Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

Using Anchors within Notes, hyperlinking between notes

evernote

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 lawvol

lawvol

• PipPipPip
  • Title: Bushwhacker
  • Group: Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

For what it's worth, A workaround I use sometimes for this is to use a special character to mark sections and then just do a find within note search to jump.

LawvolEN Premium Subscriber
Evernote for Windows: Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit • Evernote for Windows 5.1.0.246 (270046) Prerelease
Evernote for Android: Droid Bionic: Android 4.1.2 • Evernote for Android

#22 Todd Wilson

Todd Wilson

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:33 AM

No anchors so far. I can see how they'd be useful on the desktop, but I think much less useful across the mobile clients. This would contribute to how we prioritize the feature.

Regarding the highlighting and other rich text options, yeah I know. We'll be working on it

I realize that this is an old thread, but I was searching for information on anchor functionality in Evernote and came across this.  I'll just mention my use-case: adding a table of contents to a long note.  I frequently clip articles to Evernote with many sections and would like to add a table of contents at the beginning to link to the sections for easy navigation.  The ENML spec already allows named anchors and relative hrefs, it's just that they're non-functional, which I don't suppose would be very difficult to add.

#23 bitrott

bitrott

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

I'd like to pile on to this feature request since the thread was bumped. Unless this has been implemented otherwise or there's a convenient work-around I'd say this feature limits the hyperlinking feature. I read that there's a technical limitation where mobile is concerned? I'm not sure how that's possible: if you can already resolve a hyperlink and return a specific note then you're mostly there. If the anchor is still accessible it's a matter of moving content into view by whatever means available via the API. There's reference implementations everywhere. This is HTML 1.0 stuff here.

#24 Anthrax_0

Anthrax_0

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 01:00 PM

Was there some news for this feature? Is it being considered at all? It would be very useful :-)

#25 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 12,184 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 02:25 PM

Was there some news for this feature? Is it being considered at all? It would be very useful :-)

Evernote does not publish their roadmap or ETAs.
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#26 NealW

NealW

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

I think what's happening is that people are using Evernote for much more than it was originally intended. It's become an environment. The request for anchors indicates that people are creating LONG documents in Evernote. It means that they would rather create these documents in Evernote than in a word processor.

This is an opportunity for Evernote. Adding this feature will get power users to move more of their work into Evernote. Once in, it will be harder to leave in the future. And these long documents are probably shared with others who will then be motivated to get Evernote or upgrade to Premium.

There's people who use Evernote to go paperless. Evernote has adapted by having folder that automatically import scans, selling scanners optimized for this purpose, etc.

Then there's people who want to use Evernote as their task manager, such as the Secret Weapon. Evernote has adapted by adding Reminders, and (sometimes) the improving tools needed for these systems of tags, and saved searches.

And then there's those of us who wish to create more of our documents in Evernote. As a premium user, being able to give a note URL, or various access levels to a shared folder, makes Evernote a superior collaborative tool than sending word documents through the mail. I also have my "notes" synchronized across multiple platforms. I'd rather stay in Evernote where I've got so much than add to another tool like Google Docs, or to use a secondary step of embedded Word documents.

Currently, I'd consider anchors to be the most essential missing feature for using Evernote for long documents. 

#27 luckman212

luckman212

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 522 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

No anchors so far. I can see how they'd be useful on the desktop, but I think much less useful across the mobile clients. This would contribute to how we prioritize the feature.

Regarding the highlighting and other rich text options, yeah I know. We'll be working on it

I was reading this comment again and it occurred to me that actually, anchors are probably more useful on mobile clients. They have smaller screens and thus being able to link directly to the specific section you are looking for (e.g. via a saved search or from inter-linked notes) would definitely be a win. Dlu- what is your thought process for saying that they'd be "much less useful" on mobile?

→ using Evernote Win v5.3.1.3363

#28 drstein

drstein

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 08:31 PM

Bumping this thread as well.

I write long documents on EN 'cause I use it to study and it's easier to find text on EN than on a normal word processor. This feature would help me a lot to organize my notes :) 

And as luckyman212 said, 

I was reading this comment again and it occurred to me that actually, anchors are probably more useful on mobile clients. They have smaller screens and thus being able to link directly to the specific section you are looking for (e.g. via a saved search or from inter-linked notes) would definitely be a win. Dlu- what is your thought process for saying that they'd be "much less useful" on mobile?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote