(Archived) Evaluating EverNote - Color Highlight tool, more levels?

svtdoug

Hi All,

I have been using 2007 OneNote for a while and mostly love it, but I need to have access to my notes from the web and from my Android phone. I can either upgrade to 2010 OneNote, or try something new. I am currently evaluating Evernote and it seems to do a lot of what I need. But...there are a couple of features that seem to be missing, or I am missing them.

Color text highlight tool? This is a basic text editing feature that is even available in Google Docs, but I can't seem to find it in Evernote for Windows or on the web. This is a feature that I use all the time to highlight text for various reasons. Am I missing something? BTW, I can copy and paste text in from Word and it retains and displays the color highlighing... For me, this is a must have.

More Levels? OneNote has 5 different levels of organizations - at least. So far I have figured out 3 of them in Evernote. Initially I only found two levels, but hunting around I uncovered the not so intuitive or obvious Stacks - so that gives me 3 levels - Stacks, Notebooks and Notes.. Are there any other levels lurking around that I have not found?

BTW, Stacks really should be more obvious! Its not well documented and fairly well hidden in the GUI, and the only reason I found it was by reading posts in this forum. Seems like it was an afterthought in the design process.

One other thing that seems a bit quirky - when I try to copy and paste formated text (different fonts, bold, color highlighting) from OneNote, it either pastes it as an image which can not be edited, or as text - whereby you loose all the formatting! FYI, I can copy and paste from OneNote to Word or Google Docs without loosing any of the formatting.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Doug

• Level 5*
Color text highlight tool? This is a basic text editing feature that is even available in Google Docs, but I can't seem to find it in Evernote for Windows or on the web. This is a feature that I use all the time to highlight text for various reasons. Am I missing something? BTW, I can copy and paste text in from Word and it retains and displays the color highlighing... For me, this is a must have.

Does not exist in the Windows client. Much asked for. Does exist in one of the "iClients" (iPad, maybe?) and I expect it will make it everywhere eventually. There are workarounds, but none of them particularly convenient.

More Levels? OneNote has 5 different levels of organizations - at least. So far I have figured out 3 of them in Evernote. Initially I only found two levels, but hunting around I uncovered the not so intuitive or obvious Stacks - so that gives me 3 levels - Stacks, Notebooks and Notes.. Are there any other levels lurking around that I have not found?

Tags are the main way to organize your notes. In many ways they are way more flexible than hierarchical storage systems, allowing you to index your notes in many different ways.

BTW, Stacks really should be more obvious! Its not well documented and fairly well hidden in the GUI, and the only reason I found it was by reading posts in this forum. Seems like it was an afterthought in the design process.

I believe that the idea for how stacks should work came out of one if the iClients again. This was added mainly for purposes of organizing your notebooks physically, but you can also search a stack of notebooks.

One other thing that seems a bit quirky - when I try to copy and paste formated text (different fonts, bold, color highlighting) from OneNote, it either pastes it as an image which can not be edited, or as text - whereby you loose all the formatting! FYI, I can copy and paste from OneNote to Word or Google Docs without loosing any of the formatting.

There are still quirks in some of the formatting. Post specific examples to help the developers root out corner cases.

• Level 5*

Hi All,

I have been using 2007 OneNote for a while and mostly love it, but I need to have access to my notes from the web and from my Android phone. I can either upgrade to 2010 OneNote, or try something new. I am currently evaluating Evernote and it seems to do a lot of what I need. But...there are a couple of features that seem to be missing, or I am missing them.

onenote is developing more mobile stuff. you might want to check that out as well. i have not heard good reviews of the android and ios apps, though.

i have highlighting in yellow on the ipad. i don't think it is available on the mac yet. i am sure it is coming.

i have a single notebook and no stacks or hierarchy. i think this is a little extreme, and most people use a mix of notebooks and tags. if you are really into hierarchical organization (i was, once upon a time), then evernote probably isn't for you. if you are willing to try out the notebooks and tag system, especially if you are willing to learn a few search techniques to filter things, then you might actually find you don't want hierarchies anymore.

i am sure there is a way around this. contact evernote support to see how best to migrate into evernote.

here is some guidance, though it seems like this person had no trouble with formatting.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/22917/import-onenote-2010-notebooks-into-evernote/

Does not exist in the Windows client. Much asked for. Does exist in one of the "iClients" (iPad, maybe?) and I expect it will make it everywhere eventually. There are workarounds, but none of them particularly convenient.

Ok, understand, color highlighting is not available on Windows or online. Oh well, it was promissing. Back to OneNote I go. Good luck with your product.

Doug

• Level 5*

I believe that the idea for how stacks should work came out of one if the iClients again. This was added mainly for purposes of organizing your notebooks physically, but you can also search a stack of notebooks.

Not that it matters that much, but Stacks were first released on EN Mac in response to requests for Subnotebooks.

Stacks were then released on EN Win.

The release on EN iOS is very recent, and not done very well (they are not collapsible).

• 10 months later...

FWIW, I found a (somewhat clumsy) workaround to the problem of pasting in from OneNote and the result is an image instead of text. If you open an empty Word file, then paste from OneNote to Word, then re-select, copy and paste into Evernote, it keeps the formatting. It even seems to keep the highlighting, which is a bit frustrating because I too would like to add highlighting. Seems like the capability is there (I'm looking right at highlighted text). Only thing missing is the formatting tool.

Archived