Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

Any way to shorten items on the Favorite Bar?

evernote

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 idoc

idoc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • Group: Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:50 AM

I find that I cannot fit enough notes on the favorites bar because I cannot rename them in a shorter way. For example, if I have a note called "Evernote tips and tricks" I cannot rename it "EN tips-tricks" on the Favorites bar. The only way I can do that is to change the note's title altogether (which I don't want to do.) This is a limitation which does not exist on the Internet Explorer favorites bar ie: I can rename any website there so that I can cram in as many as possible in a limited area. Any work around?

#2 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Evernote Geek
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 12:43 PM

None that I am aware of. And I looked for it. I had the same reaction when I started using/testing the Favorites Bar.
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)
Windows 7 SP1 & XP SP3 (EN 4.5.8.7356)
iPod Touch 2G (iOS 4.2.1, EN 4.1.9) / Blackberry Playbook (OS 2.0.1, EN 1.3)
Latest stable browsers & clippers(Chrome(default), Firefox, IE8/9)

#3 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Explorer
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:02 PM

I agree, renaming the shortcut on the Fav Bar would be very helpful.

#4 dlu

dlu

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Will discuss internally
If you have a serious issue with Evernote, you can submit a support request here. Evernote employees read the forums, but it is not run by customer support or a way to directly get customer support.

Check out our Knowledgebase.
View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows
Check out the Getting Started Guide
Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#5 Wern

Wern

• Title: Evernote Evangelist
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 779 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:00 PM

Thanks.
I also think this would be a good feature to implement and give us more flexibility for the new Fav bar.
Wern

Check out the Getting Started Guide or Knowledge Base. View user Manuals: Windows, Mac or Android.
Still doesn't work? Submit a support request here.

#6 Artistic Blunder

Artistic Blunder

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:33 PM

And how about colored icons in favorite bar as well? it will be easier to see just like favicons of websites in favorite bookmarks (Firefox)

#7 lawvol

lawvol

• PipPipPip
  • Title: Bushwhacker
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:39 PM

+1 from me as well. Love the favorites bar, but need more space.

LawvolEN Premium Subscriber
Evernote for Windows: Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit • Evernote for Windows 5.1.0.246 (270046) Prerelease
Evernote for Android: Droid Bionic: Android 4.1.2 • Evernote for Android

#8 luckman212

luckman212

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

How does one delete items from the Favorites bar? There seems to be a "magic" dot that is perhaps 2x2 pixels hidden somewhere on the screen, and dragging an item anywhere else just results in the "Talk To The Hand" symbol i.e.:
Posted Image

Has this bug been fixed in recent betas?

→ using Evernote Win v5.3.1.3363

#9 jefito

jefito

• Title: Evangelist / Moderator
  • 10,786 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:22 PM

You can just drag it off to a blank spot on the Toolbar above, off to the right of the "Usage" button (if you haven't removed it). Or you can drag it onto the Search control. There are probably other targets that work as well...
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#10 luckman212

luckman212

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:36 PM

Neither of those targets work for me. Perhaps because I use EN on a 3-monitor setup and it is not positioned on my main screen? Who knows, I monkeyed with it for 5 minutes and gave up and just shut off the Favorites Bar again. Will wait for a less-buggy implementation. I'm on 4.5.2.5904 btw, is that the same version you're using?

→ using Evernote Win v5.3.1.3363

#11 jefito

jefito

• 10,786 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:01 PM

Oh right, I'm on the 4.5.3.5991 prerelease.
~Jeff
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests | Best Practices for submitting a support request
If someone helped you, or you like or agree with someone's post, let them (and us) know by clicking their post's "Like" button.

#12 lenarr

lenarr

• PipPipPipPip
  • Title: Shepherd
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:43 PM

Running 4.5.3.6020 prerelease and can't delete anything from Favorites Bar (FB) either. One monitor, XP.

Literal Workaround: To clean it out I noted which saved searches I'd pinned, and assigned a tag called "pin" to individual pinned notes. Then I right-clicked on the FB and selected "restore defaults," which cleaned everything out. I then dragged to the FB only those items I wanted to keep there.

Thanks,
lena

Running EN on Windows 7 SP1 64-bit and Android

#13 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:59 PM

To clean it out I noted which saved searches I'd pinned, and assigned a tag called "pin" to individual pinned notes.

Smart. That (tag:pin) also exports to other clients.

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)

#14 rmeadow

rmeadow

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:14 PM

Deleting from favorites:

I'm using 4.50.3.6020, and the drag-away deletion works fine for me (multi-monitor setup). I do get the Posted Image symbol when the cursor moves into the toolbar, but the favorite gets deleted anyway. And it stays deleted after I exit and restart the program.

But it would be nice to have the cursor show something else so that users would know what's happening.

And I'd like to be able to rename favorites, too. One workaround would be to create a search, even if it only returns a single key item -- searches can be renamed and dragged to the favorites bar (which is a great feature).

#15 dlu

dlu

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 2,415 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:09 AM

So if we decide to go with something other than the Posted Image symbol, any suggestions for what represents "this thing you have will be deleted" in a meaningful way?

You can try dragging items off very slowly, that sometimes helps. We'll be looking into the issue.
If you have a serious issue with Evernote, you can submit a support request here. Evernote employees read the forums, but it is not run by customer support or a way to directly get customer support.

Check out our Knowledgebase.
View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows
Check out the Getting Started Guide
Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#16 JMichael

JMichael

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Explorer
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:31 AM

So if we decide to go with something other than the Posted Image symbol, any suggestions for what represents "this thing you have will be deleted" in a meaningful way?

I would think some type of Posted Image icon would be more intuitive for delete. Or a trash can.

The Posted Image most often means something you can NOT do. Sjo it would be shown if you could NOT remove something from the Fav bar.

#17 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

Or a trash can.

Yeah. The other options still imply a negative, the trash can implies a specific action.

Premium User

#18 ExNihilo

ExNihilo

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:38 PM

The drag anywhere to delete is unconventional. Suggest the following:
  • Right-click "delete" context menu
  • Drag/drop to the toolbar's trash can icon
  • Drag/drop to the left panel's trash can icon on left panel

#19 Si-500

Si-500

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:27 PM

I agree - the dragging everywhere is unconventional. It took me a long time to find a way to do it.

I suggest the right-click delete.

I also think that it should be possible to alter the names given to the notes which appears in the favourites bar.

#20 jefito

jefito

• 10,786 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:08 PM

Actually, insofar as there are conventions for customizing a toolbar in Windows, dragging an item off in order to remove it from the toolbar fits in, except that for the programs I am used to doing this in (Visual Studio, pre-Ribbon MS Outlook and Word), you typically need to put the program into some customization mode first. Once in the mode, you can drag to move (or ctrl-drag to copy) a command icon from one location to another, and drag an icon off the toolbar to remove it.

OTOH, I agree that it's not particularly discoverable. and right-click / Delete, or even the Delete key would be more natural.
~Jeff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote