evernote iOS font color

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Phil,

Color is important.

We all know that colors in notes (in general, not only Evernote) is a key issue, because it helps to highlight some type of information (importance, to do, etc...). A tool like evernote whose name explicitely enhance its use to take notes cannot say that it has no color capability like you did it, suggesting that this is of poor importance (I know that the words you wrote say "at this moment". But the tone of your whole sentence do not say the same thing)

It is so important that other versions of evernote have this capability.

Besides that, I have several software on my ipad allowing colored fonts. This limit cannot be a technical one !

Today, I am using iDo bloc-note just to have a word in color, than copy it and go back in evernote to paste it : not really efficient !

I thought that it was a temporary situation and that in the future Evernote Company would add this feature on the Ipad version (with word cont, font control and some other things that exist on evernote with other platforms). But your answer suggest that it would never be the case.

I' ve stopped to survey notes software after I begun to work with evernote. But if you confirm that Evernote considers that it is of poor importance and that it would not come, I think that I have to continue to try to find an efficient tool to take notes.

On the web, I can change the color of the text but I cannot give the text a colored background.

On the iPhone app, I cannot change the color of text but I can give the text a colored background.

There are other things that are aggravatingly inconsistent between the web, iPhone app and the Mac OS app.

This lack of consistency between platforms seems unprofessional for a company that has some of the most professional marketing I've ever seen.

I think Apple has reflected the desires of users as they've continued to bring all their interfaces into conformity.

I also think that Evernote would benefit by more communication and consistency between their developers of different platforms.

When a user gets used to a feature on one platform, they want to (and should be able to) find the same feature with the same functionality in the same place on any other platform.

To do less is to do its users a disservice.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also finding the inconsistency between versions frustrating. I started to highlight outstanding actions by using the highlighting tool but I started to use the system on the web and that is not possible. So I started colouring outstanding actions by using a different colour font but that's not possible on the iPad. I can't find any clear way that works consistently on every system. I desperately want the iPad version and web version to look and work more like the mac version. I love Evernote on the Mac but the iPad version is a real pain in the neck to work with.

This coming semester I will be using Evernote as part of a trial where we lend students iPads; the idea is for them to use Evernote for collaboration, among other things. For collaborative text production the ability to use different colours seems quite essential, otherwise who is to know who wrote what?

I second what everyone in this thread has been saying. Can we please get greater consistency between the different versions of Evernote for different platforms? Starting with having the ability to change text colour in the iPad app would be a great addition! Please ...

• Level 5*

Explanations would be nice, and I love hearing them, but in the end, the app is what it is (or, maybe I should say, they are what they are), and no amount of explaining will change that! So, we have to work with what we've got, and right now font colors/background colors are not elements you'll want to depend upon across all of the clients, because it isn't quite ready yet on some of them. Evernote also doesn't generally talk about their roadmap, so you are unlikely to get a timeline for feature parity.

More to the point, I doubt there will ever be "exact" matches, because the developers are leveraging the platforms to create apps that take advantage of unique capabilities in each operating system. I think we all hope and expect that there will be more feature parity on core elements, and I am sure that font style, size, color, and so forth are on that list. I get the impression that developers are very aware of what other teams are doing, but for various reasons, they all have different roadmaps.

• Level 5*

This coming semester I will be using Evernote as part of a trial where we lend students iPads; the idea is for them to use Evernote for collaboration, among other things. For collaborative text production the ability to use different colours seems quite essential, otherwise who is to know who wrote what?

I second what everyone in this thread has been saying. Can we please get greater consistency between the different versions of Evernote for different platforms? Starting with having the ability to change text colour in the iPad app would be a great addition! Please ...

If you are thinking about using Evernote for a collaborative project, then I would imagine font colour to be fairly low down the list f issues you are going to have. I suggest you do a decent amount of due diligence.

• 4 weeks later...

A sort of work around to get some colored text into EN... you will notice that if you create a note with colored text on a Desktop version (for me that's a mac) that colored text does show on the ipad (you just can't edit it, say from blue to red). But you can copy a piece of that text and paste it elsewhere in the note and it will retain it's color information you can continue to type in the same color. For example, it my note is generally 'black', but I have created 'blue' text on my desktop in the word 'iPAD'. If I copy the blue 'iPAD' elsewhere in the note, I can continue to type in blue immediately after the 'iPAD'... so I type 'Macs Rule'... it shows in blue, and then just delete 'iPad'. A little bit clunky, but workable.

There are a few colors that I would like to have and use regularly, blue, red, green,... create a word in a special note that has a letter in different colors, copy that word from your special 'feeder' note and then you can type in different colors on your ipad.

Not perfect, but do-able.

hope this helps a few of you.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 90 students using Evernote to take and share notes in class on iPads and really want them to be able to use different colors for text and highlighting!

I like the workaround above, but it is clearly a workaround, not the ideal way to complete this process.

Is there a better place to make feature suggestions, or does this cover it?

• 1 year later...

I just downloaded EN to try out for the first time after all the hype. No font color? I'm shocked. This was over before it started for me. All the things that EN brags it can do and you don't offer iOS font colors? That's so basic that it is laughable. I'd be embarrassed if I were you. NAB, I'm coming back home.

• 4 months later...

Hey Evernote Product Dev Managers- what gives?  So many things are awesome, and you've created a very useful app ... but I see comments on (lack of) font color on iOS dating back to early 2012.  Font color is important and is not regarded as rocket science.  I have to believe your mobile app dev team is "agile", right?  Show us some love and agility here and cut them loose on adding font color to the iOS and Android versions and you will make a lot of customers happier than they are.  I suspect they could knock it out in a short sprint if you would let them have at it.

Thanks

Archived