Ability to resize images

Krit

Idea

File this probably under "feature requests" because I'm fairly certain this isn't possible right now.

Can we get a method of easily and quickly resizing images inserted into notes with simple drag edges-resizing seen in most apps?

As a student I work with a lot of flow charts and images and it always annoys me when I have to insert a massive one that shrouds all the text in the documents. Makes the whole thing look clumsy and out of proportion.

• Like 6

• Level 5*

Why is this taking so long to update on windows? Are windows users not a valuable asset to your company's success??

Of course they are. However, not being able to resize an image directly in a note is apparently not a critical feature for all Windows users.

Not really certain to whom that is apparent.  It certainly is not apparent to me.

The feature where you can take a picture of a receipt in the docs option, upon printing out it takes two 8.5 x 11 pages to print a gas receipt.

It is apparent to me that most people just accept the limitations of evernote and do not complain.

It's apparent because there are lots of Windows users who continue to use Evernote. And those users for who do need to resize their images can do so using an external program, which is more inconvenient, but not necessarily fatally so. It's never bothered me, for one. If it's true that "most people accept the limitations and do not complain", then that just reinforces the idea that it's not a critical feature for those users. That's not to say that it's not a critical feature for all Windows users, just not all (and I suspect not even a majority) of them. It's also not to say that being able to resize an image directly in Evernote wouldn't a good thing.

There are probably few features that would be considered critical enough to stop using evernote, except maybe syncing and lost data.

All other features will add up to either continuing to use the program in spite of the issues, or not using the program because of the issues.

It is more of a cumulative effect than a single effect.  Most likely true of windows users, of course there would be exceptions for people that tried to use evernote for a specific purpose for which it does not work.

This is critical to my not using certain features, I will not use the doc feature, will not use to take pictures of products to be printed later, will not take pics of serial and model number plates to keep in evernote.

• Level 5*

There are probably few features that would be considered critical enough to stop using evernote, except maybe syncing and lost data.

All other features will add up to either continuing to use the program in spite of the issues, or not using the program because of the issues.

It is more of a cumulative effect than a single effect.  Most likely true of windows users, of course there would be exceptions for people that tried to use evernote for a specific purpose for which it does not work.

This is critical to my not using certain features, I will not use the doc feature, will not use to take pictures of products to be printed later, will not take pics of serial and model number plates to keep in evernote.

Just to make sure, you do know that you can resize an image using an external editor, even MS Paint, right? I understand that it's not as convenient, but it does work, in much the same way as you would use an external editor on any attachment.

I own a marketing company, so we know how to manipulate graphics, that in my mind is not the issue.

What a pain to move out of a program into another and back out again, when most programs today allow you to resize the graphic without work arounds.

I own a marketing company, so we know how to manipulate graphics, that in my mind is not the issue.

What a pain to move out of a program into another and back out again, when most programs today allow you to resize the graphic without work arounds.

It is a pain. Why use two progs when you can just use one? But apparently you only need one if you have a mac and two if you have windows because it is apparent according to Evernote that windows users don't need that feature. 

fastever snap lets you resize images smaller on IOS, but I'm curious does anyone know of an IOS app that allows bulk selection of photos already in camera roll, then bulk downsize, then bulk send to Evernote? Cheers

I haven't read through this entire forum...I'm researching an issue about emailing notes with images whereby the images are so large it's impossible to see them, print the email etc...there's virtually no good way for someone to read an emailed note that includes a lot of images due to this size problem.   This is using EV ios for the original note's creation and having the camera image size in Settings set to Small.

But I saw bounce's bulk edit in ios question and I have a great app I use for that.  It's called OneEdit Pro it's $2.99.  You can batch crop, scale and resize as well as add borders, text and watermarks.  I use it all the time for rescaling images for my website's.  It has a few quirks...one being that it may tell you an operation has failed to execute...but in fact it really has!  I've not yet run into any actual bugs...just a few misleading error messages.  If you do a lot of Image processing it's the best I've found and definitely worth the $2.99.  My favorite ios photo editing apps.  OneEdit Pro's Webpage.

If anyone can figure out how to email notes with a lot of images without having the image sizes appearing huge let me know!

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, vsajewel said:

But I saw bounce's bulk edit in ios question and I have a great app I use for that.  It's called OneEdit Pro it's $2.99.  You can batch crop, scale and resize as well as add borders, text and watermarks.

So, how do you use this with Evernote?  

• Can you edit the images already in Evernote?
  • Where do the batch of images reside?
  • Is there a Mac version?  That's where I do most of my content work.

+1  

Bump for the image resize feature.  This isn't "re-inventing the wheel" as one reply stated, it's basic/core functionality that almost all WYSIWYG editors have. 

Is it that hard to enable us to click an image and drag a corner to resize it?

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
9 hours ago, natv said:

Is it that hard to enable us to click an image and drag a corner to resize it?

That feature is in EN Mac as of at least Ver 6.4.  Since Evernote now has a common editor they are rolling out to all platforms, I'd expect to see it in EN Win as well.  Not sure how long this will take.

I've been using Evernote 5.9.6 for Windows, for some time now, and it has the ability to resize images. Here is a post about it

From that post: " Images can be resized directly inside of your notes. Click an image and drag the handle in the bottom right corner to resize. "

Works for me. 

It's odd that no one on the Evernote team responds to this thread to mention this.  

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, whitley said:

I've been using Evernote 5.9.6 for Windows, for some time now, and it has the ability to resize images. Here is a post about it

From that post: " Images can be resized directly inside of your notes. Click an image and drag the handle in the bottom right corner to resize. "

Works for me. 

It's odd that no one on the Evernote team responds to this thread to mention this.  

Yeah finally they figured out to resize but it is still far from perfect. Don't have editing tools like MS Word to fit right along the text. After all these years this must take 1 to 2 years for evernote to notice. I hope v6.0 will be a complete redesign or i must consider buying a Mac.

On February 12, 2016 at 8:53 PM, JMichaelTX said:

So, how do you use this with Evernote?  

• Can you edit the images already in Evernote?
  • Where do the batch of images reside?
  • Is there a Mac version?  That's where I do most of my content work.

You can't use OneEdit Pro from within Evernote.  What I do is usually save a lot of images to the camera roll (I'm almost always using an ios device) then open OneEdit and import them all into there...you just select a group of pics at one time but you can add to or remove from that batch if you want at anytime.  Then I add several editing tasks...I usually use crop, scale and add borders, but you can add watermarks, flip or rotate, apply filters...there are maybe 30 different filters, remove gps info, change to grey scale, add image overlays...there are quite a few editing functions available...and then execute all the edits with one command.  Last export them as a group back to the camera roll and add them to Evernote the normal way.  It's a few more steps but a lot faster than editing each image individually which is what I used to have to do.

Sorry I don't think there's a Mac version.

• Like 1

What an utterly miserable experience it is to resize images in Evernote (Windows 6.1.2.2292):-

I could "successfully" (and I use the word in it's vaguest manifestation) resize and rotate images. But some images in the note would not "stick". And certainly when I went to print preview it was again a mess.

Gave up...stuck them in Word, got them all sorted onto one sensible page, then stuck them back into Evernote.

Seriously...printing out a whole page just for a credit card image and then another page for a passport image?

On 7/25/2012 at 10:08 PM, stdk said:

the ability to resize, or automatically generate a thumbnail for images, is THE ONLY thing that keeps me away from Evernote. i'm a designer and we do lots of visual benchmarkings, with both local photos or websites screenshots. the need to open preview or photoshop to resize images is a huge pain in the workflow, even if i use photoshop actions, for auto-resize. it's silly. i hope evernote integrates this feature or i will change to springpad or similiar.

thks

Hi @Shane D., the auto resize feature is a really crucial one for professionals who work primarily with a lot of images in their day to day life.

Why can't we have a shortcut for resizing images in Evernote yet?

Example:

Confluence by Atlassian does a great job with sizing images to certain standard formats which I would want @EverNote to adapt asap!

They give you three standard options of small, medium and large size as you can see in the attached file.

CC: @jefito, @gazumped, @lisec, @arose10, @DTLow

What do you think?

Screenshot at Mar 09 11-47-58.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, tix said:

Why can't we have a shortcut for resizing images in Evernote yet?

?? Clicking the handle at the bottom right corner of an image to drag it to the size you want isn't simple enough??

• Level 5

IMHO we have to make a difference between

• resizing the appearance of an image, leaving the image file untouched
  • lower the images file size, by reducing its dimension and/or quality

To define the space an image takes permanently, the best way I know is to create a table with the right size and put the image into the cell. If one needs this frequently, a template can help to always use the same table size.

To reduce the size of the image file, I think the best way is to export it to an app that can do this with the best resulting quality, and store it back from there. If one makes a right click inside of EN on a picture, send it to another app from there, executes changes in the other app and close the window with the picture, my experience is that the changes are written back into EN. Caution: This will overwrite the file, changing it permanently. But I don’t see a need to replicate this inside of EN, because it is integrated very nicely.

23 minutes ago, gazumped said:

?? Clicking the handle at the bottom right corner of an image to drag it to the size you want isn't simple enough??

No it is not! I have on an average 15-20 images in a note and I can't keep playing drag handle in my profession

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, tix said:

No it is not! I have on an average 15-20 images in a note and I can't keep playing drag handle in my profession

A note editor might not be best tool for a professional requiring image features

Personally, as per @PinkElephant I use a a table to constrict image sizes.  The image dimensions are restricted to the cell size

• Level 5*

There's been no traffic on this thread for four years,  so I'd guess the 'handle' or the table processes satisfied most users over that period. Given the general lack of interest - apart from your most recent post - and the ongoing major release work that has occupied the past year or so,  it's most unlikely that Evernote could add this feature quickly - if by some coincidence it's not already being worked upon.  Before you ask,  Evernote don't usually comment on what is,  or is not,  included in current development plans.

Paying for premium features doesn't mean you get to specify what they should be adding for your personal productivity.  If this is a feature you really must have,  then I'd suggest you look around for alternative software.  But do try the table method - I don't save bare images any more - I find it much more useful to have a minimum of a two-column / one row table so I can show a picture alongside some commentary.  With larger libraries a table layout of four columns gives me a thumbnail picture collection which is easily converted into a slide show by clicking on one picture. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, tix said:

If you are paying evernote for premium features, image quick resize doesn't seem like a big ask. Check atlassian folks doing it so effortlessly.

You may think you're paying Evernote for premium features, but mostly you're not. By and large, the "premium" aspect of Evernote Premium is one of capacity (note upload capacity, larger note sizes, etc.)  rather than fancier editing features; see https://evernote.com/compare-plans. In fact, the editor is the same with respect to editing, in which I'd include image resizing. That's not to say that quick resize wouldn't be a useful feature for some number of Evernote users, but that's not really what your premium account buys you.

• Like 1

Constraining the size of the picture by using a table or 'resizing' the image in Evernote with the little arrow in the bottom does nothing for file *size*, and that's the issue (for me, anyway). I don't need huge 2 to 4 MB pictures of fridges when pasting clipboard images into my Shopping for Fridges note. Lots of pictures in the same file and it can quickly become quite large, and that effects the size of the Windows database (for those of us who like to back that up).  If Evernote offers a way to noodle with images by adding arrows and stuff,  couldn't it also offer a "resize image" option much like the small built-in Windows paint does? And by resize I mean make it smaller in terms of *size*. There are workarounds, yes, like having a dedicated capture tool that auto-resizes as you are capturing, then pasting that into Evernote. But you have to remember to use *that* program when creating the screenshot. If you forget, it's quite the noodle to open each picture within Evernote with a different program, resize, and put back.

• Level 5*
10 hours ago, lisec said:

it's quite the noodle to open each picture within Evernote with a different program, resize, and put back.

Hmmn.  Guess I got used to the way I do things - I tend to use XnView to resize pictures;  My system default is to open JPG and PNG files in that app,  and three key combinations will

• crop (if necessary) to a selected size
  • set light levels automatically
  • resize to 1080 / 680 / 340 wide and 96ppi (options are set for particular uses of mine)

Saving the processed file puts the edited image back in the note.

- I do that with most images I post from my phone,  though it is possible to crop images there too.  My desktop screen is just bigger and keyboard-convenient.

Having said which - I guess if there were an Evernote option to save pics as Original or Optimised plus a crop tool,  I'd use it...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

On the Mac, one option would be XnConvert. It can do much more, but one workflow is to change pictures in their physical size and/or quality (file size). It is build to do batch jobs, so one can place a bunch of pictures into it, and get them processed in one go.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

On the Mac, one option would be XnConvert.

This is a Windows forum.
Mac users have no problem resizing images, either display size
or actual size using the Preview app installed with the OS

• Level 5

The nice thing about XnConvert is that is does batch jobs. Preview is one by one.

Coming back to Windows, I would probably use Irfan View. It is my Swiss knife since a long time when it comes to viewing or reformatting pictures on a Windows PC. Does batch processing as well, handles even weird or outdated picture formats. And it comes for free ...

• Level 5*

None of this helps @lisec, who already knows an external editor can be used (e.g. MS Paint, Batteries IncludedTM), and wants a simple control in Evernote, or at least one added to the included Evernote image annotater.

Obviously, there's no way to do batch processing in this use case (i.e., using the Windows client), so not sure why that's relevant here.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hmmn.  Guess I got used to the way I do things - I tend to use XnView to resize pictures;  My system default is to open JPG and PNG files in that app,  and three key combinations will

• crop (if necessary) to a selected size
  • set light levels automatically
  • resize to 1080 / 680 / 340 wide and 96ppi (options are set for particular uses of mine)

Saving the processed file puts the edited image back in the note.

- I do that with most images I post from my phone,  though it is possible to crop images there too.  My desktop screen is just bigger and keyboard-convenient.

Having said which - I guess if there were an Evernote option to save pics as Original or Optimised plus a crop tool,  I'd use it...

When I'm researching something, I either clip to Evernote, or I keep a note open and then I just Alt-C to capture any image/clip. Alt-c is just a shortcut to Faststone that saves to disc and to clipboard. I then past the clipboard immediately into Evernote. It's rote. I do it a gazillion times/day. Then I notice that the image size is like 2MB - I don't need it that big. If I notice in time, then I go back to the webpage or whatever source I'm working with and to Ctr Alt C, which is snag-it, which also saves to clipboard but 60% reduced. So I take the shot again, put it in Evernote, remembering to paste it *after* the existing image before deleting the previous image (if I forget, and I delete the original image first, Evernote hangs for about 30 sec - an old bug that was never fixed).   If I notice too late, like the next day, well, then it's right-click, open in a program, reduce, save.  All I'm saying, really, is that it would be nice to just right-click on the image and have an option that says: reduce by... and have options, like 75%, 50%, whatever.  Not the end of the world to do it the way I do, but for quick research and note taking it's just a few steps extra that I wish we didn't have to take.

• Like 1
On 4/4/2020 at 6:56 AM, jefito said:

Moving to a request forum, so go ahead and vote, y'all...

Sounds good. And where can I find this? Could you provide a link to where this is?

(I know I can probably find it by searching, but I'd rather not spend my time doing that when a link will suffice..?)

• Level 5*
2 hours ago, Vesa Vuorinen said:

Sounds good. And where can I find this? Could you provide a link to where this is?

