How to sort the text within a note

Howard Hill

Idea

Ah yes, the clarion tone of monotonous mediocrity. The opposite of innovation in the (business) world of technology is not conservatism, it is stagnation. Perhaps if an automobile does not suit one, a horse-drawn cart would be better. After all, most people are probably not afraid of progress per se - such an abstract concept - rather of being left behind in the dung heap of history. But line sorting - seriously? So elegant, so basic, so handy (for some). When needed, I much prefer an alphabetized dictionary to a random word list. (Do I feel a flame approaching?)

"There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home."
- Ken Olson, President, Chairman and Founder of Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC),

"Think outside the box, collapse the box, and take a @#$%@#@ sharp knife to it."
- Banksy, Wall and Piece

"Innovation, being avant garde, is always polemic."
- Ferran AdriĆ  i Acosta

• Like 1

Ah yes, the clarion tone of monotonous mediocrity. The opposite of innovation in the (business) world of technology is not conservatism, it is stagnation. Perhaps if an automobile does not suit one, a horse-drawn cart would be better. After all, most people are probably not afraid of progress per se - such an abstract concept - rather of being left behind in the dung heap of history. But line sorting - seriously? So elegant, so basic, so handy (for some). When needed, I much prefer an alphabetized dictionary to a random word list. (Do I feel a flame approaching?)

- Ken Olson, President, Chairman and Founder of Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC),

"Think outside the box, collapse the box, and take a @#$%@#@ sharp knife to it."

- Banksy, Wall and Piece

- Ferran AdriĆ  i Acosta

Yes, well nice try at diverting attention from the issues at hand by using broad (and inaccurate I would add) generalizations.Ā  But no cigar.Ā 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

- Banksy, Wall and Piece

- Ferran AdriĆ  i Acosta

Ā 

Well said, totochto!

Ā 

Some people just feel compelled to continuously object to everything they don't understand.Ā  My solution:Ā  just ignore them, and keep on asking for what you want.Ā  These objectors have no say in Evernote's decision making process.Ā  Many times now, Evernote has implemented features that these people objected to, or said it is not in the scope of the Evernote app. ;)

Well said, totochto!

Ā 

Some people just feel compelled to continuously object to everything they don't understand.Ā  My solution:Ā  just ignore them, and keep on asking for what you want.Ā  These objectors have no say in Evernote's decision making process.Ā  Many times now, Evernote has implemented features that these people objected to, or said it is not in the scope of the Evernote app. ;)

JMichael, I don't know why, but you often (always) feel compelled to continuously object to & nitpick posts by the evangelists. I find this very sad b/c the evangelists are the ones who tirelessly help others, unlike those who find pleasure/satisfaction from belittling them.Ā  Perhaps there's a bit of evangelist envy going on there.Ā  I don't know.Ā  But it's really very sad.Ā  I'm sure this will come as a surprise to you, but I fully understand the feature request. If you were to read my post, you will see I was addressing the fact that another user considers this feature 'basic'...because you also regularly twist what we post to suit your agenda. Please cite where I (or anyone) has objected to this feature. I eagerly await your citations so that I know you are speaking the truth & simply not (yet again) twisting what was said to suit your purposes.

• Like 4

Anyway!

Ā 

I have only looked as far back as the last page so a message for Shanezam203.

Shanezam203

Ā 

For your DVD collection check out DVD Profiler.

Ā 

http://www.invelos.com/

Ā 

I have many thousands of DVD's and you either type in the number shown on the bar code, put the DVD in your computer or just type the name of the movie and it will bring up a list of DVD's that it already has on it's database. Select the correct one and you have now listed your DVD.

Ā 

You can easily search by any criteria, genre, actor, part of title etc.

Ā 

Keep your DVD's in these cases which are marked 1 - 100. I then add a letter category to each box.

Ā 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DiscGear-Selector-desktop-storage-case/dp/B00007DWEA

Ā 

This information is also put in DVD Profiler. This means once I have found the movie I want to watch, lets say it is located as G24, which obviously means box G, DVD 24, I then go to box G, move the slider to 24 and press the button. The lid comes up with the DVD selected! Works a treat!

Ā 

Best regards

Ā 

Chris

• Level 5*

I have many thousands of DVD's

. . .

Best regards

Ā 

Chris

Ā 

Wow!Ā  I'm not sure that I could even identify 1,000 movies that I like, much less buy the DVD!Ā  You have an extensive and expensive collection my friend.Ā  Maybe some day it will be worth millions to some avid collector.Ā 

Ā 

I once collected CDs, DVDs, Blu-Rays, but now I'm comfortable with maintaining everything online (except for my music, which I have both online (Apple iCloud) and locally (Mac and iPhone)).

Ā 

Sorry for the off-topic post.Ā  And now, back to your regular program.Ā  :-)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Notepad++ is an entirely different type of note editor (I use it a lot). It's expressly designed for editing text, not markup (what Evernote notes are based on). It's based on Scintilla, an open source library for editing source code (seeĀ http://www.scintilla.org/). It's not clear to me that Scintilla provides the sorting, or whether the NotePad++ folks do this.

Ā 

That being said, sorting lines of markup is not exactly rocket science. If Evernote thought that it was worth doing, they'd probably do it.

• Like 1

I found a way to sort alphabetically the content within a note. Ā 

Ā 

Until Evernote catches on that it should fix Evernote's failure to allow sorting note content, the following work-around may help you as it has me.

Ā 

1. Open the note whose contents Ā you wish to alphabetize. Ā Highlight all and copy.

2. Open Word, select File, select New Blank Document

3. Paste the content from Evernote onto the new blank document

4. Within Word, go to Table, select Sort, within Sort chose the default "sort by paragraph," and chose "ascending" or "descending," then click "ok"

5. Then highlight the sorted content which now appears in your in your Word document and copy

6. Return to the Evernote and paste the sorted and now alphabetized content into the note

Ā 

Good luck!

Just a reprise of earlier observations: Yes, of course, we can take material out of Evernote, copy to Word, sort, and reimport, as has been noted several times. That's an emergency solution for use when sorting is essential, I suppose.

Ā 

But the only real solution is to have the capability within Evernote -- what's the point of an app that requires another "app" to offer what some might say are basic functions? This thread is valuable (I hope) to keep encouraging Evernote to get this right.

Ā 

(I love Evernote. I use it all day long, for multiple tasks. So this is coming from someone who likes it enough to take the time to promote improvements.)

Ā 

But the only real solution is to have the capability within Evernote -- what's the point of an app that requires another "app" to offer what some might say are basic functions? This thread is valuable (I hope) to keep encouraging Evernote to get this right.

Ā 

Until Evernote catches on that it should fix Evernote's failure to allow sorting note content,

In the end it comes down to priorities. This is really important to you, it couldn't matter any less to me. So in our sample size of 2 we have a 50/50 split. That's why it's tough being a software company.

Ā 

Evernote's approach to this so far has been to develop their software in a way that would be most useful to themselves and this up to now has not included this feature.Ā 

Ā 

Given that there have recently been major revisions to the major clients and it's not included it would be difficult to see the feature appearing in the near future. This leaves you with a choice, if you need to be able to re-order your text right now then Evernote is not the app for you. If you can live with workarounds until Evernote decide to implement it (and they may never do so), then that is fine.

Ā 

This isn't a design flaw or some horrendously serious omission that the numptees in California have made, it's a choice and as fortunate free adults we all have the opportunity to vote with our feet and find an alternative solution if we are not happy with a product.

No one has said this feature would not be useful. And I don't think this feature is really in need of being further defined. This isn't rocket science. However, it's something Evernote has chosen to not implement yet, if at all. It's their company, their product & their choice

If Evernote thought that it was worth doing, they'd probably do it.

• Like 1

I'm going to have a quick brainstorm meeting why we think Evernote should add sorting within notes. We will also look at why they should not offer note sorting. Ā Then I will put my brainstorm notes in priority order for you. Ā Oh, sorry, I can't do that part for you because Evernote doesn't offer that feature.

• Level 5*

I don't see the point in posting multiple quotes of what has already been said in this thread.

It's a real waste of space and just clutters the thread.

What's more, it doesn't change any of the other posters view.

Ā 

There's nothing wrong with people continuing to express their need for sorting.

Who knows, if CUSTOMERS continue to complain and request this feature, Evernote may someday see the light! Ā  ;)

• Like 1

I don't see the point in posting multiple quotes of what has already been said in this thread.

Who knows, if CUSTOMERS continue to complain and request this feature, Evernote may someday see the light! ;)

As a CUSTOMER too, it really doesn't MATTER to me if you see the POINT or not.

A Modest Proposal
(for Accomplishing Note Line Sorting with Evernote)
Ā 

Ā 

1) Print out the note to be sorted on any common electronic printer.
2) Copy the contents of the note to a sheet of fine vellum with a hand-plucked goose quill pen in actual ninth-century ink by hand in fine calligraphy. Be sure to scribe by hand on the sheet of vellum, an exquisite illustration in the style of The Book of Kells.
3) Write another note to accompany the original note in step (2), requesting the finder of this note package to sort the lines of the note in step (2) using an alpha-numeric sort algorithm by hand. Then indicate the finder should scribe the sorted list on another sheet of fine vellum, as indicated in step (2). In closing this note explain how the finder should follow the bottle procedure outlined below, enclosing all notes, including the sorted version, also finely hand-illustrated.
4) Place all notes in a hand-blown brown glass bottle, sealed securely with cork, wax and string.
5) Travel to the coast of France, along the English Channel by sailing ship.
6) Set the sealed glass bottle in step (4) adrift in the ocean water, taking into account the current circulation contingencies.
7) Pray in Medieval Ecclesiastical Latin that the liberated bottle reaches the coast of Ireland, where a visiting scholar from Trinity College, Dublin, will, while frolicking in the cold surf, notice the floating bottle and open it.
8) Also pray that visiting scholar is, as a hobby, trained in medieval monastic calligraphy, and that he will follow your bottled directions to the letter.
9) Request that that the scholar, upon completion of his sorting and illustration tasks, take all the documents to the nearest FedEx Office, have them scanned to a 16GB USB flash drive and delivered to the Evernote Offices, where the sorted note image can be posted to your Evernote account.
10) Upon receipt of the sorted note image, hand-copy the text into Notepad and save it and transfer it to your Evernote account.
11) Or hope that Evernote responds to the frequent user request to implement line sorting in Evernote.

Ā 

Ā 

Since I expect some moderator, evangelist or whatever to miss the satirical approach here - it is still sarcasm ā€“ and pontificate endlessly and hostilely, I include this addendum. Credit Jonathan Swift (Gulliver's Travels) for his original essay with a similar title regarding English elimination of the ā€œIrish Problemā€. Though this is satire/sarcasm, the problem addressed is real ā€“ lack of response to serious user requests. Without Evernote users, we'd all be using Google Keep. (awaiting flame)

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Uh, most of the moderators have at least some sense of satire, humor, irony, etc. and at least one of us even recognised the allusion from the title. Sorry to dash your expectations on that score...

• Like 1

In the early days of this thread, there was some friendly banter about alphabetizing grocery lists in Evernote... along with a couple of tongue-in-cheek rebuttals. This nifty iOS app, "GroceryTrip", built as a 3rd party Evernote app, has been out for some time. It's pretty awesome. Grocery list sorting doesn't get any better than this:

Ā 

http://vimeo.com/69006480

Ā 

... for all else, there's WorkFlowy ;-)

• Like 1

Ā 

Who knows, if CUSTOMERS continue to complain and request this feature, Evernote may someday see the light! ;)

Ā 

This is the lunacy of expressing one's desire for (very reasonable) evernote features here.

Good thing to express it cause that's what forums are about. You might get pain-in-the-ass workarounds which is good, but your job is done in terms of expressing evernotes lack in the area because you'll never get insight from evernote on the matter... as they don't value responding to users about these things.

Dont carry on with the evangelists about it because it usually ends like this.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

This is the lunacy of expressing one's desire for (very reasonable) evernote features here.

Good thing to express it cause that's what forums are about. You might get pain-in-the-ass workarounds which is good, but your job is done in terms of expressing evernotes lack in the area because you'll never get insight from evernote on the matter... as they don't value responding to users about these things.

Dont carry on with the evangelists about it because it usually ends like this.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

It "ends like this" b/c of the way the other person started it.Ā 

Ā 

And quite frankly, I see nothing wrong with my reply.Ā  Former evangelists are free to speak their opinions, just as regular ol' users are.Ā 

• Level 5*

Given that the OS X client is the first to use the new editor and this type of functionality isn't included, my guess would be that it's not going to do so in the short to medium term if it ever does arrive at all..

• Level 5*

Given that the OS X client is the first to use the new editor and this type of functionality isn't included, my guess would be that it's not going to do so in the short to medium term if it ever does arrive at all..

Ā 

I'm not sure the first version of a re-write is a good indicator. Ā I think the main objective was to just reproduce the feature set with new code.

Ā 

Has anyone seen new features in EN Mac 5.6.x?

• Level 5*

Ā 

I'm not sure the first version of a re-write is a good indicator. Ā I think the main objective was to just reproduce the feature set with new code.

Ā 

Has anyone seen new features in EN Mac 5.6.x?

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/62259-evernote-for-mac-56-public-beta-1/

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

@Metrodon: Ā Point taken. Ā A number of new features in Ver 5.6.

Ā 

So, maybe you're right: Ā Doesn't look good for sorting text.

Ā 

Don't really understand this though. Ā I've written web pages (decades ago) that provide dynamic sorting of text.

It's really not that hard.

Sorry to say, but Evernote may have already missed the boat on this one, folks.

Try Trello - more advanced list handling than EN, including internal alphabetical list sorting. The paradigm used is different; it is a graphically-oriented system, using 'cards'. But it's flexible and the list-handling capabilities are far more sophisticated than EN. If what you want is sorted lists, they have it and more. I am still using EN as well for the time being because I am set up there and still learning the new system. Trello is great for organizing projects. Sitting on this list sorting request is not a good idea, guys. The world doesn't wait. (awaiting flames)

• Level 5*

I looked trello, it looks ok and handles lists well. Swings and roundabouts, it's missing tons of things that Evernote does, doesn't have a native app for OS X etc.

Evernote have pretty clearly decided that this functionality isn't something they are going to pursue for the time being so trello is probably a great place to work. Until you want to clip or back up your notes or.....

So why not use both?

• Level 5*

. . . since EN corp. tends to be Mac-centric . . .

Ā 

My observation is that EN is neither Win- nor Mac-centric. Ā Over time, first one platform, then the other, pulls ahead.

I remember that EN Win had several important features, like Left (Vertical) List View, Assign Tags (CTRL-ALT-Z), for quite some time before being implemented in EN Mac. Ā In fact, the Assign Tags feature is still not in EN Mac. Ā And, there are still a number of EN Win options that can be set by Registry changes that are not available to EN Mac.

I've been using EN for several months and have a ton of lists in it. Ā One thing I use it for quite regularly is my shopping list. Ā That works fine on my phone but I now have a Moto 360 smartwatch and, for some crazy reason, the EN app on the watch only syncs 30 items. Ā The workaround seems to be to get the checked items to the top and hope that I have less than 30. Ā  I looked in EN for 10 minutes for a sorting option because it seemed to me"Sort by checked" just had to be in there somewhere....but it wasn't...so now I'm here.

Prior to the 360, I had a Pebble smartwatch and, while a lot slower, it could sync the whole list.

Ā 

Add me to the "small list of users" who thinks that sorting content within a note is a basic feature that's missing from EN.Ā 

• Like 1

Like so many others I have just come up against this limitation of not being able to sort within notes.

Ā 

In my case I went out birdwatching, created a single note to audio record today's sightings and added various few second clips during the course of an hour's birding. Ā Occasionally I lost focus on my 'phone or the note and had to go back to add further sightings - thus they aren't all in chronological order. Ā Now I have a time-stamped set of embedded audio-clips.

Ā 

It seems a bit of a no brainer that I would want these in time order .. but there is no sorting within notes.

Ā 

Add my name to the list - unsorted of course - of people who want sorting available within notes.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

One day someone will write a pipeline toolchain for Evernote notes. Sort filtering - perhaps limited to tables or lists - would be an early candidate for a stage in such a toolchain.

Ā 

(And I don't care if it's Linux (unlikely), Windows (I have it under KVM under Linux) or OSX (I have that too). :-) Or even iOS.)

Ā 

I'd even accept the notion that the output is a NEW note.

• Like 2

I think the "official folks" you're referring to are folk just like you and I who have cared to stick around just a tad longer and kick the ball around a bit.

For long-lived dynamic lists (and just plain long lists... and mega lists), you might want to try WorkFlowy. It's second to none. Once you give it a try, you'll wonder why you ever tried to wangle outlining and the sorts out of Evernote. Let the specialist apps do what they do best.

• Like 2

Bye, Evernote. It was fun while it lasted.

Sorry to gloat, but my fun hasn't ended quite yet. I've learned to diversify. Hence I can make my first love (Evernote) one of my concubines. I hope my wife doesn't show up on this thread.

EDIT: To my defense, I was thinking of a certain Star Trek episode when I wrote the above.

• Level 5

I'm glad OneNote continues to Evolve and hope that puts honest pressure on Evernote.

I happen to pay less monthly for Sharepoint Online with OneNote than Evernote Premium, but they're still different functions for me.

On the sorting thing:

OneNote doesn't appear to sort on iOS which is where I need it.

For that I still use Cloud Outline with bidirectional syncing to Evernote for those notes that need it.

• Like 1

OneNote doesn't do Linux either. But the handwriting part is much easier and better than Evernote's. That's what I need for classes, since I have a disability that requires use of a tablet for note taking. (Wake up, EN. Sorting is a must for many of us. Not so much in need of sarcasm.)

• Level 5*

Couldn't be bothered to read through all of it,Ā  but as @Frank said - best I can tell there were no "official folks" here - any sarcasm you see is a feature (not a bug) of us users, and pretty much goes with the territory.Ā 

Ā 

In general I fully agree with using whatever software you need to get the job done,Ā  and Evernote isn't always the best choice.Ā  If/ when they see it in their best interests to update things,Ā  maybe that will change.

• Like 3

Add me to the list of people who would like to be able to sort the text lines in their notes.

Ā 

It would be nice to be placed at the top of the list of people who had requested this, as I'd be about 66% of the way down if the list of people were sorted... but no fear of that. :-)Ā 

Ā 

I also would love to SORT in Evernote, currently I have a document in Excel and often SORT; is there any way it can be done in Evrernote 100%?

0%

Ā 

Ā 

How are people keeping track of things that need to be sorted in the document? Ā 

Example Movie, Books or any kind of growing Collection? Ā In Excel I can ADD to a list and then a filter on the Title SORT again.

Ā 

Should this be done in Excel 100% of the time and Evernote for everything else? Ā Ā 

post-180552-0-06059600-1434216593_thumb.

One can keep an Excel document in an Evernote note. Either that... Or get with an outliner... of which WorkFlowy is the best.

... Or make your movie titles the note titles. One note for each movie title.... Then sort by Title.

One can keep an Excel document in an Evernote note. Either that... Or get with an outliner... of which WorkFlowy is the best.

Ā 

That's what I am doing now, + linking to a Google Docs version of Excel in the Cloud, so working ok for now.

Ā 

thanks,Ā 

Shane

• Like 1

I came here looking to find how to accomplish a simple list sort in Evernote...and found this on-topic thread (started > 3 years ago). Ā From the timeline, I can surmise:

• many users want this
  • in late 2015, this is considered expected functionality
  • people do not want work-arounds, excuses, multiple products, etc.

Given the lack of progress, I guess it's a like-it or leave-it proposition.

"In this chapter we shall study a topic that arises frequently in programming: the rearrangement of items into ascending or descending order. Imagine how hard it would be to use a dictionary if its words were not alphabetized! We will see that, in a similar way, the order in which items are stored in computer memory often has a profound influence on the speed and simplicity of algorithms that manipulate those items."

Donald E. Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol. 3, Sorting and Searching

I was required to read this when I studied CS @ UCSB. of course we programmed in logical languages, apparently the Evernote crowd must use Brainf***k, making basic programming and algorithm adjustment next to impossible. Oh yes, we used modular programming and OOP (not to be confused with Oops! ) techniques as well, not just willy nilly cut and paste. End of Sarcasm Section >>>>>>

To be expected when reasonable requests are met with disdain and a dismissive, (apparently undeserved) superior attitude.

Totochto...

