Getting email receipts into Evernote

Jeff510

Maybe an obvious one, but it just occurred to me that although a lot of my receipts are already paperless, (Amazon, and other online merchants) I don't organize those in Evernote. I have a filter set up in GMail that tags (or labels) incoming receipts or invoices or order confirmations with a receipt label. And that works really well, I can search GMail for anything that I've ordered online.

But I was just thinking that maybe it would makes sense to consolidate that information. So I set up my GMail filters to automatically forward the invoices and receipts to my Evernote email address.

The one thing I'd like to see is a way for those incoming emails to have notebook/tag info applied automatically. I don't suppose anyone knows a way to do that? If not, I've got a feature request! :D

When I forward a bcc to my Evernote email address for filing, I have to code for a notebook (@) or tag (#) in the "Subject" field. I would like to be able to code in the bcc field so nobody sees the coding in the "Subject" field. Can this be done? Will this be changed?

If you always use the same @ notebook and # tagging information for your forwarded emails, you could try to use the tarpipe service (viewtopic.php?f=30&t=22288) to make things easier. You could set up a tarpipe email address that would have all your notebook and tagging information pre-defined and forwarded to your EN account. Then when you forward email to someone, you could just BCC: the email to the tarpipe address and it would be tagged and placed in the right notebook for you.

Unfortunately, the link in the above post was not migrated to the new message board. IIRC, skellam had posted detailed info he/she uses with tarpipe. Perhaps he/she will see this thread & repost that info.

Unfortunately, the link in the above post was not migrated to the new message board. IIRC, skellam had posted detailed info he/she uses with tarpipe. Perhaps he/she will see this thread & repost that info.

You know, I wasn't even thinking about a third party path to get there, but that just made me think to look at IFTTT.com (If this then that)

I just set it up to grab any order receipts from Amazon that come into GMail and create notes in Evernote with notebook and tag values!

Now I just have to see if that works.

Good news and bad.

It created a note right where I wanted it to, but it pulled the body text from the invoice and the resulting note is a text block. I wonder if I can keep the formatting with IFTTT

Actually, you can do this with Evernote itself, no third party app. Here's the instructions I found, hope it helps! (Here's the link to the place I found it: https://support.evernote.com/link/portal/16051/16058/Article/547/Adding-content-to-Evernote-using-email)

"Evernote allows you to designate the target notebook and tags for an emailed note in the email subject line. For example, if you wanted your emailed note to appear in your Cooking notebook, simply append "@Cooking" to the email subject (without the quotation marks). If you wanted to tag the note, just add tags to the email subject like this: #recipes #vegetarian #sometag. Note that if you want to designate the target notebook and tags using this method, you must place the notebook name before the tags.

Here is an example of the correct way to format the email subject using this syntax:

Authentic cornbread @Cooking #recipes #vegetarian #baking

Note that both the notebook designation and the tags appear at the end of the subject. Also, any notebook or tags added to the email subject must already exist in your Evernote account. Using the above example: assuming you didn't already have a tag "baking" in your Evernote account, the title of the note would contain "#baking" once it arrived in your Evernote account and that tag will not be applied. If you designate a non-existent notebook in the email subject, the note will be added to your default notebook."

No, I'm aware of that, Brandie, this issue is that I can't automate that.

The point of the forwarding was to make it automatic. GMail filters see that it's a receipt, and it automatically forwards to my Evernote email address without me having to take any action. But when you forward an email, it retains its original subject line. If there were a way to have GMail do forwarding with a custom subject line, I'd do that.

The point of the forwarding was to make it automatic. GMail filters see that it's a receipt, and it automatically forwards to my Evernote email address without me having to take any action. But when you forward an email, it retains its original subject line. If there were a way to have GMail do forwarding with a custom subject line, I'd do that.

This has been discussed a lot. AFAIK nobody has found a robust solution yet. The best I have come up with for my own use is a "Inbox Mail" Saved Search (notebook:"@Inbox" source:mail.smtp). That at least lets me handle all the forwarded items in that context. Replace "@Inbox" with your default notebook name for your own use.

This has been discussed a lot. AFAIK nobody has found a robust solution yet. The best I have come up with for my own use is a "Inbox Mail" Saved Search (notebook:"@Inbox" source:mail.smtp). That at least lets me handle all the forwarded items in that context. Replace "@Inbox" with your default notebook name for your own use.

That's helpful. I didn't realize I could sort by source like that. (That option is all the way at the bottom on the left, and since my tag list is so large, I rarely see the bottom of that pane)

So what's the difference between the "Emailed to Evernote" and "Email" source?

So what's the difference between the "Emailed to Evernote" and "Email" source?

Nothing really. Just the way the client chooses to display the search attribute.

Ummm. Checking...

Well. I take that back. The main difference (for me) is that "Emailed to Evernote" works and "Email" does not.

Need to check the API ref to see what the technical difference is.

Got It. "Email" is for clips from a local email client (e.g. Outlook).

source:[string] - matches notes that came from an application or data source that matches the argument string. Notes that were created directly in an Evernote client will not have a "source" attribute. Legal source attributes include: app.ms.word, app.ms.excel, app.ms.powerpoint, mail.clip, mail.smtp, web.clip, mobile.wm E.g.:

· source:app.ms.word

o Matches notes that came from a Microsoft Word document

· source:app.ms.*

o Matches notes that came from any Microsoft application

· source:web.clip

o Matches notes that were locally clipped from a web page

· source:mail.clip

o Matches notes that were clipped from a local mail client

· source:mail.smtp

o Matches notes that were delivered to the service via the email gateway.

· source:mobile.*

o Matches notes that were created on a mobile client of some form

http://www.evernote....m#_Toc297053084

Owyn: Thanks so much for the "source:mail.smtp" function. I hadn't known about that, at it will be incredibly helpful for me.

I have four or five daily newsletters automatically forward to Evernote, and I had the same problem/complaint as Jeff510. (I've of course seen Tarpipe recommended, but when I created an account and tried to set it up, I got hopelessly lost.) To date, those newsletters auto-forward but appear in my inbox as a reminder to tag them in Evernote when I see them in my email. Now I can have them auto-archive because if I get in the habit of searching, at least once a week or so, "source:mail.smtp -tag:*" I'll catch the untagged emails easily and be able to tag them as I want.

I'm still hoping for what Jeff asked about, but for now this search will help a lot, so thanks again.

I should have remembered to ask this question in my last post:

When I manually forward an email to Evernote, it retains the original email meta-data in text, displaying like any normal forwarded email:

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Not Real Name
<
>

Date: Sat, Dec 10, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Subject: Not real subject

To:

But with the emails I have set up to auto-forward, this data isn't there. I'd like it to be, since I could more easily find emails by date, sender, etc. Does anyone know of a setting I can change to preserve that data when Gmail auto-forwards to Evernote? (I think this is a change I have to make in Gmail, but I can't find it, and figure if there is a way to do this, someone here will know of it.)

From -> Author

Date -> Creation Date

Subject -> Title

Email Body -> Note Body

Just spot checked several recent auto-forwarded emails. Creation date+time matched date+time in GMail.

Looks like actual To address is lost in the import. This could be an issue if you are using auto-forwarding to GMail or +'d email addresses.

• 1 year later...

I am interested in exactly this problem, having newsletters automagically delivered to Evernote AND TAGGED. I need to re-write the Subject, without mucking up the rest of the email. I wrote a php script on my Linux/Apache/Exim/Cpanel host, but either Exim or Evernote is second guessing what I'm trying to do and the result is, the (poorly formed!) HTML content of the newsletter gets treated as literal text instead of HTML.

Thanks BurgersNFries and others for the idea about tarpipe. As you've all discovered, the tarpipe is defunct. Here is a good, relatively recent discussion of some alternatives to tarpipe, some of which may solve this problem. The most promising one appears to be IFTTT, Zapier or InQloud.

TIP: Automatic filtering, tagging and filing of e-mailed notes

Also, here is another promising, recent a discussion about IFTTT, Zapier that leads to Gmail Scripting (formerly part of Google Apps):

HELP: Using Evernote as Gmail archive

I am interested in exactly this problem, having newsletters automagically delivered to Evernote AND TAGGED. I need to re-write the Subject, without mucking up the rest of the email. I wrote a php script on my Linux/Apache/Exim/Cpanel host, but either Exim or Evernote is second guessing what I'm trying to do and the result is, the (poorly formed!) HTML content of the newsletter gets treated as literal text instead of HTML.

Thanks BurgersNFries and others for the idea about tarpipe. As you've all discovered, the tarpipe is defunct. Here is a good, relatively recent discussion of some alternatives to tarpipe, some of which may solve this problem. The most promising one appears to be IFTTT, Zapier or InQloud.

TIP: Automatic filtering, tagging and filing of e-mailed notes

Also, here is another promising, recent a discussion about IFTTT, Zapier that leads to Gmail Scripting (formerly part of Google Apps):

HELP: Using Evernote as Gmail archive

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, I actually got so frustrated trying to automatically forward my emails to Evernote and organise effectively that I've started working on an app that scrapes my email for content I want and then stores it nicely in an app. 

Would you guys be up for a chat? I'd love to ask you some questions :) 

Thanks!!

Emma 

• 6 months later...

Archived