You're posting in the discussion and the request is at the top   
The vote button is at the top left corner of the discussion

• Level 5*
11 hours ago, lisec said:

When I'm researching something, I either clip to Evernote, or I keep a note open and then I just Alt-C to capture any image/clip. Alt-c is just a shortcut to Faststone that saves to disc and to clipboard. I then past the clipboard immediately into Evernote. It's rote. I do it a gazillion times/day. Then I notice that the image size is like 2MB - I don't need it that big. If I notice in time, then I go back to the webpage or whatever source I'm working with and to Ctr Alt C, which is snag-it, which also saves to clipboard but 60% reduced. So I take the shot again, put it in Evernote, remembering to paste it *after* the existing image before deleting the previous image (if I forget, and I delete the original image first, Evernote hangs for about 30 sec - an old bug that was never fixed).   If I notice too late, like the next day, well, then it's right-click, open in a program, reduce, save.  All I'm saying, really, is that it would be nice to just right-click on the image and have an option that says: reduce by... and have options, like 75%, 50%, whatever.  Not the end of the world to do it the way I do, but for quick research and note taking it's just a few steps extra that I wish we didn't have to take.

Have you tried using the Capture screen shortcut key in EN (Tools - Options - Shortcut keys)?  Capture in conjunction with pressing CTRL puts the image on the clipboard, otherwise into its own note.  The clip below of your post is 50.6 kb.  File size depends on how dense the image is I suppose, more graphic bigger image.  FWIW.

ScreenClip.thumb.png.250a0ee4ce981add29ab5c473343b734.png

• Level 5*
17 hours ago, lisec said:

When I'm researching something, I either clip to Evernote, or I keep a note open and then I just Alt-C to capture any image/clip. Alt-c is just a shortcut to Faststone that saves to disc and to clipboard. I then past the clipboard immediately into Evernote. It's rote. I do it a gazillion times/day. Then I notice that the image size is like 2MB

This feels like it might be something you can fix in Faststone : what format are you saving to? If it's JPG or some other compressible format, then maybe you can configure its compression.

Like @CalS, I use the Evernote clipper for my screen clipping in Windows. It's secretly configurable (via registry entryL https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/26123-archived-screenshots-in-jpg/?tab=comments#comment-139638)  to use JPG or other format, rather the default of PNG. Compression is not configurable, as far as I know.

• Level 5*
14 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

@jefitoThis post was about workarounds. The only stable solution within EN I am aware of is to put a table into a note, size it, and put the images into the tables cells. Not really a burner ...

This misses the point: in the Windows Evernote application, you can make the display size larger or smaller by clicking on an image, and using the resize tool that appears (the blue rectangle: the square in the lower right corner is draggable):

image.png.bd49d07b25d33c10db5ed9e69a9efd3f.png

No tables are required for this.

However, @lisec wants the ability to make the image file size smaller, which in the Windows application (checks the forum, yep, Windows Requests) cannot be done without using an external tool. Using the tables trick does not solve this.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, jefito said:

It's secretly configurable (via registry entryL https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/26123-archived-screenshots-in-jpg/?tab=comments#comment-139638)  to use JPG or other format, rather the default of PNG.

Couldn't find this when I went to Regedit.  Did it move or am I messing up Regedit access?  And is this for clipper, capture or both?

ScreenClip.png.20f85d648a70adfbc8c224fa132d0b4a.png

EDIT.  Just checked.  Clipper screenshot saves a jpg, EN desktop capture saves a png.

• Level 5*
39 minutes ago, CalS said:

Couldn't find this when I went to Regedit.  Did it move or am I messing up Regedit access?  And is this for clipper, capture or both?

This is for the screen cap. You have to add the entry to the registry to change format, otherwise it defaults to PNG (I tested this by renaming the entry to "xScreenClipperFileName"). I don't know what it does if you renamed the filename to have an extension other than .jpg or .png. Exercise left for the reader.

I don't know whether you can change the web clipper's image format type.

3 hours ago, jefito said:

This feels like it might be something you can fix in Faststone : what format are you saving to? If it's JPG or some other compressible format, then maybe you can configure its compression.

Like @CalS, I use the Evernote clipper for my screen clipping in Windows. It's secretly configurable (via registry entryL https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/26123-archived-screenshots-in-jpg/?tab=comments#comment-139638)  to use JPG or other format, rather the default of PNG. Compression is not configurable, as far as I know.

Now I remember the issue. Maybe I can do it with faststone, but the program only allows me one keyboard shortcut, so I reserve it for 'bigger' images (for work). I could probably create an AutoHotkey, but it's not worth the bother, because snag-it does the 'smaller' picture just fine. Come to think of it I think I have yet another shortcut for Evernote's native screen capture as well, but I've got so many keyboard shortcuts on the go now that I'm this close to having to ask Google or Alexa what my shortcuts are!

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, CalS said:

Have you tried using the Capture screen shortcut key in EN (Tools - Options - Shortcut keys)?  Capture in conjunction with pressing CTRL puts the image on the clipboard, otherwise into its own note.  The clip below of your post is 50.6 kb.  File size depends on how dense the image is I suppose, more graphic bigger image.  FWIW.

I have, and I do use it sometimes, although accidentally, when I hit the wrong shortcut for my other programs!  It doesn't resize though.  I don't remember how I set up snag-it to do it, but it's perfect for taking screenshots and auto-resizing. It pastes the smaller image, and a smaller image of web junk like fridges or recipes makes Lise a happy camper.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, jefito said:

This is for the screen cap. You have to add the entry to the registry to change format, otherwise it defaults to PNG (I tested this by renaming the entry to "xScreenClipperFileName"). I don't know what it does if you renamed the filename to have an extension other than .jpg or .png. Exercise left for the reader.

I don't know whether you can change the web clipper's image format type.

Thanks for the detail.  Still not dancing for me, made the change but still get a png.  Logged out, cycled the machine the whole bit.  Not a biggie, I don't need to have a jpg vs a png all that often.

ScreenClip.png.af006b3f7959dfb3fb4791206f519792.png

21 hours ago, DTLow said:

You're posting in the discussion and the request is at the top   
The vote button is at the top left corner of the discussion

Great! Found it easily with this pointer and gave my upvote.

There are only two upvotes currently on this so it might not be evident to others how to do the upvote. I saw in the comments some +1, so I'll share a quick screenshot where to vote (as DTLow helpfully instructed).

Another question that came to my mind (looking at the top of the page, which is in the screenshot) is that this idea seems to be in the "Evernote for Windows" -category/forum. I mostly use Evernote on my Mac. Is it redundant to have this same idea in the Mac -category/forum?

Screenshot 2020-04-06 at 11.23.35.png

• Level 5*
8 hours ago, CalS said:

Thanks for the detail.  Still not dancing for me, made the change but still get a png.  Logged out, cycled the machine the whole bit.  Not a biggie, I don't need to have a jpg vs a png all that often.

Weird: I had the key already existing in the registry, and I tried changing its value's extension to .png and back to .jpg, renaming the key and deleting it altogether (to test the default), changing the case of filename from "ScreenClip.jpg" to "Screenclip.jpg"  etc, all without exiting/restarting Evernote, and it all worked fine on the fly.

Clueless...

• Level 5*
12 hours ago, lisec said:

Come to think of it I think I have yet another shortcut for Evernote's native screen capture as well, but I've got so many keyboard shortcuts on the go now that I'm this close to having to ask Google or Alexa what my shortcuts are!

I heard that there's some program out there that can help you collect random bits of information like keyboard shortcuts, names of good beers, etc. so that you can find them easily. I wish I could remember the name of that program....

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
6 hours ago, Vesa Vuorinen said:

Another question that came to my mind (looking at the top of the page, which is in the screenshot) is that this idea seems to be in the "Evernote for Windows" -category/forum. I mostly use Evernote on my Mac. Is it redundant to have this same idea in the Mac -category/forum?

Yes and no. But mostly no, in my opinion. Since this is a lengthy thread, there's a fair bit of Windows-specific information included here that would never apply to the Mac. Seems fair to search for the same topic in the Mac-specific request forum and add to it (or create a new one if it's not there already). We can merge topics if they're deemed to be redundant, and moved to the General section.