(Archived) How to delete Unused tags?

pranavtulsian

Hi,

Ive been using Evernote for a while now and have to say its amazing. Just one problem, overtime I have accumulated many tags, many that I dont use anymore and a couple I created accidentally. I was wondering how I could delete these unused ones (cannot be renamed as I have tags with the requires names already).

Thank you.

Yeah. Slowly and reasonably carefully, and unfortunately completely manually.

Show unassigned tags

Expand tags in left panel

Look for zero count tags that are not parent tags

Delete when found (left click, delete) or (right click -> delete)

Rinse and repeat

Show unassigned tags

Rinse and repeat

Ive gone to view and checked 'Show unassigned tags'

but I dont get what you mean after that? How do you 'expand tags' in the left panel?

Thanks for everyone trying to help btw.

Edit: I am using EverNote on Windows, 4.5.3.

Why is nobody helping me? :) This must be really simple thing, Im just missing somethine stupid and I cant find it!!

First, this is a user's board. People volunteer their time here. The exceptions are those who's profile shows them as EN employees. They do answer here, but it's as time permits. There is no guarantee you will receive a reply within a day, much less a few hours.

Second, in the left pane, there is a triangle to the left of the word 'tags'. That's how you expand/collapse the list of tag names.

Why is nobody helping me? :) This must be really simple thing, Im just missing somethine stupid and I cant find it!!

First, this is a user's board. People volunteer their time here. The exceptions are those who's profile shows them as EN employees. They do answer here, but it's as time permits. There is no guarantee you will receive a reply within a day, much less a few hours.

Second, in the left pane, there is a triangle to the left of the word 'tags'. That's how you expand/collapse the list of tag names.

Sorry dint mean to come accross rude, I understand people are giving up their free time to help ppl here and i appreicate it grately.

in mac, you right click and then delete. i assume windows has similar functionality.

Right click where exactly? I cant find a place where my tags are located to try this.

here is a screenshot of a windows display. your tags are on the left.

http://jerryfahrni.c..._screenshot.PNG

Ahhh Ic!!! Thank you very much. It was somthing stupid after all, I had the left panel deactivated, so I thought 'Note List' was the left panel.

Thanks a lot everyone!!!

• Level 5

Show unassigned tags

Rinse and repeat

When the next beta comes out, please try "Select Unassigned Tags" in the [Debug] menu. To enable [Debug] menu start Evernote with /DebugMenu command line option. Right click any selected tag to delete all currently selected tags in one shot. Hope this helps until we find a better way to expose this functionality in the UI...

/Peter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

This is not working. I turned on debug, selected unassigned tabs, then after a long time they were all selected, I picked the first one and right click delete, but it only deletes that one tag, even though they all remain selected? I am on a PC running version 5

• Level 5*

This is an old thread - much of the tag functionality, including the ability to select show unassigned tags, was lost when Evernote "upgraded" to version 5.

Correction - it seems to be there for me in the debug menu - just not as user-friendly as it used to be.

This is an old thread - much of the tag functionality, including the ability to select show unassigned tags, was lost when Evernote "upgraded" to version 5.

Correction - it seems to be there for me in the debug menu - just not as user-friendly as it used to be.

And despite it being there and despite it correctly selecting all of the tags you can only delete one at a time. Deleting unused tags seems to be a pretty obvious thing users would need and want. Still looking for a solution as I have thousands of tags no longer used after deleting a delicious import that went wrong. 

Archived