Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

(mass) import & conversion of Word documents

evernote

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 eda

eda

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:25 AM

I am considering evernote for my purposes (premium). I have a big number of simple word docs that I would like to have converted to notes. Formatting is not an issue. But attaching files is not enough, I actually want to have the textual content of each word doc in an individual note.

Is this possible, is there tooling support for this? Does not necessarily have to be direct, maybe using a different format in between.

Thanks for the help

#2 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• Title: 不機嫌な猿
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 10,211 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:33 AM

i don't understand. but, maybe you mean you have a lot of word documents you want to put into evernote, but you don't want them as word attachments. you want each one to be transformed from word into a text note.

copy and paste is one way. saving all of the documents as text files and uploading them is another. i don't know an easier way, though. if it is less than 100 orso, copy and paste couldn't take too long, right?

#3 eda

eda

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:43 AM

It is exactly as you described.
So uploading a text document adds it into the note as opposed to attaching it as a file?

#4 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,211 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:58 AM

i see.

i had about 2,000 notes to import last summer in various formats. i saved them as text files (if they weren't already) on my hard drive, selected them all, and dragged them into a folder in evernote. it was easy. that worked on the mac, though, and ii hear windows would turn all of that into one massive note. so, i think you need to "import" them on a windows machine. either way, it is painless once they are in text form.

if they are not in text, evernote sees a special format and attaches it to a note. it doesn't convert from different formats. text it turns directly into a note (as far as i can tell). a few tests on your machine should confirm this.

#5 eda

eda

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:01 AM

Thanks, will give it a try.

#6 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,211 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:11 AM

good luck!

#7 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Evernote Geek
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:00 AM

Hmmm. This has to be a solved problem. Quick search showed several possible options.

Which version of Windows and Microsoft Office are you using?

I assume that what you want to achieve is searchable and editable text in the note.

I'll take another look in the morning (it's 3am here).
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)
Windows 7 SP1 & XP SP3 (EN 4.5.8.7356)
iPod Touch 2G (iOS 4.2.1, EN 4.1.9) / Blackberry Playbook (OS 2.0.1, EN 1.3)
Latest stable browsers & clippers(Chrome(default), Firefox, IE8/9)

#8 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Evernote Geek
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:19 PM

Did a more detailed review of existing tools. Found this:

Ultra Document To Text Converter converts PDF, Rich text (*.RTF), Word document (*.DOC, *.DOCX), Powerpoint file (*.PPT, *.PPTX), Excel spreadsheet (*.XLS, *.XLSX), Web pages (*.HTML, *.HTM) and MHT files to text in batch. You don't need to have PDF reader or Office application installed. Just add the PDF, RTF, DOC, DOCX, PPT, PPTX, XLS, XLSX, HTML and MHT files to the list and click "Convert" button. The text will be automatically extracted quickly

Free Download & Try Now Try it before purchase without any risk!

Buy Now. Get the registration code instantly. $29.95 For Single User License. $149.95 for Single Developer License (Download the demo component free)

Ultra Document To Text is the fast and affordable solution for converting PDF, RTF, DOC, DOCX, PPT, PPTX, XLS, XLSX, HTML and MHT documents into text files.

Ultra Document To Text has an easy to use UI. You can click "Add File" button to add the PDF, RTF, DOC, PPT, XLS, HTML and MHT files you want to convert or directly drag PDF, RTF, DOC, PPT, XLS, HTML and MHT files from explorer to the list. Here is a working screen shoot of Ultra Document To Text Converter:

http://www.ultrashar...t-Converter.htm

Not tested. There may be restrictions in the try before you buy version.

The converted .txt files could be moved to an Evernote watched folder tor automatic import to Evernote. Recommend that each file has a unique and meaningfull file name before moving. This filename will become the title of the imported note.
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)
Windows 7 SP1 & XP SP3 (EN 4.5.8.7356)
iPod Touch 2G (iOS 4.2.1, EN 4.1.9) / Blackberry Playbook (OS 2.0.1, EN 1.3)
Latest stable browsers & clippers(Chrome(default), Firefox, IE8/9)

#9 GrumpyMonkey

GrumpyMonkey

• 10,211 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:19 PM

That's good advice. Depending on the number of notes, I would be tempted to copy and paste each one out of Word, because I'd want to rewrite the titles (I prefer YYMMDD Keyword Keyword Keyword) and tag it appropriately. But, you may not have the time or the interest. At any rate, let us know how it goes!

#10 evernote_user

evernote_user

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:05 AM

A freeware for mass converting word to txt, (pdf to txt not free)
http://www.pdfzilla...._converter.html

Titles naming problem not solved

#11 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Explorer
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:16 AM

If you save each Word file as as PDF, you can import the PDF and show it as "Inline", meaning that the PDF will be displayed inside of the Note. And since it is a PDF, it will retain the format of the Word document.

When you import, the Note Title will be set to the file name.

There are tools available that will process Word documents into PDF in a batch process.

#12 heather

heather

• Title: Support Maven
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:22 PM

A freeware for mass converting word to txt, (pdf to txt not free)
http://www.pdfzilla...._converter.html

Titles naming problem not solved

Ahh, but it is free, until March 14th at least:

http://discussion.ev...dfs-in-batches/

Check out our Knowledgebase | View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows or iOS or Android | Check out the Getting Started Guide | Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#13 why?

why?

• Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:00 AM

although this is a windows question, should you be able to find someone with a mac computer, this is relatively simple to do out of the box.

Let me know and I'll post the procedure.

#14 jonnyd

jonnyd

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 05:49 PM

although this is a windows question, should you be able to find someone with a mac computer, this is relatively simple to do out of the box.

Let me know and I'll post the procedure.

any chance you can let us know the procedure for this....I'm on a mac and looking to do this very same thing. thanks

#15 heather

heather

• Title: Support Maven
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:25 PM

This should do it:

First:
https://discussions....tart=0&tstart=0

Then:
http://veritrope.com...desktop-folder/

Check out our Knowledgebase | View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows or iOS or Android | Check out the Getting Started Guide | Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#16 slainte

slainte

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:35 PM

I drag and drop word documents to Evernote and get a link in the note that opens the file in Word.

I right click on that link, then Paste as Text. The text shows up in the Evernote note; the link to the original is retained. Is this what you want?

#17 rogw

rogw

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

Mine is a similar issue. I have several years of a Journal I kept in MS Word. The Word Doc is a daily entry that I would like to break into individual notes in EN. I could do a copy-paste version, and that would be good enough, but each document is about 365 pages in length and I have about 6-7 of those documents. Cut-paste is a little tedious looking at this point. I want to auto-cut the doc into individual docs/text files, or whatever, then import them into word. Any idea how to do that?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Windows, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote