(Archived) Evernote for Mac 3.0.7 Beta 2

dlu

Idea

Hello People of Evernote Mac!

We have a new Beta 2 for everyone.

We've made fairly big changes to the way bullet points work. Please post any issues you do have, but they'll behave a lot more consistently.

We've also made it so you need to login to launch Evernote. Previously you only needed to login to sync to the Evenote servers. This is more of a privacy improvement though, because if someone has access to your computer, the files are still accessible in Finder, etc.

The issue with German/Spanish (and possibly other) languages that were truncating names of Notebooks in the popup menu in the note panel is fixed. An issue with incorrect highlighting of search terms in PDFs was fixed.

The trash can now be sorted by Date Deleted. Please let us know what you think!

If you've opted into the Betas, you can go to Help >> Check for Updates

If you're not auto-updating, you can get the beta here: http://evernote.s3.a...note_224219.zip

19 replies to this idea

Hi all, I don't use note history much but I noticed that the text in the note history window is at odds with "reality":

Note History window says: "(...) click Export to download the note. Once downloaded, the note can be imported using the Import option (...)."

Computer says:

1. There is no "Export" to click on, only "Import" (hey, no big deal)

2. Old versions don't download but turn up in a new (synced or local) notebook, even offering a choice to reinstate old tags

tl;dr Note History window - text needs updating

(edit: the text seems to be recycled from the web version)

...every time I move a note, I end up in another notebook instead of staying in my default notebook. That's why I vote for this feature being optional...

... I had to switch over to dragging notes to the notebook pane.

As an alternative, you can right click and use the "move to notebook" option as well as dragging one or more notes onto the notebook in the left panel.

/snip

The thought is that if you're on an individual note, having it disappear before your eyes is a little weird. Since you're acting within the note pane, we assume you're focus is there and that's the context you'd want to keep. The other actions happen in the middle pane or between the middle pane and left pane, so we assume you want to keep that as context.

• Level 5*

This feature was introduced in Evernote for Mac 3.0.7 Beta 1:

Changing notebook from Note popup doesn't cause note to disappear

This new feature may be convenient for lot of people, but I'll opt for a checkbox in the settings - there is one for clipping, but not for people who just want to sort their notebooks.

. . .

I bet I'm not the only one who is frustrated with this. That's why I vote for this feature being optional and I hope some other users see it the same way.

I proposed a solution in the EN Mac 3.0.7 Beta 1 thread that would address your issues, as well as issues that have been in EN Mac for quite a while.

Please review the below, and let us know if this would work for you, or not.

Simple Summary of Proposed Change

It boils down to NEVER change the notebook filter when the user changes the notebook on the Note itself (using the dropdown). By doing this, it makes sure that:
  1. A new Note does NOT "disappear" when the Notebook is changed on the Note, and the Notebook filter is set to "All Notebooks"
  2. When you do have a notebook filter set, and you are reviewing a list of Notes in order to reassign them to a correct notebook, when you change notebook on the Note, the Note will disappear because it has been "moved" to a different notebook (like in the Outlook Inbox)

Here is a more technical, detailed specification of the same change:

As previously discussed with DLU on Feb 8, 2012, the best solution IMO is to make EN Mac behave like EN Win has for a very long time:

The problem arises because EN Mac changes the NB filter when the NB on the Note is changed. This should never happen.

Just so that everyone knows, here is the behavior of EN Win, and what I believe should be the behavior of EN Mac:

• When User creates a NEW Note
    • IF current NB filter is "All Notebooks" THEN
      • Set Note NB to the users default NB
      • Do NOT change the NB filter

[*]ELSE

• Set Note NB to the current NB

[*]There is NO change in the displayed list of Note, except to add the new Note.

• When changing the NB on the Note
    • IF current NB filter is "All Notebooks" THEN
      • Continue to display the Note because NB filter is for "All Notebooks"

[*]ELSE

• Do NOT change the NB Filter
      • Note is removed from display because it does not match the NB filter
        (i.e., the Note is "moved" to another NB)

Please feel free to post your comments if you see any issues with this behavior.

If a change is to be made, we want a solution that will work best for most users.

I bet I'm not the only one who is frustrated with this. That's why I vote for this feature being optional and I hope some other users see it the same way.

You're not. This is exactly how I use Evernote too. Everything I need is collected there before it's titled, dated, tagged, and filed away. I had to switch over to dragging notes to the notebook pane. It seems like odd behavior for something called an inbox which is supposed to be a holding pen for incoming information.

This feature was introduced in Evernote for Mac 3.0.7 Beta 1:

Changing notebook from Note popup doesn't cause note to disappear

This new feature may be convenient for lot of people, but I'll opt for a checkbox in the settings - there is one for clipping, but not for people who just want to sort their notebooks.

Here's my workflow:

1. The gathering

• I happily clip on the web - most of the times I assign tags and the according notebook directly.

• However, I also clip via my iPhone, via GoogleReader and a plethora of other web applications. All these clippings get collected in my default notebook - it's my collection point.

2. The archiving

At the end of the week I sort my findings, moving them into notebooks and tagging them upfront. This is a crucial step and the update breaks this workflow because every time I move a note, I end up in another notebook instead of staying in my default notebook.

Annoying, right?

that's putting it mildly.... i somehow managed to remove the bullets from the whole list and started from scratch...

it seems to be an issue with most html editors though, something like that has happened to me before.

and don't even get me started on mixing bullet points with to do checkboxes!

You can get rid of it, but it's a hassle, and shows how bad Evernote bullets and lists are. To get rid of it, backspace from the beginning of "Defibr..." until that line joins the one above it. The unwanted bullet will be pushed down a line. Repeat that until you push the bullet down to the end of the bullet list, and it will be deleted. Annoying, right?

If you enter a different account, it will actually try to downsync the new account over your previous account. The Mac Client currently doesn't support multiple accounts on a single user in OS X. The recommended way is to create a new user in OS X.

If you're able to upgrade, you should already be signed in. This is if you uncheck "Stay logged in" and then quit the app. The next time the app starts up, it'll ask you to login. Also, for example if you drag a file onto Evernote, it'll ask you to login. You'll have to login and then create the note.

I have just tried this. When I start Evernote, if I my wife use her username/password it loads my own information and not my wife's information; no privacy at all.

@dlu, you forgot to mention the biggest (IMO) update: Search bug is fixed for the BEFORE syntax.

So now, the following Search Expression will show ONLY Notes updated yesterday:

updated:20120215 -updated:20120216

Or, via the UI, you can now Search for all Notes BEFORE a time period, like "This Year".

This Search shows all Notes Created BEFORE 1/1/2012:

Left Panel > Attributes > Created > This year

And, for everyone's reference:

RELEASE NOTES

Version 3.0.7 Beta 2 (02/15/2012) build 226178

* Allow trash contents to be sorted by 'Deleted Date'

* Lots of bulleted/numbered list fixes

* Correctly highlight search results inside all PDFs

* Fix a bug when searching for notes by date

* Other bug fixes

Yes, this has been worked on. I didn't explicitly mention it because there were some other attributes we need to test/fix still :)

If you're able to upgrade, you should already be signed in. This is if you uncheck "Stay logged in" and then quit the app. The next time the app starts up, it'll ask you to login. Also, for example if you drag a file onto Evernote, it'll ask you to login. You'll have to login and then create the note.

I just updated to the Beta 2 version.

When I goto: Evernote: About: it shows this: " Version 3.0.7 Beta 1 (224219)" Should it be listed as Beta 2?

Also, you stated " you need to login to launch Evernote." I didn't have to login, Am I missing something ?

I haven't had to sign in either. Will it have a 'Remember me' option?

And I haven't noticed any changes with the bullets, what are the specifics with that?

• Level 5*

Nice update - haven't had time to play much with the bullet lists, but it is something I use very frequently and a quick spin looks promising.

However, what I have noticed: the highlighting issue remains for some searches, while it is better for others. My favourite example is a search for "Wittgenstein" which - as expected - returns two notes with a PDF each. One of the documents yields 2 hits. Wittgenstein is mentioned on page 16 and on the very last page of the document. There is, however, only one highligt. On page 18! The other document is worse - 8 matches, but for several of the highlights I can't find the word.

I thought maybe it's because the documents need to be (re?)indexed as the info popover says. But it appears that for the documents where it does indeed seems to be fixed also awaits indexing...

i can confirm that pdf searches are not working so great.

1. in japanese, a term will be highlighted with a horizontal rectangle, even though the text is vertical, and the highlighting is randomly placed on a nearby page. in adobe, the highlighting works roughly (two or three characters off, as is its wont) as it should, so at least the ocr for the document is correct.

2. in english, nothing is highlighted, and the last page of a document is shown, when the term appears at the beginning (at least evernote found the document!) on the first page. again, adobe finds this correctly (english language highlighting seems to match up better with the ocr position in adobe).

is it possible that the highlighting is performing poorly for documents we ocr (nearly all of mine) and doing better with ones evernote ocrs?

• Level 5*

@dlu, you forgot to mention the biggest (IMO) update: Search bug is fixed for the BEFORE syntax.

So now, the following Search Expression will show ONLY Notes updated yesterday:

updated:20120215 -updated:20120216

Or, via the UI, you can now Search for all Notes BEFORE a time period, like "This Year".

This Search shows all Notes Created BEFORE 1/1/2012:

Left Panel > Attributes > Created > This year

And, for everyone's reference:

RELEASE NOTES

Version 3.0.7 Beta 2 (02/15/2012) build 226178

* Allow trash contents to be sorted by 'Deleted Date'

* Lots of bulleted/numbered list fixes

* Correctly highlight search results inside all PDFs

* Fix a bug when searching for notes by date

* Other bug fixes

Nice update - haven't had time to play much with the bullet lists, but it is something I use very frequently and a quick spin looks promising.

However, what I have noticed: the highlighting issue remains for some searches, while it is better for others. My favourite example is a search for "Wittgenstein" which - as expected - returns two notes with a PDF each. One of the documents yields 2 hits. Wittgenstein is mentioned on page 16 and on the very last page of the document. There is, however, only one highligt. On page 18! The other document is worse - 8 matches, but for several of the highlights I can't find the word.

I thought maybe it's because the documents need to be (re?)indexed as the info popover says. But it appears that for the documents where it does indeed seems to be fixed also awaits indexing...

Hello People of Evernote Mac!

We have a new Beta 2 for everyone.

We've made fairly big changes to the way bullet points work. Please post any issues you do have, but they'll behave a lot more consistently.

We've also made it so you need to login to launch Evernote. Previously you only needed to login to sync to the Evenote servers. This is more of a privacy improvement though, because if someone has access to your computer, the files are still accessible in Finder, etc.

The issue with German/Spanish (and possibly other) languages that were truncating names of Notebooks in the popup menu in the note panel is fixed. An issue with incorrect highlighting of search terms in PDFs was fixed.

The trash can now be sorted by Date Deleted. Please let us know what you think!

If you've opted into the Betas, you can go to Help >> Check for Updates

If you're not auto-updating, you can get the beta here: http://evernote.s3.a...note_224219.zip

I just updated to the Beta 2 version.

When I goto: Evernote: About: it shows this: " Version 3.0.7 Beta 1 (224219)" Should it be listed as Beta 2?

Also, you stated " you need to login to launch Evernote." I didn't have to login, Am I missing something ?

Archived