HELP: Todo and task app that connects with Evernote

Hey everyone, :)

I've read several threads and understand completely that it's a good thing at the moment (or forever) that Evernote is not going to focus on being a more dedicated Todo list and/or Tasks organizer that does things like sync with Google Tasks OR remind us of overdue tasks or things like that.

I had 4 questions related to todo and tasks lists please:

1 : Is there any app (Web OR Android), besides Zendone ( http://www.zendone.com ), that allows us to use Evernote to create, manage and work with todo lists and tasks or similar things?

Google Tasks sync is of course nice (I use Astrid to manage it - just the app version), though since Evernote is handling all my information at the moment, I would like to use Evernote to manage tasks also and put everything information related into Evernote (and 100% willing to forget Google Tasks).

2 : One thing I may miss, if the above is possible, is using a todo OR tasks app with location based features (like remind me of a task OR a todo when I'm near some place). Is there something I can do in a similar fashion with Evernote directly OR through an app?

Of course, this is not essential and I can definitely do this via Tasker on Android separately for such tasks/todo's if nothing like this is possible via Evernote.

3 : Is there anything else out there like Zendone?

4 : Can you please recommend any specific threads where I can get an idea of how all of you are managing your Todo and Tasks directly in Evernote? If that's the way to go, I'm going (and am very happy) to learn. Searching the forums now while I type this and going through different threads to see how all of you do it.

Thanks for reading!

• Level 5

I've been using TuskTools Calendar. It is in beta right now.

Here is a forum discussion about the program.

http://discussion.ev...dpost__p__98053

My favorite method however is to use the Evernote "Created Date" field as my task reminder date for appointments, reminders, and events.

There are some drawbacks to this however.

My favorite method however is to use the Evernote "Created Date" field as my task reminder date for appointments, reminders, and events.

Thanks so much! Really appreciate it. Testing it now.

Also, if possible, please let me know (Benson or anyone else) if you run into something similar that's online OR for Android. I'm away from my laptop a lot too and would love to do this and similar things on the go.

• Level 5*

+1 for changing the "created date" to a future date - I also have a triple hash "###" in front of the note header so there's an in-your-face reminder that this note is about something that hasn't happened yet. I'm also on Android, and the same process works for me - list the notes in creation date order and scroll down to today's date; that's my task list for future activities. Also using TuskTools which has a different date format to get used to, and MindonTrack which is a cut-down mind-mapping application that has some project control and date management functions and links to Evernote note URLs.

If you have your notebook set to "local" and add new notes via the mobile following the created date method, you'll sync your desktop back up to speed when you next connect.

What do you mean, exactly?

4 : Can you please recommend any specific threads where I can get an idea of how all of you are managing your Todo and Tasks directly in Evernote? If that's the way to go, I'm going (and am very happy) to learn. Searching the forums now while I type this and going through different threads to see how all of you do it.

I'm not sure whether I've posted this before, so here it is: I use a basic GTD-inspired-but-personally-tailored tag system that has worked far better for me than Zendone, Remember the Milk, or other reminder-focused programs. I have a few context-, priority-, and timeliness tags that I apply to notes as applicable. There's no need to share my specific tags here on the forum, but I'm happy to send screen shots to anyone interested. The takeaway, though, is just that I've found that, for me at least, one task per note is the way to go (with titles kept very simple, like "Email Jane about project X," and any related, necessary info in the note bodies), and the right tags grouped together under a "Tasks" or equivalent parent tag allow for instant and easy viewing of all tasks.

one task per note

Agreed.

In fact, this is a specific case of a general principal. Lots of small notes with limited scope per note are in general better. Tags, meaningful titles, keywords, notebooks, etc. plus search makes it very easy to meaningfully group related items. Even if their relationship wasn't foreseen.

+1 for changing the "created date" to a future date - I also have a triple hash "###" in front of the note header so there's an in-your-face reminder that this note is about something that hasn't happened yet. I'm also on Android, and the same process works for me - list the notes in creation date order and scroll down to today's date; that's my task list for future activities. Also using TuskTools which has a different date format to get used to, and MindonTrack which is a cut-down mind-mapping application that has some project control and date management functions and links to Evernote note URLs.

If you have your notebook set to "local" and add new notes via the mobile following the created date method, you'll sync your desktop back up to speed when you next connect.

Thanks! This is something I think I've seen you and others recommend/mention a lot, so I'm going to start trying it from tonight and see if I can get used to it.

What do you mean, exactly?

I'm not sure whether I've posted this before, so here it is: I use a basic GTD-inspired-but-personally-tailored tag system that has worked far better for me than Zendone, Remember the Milk, or other reminder-focused programs. I have a few context-, priority-, and timeliness tags that I apply to notes as applicable. There's no need to share my specific tags here on the forum, but I'm happy to send screen shots to anyone interested. The takeaway, though, is just that I've found that, for me at least, one task per note is the way to go (with titles kept very simple, like "Email Jane about project X," and any related, necessary info in the note bodies), and the right tags grouped together under a "Tasks" or equivalent parent tag allow for instant and easy viewing of all tasks.

Thanks for the reply!

- By Zendone, I meant any kind of mobile website OR an Android app that took our actual Evernote notes and turned them into items/todo-list/entities to work on, while following all the guidelines and Evernote protocols, and while keeping all the Evernote information inside Evernote.

- I was hoping for any kind of integration of any piece of information (aka tasks/etc) with Google Calendar. Snapcal is there, though it's not for Android and there's no online service I can think of, besides Zendone, that allows me to directly or indirectly connect Google Calendar with Evernote.

- I really like what you and others are doing here: simple Evernote notes with tags to serve as tasks

- I'm changing my actual life (literally) to Simplism (Minimalism?) to have at least minimalistic tools and methods available to do things I want. Evernote seems to be the perfect tool for me to allow me to be minimalistic when it comes to storing and managing almost any kind information. Zendone is extremely beautiful, though that's where the issue for me begins: it is too much work to simply create, process and do tasks, and it is yet another tool to manage and handle on top of everything I have.

I want to make a task, look at it to see it exists, work on it, and then simply check(mark) it away to mark it done!

- I use Google Tasks a lot right now with Astrid (Android), and am feeling strongly that I can eliminate those 2 extra tools/things in my life that I have to constantly think about (using Google Tasks and having Astrid) by having Evernote do one more thing for me: managing my tasks with some time related OR reminder OR sorting function.

- I'm going to start doing (from tonight) what you, Owyn and others are doing here with your tasks and future date tips. I just have to unhook myself right away from how I'm used to Google Tasks and apps like Astrid, and have to start understanding and utilizing the Evernote tags and "Created Date" a lot more.

one task per note

Agreed.

In fact, this is a specific case of a general principal. Lots of small notes with limited scope per note are in general better. Tags, meaningful titles, keywords, notebooks, etc. plus search makes it very easy to meaningfully group related items. Even if their relationship wasn't foreseen.

Thanks Owyn, will start with that and see how that comes out to be. The simpler the system to do exactly what I want (even if it means I have to change a bit what I want to achieve the same result --> satisfaction and meeting my own tasks OR modifying myself to have better tasks OR thoughts), the better. I can see myself not worrying about so many different things I worry about every week now with Google Tasks and any tasks app. Here are some things (the minimum that I can think of) I have to constantly think about:

1 : Astrid on Android

2 : Astrid power pack extension to have a better widget

3 : Google Tasks in Gmail

4 : Google Tasks compatible extensions in Chrome

5 : Android Market updates to see if Astrid is still the best tasks app, or if there's something else that's better

6 : Trying Google Calendar with the Tasks

(7 : Probably other things)

Those are too many things to think about and consider just to have one simple tasks of having a task management system in life. Zendone looks beautiful and has direct Google Calendar integration, though again, it's more work than I think it can be, at least for what I want.

Thanks again! I'll keep trying what you're all suggesting.

I want to make a task, look at it to see it exists, work on it, and then simply check(mark) it away to mark it done!

Small recommendation, given what you've said you want to do, if you do all this in Evernote: Don't bother with check boxes; just delete task notes when the tasks are done. Why? There's no need for check boxes if you have one task per note. It's easier to see what tasks you have to do (as well as see the deadline, context, etc.) with tags than with the search "todo:false." It's easier to delete a note than to check a check box. And if you want to be minimalist, even in your digital life, there's no reason to have a log of your completed tasks. Just delete them.

Small recommendation, given what you've said you want to do, if you do all this in Evernote: Don't bother with check boxes; just delete task notes when the tasks are done. Why? There's no need for check boxes if you have one task per note. It's easier to see what tasks you have to do (as well as see the deadline, context, etc.) with tags than with the search "todo:false." It's easier to delete a note than to check a check box. And if you want to be minimalist, even in your digital life, there's no reason to have a log of your completed tasks. Just delete them.

Sorry, but I am completely in the opposite camp on this item. Perhaps because I am also an anal journaller.

I almost always add at least a date-time stamp to a task note when I work on it.

I follow this with any notes specific to completing that task.

Sometimes I add a checkbox list of detailed activities needed to complete the task. These keep me organized as I work through the task. They also make it very easy to get back to a task if I am interrupted and go off to do something else.

When done a search by "todo:true" with order Date Updated descending (newest first) gives me a quick review of what has been accomplished.

My 2cents.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, but I am completely in the opposite camp on this item. Perhaps because I am also an anal journaller.

I almost always add at least a date-time stamp to a task note when I work on it.

I don't delete notes of completed tasks because I desire an audit trail of the past. What I do is delete tags and retag notes when the task is complete. In my GTD implementation, single tags represent lists. Viewing my @home context list is simply achieved searching by the @home tag.

I also use single notes for more than one task (e.g. a small "project" of 3 related tasks).

Evernote's note history is good. If this note history was extended to track changes to note tags I think that all my audit trail wishes for Evernote would be satisfied.

Currently, if I do not add timestamped text comments (this is tedious so I usually do not) then when I look at a 6 month old completed task I can not see the flow of how it moved from list (tag) to list (tag) to completion. This is not critical but it is nice to have.

FYI: I developed a taste for audit trails in using our bug tracking system, which has an audit trail. I can see who sat on a bug, how it was kicked around from one owner to another, et cetera.

Also, for the text portion of the evernote history, it would be awesome if I could generate an "svn annotate" view of the current note (including currently applied tags). This way, if I simply journal activities in a note in a sequential fashion, the annotation would show when things happened. This avoids me having to manually add timestamps to things I write -- a small per note gain that is multiplied many times to add up to a big savings (compared with the alternative).

I'm very happy with EN right now but it would be great to see it become more useful!

Anyway, see what works for you. I hope we've helped.

Thanks Peter! :) Yes, you've helped a lot. I'm trying this now daily to see if I can get used to it.

Sometimes I add a checkbox list of detailed activities needed to complete the task. These keep me organized as I work through the task. They also make it very easy to get back to a task if I am interrupted and go off to do something else.

When done a search by "todo:true" with order Date Updated descending (newest first) gives me a quick review of what has been accomplished.

My 2cents.

Thanks for the reply too Owyn - I've divided my tasks into 2 types (one with a task per note and another with checkmarks and time-stamps) to see which one I get used to.

I don't delete notes of completed tasks because I desire an audit trail of the past. What I do is delete tags and retag notes when the task is complete. In my GTD implementation, single tags represent lists. Viewing my @home context list is simply achieved searching by the @home tag.

I also use single notes for more than one task (e.g. a small "project" of 3 related tasks).

Evernote's note history is good. If this note history was extended to track changes to note tags I think that all my audit trail wishes for Evernote would be satisfied.

Currently, if I do not add timestamped text comments (this is tedious so I usually do not) then when I look at a 6 month old completed task I can not see the flow of how it moved from list (tag) to list (tag) to completion. This is not critical but it is nice to have.

FYI: I developed a taste for audit trails in using our bug tracking system, which has an audit trail. I can see who sat on a bug, how it was kicked around from one owner to another, et cetera.

Also, for the text portion of the evernote history, it would be awesome if I could generate an "svn annotate" view of the current note (including currently applied tags). This way, if I simply journal activities in a note in a sequential fashion, the annotation would show when things happened. This avoids me having to manually add timestamps to things I write -- a small per note gain that is multiplied many times to add up to a big savings (compared with the alternative).

I'm very happy with EN right now but it would be great to see it become more useful!

Thanks! That's a very interesting idea, hmmmmmm. When you retag the notes - do you simply retag them with "@home" OR with something else? I'm trying to figure out how to separate completed tasks from active tasks.

OR do you mean you actual put time stamps inside each note (each note = 1 task) and note on each such time-stamped line what you did related to that task?

Thanks again everyone! 2012 ALREADY feels more organized than 2011!

Regards,

Bes

Thanks! That's a very interesting idea, hmmmmmm. When you retag the notes - do you simply retag them with "@home" OR with something else? I'm trying to figure out how to separate completed tasks from active tasks.

#processed is my "null" tag. completed tasks get untagged (e.g. !next, @home tags removed, #processed tag added or left in place). If a note is a small project, then it continues to be tagged until the project is complete (e.g. ~waiting, !next, @pc, what ever tags applies in the moment).

Lets consider a note that represents a single task. When this task is completed the note will only have the #processed tag to keep it from showing up in my inbox.

OR do you mean you actual put time stamps inside each note (each note = 1 task) and note on each such time-stamped line what you did related to that task?

If I want an audit trail, I create one by adding text to the note. I keep open items at the top of the note and "below the line" I keep task reference (e.g. the original email that spawned the task) and audit trail.

I've currently decided that adding timestamps to my hand created audit trail is too tedious so I rarely do it. If EN versioned note tags (or all meta-data) along with content then there would be (IMO) no need to timestamp anything.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

@JBenson: Do you know if TuskTools is still being worked on? Just tried it out and must say that it seems to be very much beta considering the time it has been available. Their forum seem to be dead and the developer does not really post there.

A shame - it would have been a good idea if it had worked. Quite amazing that no-one seems to do something about this area, but the same could be said about Google and their tasks and integration to Gmail :wacko:

• Level 5

@JBenson: Do you know if TuskTools is still being worked on? Just tried it out and must say that it seems to be very much beta considering the time it has been available. Their forum seem to be dead and the developer does not really post there.

I think the program (TuskTools Calendar) is dead.

I've sent emails with questions about sync problems, but no answers.

The last fruitful communication I had with Phil Seeman was back in Sep 2011.

Posts on the forum are just gathering dust.

• Level 5

I just posted the following question on the TuskTools Calendar forum:

Is TuskTools Calendar officially dead?

Almost no activity on the forum

No feedback from Phil Seeman.

Certainly looks like the program has been moved to the graveyard.

I've been using Zendone for about 6 months now and I have to say that ever tightening integration with Evernote and Google Calendar make it one of the best GTD apps I've ever used. If you are a heavy user of Evernote and Google Calendar for your GTD needs, it is worth trying it out. They are coming out with an iPhone app soon which will make it more viable option for many although I've been able to make do without it so far. They are still in closed beta though but the developers freely give out invitations just by asking on their blog.

A shame - it would have been a good idea if it had worked. Quite amazing that no-one seems to do something about this area, but the same could be said about Google and their tasks and integration to Gmail :wacko:

Tusktools is hardly dead. An email wrt previous versions expiring was sent on 4/25/12 & my last communication with Phil Seeman was on 4/26/12. IME, Phil h as been very hands on via email & this board. However, AFAIK, TT is not his day job. So you may not receive an immediate reply.

• Level 5

My recommendation:

Before installing TuskTools Calendar and syncing with Evernote, take a look at the lack of activity in the TuskTools Calendar forum over the past 6+ months.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5

I got a response today from my May 24 question about the viability of TuskTools (with an interesting development): TuskTools Calendar will join the Evernote Trunk.

No, TT Calendar is not dead!

In terms of the Forum activity, I think that's more "the will of the people" than anything I'm doing or not doing. However, TT Calendar will be in the Evernote Trunk soon, so I suspect activity may pick up with an increase in download volume.

In terms of development activity, I will mention that software development is not currently my full-time job; I'm a business and I.T. consultant by day. But I have begun some work on making TT Sync into a two-way sync process, which would allow for the creation and updating of appointments directly in the calendar; and am also working on another app which I may be entering in this year's DevCup, we shall see how it progresses.
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all

Just wanted to let you know that Zendone is now working on an iPad version. They have also patched the browser version so that it now runs on Safari on iPad - a bit haltingly at times, but it provides an interim solution that certainly makes the app more mobile. My view is that Zendone currently provides the best integration with Evernote, followed by Nozbe. Other apps (Omnifocus, Things, GQueues) merely let you paste a link in the notes field.

I have recently written a post about how Zendone complements EN - see http://purplezengoat...ote-or-zendone/

That post also contains a link to 'The Secret Weapon' videos, which explain how EN can be customised as a task manager. Additional resources on that topic can be found on Daniel Gold's DEG Consulting website.

Cheers

ozengo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

jbenson,

Thanks for posting my reply to you about TuskTools Calendar, and my apologies for any delays you and others have experienced in answering your support questions. As I mentioned and you shared, developing Evernote apps is not my full-time work, but is my favorite thing to do - and I am actually rearranging some priorities to be able to spend more time on it.

As you shared, the ability to add and modify appointments directly from your TuskTools Calendar is in the works.

Also coming is a new app, TuskTools Treeliner - which I've entered in this year's Devcup competition - that allows you to organize your notes in an outline tree format. (I'm taking names for interested beta testers now.)

• Level 5*

Wow, sorry, gazumped - not sure what the issue is, it's just a plain text field. Can you send me a private message with the email address you used and the exact error message you got? Thanks.

• Level 5*

Doh. Cheers for the quick response - it was partly my bad - NoScript (Firefox add-in) objected to "a possible cross-script attempt" in the form. I completed it in Chrome without any issues. I'll PM you the details.

• 4 months later...

Hi there,

I'm Karol, the CEO of OneMln, the developer of www.everdo.it This should be a todo and task app that you are looking for.

EverDo.it is an app that allows you to create tasks / events out of notes or part of them. It also allows you to put an event / task to your calendar. The iPad version will be available this month. So to sum it up - EverDo.it adds the GTD experience to Evernote :-)

You're all invited to comment on our GTD app for Evernote lovers

Would really appreciate your feedback!

Regards,

Karol

• Level 5*
You're all invited to comment on our GTD app for Evernote lovers

So how do I get a Windows or Android version, or is this web based? There's no obvious 'next step' on the web page apart from singing up for a newsletter or joining an empty discussion page...

The FB page contains much more info. Today we will have the working demo on iPad, so tomorrow there will be much more - screen shots, description, etc.

The Android version is coming in January. Desktop - web based. Beginning / middle February.

The discussion page has been added today, so that's the reason why it's empty ;-)

Regards,

Karol

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I am Shawn with sokkva the cloud sync application for busy people.  sokkva sync's events in google calendar with notes in Evernote through the cloud without a client running on your devices.  

Please head over to sokkva.com and check it out.

sokkva is in Alpha, so I would really appreciate you testing it out and providing lots of feedback

Thanks,

Shawn

• Level 5*

Hi Shawn,  welcome to the forums.  I've signed into your app to see where that goes - two things I've found with the last few similar products that came up:  so far you have no "to do" option,  and I don't see how you handle repeating dates.  What if I have a meeting every Wednesday?

I don't operate a 'pure' GTD system - in fact David A suggests that its best to take whatever you like from his system and create one that suits your personal processes.  I prefer to use broad "now/ soon /someday" classes for my to-dos and keep those lists separate from any calendar entries for specific meetings or appointments.  Can't see (yet) how that would fit in with the sokkva notebook...

More after I've had a play with this.

Hi,  Thank you for the welcome.

Right now I think that your to-dos belong in EN and I am concentrating on getting the items that have a solid time when they need to be done, like a meeting or appointment syncing with google calendar.  Let me know if you have something that you would like your todo items in EN sync'd with and that could be an additional set of features to sokkva in the future.

Repeating events are handled by creating a single note in EN and tagging it with multiple date tags.  So there is 1 set of content for that repeating event.  You can test this by creating a repeating event on your google calendar.  Please let me know what you think of this implementation.

sokkva is targeted at the calendar entries like meetings where you are going to want notes for/from the meeting in EN.  I suggest that you keep your "now/ soon /someday" classes for your to-dos separate from sokkva.  Once those become a firm date then they move into the sokkva notebook and get tagged with a date and potentially a time and location.  sokkva will sync that note in the background to your google calendar.

I definitely agree with not taking a pure GTD, but altering it for your needs.  I don't think sokkva is correct for everyone, but I do think it will greatly help those that it is correct for.

Thanks for testing it out.  And please keep giving me feedback or questions.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the feedback - I'll definitely test out the repeating tasks trick;  that would be quite a nice implementation.  I don't know that I agree with you about keeping tasks have a date in my calendar.  If I can keep it in my calendar I can link to an Evernote note using the URL or a file link.  Why do I need an external app to manage that?

I agree that to-do items don't belong in a calendar - they just take up space and need too much management.  That's why I need to to-do manager to help me keep track of tasks and sub-tasks.  Evernote helps me keep a record of what I need to do,  but I can't add odd thoughts quickly enough and sort things easily enough to make it work this way.  And Evernote doesn't nag me about things I should be doing,  which believe me is something I need...

The idea is that if it can save you 5-10mins through out the day with all of the events then it would be an external app that adds value to your life.   Do you get a link in Google calendar that actually provides a clickable link.  Google calendar does not provide the ability to do html links at this time, so if you have a way of making a clickable link, could you please share?

For the items that you need to be nagged about, trying moving them in EN to your sokkva notebook then they will show up on your sokkva google calendar with your default notification for the sokkva calendar.

I hope that helps with a useful use case for you.

• 3 months later...

NOt sure if this is the best thread but I am an android user (hello SmartGTD??) who is looking for a good task manager. Two key specs are priority granularity (thus no Wunderlist) and dependable archiving/back-ups (good-bye most others). Astrid is in limbo till someone can read the Yahoo tea leaves. I was thinking there might be a nice Evernote tie-in (remember setting priorities is critical) but so far no luck. :(

Any suggestons?

Hi Jayin, we're still working on the Android app... The development of the iPad (will be finished till Friday and presented on the DevCup 2013) took us 4,5 months. And we decides that we will start the Android when we will be happy with the app for iPad. That was 3 weeks ago... So at least 3 months more - Android is more complicated in development (many more devices, screens...).

But would you interested how the iPad app looks right now, please join the G+ hangout tomorrow. Check here: G+ Hangout Also some more screens can be found here: www.smartgtd.com

Thanks,

Karol

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived