Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Web

Encrypt text in Evernote web

evernote

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DallasFan

DallasFan

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:47 PM

I'm farily new to Evernote, but one item that I need is the abiliy to encrypt text in my notebooks. I've research the forum, and see that this is suppose to be an easy thing to do - select the text, right click, and select 'encrypt'. However, I do not see that option. I'm running IE8 and even tried it on Firefox. Why when I right click on the selected text don't I see the Encrypt option?

Thanks in adavnce.

#2 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• Title: Moderator
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 12,173 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:50 PM

I think text encryption is only available in the desktop clients (Mac/Windows).
I'm not affiliated with Evernote. Evernote is an integral part of my life.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#3 Phil Dean

Phil Dean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: British Food Lover
  • 464 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:03 AM

At this time we do not support the ability to encrypt text on the web. You can decrypt text on the web not encrypt text currently. Thanks for your feedback.
Check out our Knowledgebase.
View our User Manuals here: Mac or
Windows
Check out the Getting Started Guide
Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#4 DallasFan

DallasFan

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

I downloaded the client and see the option....thanks for your help.

#5 NL126

NL126

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:22 AM

I'm farily new to Evernote, but one item that I need is the abiliy to encrypt text in my notebooks. I've research the forum, and see that this is suppose to be an easy thing to do - select the text, right click, and select 'encrypt'. However, I do not see that option. I'm running IE8 and even tried it on Firefox. Why when I right click on the selected text don't I see the Encrypt option?

Thanks in adavnce.

I am having the same problem!!! How can I fix this... anyone?

#6 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,173 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:47 AM

Thanks in adavnce.

I am having the same problem!!! How can I fix this... anyone?

I think text encryption is only available in the desktop clients (Mac/Windows).

At this time we do not support the ability to encrypt text on the web. You can decrypt text on the web not encrypt text currently. Thanks for your feedback.

Submit support requests toward the bottom of the help/support page here. If you do not receive an auto reply email with a case #, it did NOT get submitted. Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time. Free users receive a reply as time permits.

#7 Sir Huddleston Fuddleston

Sir Huddleston Fuddleston

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:23 AM

Evernote -- this encryption problem has existed for more than 18 months now. When will you fix it? There's virtually no point if you cannot encrypt text. And you have us in a bind -- you won't fix it in the web client, yet you won't rollout a linux client, either. I guess you expect linux users to just jump ship to something else.

#8 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,173 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:03 AM

Evernote -- this encryption problem has existed for more than 18 months now. When will you fix it? There's virtually no point if you cannot encrypt text. And you have us in a bind -- you won't fix it in the web client, yet you won't rollout a linux client, either. I guess you expect linux users to just jump ship to something else.

Maybe they expect Linux users to be a bit more creative than the average bear?

This is not a bug needing to be fixed. This is a conscious decision. Or a feature not yet installed. Take your pick. And Evernote does not publish their roadmap or ETAs. I would suggest you use something like a true password manager or a third party encryption tool (PDF encryption, Winrar, etc). That's what I do.

#9 Sir Huddleston Fuddleston

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:26 AM

You are an evangelist, that's for sure. Your message deviates so much from what the world is really like that it looks like you just pulled it out of your ....

I made a workaround, with efs and dropbox. It works perfectly -- however, as I stated above, it obviates the need Evernote's one killer feature: you didn't need to worry about an encryption solution cobbled up for all of your different platforms (try decoding your efs encoded file on iPhone, for example).

I guess if Evernote is fine rolling out differential feature sets for different platforms, for no especially good reason, and they have a self-selected team of slavering groupies, um,  "servicing" them, good for them. But to an actual rational person, it just looks stupid and lazy.

Edited by BurgersNFries, 24 December 2013 - 02:47 PM.
removed offensive statement

#10 BurgersNFries

BurgersNFries

• 12,173 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:48 PM

You are an evangelist, that's for sure. Your message deviates so much from what the world is really like that it looks like you just pulled it out of your ....

I made a workaround, with efs and dropbox. It works perfectly -- however, as I stated above, it obviates the need Evernote's one killer feature: you didn't need to worry about an encryption solution cobbled up for all of your different platforms (try decoding your efs encoded file on iPhone, for example).

I guess if Evernote is fine rolling out differential feature sets for different platforms, for no especially good reason, and they have a self-selected team of slavering groupies, um,  "servicing" them, good for them. But to an actual rational person, it just looks stupid and lazy.

As I said, this is not a bug.  The fact that you disagree matters not to me.  I'm glad you figured out a workaround.

And please refrain from posting offensive things as they go against the message board code of conduct.

#11 Sir Huddleston Fuddleston

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:10 PM

You received a reply equal in its offensiveness to your own reply to my original query. By contrast, the Evernote support's reply was basically, we're sorry, that's not a priority, but we can see why you would want such a thing. Nothing about how I must be lacking in creativity, or bent to want such a feature, allowed to all others, in the first place. If you want to come on here and tell us how tasty the Kool-Aid is, unfortunately, rational people are going to tell you you're, well, drinking the Kool-Aid. "But it's so tasty!" you'll reply. If you can't see how all of this follows logically from your own egregious cheerleading, you have my pity. But don't worry -- with Evernote to guide your life, you'll never need anybody or anything ever again. Ban me, because interacting with you is just taking one's valuable time and just throwing it away. Merry Christmas.

Edited by gbarry, 24 December 2013 - 11:11 PM.
Removed offensive content

#12 ZenHarmony

ZenHarmony

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 09:45 PM

I just updated to the Window Desktop version 5.1.0.2217 and learned that I could encrypt note contents. I tried it once, the note disappeared entirely and now I'm no longer able to use the feature. It is greyed out in the right-click menu and using the shortcut or the Format option does absolutely nothing. Is there something that I'm missing? Some sort of preference that shut itself off, perhaps?

Thanking you for whatever help you can provide,

Lisa

#13 CliveS

CliveS

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

I think the idea of being able to encrypt via a web browser is a good idea.

I have a Macbook Pro and 'had' the client installed. However, I also use many other devices Chromebook, Windows, iOS, Android, etc, etc. 

For me it's easier to logon via a web browser to access my notes. It's a requirement for me that I can decrypt my encrypted from a browser - if I couldn't Evernote wouldn't be of any use. Thanks for that Evernote.

I do feel that in the age (for a lot of people), or cloud computing or multiple devices that being able to encrypt via a browser would make Evernote pretty much perfect for me.

#14 Bill Hahn

Bill Hahn

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

I have used Evernote for 3yrs from Smartphones, Mac, Windows and Web Browsers.  The Encryption feature is one of the top 3 features of Evernote that enables me to (1) Use Evernote heavily and (2) Evangelize Evernote to co-workers and clients

In addition, Evernote has invested in making the Web Interface better over time, to the point where it is almost as feature-rich to use Evernote via a web browser as it is through a Mac or Windows Client. 

Without the Encryption feature of evernote available in the Web Interface, Evernote is unable to realize it's full potential, I am unable to use Evernote to it's fullest and I am unable to evangelize Evcernote to friends, colleagues and clients to the fullest extent.

I hope it is only a question of "when" not "if" Encription will be become available in the Web Interface.

Like others have mentioned, the "Encryption" feature of Evernote is a powerful differentiator for Evernote and should be rolled out into the Web Interface asap in my opinion.

Thank you.

#15 Ma Gi

Ma Gi

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

I concur. The ability to encrypt via web client is crucial.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: web, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote