(Archived) why not skitch for windows?

calmriver

hi,

I'm happy evernote user.

Now I testing skitch but I notice 2 problems:

1) no version for windows

2) in android not possible to save project to later editing (the first time I lost my project...1h work! ... :-( ....)

So if you don't have a Mac Skitch it's realy not fully valid.

Thanks,

Andrea

small-logo.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Having just taken a job in a Windows-centric environment, I can't even begin to explain how crippled I feel right now without Skitch!!!

I mean, thank god that I have Evernote on this box. But the inability to snap screen shots and annotate them with the power and ease of Skitch is just killing me and my productivity. I'm dying to show these people what it can do!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
Hi, I have a touch screen Windows 7 PC and I am disappointed that I cannot use Skitch with Evernote - come on developers, you know it makes sense !
It's in the pipeline. No ETA. Patience is a virtue.
  • 4 weeks later...

@heather,

I can't seem to find a download link on that page and jumping to the App WebSite goes to the usual Evernote/Skitch page with no mention of the Windows (beta) version described on the page you linked to. Am I just not seeing it?

-- roschler

Metro's not "final" yet. It won't be released until October, so yes, there's lots of people who would be complaining about the way it works right now, especially when they try to install it on machines it's not designed for.

I can say that for touchscreen devices, it really is a great, full-featured OS.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm confused. Is Skitch for windows not coming to Win 7 and maybe XP? Only Win 8?

Oh...I hope not. :(

At work, there is no chance that we will go to Win8 in the near future. We are firmly embedded with Win7. And I have no particular desire to upgrade from Win7 at home...I really like it.

If there is no Win7 compatible version of Skitch coming, I will be crushed. :(

I'm confused. Is Skitch for windows not coming to Win 7 and maybe XP? Only Win 8?

Oh...I hope not. :(

At work, there is no chance that we will go to Win8 in the near future. We are firmly embedded with Win7. And I have no particular desire to upgrade from Win7 at home...I really like it.

If there is no Win7 compatible version of Skitch coming, I will be crushed. :(

I agree, not developing for Win7 is a bad idea, I work for an IT-company who's customers are at this moment moving from XP to Win7. There is no way they wil be moving to Windows 8 anytime soon! Even I as an experienced Windows user won't move to Windows 8 for at least a couple of years, it may very well be that I (and our customers) will skip Windows 8 and wait for the next version!

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

+1 for Windows 7.

Work isn't moving to Windows 8 anytime soon (especially with the reviews we've been reading). I guess I'm stuck with Fast Stone Capture for awhile :(

I hope companies aren't going to rely on other people reviews, if they would actually go in and give it a real test they will see the benefits greatly outweigh the disadvantages.

Yes Windows 8 is different, but it is also ALOT faster in all respects. Users just need to try it for a few days to get used to the new way of working.

Anyway, I didn't come here to talk about Windows 8, I was just wondering how you make screenshots with the Metro version of skitch? Like you do on the Mac version... or is this something that is yet to come?

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I have no intention of upgrading to Windows 8...I hate to be left behind. A regular Windows app for the desktop will be compatible now and going forward. A "Metro" app is not backward compatible and excludes a large part of the user base. :(

+1 for windows 7 version.

I've been on windows 8 for a few months now and am actually going back to 7. A friend of mine is also about to switch back. I think windows 8 will be similar to Vista in that it will get traction through pre-installed systems - but many will choose to downgrade to windows 7 (as they did to xp from Vista). It doesn't make much sense to have the full metro UI and only use the 'Desktop' mode (which I was doing because most metro apps suck).

For those on WIndows 7, yo ucan activate the tablet functions even without tablet hardware. This gives you the MSFT snipping tool, which will do screen shots that you can annotate. Built into the OS of windows and works incredibly well.

For those on WIndows 7, yo ucan activate the tablet functions even without tablet hardware. This gives you the MSFT snipping tool, which will do screen shots that you can annotate. Built into the OS of windows and works incredibly well.

I have no idea what this means. Are you saying just use the Win 7 snipping tool? Because that's nothing like Skitch.

Well I am new to this forum...but was determined to voice my support for the need to have a Win 7 version...as has been mentioned...Evernote is missing a huge proportion of users as a result.

Some of us "older" users, like the larger screen and keypads, ( even though we have an iPhone)....

Surely opting for the common denominator Win 7 or even XP is a better PR and makes sense over the Win 8 that most will steer clear of for some time...... Come On Guys....get your act together.....the year is almost over and we are all still waiting....frustrated and grumpy !!!

How about a update on progress????

Well I am new to this forum...but was determined to voice my support for the need to have a Win 7 version...as has been mentioned...Evernote is missing a huge proportion of users as a result.

Some of us "older" users, like the larger screen and keypads, ( even though we have an iPhone)....

Surely opting for the common denominator Win 7 or even XP is a better PR and makes sense over the Win 8 that most will steer clear of for some time...... Come On Guys....get your act together.....the year is almost over and we are all still waiting....frustrated and grumpy !!!

How about a update on progress????

We don't release timelines or roadmaps. Getting a product out on multiple platforms is quite a feat, especially since we rewrite it each time. That being said, we've read all your comments and thanks for posting.

Skitch on Windows 8 is fine. Unfortunately, Windows 8 on a non-touchscreen device (especially a desktop) is highly irritating. I've been using it on a few machines for about a month now, and my frustration levels have not decreased with time.

• 8 months later...

Archived