(Archived) Transferring Evernote notes, tags and notebooks to another Evernote account

frieden70

Idea

Hey Gang,

I did a search for something along the lines of this topic but wasn't able to find anything that was quite what I was looking for so I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

Here's my scenario:

I was foolish enough to create an evernote account using my work email and have basically used that account for all of my evernote needs, personal included. My initial plan was to just have an account for business and an account for personal but that didn't work out as well as I initially planned. Now this account is managed by anyone in my company but I would like to get away from it being associated with my work email and work account and just upload everything to my personal account including, notes, notebooks and tags.

Is there a simple solution to this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

12 replies to this idea

Short answer:

On the work computer, create a temporary/work notebook. Move all the notes you want to remove from the work account to the temporary notebook. Select all the notes in the temporary notebook & export the notes to enex format. Transfer the enex file to your home computer (flash drive, Dropbox, whatever.) Import the enex file to your home account. Once you've verified all the notes are at home, at work, delete the temporary notebook & all the notes it contains. Then empty the trash. I believe this should retain/create any tags that were assigned on the work computer/account on your home computer, when the notes are imported.

Long answer:

In addition to the above, if you want to retain the notebook names from the work computer, you'd need to create a tag for each notebook the note was originally in & assign that tag to the notes before exporting them to enex. IE, if some notes were in a notebook called "Project A", create a tag called "notebook - project A" & assign that tag. Then when the notes are imported on the home computer/account, you can create notebook "Project A" & move all notes with the tag "notebook - project A" to that notebook. You can then delete the tag "notebook - project A"

If you go to Evernote.com and sign into Evernote Web, click in the top right. You'll be able to change your email address under Settings. I hope that solves the issue instead of having to create a new account.

If you are set on making a new account, you can go to the Mac Client and right click on "All Notes" or on the individual notebooks you want to export. Then you'll save a local copy and can reimport them.

Hey,

Thanks for the responses thus far!

dlu, I looked into that but, unfortunately, my username is 'work related' (i.e. my name and my company name) so I would like to change that. If that's possible, that would be the ideal solution.

If I were to rick click on 'All Notes' to export would it keep my notebook info as well? Meaning, would it create a new notebook in my personal account when I imported them? If not, would exporting the individual notebooks provide do that for me when I import each individual notebook?

If it doesn't I could just export the notebooks, create the same notebook in my personal account and then import and all should be fine in theory right?

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Hey Phil,

Thanks for the response.

I have no problem going premium to get that done BUT... would my initial thoughts in the post above work? I may need to upgrade regardless because of the amount of notes and data I'm transferring but I'm just curious if my work around would work.

Thanks!

• Level 5*

If I remember correctly, when you export Notes you loose the Notebook name.

Is there other data that is also lost, like Attributes, Attachments, etc?

Here's my scenario:

I was foolish enough to create an evernote account using my work email and have basically used that account for all of my evernote needs, personal included. My initial plan was to just have an account for business and an account for personal but that didn't work out as well as I initially planned. Now this account is managed by anyone in my company but I would like to get away from it being associated with my work email and work account and just upload everything to my personal account including, notes, notebooks and tags.

Does your current account (original account) contain mostly personal, or mostly work Notes?

I would create a new account for the group (personal or work) that you have the least amount of Notes for.

Then, if necessary, you can change the email and login ID of the original account.

I wonder if Sharing Notebooks might be a better means/source for copying Notes to the other account?

I'm concerned about loosing data in the export/import process.

Would it be better to share a Notebook, and then in the other account, copy the shared notes into non-shared Notedbooks?

Whatever you decide to do, I would test your process with just a few Notes at first to make sure it will work as you expect.

Alrighty.... so, exporting and importing INDIVIDUAL notebooks worked.

****NOTE: DO NOT TRY AND IMPORT ALL NOTEBOOKS AT ONCE EVEN IF THE TAGS ARE INCLUDED AS THEY GO INTO ONE FOLDER. BUMMER****

Sorry for the all caps but figured that was important as it bugged the ***** out of me when I tried to import all of my notebooks the first time around (by just clicking command on each individual notebook that I exported so I was essentially importing multiple files/notebooks at the same time) BUT, they all went into ONE import notebook as opposed to the individual notebook that they were supposed to go into.

So... when that happened, I had to delete all the notes, and then import the notebooks individually which after importing for the SECOND time would put me over my monthly quota which as you can imagine, is kinda annoying.

Anyway, long story short, it worked minus a couple notebooks that I haven't finished importing due to data quota issues. They are my less important notebooks so I'll just upload them once my new cycle begins which is no biggie.

Hope that helps anyone else facing the same issue!

Cheers!

Great! Also for reference, we have the ability to bump up your quota if you go past even the premium member quota. This usually happens if you're coming from another system or one day decide to import all your PDFs because you're going paperless or what not. Basically you can add a gig to your quota for one more. You can also increase your quota multiple times in the same month. The current limits are up to 5 extra gigs per month and a total of 25 extra gigs per year.

Yeah, I don't have premium now, this is just migrating my stuff from one free account to the other. So now I'm stuck for about 10 days because of trying to import multiple notebook's at once and it all going into one import notebook as opposed to each individual one (i.e. I had to import all my notes and notebooks twice and the second time through, it went over my limit).

I'll just have to wait it out...

Thanks!

and a total of 25 extra gigs per year.

Is this 25 gigs per calendar year? Initially, I thought it would be per the user's premium year. But then how is that handled for users who are month to month?

It's a rolling 12 months. We do the previous 12 months for both annual and monthly premium users.

Archived