A great m-learning tool: Evernote

rtoledo

http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/blogs/rob-lewis/a-great-m-learning-tool-evernote

For me it's become a way of organising my Polish language learning. I like the tags function, which means if I take a photo or record a friend asking for something in a restuarant, I just tag it 'restuarant' and it I can later on find it when I browse through all items with that tag. It is, I think, like a modern version of vocabulary cards: I remember advising students to write things down on small cards then look at them on the bus or when they had a spare 5 mins. They can do the same much more effectively with Evernote. Try it!
  • Level 5*

great post. i also use evernote for reviewing language items, information, etc. but, i find the lack of linking between notes to be a real drawback. i want to link up notes and go from one to the next (my own personal wiki) in order to solidify connections among notes. i hope evernote will consider making this availale in ios.

also, allowing us to choose the text that goes into thumbnails, instead of giving us a screenshot, would radically improve evernote for m-learning. it would be just like flashcards (except, of course, for the very first note, which would automatically appear in the main pane).

• 1 month later...

With a growing number of schools going 1:1 with iPads, or adding iPads to their technology infrastructure, I think it would be great if we could continue to see the gap between the desktop and iPad versions of Evernote get smaller. At the moment the iPad app is more limited than the desktop version, and I for one would love to see added functionality that includes the ability to do things like move notes between notebooks, have access to URLs to share, or even have stacks, like on the Mac desktop version. Other things like being able to add files direct from the iPad Mail app would be great, or maybe some Dropbox integration?

So, I hope things like that appear soon, and I would love to hear about any experiences that teachers have had with using iPads and Evernote in the classroom.

• Level 5*

With a growing number of schools going 1:1 with iPads, or adding iPads to their technology infrastructure, I think it would be great if we could continue to see the gap between the desktop and iPad versions of Evernote get smaller. At the moment the iPad app is more limited than the desktop version, and I for one would love to see added functionality that includes the ability to do things like move notes between notebooks, have access to URLs to share, or even have stacks, like on the Mac desktop version. Other things like being able to add files direct from the iPad Mail app would be great, or maybe some Dropbox integration?

So, I hope things like that appear soon, and I would love to hear about any experiences that teachers have had with using iPads and Evernote in the classroom.

1. change notebooks. you can do this already, right? i sold my ipad, so cannot confirm this...

2. urls to share. you can do this (the twitter thing), right? i think someone posted about this before. at any rate, if it is there, it isn't easy, and needs to be made more obvious.

3. probably coming. it is on the iphone already.

4. you cannot add directly from mail on the desktop, so i doubt we'll see this on the ipad. mail forwarding works well here.

5. dropbox integration? i don't know what this would be, but i doubt it. you can, however, take a dropbox file and "open in" evernote (i think).

in general, though, i agree. the lack of functionality in the ipad app is really frustrating. basic stuff like text sizes, fonts, note links, etc. are sorely lacking.

• Level 5*

I can see a useful application here - I started a new project a couple of years ago that had more acronyms and jargon than 'real words' - certainly more than I'd ever encountered before. Apart from making conversation difficult, so much new vocabulary meant my memory kept on dropping out - I knew I had the meaning of that phrase somewhere, but "what was that again?" tended to pepper conversations. (My look-up file was a hand-written list of new phrases in order of exposure, in the back of a reporters' notebook.)

If only I'd had Evernote then I could have Noted each occurrence of a mystery reference and added translations so I could find them all quickly. It would have meant I actually understood exactly what I was getting myself into sometimes..

And Evernote has that nice audio feature - good for foreign languages so you know how to pronounce "Mxyztplk" when you need to.

Archived