Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

Evernote Clearly- Comments section

clearly comments

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 theexplorer123

theexplorer123

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 06:52 PM

On articles I read, I enjoy reading the comments section; and would love to read them without all the clutter that Clearly provides.

Can Clearly do this?

If not, are there any plans of doing this?

Thanks

#2 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Evernote Geek
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:34 PM

Not sure what you are talking about.
Can you give an example?
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)
Windows 7 SP1 & XP SP3 (EN 4.5.8.7356)
iPod Touch 2G (iOS 4.2.1, EN 4.1.9) / Blackberry Playbook (OS 2.0.1, EN 1.3)
Latest stable browsers & clippers(Chrome(default), Firefox, IE8/9)

#3 tardis

tardis

• PipPipPipPip
  • Title: Shepherd
  • 157 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:42 PM

I think they're asking for the comments section of an article to be included in Clearly's output — decluttered the same way an article is.

Took me a few tries to word that properly (and I hope I have). It's an awkward request to try to phrase. Hopefully that makes it a little more clear?

Personally, it seems a little counterintuitive to what Clearly is supposed to do. I've always used it as a way of cutting out all the stuff I don't need from an article's page — comments included.

#4 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 08:15 PM

That is what is confusing.
In general, the Clearly article clipper already includes "de-cluttered" comments, the e.g. Chrome Web Clipper article clip does not.
I make frequent use of the difference to quickly clip articles without any of the comments.

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)

#5 theexplorer123

theexplorer123

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:30 PM

Sorry that my post was confusing. I wrote it rather hastily. I will try to put it more succintly.

I think they're asking for the comments section of an article to be included in Clearly's output — decluttered the same way an article is.

Took me a few tries to word that properly (and I hope I have). It's an awkward request to try to phrase. Hopefully that makes it a little more clear?

Personally, it seems a little counterintuitive to what Clearly is supposed to do. I've always used it as a way of cutting out all the stuff I don't need from an article's page — comments included.

This is exactly correct; except I actually want the comments- but without all the other things that Clearly helps do away with (ads, etcs..)

I prefer this: Posted Image

rather than this: Posted Image

I find that this works only on some of the pages I read and no others. Any reason why?

#6 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

I find that this works only on some of the pages I read and no others. Any reason why?

Because what you are asking for is really hard and contrary to the primary purpose of Clearly.
Best workaround at this time is to pre-select the comments sections before clicking Clearly icon.
You might also find AdBlock Plus to be of general help for your browsing.

I use both AdBlock and Clearly.

Premium User

#7 shimra

shimra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 221 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:46 PM

On articles I read, I enjoy reading the comments section; and would love to read them without all the clutter that Clearly provides.

Can Clearly do this?

If not, are there any plans of doing this?

Thanks

You can select manually, the article and the comment section before hitting the clearly button. Sometimes this works and causes both the article and comments to be displayed, while sometimes it crashes clearly. I reported this in the troublesome url thread but they haven't fixed it.

On some blogs the comments themselves are interesting "content" and well worth clipping. I hope they fix this.

#8 Dellu

Dellu

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

I also want this feature. I have been struggling to find a way of including the comments section of New York times webpage into my clippings. In some cases, the comments are more informative and powerful than the original article itself. Look at this page for example. I want Clearly to remove all the clutter on the right and top of the webpage, as it always does, but keep the comments section. I just want to clip and annotate some of the comments. It would be great if you guys can offer the feature as an option in Clearly.

#9 gonefishing

gonefishing

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 04:03 PM

Yes exactly this -- Clearly crashes. For example on this standard drupal article, Clearly cuts the comments. When the comments are selected, Clearly dies.

http://www.acquia.co...ents-migrate-24

You can select manually, the article and the comment section before hitting the clearly button. Sometimes this works and causes both the article and comments to be displayed, while sometimes it crashes clearly. I reported this in the troublesome url thread but they haven't fixed it.

In the meantime Print What You Like is my best hope.

#10 chanlerone

chanlerone

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 08:46 AM

I have the same request. When crawling around the web sometimes I come across a perfectly working solution to a headbreaking problem. And that solution sometimes happens to be a post in a comment section of some blogpost.

When I then press the Clearly button it'll only show the original blogpost, not the comments. Therefor also not the solution I want to mark and clip. Even when manually selecting the entire post and comments Clearly just strippes the comments of.

Does someone have a solution for this? Of even a better way of clipping this without the entire page overhead.

Just an example: http://social.techne...0-3471ee31a32a/

Press the Clearly button and it will show you until "And nothing. Seriously, what am I doing wrong?"

#11 jbignert

jbignert

• Title: Browncoat
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 09:16 AM

Clearly is designed to strip out the comments section so this is by design. The majority of user that I talk to prefer not to include the comments in Clearly, not planning to change that at the moment. 

#12 chanlerone

chanlerone

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

That's a pity...

Best workaround at this time is to pre-select the comments sections before clicking Clearly icon. 

This is also not true then? 

#13 jbenson2

jbenson2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: User # 142,683
  • 5,590 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

Clearly is designed to strip out the comments section so this is by design. The majority of user that I talk to prefer not to include the comments in Clearly, not planning to change that at the moment. 

You are so right on this subject.

The user comments end up going all over the board covering off-topic subjects and non-relevant material.

I want Clearly to capture the content of the article.

If I have some reason to capture a specific user's comment, I will use the Evernote Clipper.

#14 gonefishing

gonefishing

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

Well thanks  ibignert and jbenson2 for skipping 18 months of discussion to share your instant opinions

This is an existing feature that is buggy and not an additional feature.

Took the quick route and purged Clearly from the office terminals and replaced it with a (non Evernote) bookmarklet

Arrivederci Megido

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote