea?

Screen%20Shot%202012-10-05%20at%209.02.04%20PM.png

Archived