REQUEST: One more step to perfection: Vertical notes list!!!

Reflexx

Please just grant me one more wish to make Evernote perfect...

Please add a vertical list to the notes column! AKA, a snippet view w/o the snippets!!!

Just the title of the note would be fine....

Currently:

List

Snippets

Thumbnails

New and perfect:

List - horizontal

List - vertical

Snippets

Thumbnails

• Level 5

Please add a vertical list to the notes column! AKA, a snippet view w/o the snippets!!!

Just the title of the note would be fine....

I think that is a fine idea.

I use the Snippet View approximately 90% of the time and never look at the 3 lines of unformatted word-wrapped snippet info.

The Title is King.

Expected Page format:

Left Panel --------- Note List --------- Note Panel

Under the Left Panel: the normal stuff - Notebooks, tags, trash, etc

Under the Note List: 2 fields (Created and Title)*

Under the Note Panel: the actual note

* The Note List would need to have 2 fields because most users sort by the Created Date

The snippet thumbnail would be removed to maximize the number of view-able titles.

The benefit is the user will get a full vertical screen listing with a ton of easily viewed titles, and still able to view the note's content.

• Level 5*

* The Note List would need to have 2 fields because most users sort by the Created Date

I like it all, except that I would prefer up to 3 user-selectable fields. I usually sort by Updated date, and sometimes I need to see the tags column.

I could live with 1 row, 2 fields, but my ideal would be user-selected:

• Fields
  • Number of Rows (up to 3)
  • Which field goes on which row

I know Evernote is not big on options, but, IMO, this would be ideal and satisfy most users.

It could always default to one row with Title and Created, if that is what most users would want.

That way they would not have to be bothered/confused with any type of setup.

The option screen could work like this:

• Row1: <Field selection that works like the Tag selection on a note>
  • Row2:
  • Row3:
    (blank row would be excluded)

So, I could have, for example:

• Row1: Title
  • Row2: Updated, Tags
  • Row3:

• Level 5

On my monitor, in the current Snippet view, I can just barely see 9 Titles.

With the help of a ruler, I estimate that with the

3 row version, I would be able to see
13 Titles.

1 row version, I could be able to see
39 Titles.

• Level 5*

SimpleNote on iOS has a great solution to this. In Settings they have something called "Preview Lines" where you select how many lines of text from your note you want to have displayed in the list: 0-5. It is an option (I know how much Evernote seems to be against options these days) but it is an incredibly useful one. One simple setting could take away all of the headaches!

In Mac (I know this is a Windows forum) I prefer the list view, myself, because it only shows titles, but because it only appears at the top of the page, I will never use it. Vertical space is too precious.

I use the snippet view but hate it. It is a monstrous waste of space. Shrinking the font to Arial 9 does no good. Adding lines before the text starts in a futile effort to fool the app does no good. At best, I can only see 8 notes. That's just barely over a week if I am looking at my journal notes. Ugh.

The thumbnail view is annoying in iOS and never used in OSX.

• Level 5

After revision 227817 note list view orientation can be changed to vertical by setting HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/VerticalListView to 1. Please make sure you fully exit Evernote using File/Exit before changing its application registry. Sorry, this option is not exposed in the UI at this point.

Vertical list view columns are configurable in exactly the same way as horizontal list view columns: right click on a column header and check columns you want to see. Drag the column header around to change column order. Click on a column header to change sorting order.

/Peter

• Level 5

Sorry, this option is not exposed in the UI at this point.

There are a lot of Evernote users who don't want to hack around with changes to their registry.

But I guess there are not enough users interested in the vertical format to warrant a release.

• Level 5*

After revision 227817 note list view orientation can be changed to vertical by setting HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/VerticalListView to 1.

Of course this will NOT work on EN Mac since the Mac does NOT have a Registry.

But I guess there are not enough users interested in the vertical format to warrant a release.

Well, I don't know how many users it takes, but I have seen a lot of users requesting this feature for a long time.

We would all really appreciate if Evernote would make this a real option in both EN Win ad EN Mac.

Thanks.

After revision 227817 note list view orientation can be changed to vertical by setting HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/VerticalListView to 1. Please make sure you fully exit Evernote using File/Exit before changing its application registry. Sorry, this option is not exposed in the UI at this point.

Vertical list view columns are configurable in exactly the same way as horizontal list view columns: right click on a column header and check columns you want to see. Drag the column header around to change column order. Click on a column header to change sorting order.

/Peter

Evernoted. Will give it a try when available for testing.

kvitekp wrote:

After revision 227817 note list view orientation can be changed to vertical by setting HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/VerticalListView to 1.

Sounds great! Could you please post a link to this revision (or a later one) for those who are interested in this feature eagerly?. ;) Thanks.

The latest current beta is 4.5.4.6170 (222820).

222820 is the release revision id.

227817 is the git/cvs/... internal commit id for this change.

The next beta or stable release for Evernote for Windows should have a a revision id greater than 227817.

• 3 weeks later...

/Peter

Any way we could get this on the Mac version, pretty please?

• Level 5*

After revision 227817 note list view orientation can be changed to vertical by setting HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/VerticalListView to 1

Love this feature. Would be even better if it were available through the UI.

• 1 month later...

The registry hack worked for me. I'm new to EverNote, and had been using OneNote a long time. If the registry hack didn't work, there's no way I could use Evernote. But it did work, so I'm a very happy camper. Evernote is faster, more stable, and doesn't ask me for my windows live password over and over again. OneNote is my favorite note taking system, but it serves a different purpose than Evernote. I'm switching to Evernote because I want my PC to be FAST, bug free, and I want the sync mechanism to be transparent between my pc and laptop (and web and ipod touch). The web interface of evernote is a pleasure to use.

My heart goes out to the Mac users, because the vertical list mode in Evernote is something vital. It's not just a luxury, it's the difference between rapidly accessing your files and swimming around hopelessly looking for them.

Evernote team, please take pitty on Mac users, they are human too (as far as I know...)

I was going to post that there are more posts on this much needed feature, including one by me, but searching on verticallistview or even HKCU brought up nothing. Hopeless search engine. Even Google does a better job.

Anyway, I finally found mine here.

• Level 5*

Requests for a Vertical List view go back at least 2 years, maybe more. Can't find posts in the old EN Forums.

IAC, see Request for Vertical List View thread started over a year ago.

This continues to be sorely needed on all EN clients, but, IMO, a great deal of users would benefit having this on EN Mac and EN iPad.

• Level 5*
I was going to post that there are more posts on this much needed feature, including one by me, but searching on verticallistview or even HKCU brought up nothing. Hopeless search engine. Even Google does a better job.

Yep -- currently, Google is the better way to search the forums.

• Level 5*

Here's what the Vertical List looks like in EN Win 4.5.5 Public.

I'm showing my whole screen which is 1440x900.

With this resolution, you can show the below number of notes:

• Snippet View: 8
  • Vert. List View: 33

While i really appreciate having this Vert. List View by changing the registry, that makes it time consuming to change, and many users may not be comfortable changing the registry for anything.

And, of course, we really need this on the EN Mac (which doesn't have a registry).

Screen Shot from EN Win 4.5.5

EN_Win_Vertical_List_View.gif

• Level 5*

Here's what the Vertical List looks like in EN Win 4.5.5 Public.

I'm showing my whole screen which is 1440x900.

With this resolution, you can show the below number of notes:

• Snippet View: 8
  • Vert. List View: 33

While i really appreciate having this Vert. List View by changing the registry, that makes it time consuming to change, and many users may not be comfortable changing the registry for anything.

And, of course, we really need this on the EN Mac (which doesn't have a registry).

Screen Shot from EN Win 4.5.5

t

EN_Win_Vertical_List_View.gif

why do you insist on torturing us with this! i can't trust myself in a best buy now--i might walk out with a pc!

With the list view, is the main desire to have more information density, or highlighting note titles & metadata over a preview of the contents? Or something else?

• Level 5*

With the list view, is the main desire to have more information density, or highlighting note titles & metadata over a preview of the contents? Or something else?

dlu, thanks for asking.

For me, the benefit is having a lot of notes displayed in the Note list (with a few of the key fields) while having the entire vertical screen space available for the Note contents (contents = preview?). There are many reasons why one would want to do this.

One very important feature needed to go with this is the shortcut key to show/hide the Note contents, as it is in EN Win.

This allows you to show the long list of Notes in the Vertical list, and then quickly/easily hide the Note contents if you need to see more columns in the list. Then, when ready, quickly show the Note Contents.

• Level 5*

Both.

(1) Number of notes: The current views on the Mac can only display about ten notes on a 13" screen (the most popular model size). The iPad displays about four. This means that I get about 1/4 the number of notes per view with the Mac (compared to the 34 displayed in JM's screen shot) and about 1/10 as many on the iPad. Yes, JM's screen size might be larger with a better resolution, but the underlying point is the same. As an analogy, this is like looking out only the front window of a car when driving. It can be done, but I think most people find the experience to be far better with all of the windows (maybe even a sunroof) available. You see things you might have otherwise missed, like that semi getting ready to sideswipe you (the report you were supposed to submit, but it wasn't displayed).

(2) Number of sort choices: On the Mac I can only choose five types of sorts in list view. I literally cannot do some of the sorts available to JM on Windows. As JM astutely observed a while back, I eschew tags and notebooks because of the platforms I use. They are useless on the iPad and not very useful on the Mac. I would change my workflow and incorporate them if I could have the kind of functionality I am seeing in Windows. In other words, the UI in iOS and OSX is discouraging me from using Evernote's features. Concretely speaking, a search I do every day for my daily journal ("intitle:journal") turns up about ten per view on the Mac, so it requires a bit of scrolling to find what I want, but on the iPad it turns up only four, and I have to scroll through hundreds to get to what I want, because I cannot adjust the sort order. I can click on my saved search for journal on Windows, and then sort journal entries according to tags for "projects" or "dissertation." I have immediate and fine-grain control over the results. This is simply impossible on Mac and iPad.

(3) Editing metadata: It is difficult on the Mac now, and impossible on the iPad. So, even if we had these rich options for sorting, I think to really make the system work, you have to give us back the options we used to have. On Windows, like everything else, it is much easier. You just edit it. Your account is entirely customizable using features Evernote has already designed, but simply removed on the Mac, or not included on the iPad.

(4) Search explanations: On the Mac it is impossible to know how your notes are being filtered, or how to know what your saved searches are searching for. On the iPad, it is the same. In Windows (and on the Web)? It is all there. It is unobtrusive. And, it is helpful. Ever since I upgraded to Lion earlier this year I have felt like I am stumbling around in the dark. I think it is a bad sign that I turn to Windows or the Web in order to do searches (leaving aside, of course, the search inconsistency problems).

So, how to fix all of this (assuming you agree these are problems)?

Just give us what is on the Windows client. Some of the functions used to be there, but have been taken away. Others need to be added. Keep the streamlined interface if you want. I honestly like it. But, give us these options. I know you don't like options, but when your users are discussing changing platforms just to use your service, then I think that says there is a real problem here -- one, we are overly addicted to evernote, but two, we are feeling very frustrated. I cannot do the things I used to be able to do on Evernote (some of them are arguably core competencies of the app), and I definitely cannot do a lot that I want to do, just because I am using a Mac :( I am honestly at a loss to explain how the interface and users benefit from less information about their account and less control over it. I might sound like a strange power user with crazy needs, but I suspect that if you stuck one hundred Windows users at random on a Mac for a few days then you would hear similar complaints.

Anyhow, I know the designers are working hard, and I hate to be so un-appreciative of their efforts, but I really like where Windows is going. I just don't see how someone could objectively judge the Mac client to be better than the Windows one based on organization, functionality, or productivity. I think the OSX and iOS teams could really benefit from sharing some of the design direction that their Windows counterparts are developing. And, maybe they could bring over some of their interface art as well, because I think the Mac client is certainly the better-looking of the two :)

• Level 5

more visible titles to review

Feedback greatly appreciated.

I find that getting to something like "more visible titles" is far more useful than "want more list view" because it lets us actually try to solve a problem than just jumping straight to a solution without fully understanding. If there are any other specifics like that, I'd love to hear it.

thanks as always!

I use vertical list view because:

- The note view is more usable. The wide and shallow note view in horizontal mode is a waste on a wide screen display.

- Toggling note view off gives me the same results as horizontal view.

I use list view primarily when I am editing a typically large collection of notes in the Windows client.

I infrequently use list view in the Web client. Probably because of the limited metadata provided compared to the Windows client.

I use vertical list view because:

- The note view is more usable. The wide and shallow note view in horizontal mode is a waste on a wide screen display.

- Toggling note view off gives me the same results as horizontal view.

I use list view primarily when I am editing a typically large collection of notes in the Windows client.

I infrequently use list view in the Web client. Probably because of the limited metadata provided compared to the Windows client.

So from this I'm gathering that the increased density and ability to see a larger set of notes, is very important. Is that correct?

Also, what metadata is important to you?

• Level 5*

dlu, what I think Owyn is saying, and is also true for me, is that by displaying a Vertical List to the LEFT of the Note Panel, instead of on TOP of the Note Panel, allows us to both view a nice concise list of Notes, while having a large vertical display (top to bottom of screen) of the Note contents.

Thus, if I have a number of notes to review/clean-up (like after a series of web-clippings), I can view the entire list of notes in my Inbox, and display most, if not all, of the Note Contents for editing, This makes the editing go very fast.

So there are many uses for a Vertical List.

• Level 5*

I find that getting to something like "more visible titles" is far more useful than "want more list view" because it lets us actually try to solve a problem than just jumping straight to a solution without fully understanding. If there are any other specifics like that, I'd love to hear it.

thanks as always!

hello. the guiding principle ought to be (in my opinion) that evernote shows as much information as possible, and you can toggle that off if necessary. you can stick with the streamlined interface that only shows basic stuff as a default. but, when the default is the only option (mac) it unnecessarily restricts users with (to my eyes) no appreciable benefit.

as for your question about what metadata, i think the solution to all of this is really simple. customization :)

just as we can customize the toolbar to remove/include icons, enable us to remove/include information in our views. other developers, for example, give you a choice of how many lines of snippet text you want to view. that kind of thing. i may want to have the tag metadata visible in the vertical list view, because i want to easily be able to sort things there. owyn might want to have notebooks. no need to put us in a procrustean bed by deciding which of the two options to include: just let us customize it.

again, you ought to have a default view, and i am fine with design decisions there. that is a good thing. but, customization and default views are not mutually exclusive. currently, windows has struck a really nice balance, and with the addition of the vertical list view, could provide new productivity capabilities. for some reason, mac is removing features evernote designers have worked hard to develop, and is actually making it more difficult to be productive. i do hope the designers will put their heads together and agree on a way to make customization happen.

vertical list views for all platforms please :)

Yeah. The vertical note pane normally shows my complete note, the horizontal pane almost never did. The narrower pane is also quicker to read (basic tenet of speed reading).

Most missed metadata in the web client is notebook.

Most used metadata in the windows client, by frequency of reference:

Note title

Notebook

Created date

Tags

Sourceurl

Updated date

I have used all of the metadata available in Windows list view at one time or another, but, the above are ones I have consistently available and moved to the left of the list.

• Level 5*

Yeah. The vertical note pane normally shows my complete note, the horizontal pane almost never did. The narrower pane is also quicker to read (basic tenet of speed reading).

Most missed metadata in the web client is notebook.

Most used metadata in the windows client, by frequency of reference:

Note title

Notebook

Created date

Tags

Sourceurl

Updated date

I have used all of the metadata available in Windows list view at one time or another, but, the above are ones I have consistently available and moved to the left of the list.

i find size to be really useful as well.

• Level 5*

hello. the guiding principle ought to be (in my opinion) that evernote shows as much information as possible, and you can toggle that off if necessary. you can stick with the streamlined interface that only shows basic stuff as a default. but, when the default is the only option (mac) it unnecessarily restricts users with (to my eyes) no appreciable benefit.

To GM's point, EN Win provides a lot of user control over what is displayed. This is what we want for EN Mac, and if technically possible, for EN iPad.

Here are two screen shots, the first showing ALL collapsable panels, and the second showing all of the panels hidden to provide a very clean writing/reading view.

EN Win Showing ALL Panels (except Left Panel w/NB, Tags, etc)

EN_Win_All_Panels.gif

EN Win with All Panels Hidden

EN_Win_Clean_View.gif

• Level 5*

To GM's point, EN Win provides a lot of user control over what is displayed. This is what we want for EN Mac, and if technically possible, for EN iPad.

Here are two screen shots, the first showing ALL collapsable panels, and the second showing all of the panels hidden to provide a very clean writing/reading view.

EN Win Showing ALL Panels (except Left Panel w/NB, Tags, etc)

EN_Win_All_Panels.gif

EN Win with All Panels Hidden

EN_Win_Clean_View.gif

windows is great about showing you information, and i really prefer that interface over any of the others. no question about it. if i were showing evernote off to my friends, i'd hide my ipad and mpb, and take out my dilapidated netbook, because this is the interface that i consider to be the gold standard.

mac used to provide more than what it has now, so i wonder what is happening. it seems to me that the apps are traveling on different roadmaps, and i don't like where the mac is headed. if they are traveling on the same road (parity) then i guess we should soon expect the windows sorting options to be shrunken, the search explanations to go away, and all of the editable metadata to disappear? windows users better hope not!

as for the ipad, i am at a loss of words sometimes. it has come so far, yet it still pales in comparison to the iphone app... i don't understand, but i really hope that developers will take the windows interface model as being farthest along on the roadmap (if so, then the mac is taking some wild detours and doing a lot of backtracking) and try to get everyone else as close as possible to this. a vertical list view on windows would be an incredible addition.

• Level 5

So from this I'm gathering that the increased density and ability to see a larger set of notes, is very important. Is that correct?

Also, what metadata is important to you?

My personal view is that it is "important", but not "very important".

I reserve "very important" requests for items such as the Due Date column.

By the way, the impact of seeing a larger set of notes in the Note List panel is diluted with the new multi-select preview in the Note Panel.

• Level 5

FYI: After revision 249872 (builds 4.5.7+) vertical note list mode will be toggled if Shift key is down when switching to note list using View or Note List menu. You can also use Ctrl+Shift+F5 shortcut key,

/Peter

What's faster? Scrolling down a vertically stunted window trying to find the right note, or the eye flickering down an immediately visible list? A no-brainer as far as I'm concerned. How many other apps do you know that allow no more than half a dozen results on their most-important list? Only PersonalBrain v5.x, as far as I recall. By the time they got to v6.x, the penny finally dropped and they increased the height of the incremental search results, at the expense of a bit of real estate in their beloved Plex. All the rest started off with the notion that a tall tree or list is the way to go.

Only one problem with the current VerticalListView registry fix. I can't make the list window any narrower than shown, probably because it isn't possible for the search field to slide under the "Notes by ..." dropdown list, as maybe it should:

2dl3lna.png

Notice my Notebook titles are as short as possible, and to give myself even more room for the Note pane when using EN in a normal (not maximized) window, I've even dispensed with the Tags column, which I now find superfluous to my needs (of course, others find it very useful).

On balance, both horizontal and vertical list views are valuable according to one's own need, and at times one might want to switch effortlessly between them in order to display a greater or lesser number of columns in the List pane. The number of columns available in this pane in horizontal view puts EN ahead of all the opposition, which probably accounted for its initial design. I don't think it's gilding the lily to offer both layouts to the user.

• Level 5*

FYI: After revision 249872 (builds 4.5.7+) vertical note list mode will be toggled if Shift key is down when switching to note list using View or Note List menu. You can also use Ctrl+Shift+F5 shortcut key,

/Peter

YAY! Please slip a note to the Mac development team with a screenshot of the Windows UI. Donate some of your time helping them code. We'll send you cookies :)

• 2 weeks later...

/Peter

Just updated to the latest beta (4.5.7.6969 (252313) Prerelease), and this works. Both Shift Clicking and Ctrl + Shift + F5 works :)

I guess the next step is to include the option in the interface now :P

• Level 5

Ctrl + Shift + F5

What a wonderful improvement!

The Snippet view was great, but now it is awesome.

Some tweaks to maximize my viewing area

1.) Hide the left panel (F10)

2.) Toggle the note info off (F8)

3.) Toggle the note editor off (Ctrl + F8)

4.) Turn off Search Explanation (Ctrl + F10)

5.) Turn off word count (>View >Show Status Bar)

Here is what my full screen Evernote looks like with tons of visible information

http://www.evernote....164fee42533ada4

• 4 months later...

I mentioned this elsewhere, but this might be a better place.

What about the ability to adjust the font size in the list view.

I use the list view for a task list (task note are in the body); the small font is a bit too small to make this easy to work with.

Thanks for the consideration,

Gordon

• Level 5*
I mentioned this elsewhere, but this might be a better place.

Yes, you did, but no, it isn't. Better as a separate topic, because it's, well, a different topic.I split out your other request and made it it's own topic.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

Hello. On Mac EN Build 5.0.2 (400649).

Both Shift Clicking and Ctrl + Shift + F5 do not work. Ideas?

Those shortcut keys, and this topic, apply to the Windows Evernote client, not the Mac client. There is no vertical list view on the Mac.

• 3 months later...

thanks as always!

I like the Snippet view because I use Evernote to store templates of paragraphs that I use for emailing.  I use different EMail systems, so Evernote is the best way to store these clips.  I like to see the introductory lines for all the notes in a folder, but if that folder grows to over a dozen notes, I much prefer to see all the note titles.

So...  The ideal behavior for me would be 4 lines (as is the default if you include the title and three preview lines) when there are 6 notes in a folder, 3 lines if there are 7 to 10, 2 lines for 10-16, and one line if there are over 16.

Of course, it would be even better if I simply had the ability to specify, folder-by-folder, the number of lines in the snippet view (Title+1, 2, 3, or even 4, 5, and 6!)

Thanks for being interested in users.

thanks as always!

I like the Snippet view because I use Evernote to store templates of paragraphs that I use for emailing.  I use different EMail systems, so Evernote is the best way to store these clips.  I like to see the introductory lines for all the notes in a folder, but if that folder grows to over a dozen notes, I much prefer to see all the note titles.

So...  The ideal behavior for me would be 4 lines (as is the default if you include the title and three preview lines) when there are 6 notes in a folder, 3 lines if there are 7 to 10, 2 lines for 10-16, and one line if there are over 16.

Of course, it would be even better if I simply had the ability to specify, folder-by-folder, the number of lines in the snippet view (Title+1, 2, 3, or even 4, 5, and 6!)

Thanks for being interested in users.

Thanks! I'll ponder on this. I like the idea of adaptive design. If we could give you the best interface when you wanted it, without you asking that seems pretty great idea. However, it can often be surprising and confusing. Sometimes users blame themselves, thinking they must have "done something wrong" because they didn't mean to change anything. And we certainly don't want users to feel like that.

But still, worth pondering. Thanks!

Archived