Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

✔ Latest evernote can't be installed after old version not uninstalled properly

Windows evernote installation error bug problem installation

• Please log in to reply
293 replies to this topic

#101 maxikk

maxikk

• Title: Evernote Employee
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:24 PM

Ok, when you get back, could you please check.

It should also give you the uninstall string for that version. Run that uninstall string from cmd.exe to uninstall 4.1.

If after uninstall the EvernoteVersions utility still shows version 4.1 installed, then try running it with the /clean switch.

If after that it still shows version 4.1 installed, then the registry permissions are such that the 4.2 installer won't be able
to install.

Thanks,
Max

#102 hubbub

hubbub

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 11:17 AM

Old topic title: Upgrade 4.1.0.3345 to 4.2.0.3639 - Can't uninstall old ver.
SOLVED - Please see my later post here for how I fixed this: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=21915#p94054

Hi all,

I received a message telling me that a new version was available so dutifully clicked Install. When trying to install it informs me that the current version must be uninstalled first. That's fine, a Windows Installer dialogue pops up then disappears, then another dialogue appears saying "Another version of this product is already installed...", so clearly it didn't succeed.

As the issue seems to be that it can't uninstall the old version I tried myself through Add/Remove Programs, but when I try this I get a different Windows Installer dialogue again saying "The installed product does not match the installation source....".

Add/Remove Programs has Evernote listed as v. 4.0.2, which is not the same as the version reported by Evernote itself (4.1.0.3345), not sure if this is relevant. I assume Windows can't find the installer for whichever version it thinks is installed. And I can't help it, as I've previously upgraded through the Evernote Update popup and have no idea where it stores it's installers.

Can anyone help? Let me know if you need more info.

Cheers,
hubbub

#103 maxikk

maxikk

• 310 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 02:45 PM

hubbub,

Please, follow these steps:

1. Download EvernoteVersions utility from this link http://s.evernote.com/evernoteVersions and save it on your Desktop
2. Press Win + R to display Run dialog
3. In the Run dialog type the following and then click OK:

cmd.exe

In the cmd.exe window:

4. If you are using Windows XP, type:

cd "C:\Documents and Settings\_your_windows_username_\Desktop"

If you are using Vista or Windows 7, type:

cd "C:\Users\_your_windows_username_\Desktop"

5. Press Enter
6. Type:

EvernoteVersions.exe /clean

7. Press Enter

8. When prompted: Clean this product and install location? (y/n):, verify that the product listed is Evernote and press y and Enter
9. Once the utility has finished its work, close cmd.exe window
10. Re-run Evernote 4.2 installer.

If you get any errors during the process, please post them here.

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience,
Max

#104 hubbub

hubbub

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

Hi Max

Thanks for the reply. I followed your instructions, below is the output of the versions tool. It looks like it failed the first time round, and following attempts don't seem to locate it any more. Re-running the installer results in the same problem as before, an error about an existing version.

C:\Personal\Downloads>EvernoteVersions.exe /clean

Searching under HKLM ...

Product:        Evernote v. 4.0.2
Version:        4.0.2.3162
Folder:         C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote\

Clean this product and install location? (y/n): y
Unable to delete direcotry C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote : 5

Found: 1

Cleaned: 0

Searching under HKCU ...

Found: 0

C:\Personal\Downloads>EvernoteVersions.exe /clean

Searching under HKLM ...

Searching under HKCU ...

Any more ideas?

Thanks!
hubbub

#105 maxikk

maxikk

• 310 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:23 PM

hubbub,

At this point, I would try the following:

1. Reboot the computer.

Once the computer has restarted:

Make sure not to start Internet Explorer or Microsoft Outlook

2. Open Task Manager (right click on the Windows Task bar and choose Task Manager or Start Task Manager)
3. Click Processes tab
4. Look for the following 3 processes: Evernote.exe EvernoteClipper.exe EvernoteTray.exe
5. For each of these processes, if found, select the process and click "End Process" button. Confirm that you want to end the process.
6. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to c:\Program Files\Evernote
7. You should see Evernote folder inside, select it and Delete
8. At this point you can rerun the 4.2 installer.

Thanks,
Max

#106 hubbub

hubbub

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:04 PM

Hi Max,

I tried your suggestion and still get a "A previous version is installed..." error when running the installer. Is it possible to get hold of the installer for the old version to use for the uninstall process?

Cheers,
Simon

#107 maxikk

maxikk

• 310 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:15 PM

Simon,

Yes, you can download the 4.0.2 version from here: http://evernote.s3.a..._4.0.2.3162.exe

Before you run it, I would also do the following:

1. Win + R to open Run dialog
2. Type the following and click OK:

%TEMP%

3. Windows Explorer should open up with the temporary folder.
4. In that folder locate the file called Evernote.msi (.msi may not be showing) and delete it.

Please, let me know if this works out for you.

Thanks,
Max

#108 hubbub

hubbub

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:36 PM

RESOLVED

For anyone else who may find themselves in this situation, here is how I managed to fix this problem using some of Max's suggestions above and some intuition on my part.

Thankfully I was able to recover the files from my "C:/Program Files/Evernote/Evernote" directory after deleting them, so don't follow that tip above.

1. Run the EvernoteVersions tool as given by Max in this post (from above):

hubbub,

Please, follow these steps:

1. Download EvernoteVersions utility from this link http://s.evernote.com/evernoteVersions and save it on your Desktop

cmd.exe

In the cmd.exe window:

5. Press Enter
6. Type:

7. Press Enter

8. When prompted: Clean this product and install location? (y/n):, verify that the product listed is Evernote and press y and Enter

Max

This didn't seem to solve anything, but I've included it as it may have helped behind the scenes.

2. Use the Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp Utility. This tool has been pulled by Microsoft but is available to download from a few reputable sites on the web. Here's a link:
http://majorgeeks.co...ad.php?det=4459

This tool allows you to remove corrupted/broken entries from the Windows Installer database that Windows maintains. It seems that this is what had got out of kilter here (with the different versions showing in Evernote -> Help -> About and Add/Remove Programs). Once you've installed the utility (I'm using XP) you run it from All Programs -> Windows Install Clean Up
It will present a list of all the programs currently installed using Windows Installer. Locate Evernote in the list and click Remove.

3. Update Evernote through the Evernote -> Help -> Check for updates. This time it worked perfectly for me.

Hope that's of some use.

Cheers!
hubbub

#109 maxikk

maxikk

• 310 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 07:59 PM

Thanks, Simon. Glad to hear you got it resolved.

Thanks,
Max

#110 unfgreen

unfgreen

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:48 AM

I've tried all the suggestions listed here, but none have worked. :)

Am trying to upgrade from 3.5x to 4, but my computer just keeps rebooting. Fortunately, it asks every time if I want to continue so I'm able to cancel after a few tries.

#111 laurieg

laurieg

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 07:19 AM

I am running Evernote 3.5 on a Windows network Terminal server session and have had no problems.
However I cannot install V4. I get an error: "Evernote was already installed by another user. Only one user per installation is supported. An administrator can install Evernote for everyone after the per-user installation is removed." At first it seemed to install and asked for a reboot, but nothing appeared to have happened. It now thinks there is an installation even though there isn't.

I would be grateful for any help.

--Laurie

#112 evb

evb

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Browncoat
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:34 AM

Not all programs can be installed on a Windows Terminal Server (WTS). In any case, installation should be done by the Admin in the special installation mode for WTS. I once tried to install GDS on a WTS without sufficient knowledge - no good idea. Support people at EN should clarify in advance whether or not EN is WTS-capable.

Best regards from Munich, EvB.

#113 FDunn

FDunn

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:25 PM

Sorry but the answer provided does not address this problem as I am not installing on a server. I was running 4.1 & it had installed without a problem - it installed fine and was running without a problem. As the original post indicated, 4.2 starts to install but then my machine didn't reboot, so I rebooted but nothing installed, not listed in add/remove programs, so now nothing to remove. When I try the install again I get the message about other users. So I figured I would go back to 4.1 but I get the same message, so something is getting hung up in the install. I am on Windows XP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#114 maxikk

maxikk

• 310 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 02:25 PM

Please, try the following steps:

cmd.exe

In the cmd.exe window:

5. Press Enter
6. Type:

7. Press Enter

Max

#115 FDunn

FDunn

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:25 PM

Thanks Max! That took care of the problem for me :)

#116 madmanz123

madmanz123

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:19 PM

Hi there, I have the same issue, I followed instructions that worked for the above person but the Versions.exe didn't find a product!

I've tried to delete the registry entries manually as well as the file folders, so I'm out of ideas.

Thanks!

#117 long

long

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:28 PM

I installed Evernote 4 on a standard user account. It worked fine. Later I removed it using Add/remove programs in Control panel. Then I logged in as administrator and tried to install the software so that every user of the computer can have access to this software. However, when I ran the installation, it kept saying "Evernote was already installed by another user. Only one per-user installation is supported. An administrator can installl Evernote for everyone after the per-user installation is removed." I ran Regedit to search and delete every registry pertaining to Evernote and also used windows search to find and delete any files containing evernote (did multi times, for both standard and administrator accounts). However, the installation still report the same message after the cleaning. Anyone can help?

Thank you

Long

#118 engberg

engberg

• 12,536 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:35 AM

Please open a support inquiry at the bottom of:
https://www.evernote...ontact/support/

- Dave Engberg (Evernote)

#119 mwiles

mwiles

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:50 PM

Any update on this? I have the same issue.

#120 fedoraen

fedoraen

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:47 AM

I have had the same problem. Can anyone help?

An inquiry has been made to Evernote Support. Now waiting for a reply...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, Windows, evernote, installation error, bug, problem, installation

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote