(Archived) sharing / multiple users with update capability

hostricity

As I understand it, only the owner of a notebook can update a shared notebook.

We have a requirement for 4 or 5 people to share information - A single place to communicate instead of using email and texting.

Is it possible to have multiple userids on the same account, so everyone owns everything?

If not, would EN be able to handle 3 or 4 users on different devices using the same userid and password - sometimes simultaneously?

Also, is there a way to set up notifications so that when something gets updated, your phone will ding, as it does when you receive a text?

• Level 5

There have been several posts indicating the conflict problems of multiple users accessing the same note at the same time.

I think it was gazumped that posted a nice summary, but the Evernote forum search is not being my friend right now.

Here's the deal:

I am running a political campaign for someone running for judge. There's me, the candidate, and two more people in the inner circle. Right now we communicate by emails copied to everyone and text messages copied to everyone.

I'm looking for a single communication tool that everyone can use which will run on Windows desktop, Android, Blackberry, and iPhone.

Since it appears EN won't work for this, if anyone knows of a tool that will do this, I'd be greatly interested to know about it.

I do think some basic ability to collaborate would be very useful in EN.

• Level 5*

You may want to look elsewhere for collaboration software.

I don't think Evernote sharing is ready for mission critical collaboration:

1. It's really was added as an after-thought to support personal sharing
  2. EN does NOT provide any type of notifications when notes are added/changed
  3. There is very limited control over permissions: It's either read-only or everything (including delete)
  4. There is no way to determined who created/edited the note
  5. Numerious sync/conflict issues have been reported

I'm looking for a single communication tool that everyone can use which will run on Windows desktop, Android, Blackberry, and iPhone.

Nothing that I am aware of, other than email, which securely provides threaded communication on all the devices you mentioned.

• Level 5*

Take a look at Confluence from Atlassian, it is a web based wiki and so available from any device with a browser. They offer it hosted or you can do it yourself. From memory it's very cheap for small teams.

People trying to use the current incarnation of Evernote for any sort of complex collaboration (anything more than sharing data) are in my opinion using the wrong tool.

• Level 5*

Take a look at Confluence from Atlassian, it is a web based wiki and so available from any device with a browser. They offer it hosted or you can do it yourself. From memory it's very cheap for small teams.

Wow! Based on the overview video this looks like a great tool! Something that my teams can use.

Thanks for the suggestion, Metrodon.

• Level 5*

No problem, I think it's a very good application. We use it internally and also have a number of instances that we share with clients so we can collaborate during projects. We've found so many good fits for Atlassian software that we became a reseller - PM if you want to buy and I'll get you a discount :)

Obviously I'm a huge fan of Evernote, but there is no way that is ready for commercial collaboration. I'm not sure that Evernote really want it to be and as a user, I'm not all that sure that I want them to go that way either.

• Level 5*

No problem, I think it's a very good application. We use it internally and also have a number of instances that we share with clients so we can collaborate during projects.

The only downside I can see so far with Confluence is that, since it is an online tool, there is obviously no access when you have no internet access.

Lots of travelers use their time in flight to catch up with their electronic documentation (email, task status, etc).

Have you guys found a good work-around to this downside?

After I started this thread, I realized that what I'm really looking for is something that unifies SMS and email.

Some are texting, some are emailing, and some use both.

So, now I realize that what I'm looking for is something that will unify email and text so that I can look at one message list, and then reply or send to both email and text users at the same time, which has the ease of use of email clients or texting, and is available on all the platforms.

Using email would be fine - if there's a way to send to both texters and emailers at the same time.

You can send a SMS text msg using email, you just have to know the recipients cell number and providers domain.

For example:

1231231234@txt.att.net

Yes, you can text to email and also email to text. The only problem I see is that if you email to text, you have to know the cellphone's carrier.

I should have said, I'd like to be able to use a single interface rather than having to use both a text and an email interface.

• 10 months later...

I love Evernote and I'm sure that the additional business-related functions will be useful to many, but as an alternative to Evernote Business, I'm using Dropbox (same ID/PASSWORD on all computers) for sharing and Hojoki on my mobile devices to tell me when updates occur. Dropbox, like Evernote, was not designed for collaboration, and multiple copies will be created if more than one person is using a file. Temporarily changing a file name to "IN USE - File Name" has been suggested as a solution (http://lifehacker.com/5792938/how-to-use-dropbox-as-a-killer-collaborative-work-tool). Google Docs is also an option.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

I thought Evernote Business (which i signed up for expressly for this purpose) had a sharing and mulitple user updating capability. But we got error reports. Please can someone respond soonest.

Um, if you want technical support, then you need to open a support request; see the link in my signature. This is a user forum.

I thought Evernote Business (which i signed up for expressly for this purpose) had a sharing and mulitple user updating capability. But we got error reports. Please can someone respond soonest.

Hi Kim,

You need to send a report as soon as possible via your business link.

It might also be worth starting a new thread in the business section detailing exactly what is happening. It is difficult from your description to decide if you have a fault or are trying to use Business Evernote outside of its given parameters.

Best regards

Chris

Archived