Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
iOS

Opening Documents on the iPad

evernote

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rathanel

Rathanel

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:20 PM

I'm fairly new to the iOS platform in general, so perhaps this is merely a newbie thing, but...

I normally store longer documents as .odt files in Evernote to take advantage of the editing capabilities Open Office offers. I want to open those files on the iPad in order to continue editing them, but I'm having trouble doing so.

How do I go about that?

Is it a software issue, in that I need to buy a program for the iPad that supports .odt files? Do I need to use a different format that Evernote / iPad will support?

Is it possible to open documents in that manner on the iPad at all?

Thanks,
Rathanel

#2 Metrodon

Metrodon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Bankrobber
  • 4,785 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

Is it a software issue, in that I need to buy a program for the iPad that supports .odt files? Do I need to use a different format that Evernote / iPad will support?

I'm pretty sure that iOS doesn't support .odt out the box so you will need an app that can open that format. Even then I'm not sure whether you will be able to edit or not....

#3 anjoschu

anjoschu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 249 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

It is possible on iOS to open an attachment from one app (Evernote) in another app (some editor), but unfortunately it is impossible to just "save the attachment back" to the original app.

There is/are, however, editor(s) which integrate with the Evernote API (and connect directly with the Evernote servers, not your local Evernote app). In those apps, you can select a note attachment (from the Evernote service), edit it on your iOS device, and save it right back to the Evernote service, so that, once your local Evernote app syncs for the next time, you've got your changes right in there. QuickOffice Pro/HD does this, for example (it only supports MS Office formats, however).

Alas, I'm unaware of any app which supports both Evernote integration AND OpenOffice, or any OpenOffice supporting app, for that matter.

Edit: link to an Evernote blog article on QuickOffice: Trunk Spotlight: Quickoffice Pro HD Lets You Do ... - Evernote Blogcast

#4 Rathanel

Rathanel

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:00 AM

QuickOffice does what I was looking for. Just have to save the OpenOffice documents in .doc rather than .odt.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote