We need handwriting in Evernote for iPhone.

• Level 5*

? what and why ?

assuming you mean that evernote should incorporate a handwriting feature into evernote for the iphone, i would suggest that you try another app and send the data to evernote from it. i hope that evernote doesn't waste their time trying to do what others do already, and if they do, i hope they will keep the app separate as a standalone one. i don't want to see another new feature introduce bugs into the main app.

anyhow, it is a suggestion others have made before in the forums. you are certainly not alone. i do hope you can add more information to your request, though. one sentence is so short :D

? what and why ?

assuming you mean that evernote should incorporate a handwriting feature into evernote for the iphone, i would suggest that you try another app and send the data to evernote from it. i hope that evernote doesn't waste their time trying to do what others do already, and if they do, i hope they will keep the app separate as a standalone one. i don't want to see another new feature introduce bugs into the main app.

anyhow, it is a suggestion others have made before in the forums. you are certainly not alone. i do hope you can add more information to your request, though. one sentence is so short :wacko:

Evernote is perfect for you, which needs no updates and patches.

• Level 5*

? what and why ?

anyhow, it is a suggestion others have made before in the forums. you are certainly not alone. i do hope you can add more information to your request, though. one sentence is so short :wacko:

Evernote is perfect for you, which needs no updates and patches.

Nope. I've posted literally hundreds of posts complaining about current features. And, I've made some suggestions for improvements. Although your suggestion is appreciated, personally, I think Evernote should avoid trying to replicate features that others do a really great job with, like handwriting. Perhaps a very basic one would be OK, but pouring a lot of effort into something like this seems like time that could be better spent improving the features on the current app. Concretely speaking, the app doesn't even allow us to change the font or text size. This seems so much more of a priority to me.

? what and why ?

assuming you mean that evernote should incorporate a handwriting feature into evernote for the iphone, i would suggest that you try another app and send the data to evernote from it. i hope that evernote doesn't waste their time trying to do what others do already, and if they do, i hope they will keep the app separate as a standalone one. i don't want to see another new feature introduce bugs into the main f app.

anyhow, it is a suggestion others have made before in the forums. you are certainly not alone. i do hope you can add more information to your request, though. one sentence is so short :)

You suggest this user find another app?! Really?

One of Evernote's original features was handwriting recognition; that's not an added feature to Evernote per se. And as for the ipad, tablets are ideal for ink notes.

So if you don't like that, maybe you would like to go look for another notes app - one that is not designed for ink notes.

Thanks!

Jim

One of Evernote's original features was handwriting recognition;

If you read the post I linked to above, the only (I repeat, only), EN client that includes ink notes is the Windows client. And it's very, very basic & I suspect simply an artifact from the now defunct, Windows only, payware version of Evernote, that was the precursor to the Evernote service we know & love today. I'd take that to mean they are not planning on incorporating ink notes, at least any time soon.

And, BTW, there's not a darned thing wrong with suggesting third party apps - that's pretty much what EN does anyway. This way, they don't have to reinvent the wheel.

• Level 5*

? what and why ?

assuming you mean that evernote should incorporate a handwriting feature into evernote for the iphone, i would suggest that you try another app and send the data to evernote from it. i hope that evernote doesn't waste their time trying to do what others do already, and if they do, i hope they will keep the app separate as a standalone one. i don't want to see another new feature introduce bugs into the main f app.

anyhow, it is a suggestion others have made before in the forums. you are certainly not alone. i do hope you can add more information to your request, though. one sentence is so short :(

One of Evernote's original features was handwriting recognition; that's not an added feature to Evernote per se. And as for the ipad, tablets are ideal for ink notes.

So if you don't like that, maybe you would like to go look for another notes app - one that is not designed for ink notes.

Thanks!

Jim

Yes (so did the evernote employees in this thread). I often suggest other apps, especially ones that Evernote created. They have several, and rather than bundle everything together under one, they release them separately. I think that is a good idea. Apparently you don't. That's cool. We'll have to agree to disagree.

As for handwriting recognition, that is a world away from writing with your hand. These are totally different activities, as evidenced by the lack of handwriting recognition in apps (see link below). Sort of like the difference between recording your voice and turning speech into text.

Many handwriting apps for the iPad are Evernote friendly. Here is a review of some.

http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/handwriting.html

I wouldn't be surprised if such apps existed for the iphone as well (i haven't tried any yet).

Skitch *is* an Evernote application, and syncs right to your Evernote account.

So, yes, we're telling you to use the app we designed for you specifically for that purpose :)

Yes, correct. I know at least in my case, since I've known about Skitch for a year or so, I still rather think of it as a third party app, even though it is now part of Evernote.

Maybe y'all could acquire Jungle Disk to satisfy the users who regularly complain about security/encryption...

• 4 months later...

Yes, yes, yes! I take hand written notes in Noteshelf which is great, but doesn't sync like Evernote. And if I send it to Evernote I can't update, add to or modify that handwritten note, and have it sync.

PLEASE, add hand writing to this great tool. It would be my one ultimate solution for notes.

Thanks, -M. Miller

• Level 5*

Yes, yes, yes! I take hand written notes in Noteshelf which is great, but doesn't sync like Evernote. And if I send it to Evernote I can't update, add to or modify that handwritten note, and have it sync.

PLEASE, add hand writing to this great tool. It would be my one ultimate solution for notes.

Thanks, -M. Miller

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

I agree that it would be great if we could easily update a note and save it back into Evernote. It isn't something I normally do, because I prefer to just make a separate note and link them to one another if needed, but options are always good. Ideally, I hope we can have third-party [EDIT: apps outside of the main Evernote app] writing apps (Penultimate? Skitch?) integrate well with Evernote. It really would be a step forward to have this kind of functionality.

• 4 months later...

Everyone,

With the launch of Samsung's Note 2, it would appear there is a market for a note taking application on smartphones/tablets using stylus devices. Yes, Steve Jobs may have been wrong about something.

While there are other apps for writing and drawing available, Evernote does not have a simple handwriting application integrated in the existing clients. My argument is that Evernote has every method of data entry (voice, email, clipper, text, etc) but NO handwriting in the core application. This to me is the essential "note taking" solution and I would challenge our Evernote developers to create a simple note taking feature within Evernote for all platforms. Handwriting is the "last mile" for note taking and becoming increasingly possible on all platforms.

Remember that Palm (and others) developed this technology more than ten years ago and it worked well enough. Samsung has brought the stylus back in vogue and it's time that Evernote accepts the challenge (and its a big one) of handwriting in the Evernote client.

Everyone,

With the launch of Samsung's Note 2, it would appear there is a market for a note taking application on smartphones/tablets using stylus devices. Yes, Steve Jobs may have been wrong about something.

While there are other apps for writing and drawing available, Evernote does not have a simple handwriting application integrated in the existing clients. My argument is that Evernote has every method of data entry (voice, email, clipper, text, etc) but NO handwriting in the core application. This to me is the essential "note taking" solution and I would challenge our Evernote developers to create a simple note taking feature within Evernote for all platforms. Handwriting is the "last mile" for note taking and becoming increasingly possible on all platforms.

Remember that Palm (and others) developed this technology more than ten years ago and it worked well enough. Samsung has brought the stylus back in vogue and it's time that Evernote accepts the challenge (and its a big one) of handwriting in the Evernote client.

As has already been mentioned, it's doubtful based upon history as well as the acquisition of Penultimate. And IMO, EN needs to focus in doing what the iOS EN app already does but a lot faster () rather than adding new features.

• 7 months later...

I am sorta suprised at this feature left out.  I understand there are option for 'sister' apps.  More focused development, etc.  This feature i think causes a slight failure in evernote.  Skitch, maybe im miseducated, does not allow me to annotate an existing note, only screenshots, files.  Im on the MAC platform, not iOS, so Pen.. doesnt work for me.

Im not asking for the world, simple pen tool w/ some width and color possibilites works.  Im in classes where math and such are used and would be awesome to be able to simply scribble such things in my current notes.  Not have to use some other app.  Seems counterproductive to me - bouncing between interfaces for a single idea?

Skitch, Penultimate are great for their respective expertise, but any note taking app should allow me to 'doodle' or scribble.  Skitch has its expertise, but its not the same functionality, Penutlimate is great (assuming, never used it) but isnt avialable on desktop solutions.

If there is a MAC solution out there let me know.  Ill give it a whirl.

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

? what and why ?

anyhow, it is a suggestion others have made before in the forums. you are certainly not alone. i do hope you can add more information to your request, though. one sentence is so short sad.png

Let's see, Evernote just release handwriting for Android when Galaxy Note devices already have handwriting.  Hey, Grumpy, get your facts straight!

• Level 5*

? what and why ?

anyhow, it is a suggestion others have made before in the forums. you are certainly not alone. i do hope you can add more information to your request, though. one sentence is so short sad.png

Let's see, Evernote just release handwriting for Android when Galaxy Note devices already have handwriting.  Hey, Grumpy, get your facts straight!

i'm not sure i understand your criticism, because my post from 2012 was almost entirely my opinion based on no facts at all. the only "fact" i mentioned was that others had previously made this suggestion.

Archived