Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

Windows Client not updating Properly

evernote

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 GordonS

GordonS

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

Yesterday I uploaded a set of 225 PDF files into my Evernote account using the Send to feature of Windows Explorer. Once I saw them in the default notebook using the Windows client (4.5.2.5904) I gave them a common tag and moved them into the appropriate notebook. When I went to view them today using the web client, there were still 10 notes showing as being in the default notebook, and all 225 notes had not received the tag.

I closed the web client and opened the Windows client. All of the notes showed in the appropriate notebook I had moved them to yesterday and tag showed as applied to all the notes. I performed a sync, closed the Windows client and opened the web client. There were still the 10 notes in the default notebook and no tags were assigned to the 225 notes.

I opened Evernote on my iPad with the iPad client. The status was the same as the web client in Windows.

I checked my usage to see if I had bumped up against a limit, I'm still at less than half my monthly premium amount.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

#2 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Evernote Geek
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:14 PM

Is Help -> Activity Log showing any sync errors?
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)
Windows 7 SP1 & XP SP3 (EN 4.5.8.7356)
iPod Touch 2G (iOS 4.2.1, EN 4.1.9) / Blackberry Playbook (OS 2.0.1, EN 1.3)
Latest stable browsers & clippers(Chrome(default), Firefox, IE8/9)

#3 GordonS

GordonS

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:28 AM

The activity log only had content for today. There were no sync errors. Is there a way to look at activity logs from prior days?

#4 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,790 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:05 AM

You should be able to find activity log files in the Logs subdirectory under your Evernote local files directory (look at Tools / Options / Evernote Local Files setting to determine this)
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#5 GordonS

GordonS

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:22 PM

I was able to find the log for the day I did the updates. There were no sync errors listed.

Rather than spend a lot of time trying to figure out what caused this problem I decided to use a little brute force. I've come to appreciate this approach having spent decades in IT development and support. The curious/engineer part of me wants to figure out a root cause. The practical part of me wants to fix the issue and get on with more productive activities.

All that said, here's what I did using the Windows client:
  • I tagged and moved what it thought was the contents of the default notebook to the desired notebooks to give me an empty default notebook. Then used a filter on the tag in question and multiple select to move all the upload notes in question back to the default notebook. I synced with the server, closed the Windows client, opened the web client and confirmed that the same set of notes were in the default notebook. I closed the web client and reopened the Windows client.
  • Next I deleted the tag I had applied, recreated it and again used multiple select to assign that tag to all the notes in the default notebook. I synced with the server, closed the Windows client, opened the web client and confirmed that the set of notes in the default notebook now had the tag. I closed the web client and reopened the Windows client.
  • Lastly, I then moved all the notes in the default notebook to the desired notebook. I synced with the server, closed the Windows client, opened the web client and confirmed that the set of notes in the default notebook had been moved to the desired notebook and had the desired tag.
My best guess at root cause is that I originally didn't wait long enough for the Windows client to complete its sync before closing it. I've also discovered that unlike the Windows client, the web client only allows multiple select one note at a time using ctrl+click. When you're looking at over 200 notes that gets pretty tedious. Fortunately I was able to use the Windows client to do the corrections. It supports shift+click for contiguous multiple select as well as ctrl+A to select everything.

I want to share these details in hopes that it will help others should they encounter the same problem.

#6 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:32 PM

Yep. Sounds like that the notes were not marked as needing sync. (No bullet in the sync column in List view)
If you run into that problem again you can force sync needed by using Assign Tags twice to:
- Add a dummy tag to the notes
- Remove the dummy tag

DIIK how the condition was created.

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)

#7 elwood1229

elwood1229

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

I am having a similar issue. I have Evernote on three devices (Windows XP computer, android tablet, android phone). The Evernote website, tablet and phone all show I have 180 notes. The Windows client shows I have 86. I have tried everything to force it to resync the missing notes but it will not do it. New notes seems to sync fine but not existing notes. I have tried the methods above as best I understand them. For instance, I have tried creating a new tag on missing notes, moving notes from one notebook to another, moving notebooks from one stack to another and still the missing notes do not appear. As another example, according to the web site, one notebook has three notes in it but the Windows client only shows two. I moved the notebook to another stack and the web site still showed three and the Windows client showed two. I returned the notebook to the original stack with the same result. I am well under by data cap. This is disappointing and any help would be appreciated.

Elwood

#8 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:02 PM

@elwood1229

http://discussion.ev...post__p__120016

Premium User

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote