Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

Need new layout option for portrait displays

layout evernote

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ric

ric

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

I often put my desktop displays in portrait mode which is convenient for a lot of the work I do. I like the snippet layout for Evernote. However, on a portrait display, this gives me 3 tall and thin columns: sidebar, snippets, preview. The tall, thin preview column isn't very useful.

It would be helpful if you could change the layout so the snippet and preview windows were stacked vertically, snippet on top, preview on bottom.

#2 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Explorer
  • 2,380 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

Yeah, what we really need is the option to set the location of the Note Panel: Right, Bottom, Off
This is how Outlook handles it and it allows everyone to configure the display according to their needs.

There are many other requests to have the Note List View be in a vertical panel (like the Snippet view) to the left of the Note panel.
An option to set the location of the Note panel would satisfiy this request as well.

#3 ric

ric

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

Agreed. I use Thunderbird for email and like Outlook, it has an option to select location of preview window so I can adjust for portrait and landscape display as needed.

#4 ric

ric

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

In fact, even Gmail's webmail has this option! Surely Evernote doesn't want to be outdone by Google!

#5 DanielJSJ

DanielJSJ

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

Yes please.

The human eye can read text
from narrow columns faster
than it can read text from wide
coumns. That's because the eye
sees like a shotgun; you see not
only the line of text your reading,
but the text above and below it.

If the columns are narrow, then those words are relevant context for the words your currently reading. What you see above is what you just read, and what you see below is what you are about to read. But when the columns are really wide, this is not the case; what's above is what you read long ago and what's below won't be read for quite some time, making them effectively "jibberish".

Part of the advantage of a narrower column
is that the eye can set a quick simple rhythm
of movement as it reads. The eye reads in
jumps, taking in information when its focus
is still, not moving. The "jumping" rhythm is
an important readability factor. "Right, Right,
Down and Back" is a much more sustainable
rhythm than "Right, Right, Right, Right, Right,
Right, Right, Right, Down and Back". It also
is easier to find the next line that way.

Now don't get me wrong, of course
there are many advantages to having
access to a wide view.

But especially for people whose modern
monitors are very widescreen, there's plenty
of room to expand a note panel to the side
right, but not much room to expand it below.

I would just make my whole
evernote window narrower
and portrait-shaped, but then
I can't see much metadata for
each note in the Note List.

Also to add to the list of other people who use vertical viewing panels is Windows Explorer; you can turn on a preview pane and it's on the right in a tight, resizeable, readable column. This is important to note as really, your biggest competitor is probably Windows Explorer. ALSO one of the more popular mac Finder layouts is a series of vertical navigation columns (though I don't know if it can preview in the right panel). Point being, there are a number of arenas in which "vertical is the way to go".

So I resonate deeply with the other commenters here,
primarily on the basis of readability.

Thank you for your consideration and for the wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful product that is evernote.

Peace,

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, layout, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote