Font control needed

Im sure this isn't the first time this has been mentioned, bur Evernote for iPad really needs some basic font control. Nothing fancy, just some way to vary size and perhaps bold and italicize selected text. Example: sometimes content pastes microscopically. Don't know why, but it's a real pain to manually fix this.

• Level 5*

you can do bold and italics. but, you cannot change the font style or text size. i also hope evernote adds this. most of the time i just want 12 or 14 point times new roman, or courier, but so many of my notes have tiny text and large text from pasting things into notes.

Agreed – font size control would be a good addition. Although, I’ll admit I haven’t missed this feature as much as fixing the wacky checkboxes. (Mirror the formatting, etc… of bullets and make consistent between platforms.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

I don't know about a default minimum, because I can imagine that some people really do want some text to be small.

However, if we could just gain control over the text size and fonts, then we could mess with this ourselves. The only option now is to work in another notetaking program that does handle text sizes / fonts better (Pages). Unfortunately, because copying and pasting from websites or old notes introduces all sorts of issues, it is just easier to work in another app. This is obviously far from ideal. If we are spending so much time in another app for notetaking, at least a few users are going to wonder why they should use Evernote at all...

• 3 months later...

Hi all!

I know I am not the first to ask this , but I thought, the more threads on this topic the better for us to see it soon.

Evernote is really a nifty tool , which helps me immensely to prepare for readings I do every now and then.

But the font control in Evernote is lousy!!! Even on this website I have more option to work on text than in Evernote for iPad / iPhone.

I really need to be able to choose font size and line spacing. At the very least!!

Having style sheets would be a plus! So I could apply the same text style to all my texts. Especially after I've pasted them from different sources into my notes.

Pretty Please for more Font Control!

THANKS

• Level 5*

Hi all!

I know I am not the first to ask this , but I thought, the more threads on this topic the better for us to see it soon.

Evernote is really a nifty tool , which helps me immensely to prepare for readings I do every now and then.

But the font control in Evernote is lousy!!! Even on this website I have more option to work on text than in Evernote for iPad / iPhone.

I really need to be able to choose font size and line spacing. At the very least!!

Having style sheets would be a plus! So I could apply the same text style to all my texts. Especially after I've pasted them from different sources into my notes.

Pretty Please for more Font Control!

THANKS

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

Actually, the more threads there are, the less likely the developers and Evernote staff will see it. They prefer to have discussions consolidated into threads whenever possible. It also helps users who are looking for discussions if they don't see them spread across several threads.

Anyhow, I agree with you. This has been on my wish list for many months as well :)

Evernote is NOT ADA Compliant.

The basic idea that we cannot choose a font size in 2012 is ridiculous. Vision challenged, even those who have reading glasses get a clear message from Evernote: GO HOME AND LEAVE US ALONE.

That may fly in Russia, but refusing to be ADA compliant in the USA is another matter.

• Level 5*

Evernote is NOT ADA Compliant.

The basic idea that we cannot choose a font size in 2012 is ridiculous. Vision challenged, even those who have reading glasses get a clear message from Evernote: GO HOME AND LEAVE US ALONE.

That may fly in Russia, but refusing to be ADA compliant in the USA is another matter.

Well, I don't think we should blow this out of proportion. Lots of apps are rather rigid about font displays in iOS. It comes with the territory. I don't even think Apple's own Mail app or Notes app provides the ability to change fonts, font sizes, or backgrounds. If anything it is a message being sent by Apple with its tiny iPhone screen!

Of course, it can be done, and other apps are doing it, so I think it is reasonable for us to request the feature :)

I don't even think Apple's own Mail app or Notes app provides the ability to change fonts, font sizes, or backgrounds.

They actually do, it's in the accessibility options in general settings. There is also voice over and all kinds of stuff, I haven't bothered to try it though, but it's there.

an example

7294896786_3eb07d18ab_b.jpg

Ok, so I checked some more options there and you can actually turn on "zoom" feature and use zoom in any app and make anything as large as you like so it kind of makes all apps ADA compliant by default.

7294933020_a588f2aea3_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

But wait, if what May is saying is correct (and it looks like it is) that means the only way to increase text size in the Evernote app is by zooming the entire screen, which leads to a usability nightmare for the app (just try getting things done when using zooming - it is not pleasant vs the standard experience) while it is zoomed (which would presumably have to me most of the time while reading/interacting with text). So, this really isn't a solution in my opinion.

I really hope that Evernote adds the option for at least a minimum font size in the future. I use my iPad with a keyboard, and being a little farther away from the iPad the default font size is definitely smaller than preferred.

While on this topic, since this is probably handled by the same Evernote product mgr and developer, I want a language display option somewhere in the setting - I use J-a-p-anese for my iOS devices, but this doesn't mean that I want to give up UI control at the app level.

With shared productivity apps like Evernote, there is a lot of J-a-p-anese "wrapped" around shared content that others in my company can't read. This is flawed thinking by Evernote (and many other iOS apps) but is a result of monoglot Anglo product managers and developers.

So, give us font and language control!

(PS - I had to go back in and edit this post since the utter fools who run this site thinks that J-a-p-anese is a bad word - now it is clear why the app is f-d up in the language area)

• Level 5*

While on this topic, since this is probably handled by the same Evernote product mgr and developer, I want a language display option somewhere in the setting - I use J-a-p-anese for my iOS devices, but this doesn't mean that I want to give up UI control at the app level.

With shared productivity apps like Evernote, there is a lot of J-a-p-anese "wrapped" around shared content that others in my company can't read. This is flawed thinking by Evernote (and many other iOS apps) but is a result of monoglot Anglo product managers and developers.

(PS - I had to go back in and edit this post since the utter fools who run this site thinks that J-a-p-anese is a bad word - now it is clear why the app is f-d up in the language area)

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

I don't understand your comments about *****anese. Could you explain it again? I use *****anese and Chinese in my account, and I guess I don't see any problems with how the languages are handled now. We do have language control.

As for the font control, I'm looking forward to it :)

The forum recently underwent an update, so it looks like some parts of words are getting mistakenly flagged as obscenities. Thanks for reporting it. I will alert the obscene authorities.

I don't understand your comments about *****anese. Could you explain it again? I use *****anese and Chinese in my account, and I guess I don't see any problems with how the languages are handled now. We do have language control.

The forum recently underwent an update, so it looks like some parts of words are getting mistakenly flagged as obscenities. Thanks for reporting it. I will alert the obscene authorities.

If everybody in a company uses J-a-p-anese it's no problem - but when I forward Evernote creations to someone else - subject headers and other lines have various J-a-p-anese content wrapped around them - and others in the company don't understand that. So, I want J-a-p-anese language support, but I also want to be able to set the app UI to English. Right now Evernote's language is locked to whatever UI language setting I have on my iPad. Life isn't that simple - please come up with a language setting at the app preference level.

I hope this made it clearer.

Since I can't attach screenshots from an iPad (thanks Apple) - shoot me an email and I'll send you a screenshot of the issue - if you still don't get what I'm talking about.

• Level 5*

If everybody in a company uses J-a-p-anese it's no problem - but when I forward Evernote creations to someone else - subject headers and other lines have various J-a-p-anese content wrapped around them - and others in the company don't understand that. So, I want J-a-p-anese language support, but I also want to be able to set the app UI to English. Right now Evernote's language is locked to whatever UI language setting I have on my iPad. Life isn't that simple - please come up with a language setting at the app preference level.

Hi. I am still not clear about what Japanese content is wrapping around what Evernote content. I have the language on my iPad set to Japanese. The application, of course, defaults to this language and all of the icons within the application are in Japanese. However, I emailed myself a note to see if the recipient would be able to tell what language I was using, but as far as I can tell, there was nothing in it in Japanese. The header was clean and so was the message. Could you attach a screenshot?

• Level 5*

Hi. It looks like you edited your post to say you cannot attach screen shots. Please email it to me (mayo.christopher.michael (at) gmail.com) and I will post it here for you. You could also share a note with us by emailing the screenshot to your Evernote account, and then sharing your note. Apple makes things difficult, but thanks to Evernote's sharing, not impossible!

[EDIT]

Thanks for the screenshot. I don't want to post it here, just in case there is sensitive information you don't want to share, so I will describe it. I think it is important to clarify what is happening here.

THE SCREENSHOT

You have the recipient (you) and then below that, the subject line in Japanese (日本語), followed by the date of the email, and then an English sentence in the body of the message that looks like it was added by you when you sent the note. Your note begins with the same Japanese ti-tle as that found in the subject line (日本語) and then the note appears normally.

The only Japanese that I see is the Japanese in the ti-tle. In other words, if you changed the note ti-tle to English, then there would not have been any Japanese anywhere, and so the problem would be solved. Surely, you are not suggesting that Evernote translate your ti-tles into English for you :)

I think the real problem here is the ti-tle, and this is what you mean by "wrapping" the content in Japanese. Based on the content of the Japanese ti-tle, I am guessing that you did not create it. Evernote automatically pop-ulated the ti-tle with information. This is a new feature introduced in recent updates, and it is one that has been somewhat controversial on the forums. So, your complaint isn't so much about the Japanese in the UI (although, you do have that as a complaint, and I have responded about that above), but about the Japanese that Evernote is inserting into the note.

You can turn off the automatic ti-tling in your settings. It will still try to suggest note ti-tles based on your other notes (I have requested that the developers remove this feature), but you can just ignore the suggestions if you would like and enter your own ti-tle. For better or for worse, if you do not give any ti-tle, the note has to have something, so it will default to "Note" (ノート in your case). As long as you type in something, you can avoid having Japanese in your notes, and anything you send to someone will be free of Japanese. It would be nice if we could change the default note name, but at this point, we cannot.

Did I understand the problem correctly and explain clearly what is going on? It isn't a solution to all of your problems (Japanese UI and Japanese auto-titling), but hopefully it will give you an idea of what is happening and how you can work around it.

Hi. I am still not clear about what Japanese content is wrapping around what Evernote content. I have the language on my iPad set to Japanese. The application, of course, defaults to this language and all of the icons within the application are in Japanese. However, I emailed myself a note to see if the recipient would be able to tell what language I was using, but as far as I can tell, there was nothing in it in Japanese. The header was clean and so was the message. Could you attach a screenshot?

Since the iPad doesn't leave any trace in the "sent" messages box of emails sent from the image viewer (thanks again Apple) - I'll have to retype.

The app should default to iOS UI language setting, yes, but there should also be an option to set it to whatever within the app. This is a shortcoming - and probably goes back to the ever-present Apple approach to make apps as dumb as possible. Seriously, since this is controllable app behavior, can we have an "advanced" setting option somewhere, where these settings can be adjusted?

• Level 5*

機嫌の悪いサル would be a more normal way in J-a-p-anese to write "grumpy monkey" - your sig is too kanji-dense - might make more sense to write that way in Chinese

Hi. I guess I missed your two posts. I edited my last one with an answer to your email/posts. Does this help?

As for my the kanji in my *****le, I am in a quandary there. It is dense with kanji now, so it is understandable by both Japanese and Chinese speakers. Alternatively, ご機嫌斜め could be used, but it sounds a bit too cute. I'll give your suggestion some thought. Or, maybe I should get rid of the Japanese entirely :)

Hi. It looks like you edited your post to say you cannot attach screen shots. Please email it to me (mayo.christopher.michael (at) gmail.com) and I will post it here for you. You could also share a note with us by emailing the screenshot to your Evernote account, and then sharing your note. Apple makes things difficult, but thanks to Evernote's sharing, not impossible!

[EDIT]

Thanks for the screenshot. I don't want to post it here, just in case there is sensitive information you don't want to share, so I will describe it. I think it is important to clarify what is happening here.

THE SCREENSHOT

You have the recipient (you) and then below that, the subject line in Japanese (日本語), followed by the date of the email, and then an English sentence in the body of the message that looks like it was added by you when you sent the note. Your note begins with the same Japanese ti-tle as that found in the subject line (日本語) and then the note appears normally.

The only Japanese that I see is the Japanese in the ti-tle. In other words, if you changed the note ti-tle to English, then there would not have been any Japanese anywhere, and so the problem would be solved. Surely, you are not suggesting that Evernote translate your ti-tles into English for you :)

I think the real problem here is the ti-tle, and this is what you mean by "wrapping" the content in Japanese. Based on the content of the Japanese ti-tle, I am guessing that you did not create it. Evernote automatically pop-ulated the ti-tle with information. This is a new feature introduced in recent updates, and it is one that has been somewhat controversial on the forums. So, your complaint isn't so much about the Japanese in the UI (although, you do have that as a complaint, and I have responded about that above), but about the Japanese that Evernote is inserting into the note.

You can turn off the automatic ti-tling in your settings. It will still try to suggest note ti-tles based on your other notes (I have requested that the developers remove this feature), but you can just ignore the suggestions if you would like and enter your own ti-tle. For better or for worse, if you do not give any ti-tle, the note has to have something, so it will default to "Note" (ノート in your case). As long as you type in something, you can avoid having Japanese in your notes, and anything you send to someone will be free of Japanese. It would be nice if we could change the default note name, but at this point, we cannot.

Did I understand the problem correctly and explain clearly what is going on? It isn't a solution to all of your problems (Japanese UI and Japanese auto-titling), but hopefully it will give you an idea of what is happening and how you can work around it.

Put simply, my daytime job is to analyze software - my past includes being the CTO for a few software firms - so, yes, I know how to work around implementations arising from uninformed use cases. Trying to help you understand actual use cases.

Why po-p-u-late Evernote with rubbish that I don't need? This Apple trend is disturbing enough without developers doing their darnedest to be "helpful" - you're not.

Give me an in-app setting to give me control over the language used in the app - clear enough?

PS - getting really tired of this idiotic web site - what is wrong with the word p-o-p-u-late? This is clearly run by children... BTW, can I get a refund for Evernote?

• Level 5*

[EDIT]

THE SCREENSHOT

Put simply, my daytime job is to analyze software - my past includes being the CTO for a few software firms - so, yes, I know how to work around implementations arising from uninformed use cases. Trying to help you understand actual use cases.

Why po-p-u-late Evernote with rubbish that I don't need? This Apple trend is disturbing enough without developers doing their darnedest to be "helpful" - you're not.

Give me an in-app setting to give me control over the language used in the app - clear enough?

PS - getting really tired of this idiotic web site - what is wrong with the word p-o-p-u-late? This is clearly run by children... BTW, can I get a refund for Evernote?

Hi. Sorry that you didn't find my response helpful.

I don't work at Evernote. I am not a developer (of anything public, at least). I am just a user. However, employees regularly read the forums, and I am sure they will appreciate the feedback. The forum is experiencing a few bugs after an update, and they are working on it. As for a refund, the software is free, but if you are a Premium member, you can contact them and request one (see the link in my signature).

機嫌の悪いサル would be a more normal way in J-a-p-anese to write "grumpy monkey" - your sig is too kanji-dense - might make more sense to write that way in Chinese

Hi. I guess I missed your two posts. I edited my last one with an answer to your email/posts. Does this help?

As for my the kanji in my *****le, I am in a quandary there. It is dense with kanji now, so it is understandable by both Japanese and Chinese speakers. Alternatively, ご機嫌斜め could be used, but it sounds a bit too cute. I'll give your suggestion some thought. Or, maybe I should get rid of the Japanese entirely :)

ヒント: 日本人に対して、きみが使っているSIGは読みづらいだろ。どう見ても中国語の使いすぎ。

• Level 5*

http://discussion.ev...ed/#entry145323

ヒント: 日本人に対して、きみが使っているSIGは読みづらいだろ。どう見ても中国語の使いすぎ。

Thanks again for the comments on my t-itle (不機嫌な猿). I appreciate it.

I don't think any native Japanese speaker would likely come up with my phrase, because I doubt they would be calling themselves grumpy monkeys, but I've had native speakers confirm that the meaning is perfectly clear, grammatically correct, and so forth. I disagree that it is difficult for Japanese speakers to read, but I will ask around some more.

As for using too much Chinese language (中国語), I actually am not using any in my t-itlle or in the signature, so I am not sure what you are suggesting there. However, it is my hope that Chinese speakers would get the gist of what I am saying there as well, so in this case, the t-itlle does double-duty :)

At any rate, it is probably best to take this conversation to private messages, especially if we are going to use languages other than English.

• 1 month later...

Back to the original topic, I use Evernote on the iPad and iPhone mainly and it is very frustrating the lack of font control. When you paste text from the web or other apps into Evernote the result is a mess of formats that makes difficult to read the note afterwards.

Font control will solve the mentioned issue and garantee that you can reset the font style to something suitable to you.

An option to totally strip the pasted text from all the formatting leaving it only as pain text would be also really helpful.

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Back to the original topic, I use Evernote on the iPad and iPhone mainly and it is very frustrating the lack of font control. When you paste text from the web or other apps into Evernote the result is a mess of formats that makes difficult to read the note afterwards.

Font control will solve the mentioned issue and garantee that you can reset the font style to something suitable to you.

An option to totally strip the pasted text from all the formatting leaving it only as pain text would be also really helpful.

Thanks.

Hi. I think font control will eventually come, but for now I think the best option is to run the copied text through a plain text app like PlainText or Simplenote before pasting into Evernote. And, of course, I'd like to see a plain text option in Evernote someday too :)

It's on my wish list ()!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I love that during the reply to this thread, I am given the option of choosing my font and size.

I find it ridiculous that this topic has been open for a year and a half (and other threads longer) without any resolution. Forget the use case of "my eyes can't see that small," what about those of us who want to take notes and be able to easily increase/decrease font-size in order to have the notes formatted properly? I don't want to have to go to my laptop after the fact and then reformat my notes.

I'm not even asking for the ability to pick the font size anymore. Just a + and -. Is that so much?

I tried hitting the Evernote website from the browser on my iPad/iPhone and what a nightmare that is. The website is absolutely NOT meant for touch devices. You will completely mess up your notes if you don't realize this and attempt to do something foolish, like scroll.

I love Evernote and have used it for a long time, but the mobile presence is a disgrace. I would rather not find an alternative. Please don't force me to.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

This still isn't available on the iPad.

When pasting things from the net, my notes get deformed. Margins change, font changes, making it impossible for me to carry on with writing my notes bellow the pasted notes!

This still isn't available on the iPad.

When pasting things from the net, my notes get deformed. Margins change, font changes, making it impossible for me to carry on with writing my notes bellow the pasted notes!

You can always select "simplify formatting" after pasting on the iPad. Even on the desktop, material pasted from the net has a tendency to wreak havoc on existing and subsequent material because of the HTML that has come along for the ride. Simplify formatting is usually the best way to solve this, though the price paid is that all the fancy formatting is... well, simplified. 

• Level 5*

Indeed. Simplify formatting is the way to go (here are instructions).

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=1840

If you want to keep the formatting in a note while pasting in new stuff, open the new note, simplify what is there, and then copy / paste out of that into the existing note. It is a pain, but it works well enough. Personally, I almost always go plain text.

• 1 year later...

The lack of control of font and size in the Evernote iOS app makes the app nearly useless for me. :(

I suspect the lack of user control of fonts is a deliberate decision on the part of Evernote. They want total control of the user experience, much like Apple has done in the past. I believe this because people have been complaining about the small font in IOS for years, and judging from the many note apps available today, it isn't that big a deal to add some user control of fonts, or at the very least, to follow the IOS system 'Dynamic Type' and Accessibility settings.

To not even honor the system wide Accessibility text settings seems like pretty poor judgement on Evernote's part. 

Archived