Heading 1, 2 and 3 in Evernote

closemarketing

Idea

88 replies to this idea

This is ESSENTIAL!   Anyone who uses evernote to actually think through a project of any kind, within an evernote, knows that breaking the content down by "sections" must occur, and trying to choose a specific font-size and or click bold for each "section heading" is an annoying waste of time.  

Even if you could just make it so I have a 1-click "heading" button that defaults to 18px that would be fine for some time.   But let's face it, you'll eventually have to put in heading 1, heading 2, and heading 3, and it's not complicated to do so.  

Bear in mind there are probably 80% more people interested in this who didn't sign in and write something.

A +1 vote from me (whatever that's worth, given that this has been requested for over 2 years!).

The inability to create properly structured notes is one of the biggest weaknesses of Evernote, but one that appears to be very easy to solve.

Come on Evernote, please put some developer time into this!

Almost 2 years have passed since I posted a similar question (click here) and it is a pitty we still have not been heard by Evernote. I really don't understand why such a simple feature can't be implemented yet.

Having headings to give structure to a note would be incredible useful and a productive booster for every one I think.

+1

Lack of formatting consistency between platforms is my biggest irritation in what is otherwise a great service - structural headings would solve 80% of that issue for me in one fell swoop (most of the other 20% being a <pre> block).

• Level 5*

Just using the default HTML values for those items would be great - otherwise someone will want 12 pt, someone else will want 14 pt, etc. It would be nice to have the ability to set the font size for each heading, but I won't be picky ...

+1

Right now, when I want headings in a note I typed on iOS I have to:

1 sync my phone

2 go to my Mac

3 sync my Mac

4 open the note

For each line

- a. select the line I want to be a heading

- b. find 18pt in the font size menu and select it

There is tedium already in the iOS interface since I have to sync to the Mac. This tedium is compounded by the non-preset manual font style selection in the Mac interface.

Please give us heading styles.

Implementation

A simple dropdown menu on the Mac and popup menu similar to the current format menu on iOS would suffice. Just giving us preset headings and body styles (h1, h2, h3, body) for the current line would work wonders. I recommend 18pt font for h1.

• Level 5*

1: Evernote reads every post

2: Evernote doesn't respond to every post and doesn't give out timelines

3. Like any other software developer, Evernote prioritizes what goes into Evernote and when, or what doesn't go in.

well.. and after 2 years and a half.. nothing...wow

Well. EN already got your money. ;-) Yet another of those products that sell the same stuff for years before it becomes outdated and dies its natural death without any innovation!

Oh really?

Well. EN already got your money. ;-) Yet another of those products that sell the same stuff for years before it becomes outdated and dies its natural death without any innovation!

I really think that in EN are making a really good job. But for me a tablet of content in the same note, and headers is super important. The thing is that is super easy to develop, at least, they would put an option in the preferences panel to enable or disable this option. I think there are a lot of people who wants this feature. 

But... are they reading this kind of forum..even being of them..... i am not sure. After 2 years and a half, no one from EN answer..ridiculous. At least, say why not add that option..

• Level 5*

+100000 Did you note that even in this forum.. when you make an answer... you have more features to format the text than in EN???

Sure, about a million years ago. Life is often filled with small seeming ironies: in this case, Evernote didn't author the forum; it's a third-party application written by someone else. The flip side: this forum doesn't appear to support creation of tables and checkboxes (except via copy/paste). Make of it what you will.

That being said, it would be nice to have better formatting facilities in Evernote, no question.

+1 from me too. It's probably the biggest omission in Evernote for me. Not such a big issue on the PC version (and Mac presumably) since there is full font control there anyway but for the mobile clients it's really frustrating to have to create notes without any clearly visible section markers that then need post-editing once I get back home to make them more easily readable.

So, what I would love to see in Evernote is Markdown support. 

Amen to that!

And an Amen from me as well!  Markdown is simple, cross-platform, and readable in its raw form (unlike HTML, which is way too heavy).  More and more tools are incorporating it, so more and more people are becoming familiar with it, which also makes it a good choice - I use it in my email client (Thunderbird) and occasionally in emacs when writing simple docs.

• Level 5*

So, here's what gets to me.  Your notes are stored in ENML, which is a profile and superset of XHTML 1.1.  That means all the familiar h1-h3, paragraph, pre, code, abbr, etc. tags are available.  All your notes are being styled just like HTML.

Well, subset, actually, and not a proper subset either. See https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/enml.php. But yes, Evernote does support those tags when rendering, and it'd be useful to have them available in the UI. BTW, if you want to edit this stuff in the raw, the ENML Editor is a handy little tool.

So, what I would love to see in Evernote is Markdown support.  I'd like this to such an extent that my primary Evernote client when I want to write is now Sublime Text 3, using bordaigorl's Evernote package.

Another option you might consider is a different third-party tool:  https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/61145-marxico-the-missing-markdown-editor-for-evernote/. I'd guess that a big point against it is the round-tripping problem

I'd also like to be able to change or fix the default stylesheet for Evernote.  Since I've been using Sublime, I've noticed that the OS X desktop client has bad paragraph vertical spacing.  The same note that looks vertically cramped on OS X looks great on the iPad and iOS clients.

That'd be useful as well.

So, here's what gets to me.  Your notes are stored in ENML, which is a profile and superset of XHTML 1.1.  That means all the familiar h1-h3, paragraph, pre, code, abbr, etc. tags are available.  All your notes are being styled just like HTML.

So, what I would love to see in Evernote is Markdown support.  I'd like this to such an extent that my primary Evernote client when I want to write is now Sublime Text 3, using bordaigorl's Evernote package.

I'd also like to be able to change or fix the default stylesheet for Evernote.  Since I've been using Sublime, I've noticed that the OS X desktop client has bad paragraph vertical spacing.  The same note that looks vertically cramped on OS X looks great on the iPad and iOS clients.

+1

Lack of formatting consistency between platforms is my biggest irritation in what is otherwise a great service - structural headings would solve 80% of that issue for me in one fell swoop (most of the other 20% being a <pre> block).

I completely agree with @Cartroo.

I've had my share of problems with Evernote in the past, but I think the service is steadily improving. That said, the lack of structural headings (and a <pre> block), makes me go elsewhere for lots of notes that I'd rather put in Evernote. All-in-all, this will lead me to move away from Evernote, which is too bad since I really like much of it.

• Level 5*

Evernote CEO Phil Libin seems to have quite a different opinion about Evernote's writing/editing tool:

Libin was quoted at the 2014 Evernote Conference as saying the following.
From Evernote Unveils Evernote Context by TechCrunch:

CEO Phil Libin said

We’ve tried to make the writing experience across all our clients really polished,” CEO Phil Libin said today. “Evernote wants to be the best place for writing.”

I guess this really caught me by surprise since I've seen nothing but complaints about the Evernote text editor.  And, the response has often been that if you want a writing tool, or a word processing tool, then go somewhere else.

I am in OneNote. It is the perfect notebook. Evernote is for simple notes, not for notebooks. 

One think that I would like to know is why did they create this forum if never read it.

It is a pity.

I tried to post the comment in the central page, where evernote posted the news about great enhancements in Macos. There were "many features for editing notes" - but not styling or this kind, but editing tables and pictures. There was the moderation for questions, I don't know, whether my post was allowed. I put the link to this thread there. As we see, there is still no success, Evernote has lots of new features considering chatting, shared access and the other staff, but they still cannot make acceptable editing.

As for me - I use Apple Pages for editing. There are pretty tunable hotkeys for styles, formatting the document is exclusively simple and user-friendly. 

I noticed, that I don't use Evernote for manually creation of notes anymore. Most of all I use Web clipper for storing articles. So evernote is like the document storage with fast and powerful search. That's what it is good in. It is not good in editing at all.

I've been an evernote premium user for years, and while I use it for a lot of things.. I use MS's Onenote for what I consider my 'lab notebook' at work, mostly because of this.  You can't quickly format large points that organize your information and separate it into logical sections.

I frequently get tired of one note's foibles as well though.. and come back to this thread.

If you don't want to do it.. how about you give us a plugin framework that allows your users to scratch their own itches a little.  It would only serve to make Evernote MORE valuable to all of us..

• Level 5*

The usual maxim about "if you can't be bothered to vote, then your choice doesn't matter" would apply to folks who don't speak up about what they want. That being said, this may never get implemented, even if lots of people "vote" for it.

I'd probably find it useful myself, but it's not all that critical to my use case (admittedly light-duty). I do find the Ctrl+Plus/Ctrl+Minus (increase/decrease font size for selection), Ctrl+B (bold), and Ctrl+I (Italicise) shortcuts to be useful workarounds for the first couple of sections; after that it's just copy/paste. Another option would be to have a note template with the heading styles that you want already available at the top, and copy/paste as needed; to make a new note, copy the note template to the intended notebook, and edit that.

+1

Headings would be really nice to have.

It is really burdensome to click on individual text properties (font size, etc) to differentiate a section heading from content in a note. This seems like an obvious enhancement and an easy one to implement?

It is not only nice to have text styles as Heading 1, 2 and 3 in Evernote, it is also a matter having a minimum of accessibility for people with special needs (handicaps) . The other reason is reusability - copy the text produced in Evernote and paste it to a HTML file.

So far Google documents has got a better user interface concerning text editing! Get some good ideas from Google!

Apart from that I like Evernote!

• Level 5

I use Evernote to store my memories and completed tasks. I seldom use it for work-in-progress. No sense uploading, and uploading the same document over and over again; and pushing up against the monthly quota.

The Google Docs multiple heading formats works very nicely for my completed documents in Evernote.

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s2/sh/d2ee8d82-65f7-459e-ab52-366f806cc934/ad54d54ede647505d74706f7b79220f9

To me, this lack of at least H1-H3 options is a totally unnecessary and highly annoying omission in an otherwise very useful product. Lack of headings to add some very basic structure in what quickly become unreadable notes is a must for Evernote to fully live up to the expectations it otherwise fulfills splendidly. It should not be necessary to use all kinds of hacks and external scripts. Come on, dear Evernote developers, wake up! 

+200 for headings. It's crazy to have an unfiltered dropdown of every font on my system, but no provision for inserting meaningful core styles. I wrote more about this in a post in a different discussion, since there are so many requests for headings. My summarized arguments for headings: Structure, organization, standards and accessibility (and ADA/508 compliance), the latter of which is a requirement the my state University at which I work.

• Level 5

Wondering if anyone's attempted OPML to ENEX (or FreeMind to ENEX) for that matter. I can get my personal mind mapping tool (MindNode on Mac, as it happens) to emit a PDF which I'm sure Evernote could cope with. But that's not the same thing. OPML would be closer. (Likewise ENEX to Powerpoint (or OpenOffice) slide.)

Metapoint: Evernote Import and Export to external formats remains a frustration.

Martin

@jeremyr I wouldn't personally value consistency across ALL my notes. I'd prefer styling within my note - with the possibility the styling translates into structure on export. For example h1 turning into HTML <h1> somehow. I don't think we do "export to HTML" in any case (though export to ENML could then turn ENML into (X)HTML). If we do then the "style into markup" thing would apply.

Martin

I don't care much about consistency across notes either. I care about ease of applying a visual style to the information. The option to customize a stylesheet would be cool, but I'll settle for a nice default Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.

• Level 5

@jeremyr I wouldn't personally value consistency across ALL my notes. I'd prefer styling within my note - with the possibility the styling translates into structure on export. For example h1 turning into HTML <h1> somehow. I don't think we do "export to HTML" in any case (though export to ENML could then turn ENML into (X)HTML). If we do then the "style into markup" thing would apply.

Martin

Text Styling is an important feature to add. When I'm looking through a note, I want to add section titles and it's hard to make something stand out without clicking 3 or 4 different controls: bold, underline, 14pt. I'd prefer a Heading1 style that would apply across all my notes.

Indenting lists (outlining is also an important feature).

It's very hard to read a long note in EverNote...

