Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo

Import Catch Notes data to Evernote

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 ral

ral

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

I was thinking of switching from Catch Notes to Evernote. I was wondering is there any way of importing my data from Catch Notes to Evernote.

TIA.

#2 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 12,184 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:15 PM

IDK anything about Catch Notes.

The way to get information into Evernote is to set up an import/watched folder (Please search the board for more info, should you need it.) or Drag N Drop. You would need to be able to export your notes from Catch Notes. Since Evernote is free, I suggest you try it with some notes, to see if it works the way you want it to.
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#3 heather

heather

• Title: Support Maven
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 04:36 PM

You can export your notes from Catch to a .txt file that is stored on your SD card.
  • Open the app
  • Press Settings in Menu
  • Scroll down to the export tab
You .txt file of notes will be on your SD card. You can retrieve this file from using a file manager app and emailing it to yourself or by plugging your phone to your computer with the USB cable.
Once you've done that, install Evernote Desktop, and simply drag the file onto the Evernote icon. It will create a new note with the content of your Catch notes.
Due to the way Catch exports your notes, they will all be in one "uber-note", but you can export and sort them later from within Evernote.

Check out our Knowledgebase | View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows or iOS or Android | Check out the Getting Started Guide | Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#4 thedreamykind

thedreamykind

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

I tried the web version of "export to csv file" on Catch, that didn't work out very well though.

I followed this approach, which I think works very well:
Install the Evernote web clipper on your browser, export all your catch notes as a web page (all notes appear on the same page), select the text of each note in turn and clip it using the web clipper to make a new note on Evernote. While clipping, you can easily see your tags on catch (#tags) and correspondingly add tags on Evernote.

#5 Mighty

Mighty

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:39 AM

New Evernote user, transfering from Catch.com I stumbled on a slightly better way to do this. OpenOffice.

First, go to the Catch.com site, go in your profile, and export to CSV. Import that CSV into OpenOffice Calc. The content of your notes will be in the cells.
  • Click on a cell with your text and tap Ctrl-C
  • Switch over to Evernote Desktop
  • Click New Note
  • Paste into the note. It will even retain your line breaks and spaces
  • Click back on the cell you just copied
  • Tap Down Arrow to get to the next cell
One oddity. For me, it usually takes 3-5 taps of Ctrl-V to get it to "take." Same with using the menu, Edit->Paste. I have no idea why this happens. A little annoying. But better than having to carefully use the mouse to highlight each note using the Web Clipper.

I have 288 notes. So, I'm going to spend a few more minutes searching around to see if I can find a tool to automagically split that field of the CSV into its own file. If it would work on the first try I could probably be finished in five minutes.

Drake Christensen

#6 heather

heather

• 1,936 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

If you're on Windows, and have Excel, Evernote Support has a script you can plug into Excel that will split a .csv into individual text files.

Check out our Knowledgebase | View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows or iOS or Android | Check out the Getting Started Guide | Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#7 McK

McK

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 11:43 PM

Thank you. But the main question is about the attacments!!! I have 350 notes with several pics on each. If there is no automatic way to transform them to evernotes, I have to stay on catch. Could you reply on makeev.al.n@gmail.com, please

#8 pkooistra

pkooistra

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

Has anyone figured out how to do this effectively?  Catch is closing down in August and I am sure there will be many people wondering how to make this move to evernote and keep all of their data and pics.

#9 heather

heather

• 1,936 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

According to Catch.com they've come up with a way for you to export all of your data from their service:

http://support.catch...43609-importing

#10 tindog

tindog

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:11 AM

so I have an Evernote account but I've been using Catch since I have a backlog of notes. Now, as you've all heard, Catch is disbanding. Now that I'm going to Evernote, I have downloaded all my notes from Catch in an enex file, which they say is for import into Evernote, but I cannot find an import command. If anyone has some reality on this process it would be helpful. I get the feeling this question is going to be asked a lot for a while.

#11 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,184 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:41 AM

so I have an Evernote account but I've been using Catch since I have a backlog of notes. Now, as you've all heard, Catch is disbanding. Now that I'm going to Evernote, I have downloaded all my notes from Catch in an enex file, which they say is for import into Evernote, but I cannot find an import command. If anyone has some reality on this process it would be helpful. I get the feeling this question is going to be asked a lot for a while.

You need to be using a desktop client (Mac/Windows) to import an enex file. It's always helpful to mention which client you're using.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#12 tindog

tindog

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:42 AM

windows 8

#13 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,184 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:50 AM

Windows 8 desktop client is a different animal & I don't use it. It may even still be beta...??? So importing may not be added to that client yet.

#14 tindog

tindog

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:51 AM

As far as I know it functions like most other Windows desktops, what is the mechanism for importing the enex file?

#15 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,184 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 01:54 AM

As far as I know it functions like most other Windows desktops, what is the mechanism for importing the enex file?

It's an import command. Probably off the file menu, IIRC Also be sure you are using the EN desktop client (download/install) rather than accessing your EN account via a web browser (web client).

#16 tindog

tindog

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:03 AM

Didn't even know Evernote for desktop, as a program, was a thing. Thanks, I'll play with that.

#17 tindog

tindog

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:13 AM

Worked like a charm, all my notes are synced, thanks. As I said, Evernote might want to be ready for this question as Catch/AK Notepad is closing up shop, lots of people will be migrating. The first thing to say is "you cannot import your old notes from within the app, you must download the Evernote desktop program. The import command is under "File" as expected. Once your notes are imported choose sync and the website and your other devices."

#18 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,184 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:40 AM

Worked like a charm, all my notes are synced, thanks. As I said, Evernote might want to be ready for this question as Catch/AK Notepad is closing up shop, lots of people will be migrating. The first thing to say is "you cannot import your old notes from within the app, you must download the Evernote desktop program. The import command is under "File" as expected. Once your notes are imported choose sync and the website and your other devices."

Possibly. But as my sig indicates, I have no affiliation with EN.  I am just a user like yourself.

#19 gbarry

gbarry

• Title: Admin in Residence
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:24 PM

Here's the process we're working with internally for any requests coming through support:
  1. Go to this link: https://catch.com/tools/export/new
  2. Login to your Catch.com account, and then you'll see an option to Download an Export of all of your notes
  3. The Export Tool is organized into three panels:
    • The first panel provides a way to download all of your content as either a CSV file or a Zip file.
    • The second panel provides a way to download a single space as a Zip file.
    • The third panel provides a way to download all content for a particular year as a Zip file.
    • Select one of the ".zip" methods (not CSV).
  4. When you click "Download", your browser will start downloading the selected content. This can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours depending on the size of your account and the speed of your Internet connection.
  5. Download the Evernote desktop app (Mac or Windows)
  6. Unzip your Catch .zip file (On Windows, right-click the downloaded file and "Extract All". On Mac OS, double-click the downloaded file.) and double click on the .enex file you wish to import. You will find it in Evernote in a new notebook, with the title of "Import Notes." I suggest you import spaces one at a time, and rename them as you go along, so as to avoid confusion.
    • Your photos and other documents will *not* be attached. They can be found in the same folder where you found the .enex file, and can easily be dragged/placed into Evernote

Check out our Knowledgebase. View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows. Check out the Getting Started Guide. Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#20 pkooistra

pkooistra

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 06:03 PM

That was very helpful.  This process worked for me.

Thanks for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote