Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Mac

QUESTION: Does Evernote slow down with more notes?

efficiency evernote

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 peterfmartin

peterfmartin

• Title: Hard to say
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 970 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

Yeah, the issue isn't how fast notes appear; it's whether and for how long the search box freezes or lags. For me, on most searches, that's a few seconds.
Using Mac version 3.2.0 beta 1 on OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard), web occasionally, and Chrome clipper (and Windows once upon a time).

Information and help: Getting Started | Knowledge Base (note: often wrong or outdated) | Evernote Support for customer support

#22 DrSkippy27

DrSkippy27

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:51 AM

I would love to see a configuration check box for turning off search-as-you-type--irritating "feature."

#23 DjBea

DjBea

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:32 AM

I have not far from 5000 notes. I use on 3 computers. Synchronisation take more and mor times. I bought faster computer for better using evernote (i call everslow)...
I think there are lots of optimizations to do.

#24 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • 10,180 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

I have 6700 notes. Syncing doesn't take long at all for me. However, I had trouble with a database and had to re-download all of my notes. It took two days (nearly three) for me to download them. I think this could definitely be improved. The same amount of data only takes a few minutes to download from other sites.

#25 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Explorer
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:50 AM

I have 6700 notes. Syncing doesn't take long at all for me. However, I had trouble with a database and had to re-download all of my notes. It took two days (nearly three) for me to download them. I think this could definitely be improved. The same amount of data only takes a few minutes to download from other sites.

Whether or not syncing is a problem, or takes a long time, depends on how many, and what size, notes need to be sync'd.
GM, in your case, syncing of all of your notes (6700) is a problem because of the excessive time it took. Just to be clear, what you described as "downloading" is syncing. :)

I had a case where I needed to sync 300 Notes on my EN Win. This took 15 minutes, way too long. Normally (previously), sync of this number of notes would be done in a few seconds.

#26 learned

learned

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:28 AM

I currently have between 11,000 and 12,000 notes. I used to have close to 20,000 but have been forced into archiving many of them as Evernote was slowing to a crawl. It's not so much the mac version, though that's been subject to it, but the IOS versions that suffer most, including frequent crashes. I've also taken to a multiple notebook approach and try to keep each notebook well under 1000 notes. I'm slowly building my notes back up again, but following the new multi-notebook rule for me (one for each year, as well as the general topic ones like recipes. I might have to start breaking those down as well.

I agree about an option on the instant search, I too would love to turn it off as I hate when it freezes.

#27 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • 10,180 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:46 AM

I currently have between 11,000 and 12,000 notes. I used to have close to 20,000 but have been forced into archiving many of them as Evernote was slowing to a crawl. It's not so much the mac version, though that's been subject to it, but the IOS versions that suffer most, including frequent crashes. I've also taken to a multiple notebook approach and try to keep each notebook well under 1000 notes. I'm slowly building my notes back up again, but following the new multi-notebook rule for me (one for each year, as well as the general topic ones like recipes. I might have to start breaking those down as well.

I agree about an option on the instant search, I too would love to turn it off as I hate when it freezes.

Oh. That sounds bad. Do you think it was the number of notes causing the problems in iOS? I sure hope not, because I am well on my way there :(

#28 learned

learned

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

That seems to be the key factor. I've had much better luck since dividing my notebook into smaller ones. The other factor is I had several VERY long notes which I've moved back out. It seems to be happier with shorter notes rather than ones that are several pages.

#29 jpfieber

jpfieber

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:54 PM

I've got just over 50,000 notes (used applescript to import lots of back emails, paid $20 for the extra EN bandwidth to do it). I use EN on Mac/PC/iOS/Android and web. Lately EN has become virtually unusable on the mobile devices. The Mac client has become very bogged down, seeing the spinning beach ball often. Was excited to have one place to have everything, especially since I'd be able to access it from any of my devices. Now I'm loosing faith, doesn't seem like EN scales so well. I'll try breaking some of my large notebooks down into smaller ones, but accessing even small notebooks on mobile has been an effort in futility due to freezing up. Currently moving 2000 notes from a 26000 note notebook to a new one is taking a second per note on the Mac client (unacceptably slow).

Funny, with the motto "Remember Everything" I didn't expect this. Perhaps changing it to "Remember 100,000 things" would be more appropriate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)
Clip to Evernote