Save to Evernote from MS Word

Harv

Hi!

I was wondering, is there a way to integrate Evernote with MS Word (like it is done in MS Outlook). One button exporting to Evernote? It would make my life a lot easier :)

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Level 5*

no. that functionality does not exist.

more importantly, it is probably not a very good idea, because evernote (as far as i know) does not include the content of ms word documents in search results.

and, more broadly speaking, evernote is really best for completed projects (in the case of proprietary formats) and isn't meant to be like dropbox or other backup services that provide you a space where you can make as many updates as possible to a file. in evernote, each change to the document requires it to be re-uploaded, and this eats into your monthly upload allowance. evernote as it is currently structured aims to help you remember everything, and isn't focused on helping you create or edit those memories.

• Level 5

As GM pointed out, EN is designed to keep your records in a safe and accessible place. If you have a need for constant updating/changing documents outside EN, then other applications are better suited for you, i.e. Dropbox etc.

Wern

I was wondering, is there a way to integrate Evernote with MS Word (like it is done in MS Outlook). One button exporting to Evernote? It would make my life a lot easier :)

As has been pointed out above, no, this is not possible & probably not going to happen soon, if ever. I normally prefer to not keep regularly updated docs in Evernote for a couple of reasons. One being that, as also pointed out above, it can chew into your upload amount, if the doc is very large. Second:

In the past, I've had this issue if I left the Word or Excel document open for a long time, IE several hours., while changing it If I'd just open it, quickly make my changes, save & exit, it was fine. Admittedly, I've avoided leaving EN embedded docs open for several hours while changing them, for this reason, so I can't say I've encountered this in the past ~18 months.

EDIT: I can't confirm this is still the case b/c I don't leave docs embedded in EN open very long. I will try this again, sometime, to see if the issue remains.

I've not yet taken the time to retest to see if the issue still remains. Hopefully this week.

Anyway, what I will do, once I'm done with the document is either copy/paste the text into an Evernote or print it to PDF that is dumped into Evernote. I'll then add the orginal Word/Excel/PUB file as a backup (assuming it is under the note size limit.) I also keep the original file on my hard drive b/c I'm a big believer in redundancy. :)

And who said I want to use it for a frequently edited file? :) Sadly for some part of reporting or getting a approving decision from my VP I have to prepare memos that I hand out to him in paper and then archive. So it would be easier for me to click a export to Evernote button just like in NitroPDF. But no problem i just put together a "send to" menu shortcut for sending files to Evernote and it seems to get the job done :) Thanks for all your input :)

• Level 5*

I assumed you wanted to change the content. Sorry about that. Remember, the content won't be indexed by Evernote, so you may want to copy paste the text into a note, or put a pdf version of it into evernote as well.

Remember, the content won't be indexed by Evernote, so you may want to copy paste the text into a note, or put a pdf version of it into evernote as well.

Oh thx! I didn't knew that. That is a valuable info. Will do :)

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Although people have said you can't just upload a Word document to Evernote, I've just done it. From inside the documents library:

1. click on the document
  2. right click
  3. choose "Send to" then select Evernote.

Done.

I don't think anyone said you can't add a Word document to a note. What they have said is Word docs are stored as attachments & therefore not indexed & that if/when you modify the original residing on your hard drive, it will not be synced to the original note attachment in Evernote. My point also noted that although you can double click the Word attachment in an Evernote note & that will invoke Word & open the doc for editing, that IME, if you leave the document open for a long time, say several hours, and are changing it throughout the day, that the latest version is not always added back to the Evernote note. But (as I also noted above), that may have been resolved.

• 3 weeks later...

Take a look at the Add in named XL Clipper.

Allows you to send Office files (word docs, spreadsheets) and any other file type direct to your evernote account via an icon placed on your MS Excel toolbar/ribbon.

I know its named XL Clipper but it works for word files also.

http://yeldellscient...sandAddins.aspx

As stated above, the XL Clipper addin tool does indeed allow for this. A recent update was made to the tool that allows users to select up tp 4 files that they want to "import" to Evernote. These files can be MS Word docs, Excel Files, Notepad files, etc....The Xl Clipper tool will then automatically grab the content that exists within each of the files and send to your Evernote account as indexable text within a note.

The Xl Clipper Addin is launched from within MS Excel Toolbar.

xlclipnew01.JPG

xlclipnew02.JPG

xlclipnew03.JPG

xlclipnew04.JPG

xlclipnew05.JPG

Apologies for not formally introducing.

Yes I am a developer for a software company that creates MS Office-driven Addins.

XL Clipper is one of our addins (it just so happens that you launch the macro from Excel 2007/2010)

More information can be seen at the following link:

http://store.payloadz.com/details/1338694-Software-Add-Ons-and-Plug-ins-XLCLIPPERv1.3SendspreadsheetsandofficedocstoyourEvernoteaccountfromExceltoolbar.html

Apologies for not formally introducing.

Yes I am a developer for a software company that creates MS Office-driven Addins.

XL Clipper is one of our addins (it just so happens that you launch the macro from Excel 2007/2010)

More information can be seen at the following link:

http://store.payloadz.com/details/1338694-Software-Add-Ons-and-Plug-ins-XLCLIPPERv1.3SendspreadsheetsandofficedocstoyourEvernoteaccountfromExceltoolbar.html

Thank you. It's generally considered good to add the disclaimer, when promoting your software. Otherwise, it looks as though the poster is trying to appear to be simply a satisfied user & come across as, well, sneaky may be a good word. Although I'd hope you're a satisfied user of your software, I'm sure you can understand the difference between one who has something to gain from promoting the product and one who does not. ;-)

• 1 month later...

Based on these comments, it seems that EN will not be useful for my primary objective which is as a tool to develop my writing. I want to be able to capture ideas wherever and whenever, they occur and then role them into my finished documents which will commonly be in MS Word or Open Office Word format. This means that, as an article or story evolves, I would like to be able to access it using EN. Based on this discussion, it sounds like I may be better off using Google+ Docs to record my work in the Google cloud. I Guess that what I really want to do is seamlessly integrate Google+ and EN. Any ideas about the best way(s) to do this? I'm sure this is not a unique idea or request.

• 1 year later...

Although people have said you can't just upload a Word document to Evernote, I've just done it. From inside the documents library:

• click on the document
  • right click
  • choose "Send to" then select Evernote.
Done.

I don't think anyone said you can't add a Word document to a note. What they have said is Word docs are stored as attachments & therefore not indexed & that if/when you modify the original residing on your hard drive, it will not be synced to the original note attachment in Evernote. My point also noted that although you can double click the Word attachment in an Evernote note & that will invoke Word & open the doc for editing, that IME, if you leave the document open for a long time, say several hours, and are changing it throughout the day, that the latest version is not always added back to the Evernote note. But (as I also noted above), that may have been resolved.

Nope, as of September 2014 I just lost a bunch of stuff from an excel document. Painstakingly acquired data, which at least can be reacquired, as opposed to creative work that would have been gone forever. I'm SO glad I discovered this thread before I lose anymore. I was actually Googling to see how to save Word versions in EN, having assumed my xls loss was some random glitch. Phew.

So, nope, not using EN for writing anymore, unless it's simple enough it doesn't require Word or Excel, just EN formatting. Hope maybe this helps someone else!

Archived