Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Other

import

hello

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mrbrim

mrbrim

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:17 AM

It would be great if there were an option to get or be able to take my contacts from phone (or even better) outlook and import into Hello

#2 Metrodon

Metrodon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Bankrobber
  • 4789 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:41 AM

With the latest version you can import contacts from your phone - if you want to get them from Outlook then you need to get them sync'd with your phone first.

#3 mrbrim

mrbrim

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

really? I see that I can do 1 at a time, but not all of them.

#4 mcheng

mcheng

• Title: Browncoat
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 382 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:53 PM

The vision for Hello is to help you remember the people that you meet. The problems with contacts is that you have no context for where you met the person, or when. Doing a mass import from your contacts into Hello doesn't help you remember any of those people any better than what you have with your address book today.

The idea behind just adding one at a time is that you choose who you want to remember with Hello. We let the address book do its job being the
database. For those people you really feel are important, you enhance your memories of them by bringing them into Hello and tracking your encounters with them in Hello.

Check out our Knowledgebase or the Getting Started Guide. View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows. Still need help? Submit a support request.

#5 s2sailor

s2sailor

• PipPipPipPip
  • Title: Shepherd
  • 198 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

Doing a mass import from your contacts into Hello doesn't help you remember any of those people any better than what you have with your address book today.

True, these are people already met, but many of them may be ones that we want to have in Hello to add new encounters. A way to multi-select contacts and import them all at once would be handy.

#6 mrbrim

mrbrim

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:24 PM

It would help so when I want to email someone from Evernote...I can go to the Notebook where my Hello contacts are and find them.....

#7 mcheng

mcheng

• 382 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

Hi mrbrim, s2sailor

Point taken. We'll look into this.

However I would caution you against using Hello as an address book. While it gives you someone's contact information to allow you to easily reach the person, it doesn't integrate with Gmail or any other mail clients directly. For example, you shouldn't expect to be able to compose email in Mac Mail.app or Outlook and have the information pulled directly from Hello. This is what address book and other contact databases are good at, managing all the detailed integration with the phone dialer and mail apps on your device or your desktop.

Think of Hello as an enhancement to your address book , one that helps you remember who the person is, how often you've met them and all the context around your meetings. Today you can manually save information from Hello to your address book and over time it will become more smoother and easier. This will give you the benefits of both Hello and address book - Hello serves as your memory of the people that you meet and address book serves as the database that integrates nicely with your other apps so that you can communicate with them effectively.

Check out our Knowledgebase or the Getting Started Guide. View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows. Still need help? Submit a support request.

#8 wickeninc

wickeninc

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:40 AM

Hi mcheng, I just signed up for Evernote Hello and started using tonight. In the previous post you address the points I was curious about when using Evernote Hello. I do understand the benefits of Hello and a separate address book but bottom line I want whomever I enter into Hello to somehow be easily moved or updated in my address book. Now especially that Siri is part of my iPhone I need contacts that I would use in my address book I also need the contacts to be in my address book for auto-populated email address, etc or I just won't use Hello. If this capability could be integrated then I can see Hello being ideal for my uses.

I love technology but also find I don't have time or interest in manually porting over info into my address book which I use everyday on my iPhone, iPad and computer.

Let me know if some way of syncing or re-importing to my address book comes available. Overall great job on the Evernote suite of products!

#9 mcheng

mcheng

• 382 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:25 PM

Hi Wickennic,

You bring up good points and hopefully what's in development now will address most if not all of them. If you have any suggestions as to how you would prefer to interact with Hello and Address book please let us know. For example and obvious case is adding whomever you meet in Hello to your address book. What about the other way around, how about if you change some information, say a name or some contact info. How do you want that reflected in Hello or do you want to have it reflected? Do you see Hello and your address book as separate things or the same?

#10 bookinfoizit

bookinfoizit

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:49 PM

I would like an 'import all' option as well. Won't do me any good till we can get that going at least.

#11 Fábio Fetter

Fábio Fetter

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

Hello, 

I think a massive import should be nice and useful, in my opinion.

Besides it, I've imported a contact. So, I tried to connect it to the contact facebook account. But, the search is looking for the contact name in all facebook database and return to many results. It could be cleaver if it starts to find it on my contacts first. After that, it could try to relate the contact in my phone with the facebook contact through other parameters, like phone, email, location. In this fashion, it's going to return a well filtered list. At end, if you can't find the contact, should be possible to enter the profile address directly.

Hope to be useful,

Fábio 

#12 webcommuner

webcommuner

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:15 AM

Is it possible to import into Hello from Google Contacts, and from Outlook Contacts

I have many 'notes' with contacts which remind me of context / time / person / place where I made the contacts, so being able to bring in such catch all field as 'notes' from outlook, and google contacts would make hello much more relevant to my intended use

#13 Don Sakers

Don Sakers

• PipPipPip
  • Title: Bushwhacker
  • 136 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 06:41 PM

I might be missing something here, or maybe this will be helpful.

When adding someone to Hello, one of the choices is Type it in. That screen has a further option for Add from contacts. Using this option, I can select anyone who's in my contacts list, whether or not they've ever been in Hello before.

Then, Hello imports that person's information from the contacts list.

In effect, it's as if all your contacts are already "in" Hello, just waiting for you to assign a meeting date/time/place to them. It's all the benefits of "import all" except throwing the contacts into the Evernote notebook that Hello uses.

--------------- Don Sakers ------------------
author of Dance for the Ivory Madonna, Curse of the Zwilling, The SF Book of Days
book reviewer, Analog Science Fiction & Fact
don@meerkatmeade.com | Twitter: meerkatdon | scatteredworlds.com | www.meerkatmeade.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: other, hello

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 人のメンバー, 0 人のゲスト, 0 人の匿名ユーザ

Clip to Evernote