I was required to read this when I studied CS @ UCSB. of course we programmed in logical languages, apparently the Evernote crowd must use Brainf***k, making basic programming and algorithm adjustment next to impossible. Oh yes, we used modular programming and OOP (not to be confused with Oops! ) techniques as well, not just willy nilly cut and paste. End of Sarcasm Section >>>>>>

Ā 

Ā 

Forget where I read this: "It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others, and to forget his own."

Ā 

Bring on your brainchild and display it for the world to see and touch.

• Like 1

Fine, always glad to help. Since I am not psychic, however, send me a copy of the code, Einstein. Besides, is it the responsibility of users to do the jobs of corporate programmers gratis? Not a very effective capitalist model, I should think. Sorry to repeat myself, but, "This ain't no way to run a business, Homer,"

Totochto...

Fine, always glad to help. Since I am not psychic, however, send me a copy of the code, Einstein. Besides, is it the responsibility of users to do the jobs of corporate programmers gratis? Not a very effective capitalist model, I should think. Sorry to repeat myself, but, "This ain't no way to run a business, Homer,"

Totochto...

• Level 5*

Maybe a little pseudo code on how one would dynamically sort text anywhere, or if not anywhere, the restricted where, within a note.Ā 

Ā 

And since we are quoting, "Opinions about obviousness are to a certain extent a function of time."Ā Ā  ;)

• Like 1

Totochto...

Ā 

I was referring to your own creation, not helping Evernote to fix theirs. Why not produce your own product for others to pick apart and heckle the pants off? I'd like to see it.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

... apparently the Evernote crowd must use Brainf***k ...

Ā 

Ā 

"Criticism doesn't necessarily make one (appear to be) smart(er)" - @Frank.dg

Ā 

"Eating bananas doesn't necessarily make one aware of the existence of potassium." - @Frank.dgĀ 

• Like 1

I couldn't tell you how to mine iron ore, the principles of internal combustion, nor how tires are made. Ā But I know that my Chevrolet ignition was problem-prone and could be better. Ā If being an SME is now a pre-requisite to discuss/request areas of product improvement, the end-result will be that this (and all) product-related forums will be reduced to little more than cheerleading sections.

I couldn't tell you how to mine iron ore, the principles of internal combustion, nor how tires are made. Ā But I know that my Chevrolet ignition was problem-prone and could be better. Ā If being an SME is now a pre-requisite to discuss/request areas of product improvement, the end-result will be that this (and all) product-related forums will be reduced to little more than cheerleading sections.

Ā 

I agree wholeheartedly. Also, keep in mind that this is a user-run forum. We primarily try to troubleshoot and suggest workarounds and help people along their Evernote journey. Our opinions do not determine the course that Evernote takes. Personally I think better text sorting within a note would be awesome. Really. I'm rooting for that. Until that comes on the scene, we'll try to contribute in a positive light.Ā 

Ā 

Disparaging comments as to the "Evernote crowd" as quoted previously (@totochto) do absolutely nothing to further any cause. Just a rant, nothing more. It's always nice to engage in a healthy conversation... and @EmAyArSe, you're totally on the right track. Your comments have likely been noted by Evernote Employees who may or may not choose to comment.Ā 

Ā 

Welcome to the forums! You'll find a lot of constructive and helpful odds and ends here :-)

• Level 5*

All this is much ado about nothing.

Ā 

Sorting of text was one of the first things people wanted, and was implemented, as soon as technology allowed us, the end-user, to store lists of stuff in a file.

Ā 

The technology, the technique, the code, to sort text is "old as dirt" in the computing world.

IMO, it is inexcusable for any app that support text data in a note/file/container to not support sorting of selected lines.

Ā 

I really don't know why anyone would object to this very basic request.

• Level 5*

I'm not sure anyone is actually objecting to the request. What people are doing is providing viable alternatives that work today. Given that there is no indication as to whether or not Evernote will ever provide this functionality then I think it makes sense for people to choose an application that gives them what they need right now. So, if you really need outlining then Evernote is not the app, or certainly not the only app you are going to need.

Ā 

Making all kinds of judgements about the intelligence and skill set of the Evernote group of employees based on the application that they have decided to bring to market makes more of a comment on the poster than on the organisation IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Can't find the reference,Ā  but I do remember a post by one Employee about much-requested missing features - along the lines of "some stuff we can do immediately,Ā  because it's just extra code;Ā  other things need a fundamental rewrite because the mechanism to provide that feature just doesn't exist,Ā  and we'd need to replace whole blocks of code - which already links to other features - to add it.Ā  That requires serious resource,Ā  risk assessment and planning.Ā  The easy stuff we can do quickly,Ā  the more complicated stuff takes a lot longer."

Ā 

- Evidence the recent Editor updates that hit after some years' development - which by-the-by might have been necessary before extra bells and whistles like sorting could be added...Ā 

Ā 

(That's my recollection not their words so I apologise for any misinterpretations!)

Ā 

Like @Metrodon says - I'm not 'against' sorting,Ā  and I'll definitely use it if/ when it's available.Ā  But it's not currently possible;Ā  so I do the 'use another app' dance when I need to sort.Ā  It's a pain,Ā  but that's the way the world currently works.Ā  Evernote will fix it when they're ready to do so.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Evernote has made a big deal about the new editor they are implementing across the board.

This would be a good opportunity to provide the basic feature of sorting.

Ā 

All of the other Mac apps I have that deal with text offer sorting, even the free app TextWrangler.

It's not rocket science -- it's not even bottle-rocket science. Ā LOL

Spot on. The implementation of a new editor would be precisely the opportunity to add new or even ancient capabilities that are much requested. Sorry for recent lashings out, but the lag over adding one of the oldest file/list features is incredibly frustrating. Of course there are workarounds. One could always throw away the computer and use 3x5 cards in place of Evernote, but in the absence of a post-apocalyptic dystopia, why?

• Level 5*

I don't understand why it's so hard to accept that Evernote have their own agenda and will get around to stuff in their own good time.Ā  Not doing something doesn't mean they don't know how to do it,Ā  or are deliberately being obstructive.Ā  It's common business sense to get rid of the small easy stuff and carefully plan for the harder jobs.Ā  Meantime no one's suggesting we have to break out the candles and start building log fires,Ā  just - if plan A isn't working,Ā  try plan B.Ā  My days usually end up around plan Z anyways...Ā  ;)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I don't understand why some people (who are not Evernote employees) feel compelled to continually put up a defense for Evernote for not doing things.

Ā 

I see nothing wrong with users who have a strong need for a feature to continue to push for it.

I don't know how it is in the rest of the world, but here in the US we don't give up easily. Ā When people feel passionate about making changes, they will continue to advocate for it.

Ā 

An old adage rings true: Ā "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."

• Like 1

They (Evernote) are in business, correct? Customers do matter, I hope. In the traditional American business model, the company providing the best product, service, etc. prevails over time. The trail is littered with the carcasses of dead corporations. A quick Google survey reveals the level of discontent with Evernote unresponsiveness to customer needs. Yes, many customers still sing the the Evernote paean, but often with an "if only Evernote would listen and provide us with sorting." after their praise.

• Like 1

Is possible on the Macintosh with the help of a Services Menu plugin.

1. Download the WordService.service from Devon Technologies (free). CalcService is also recommended. Also available on MacupdateĀ 
  2. Install the Service item into ~/Library/Services (Library may be invisible, and you may need to create Services folder) To show the Library folder, in Finder, hold down the Option key, and choose Go from the Finder Menu Bar and you'll see Library in the list.
  3. Open System Preferences and make sure the Sort Lines Ascending item is enabled (see attached)
  4. Log out.
  5. Log in and open Evernote. Make a list of items that you want to sort.
  6. Select the items in Evernote, the open Evernote's Services menu and choose Sort Lines Ascending (see attached)

Screen-Shot-2016-02-15-at-2.50.59-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2016-02-15-at-3.03.26-PM.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 minutes ago, scttdb said:

Open System Preferences and make sure the Sort Lines Ascending item is enabled (see attached)

Thanks for sharing.

You might want to set a different shortcut than the one shown. Ā CMD+SHIFT+A is used in EN Mac to set the Note List to All Notes.

On 11/5/2015 at 9:50 AM, JMichaelTX said:

I don't know how it is in the rest of the world, but here in the US we don't give up easily.

Ummm...Ā We all know that people are the same wherever we go...Ā We learn to live, we learn to give, etc, etc.

On 2012-02-13 (Mon) at 10:54 PM, Howard Hill said:

Evernote doesn't support sorting of the text within a note (alphabetically) and I think this would be a great feature to have.

Howard

As we have found from this thread, EN is not interested in this issue. It's quite ridiculous, IMO, that they would not incorporate this very basic feature into their product.

Anyway, as scttdb mentioned (page 8), it is possible to install the set of OS X Services very kindly made available by Devon Technologies for managing text. As an alternative, for those who prefer to "roll their own", I suggest a simple Automator action be created:

1) Launch Automator, create a new Service, and tell it toĀ get text (from any app) and allow the action to replace that text

2) send the text to a shell script and invoke the "sort" command

3) save the action as a Service and you're done!

Then simply right-click on a selected section of text and select your new Service action. It works well for me, although <caveat emptor!> it will strip your lists of checkboxes, etc, so I advise the use of this on plain lists of items only. Still, it's effective and simple, and the great thing is itĀ allows you to use your action in any other text app on your Mac as well!

For in-depth instructions, pleaseĀ go to Mac OS Automation's excellent article on creating a sorting service in OS X.

Also, much thanks to frank.dg "The Mischief Maker" for suggesting WorkFlowy. I am going to enjoy using that in the future!

• Level 5*
On 11/11/2016 at 9:35 PM, TIddly27 said:

There used to be a vote at the top that you think this is important.

I do not see it here. Ā Is that no longer available in the forums?

Some more recent posts in Feedback forums have a voting button.Ā  This is an old thread into 8 pages + at this stage,Ā  which AFAIK never had that voting option.Ā  It's an ongoing general discussion to which we already know the end answer - Evernote will add this feature if and when they're ready to do so.Ā  If you'd like to start a thread in the Feedback Forum to gather votes and promote this further,Ā  I'm sure you'll attract some support...

I have started a new topic in Product Ideas. Ā If you would like to have sort as a feature, go to the link and vote in the upper left hand area. Ā There is an up or down arrow to cast your vote.

Have a GREAT day!

Rick

Ā 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 5/16/2018 at 8:48 PM, jasecutler said:

Has EN produced a fix for this yet? The above fix provided byĀ scttdbĀ no longer works.Ā 

Evernote has not implemented a text sortĀ feature.

I use the WordService add-on with my Mac

On 5/18/2018 at 7:56 AM, DTLow said:

Evernote has not implemented a text sortĀ feature.

I use the WordService add-onļ»æ with my Mac

It's odd, I tried that method, adhering to those instructions and I haven't been successful. Any ideas why?

Ā 

Ā 

Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 1.00.18 am.png

• Level 5*
23 minutes ago, jasecutler said:

It's odd, I tried that method, adhering to those instructions and I haven't been successful. Any ideas why?

Note; youĀ have to select text before you can apply the service.

You seem to be a little lean on the available Services.666262731_ScreenShot2018-05-20at08_06_49.png.be5383f9d8eecb4af5849422e80b7232.png
Just wondering what'sĀ enabled in Apple > Preferences

• Level 5

Wow, what a thread ... if I put everything together, it might easily exceed the code needed to implement the beast.

In my opinion, any user may wish what he wants. In the end this drives innovation as much as other sources like technology, competition etc.

That it may be difficult to implement sorting in the way EN is treating text, just makes implementation less likely / more costly, but does not change the innovative impulse.

So why does not any of those in that-level-that-canĀ move this issue to the voting section, where it can collect support(ers) ?

P.S. For me, sorting text inside of EN is not an issue, but I understand that it may be one for others, with different use cases.

On 7/26/2020 at 2:00 PM, DTLow said:

I merged your post with an existing discussion Ā  Ā Ā 
To indicate your support for this request, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion Ā Ā 
The request has 3 votes

Been an EN paid user for years, but first time on the forum. I've wanted to sort for a very long time, found this post by googling. I would never have known that support for a feature had to be indicated by finding the feature request then clicking the arrow. I submit for your consideration that that is a very narrow way to find if your user base wants a feature. I created an account just to show my support for a feature.Ā 

• Like 1