• Level 5*

No, I think that they're asking for the preformatted headings, a l a Microsoft Word and others. This has been requested before. Could possibly be implemented using the standard H1, h2, h3 HTML tags which are allowed by ENML.

• Level 5

Hm. Not sure what you are talking about, but I think you want to change the VIEW of your notes. Probably you are in "snippet" or "thumbnail" view. Go to VIEW and change your setting to LIST view and you will have a list with the headers of your notes in the upper pane.

Wern

• Level 5*

Very pity, that's such a important task is not done yet. Seems that Evernote developers consider that everyone used notes for creation of one-paragraph text.

As for me, I use it for creation of short synopsyses for all technical materials that I meet anywhere. And this is not one-two paragraph text - it has some areas with headings. So each time I have to go through text and constantly change font size, make it bold and change its color. If I have 5 heading - this requires 15 actions.

If you have common document formats, you can make templates for them, and use Copy Note to make new instances that are ready to go.

Guys from evernote team, please answer!

This is primarily a user forum, and Evernote doesn't usually discuss its future development roadmaps, so you may not hear back on your request. They certainly read the forums and have heard this request before, though.

+1 On Headings. I currently use an application called Zim which uses a pseudo markdown/asciidoc plain text file format - being able to organize with headings is wonderful for taking notes on a single topic, or keeping minutes from a recurring meeting together, etc. Is the +1 something we can do ourselves or do we have to me too it up here in someone elses post and pray an Evernote insider finds it and adds it themselves?

Heading is really important to help organise a wordy document. With it, a TOC can be generated. Google Docs, Office 365, and Confluence support it either natively or via plugins. From a business' perspective, it is a really nice-to-have feature so that Evernote can go to big businesses via your SAAS.

+1

It just makes sense—and it's an update that adds value to the core functionality...the content of the notes. Styling each individual heading and subheading is tedious. In a perfect world, I'd also love to be able to create custom styles—or at least edit the default styles—where I could also control space between paragraphs, etc.

I don't know how much code this adds to the app, but it is way more valuable to me than the many cosmetic updates Evernote seems to get on a regular basis.

I consider myself an Evernote Lifer—I write more because Evernote is there. Please add some improved styling, so I don't have to go back and add it manually when I'm preparing my memoir, someday.

I think that all styles and copying-pasting of format may be delayed if another thing is introduced: multiselect/multiedit. 

The common editing paradigm - enter the textual content and when everything is finished - format it. And if you have several pages of text you have to move from line to line and apply the number of actions (text size, boldness, alignment) again and again. If multiselect (and therefore multiedit) would be possible - all these actions could be applied "in batch". Just select all "headings" apply the number of actions - and they become really formatted pieces of text! 

Is this possible?

Thanks.

As an academic student, i tend to take (very) long notes. Evernote would make this a lot easier with the implementation of more formatting options, that is headings AND line spacing. The latter would make it more easy to read through long passages of notes, and the former would make the overall structure easier to navigate. 

Very pity, that's such a important task is not done yet. Seems that Evernote developers consider that everyone used notes for creation of one-paragraph text.

As for me, I use it for creation of short synopsyses for all technical materials that I meet anywhere. And this is not one-two paragraph text - it has some areas with headings. So each time I have to go through text and constantly change font size, make it bold and change its color. If I have 5 heading - this requires 15 actions.

I think LOTS of people have the same scenarios for using evernote. Can anyone from developers tell if this feature is planned or not? I'm not speaking about full Microsoft Word features (though inserting TOCs using headings would also be great), but Headings is a "must have" feature for any text-oriented frameworks!

Guys from evernote team, please answer!

Thanks

+1 for me as well. For years, I have taught people to use the headings 1,2,3 in programs like Word, Wordpress, html etc because you can change the heading in one place and it will update the whole document. It would help if Evernote did this as well, especially since I am starting to use it to write some of my blog posts which need those headings for formatting and SEO.

Could I add another +1 (or more if it were possible) to requests for this feature. I'm not too fussed exactly what the headings within notes look like as long as there is a quick way to add such headings so that the note is easier to read and follow. Otherwise, I think evernote is great, but lack of this feature does frustrate me.

Archived