Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows

✔ Latest evernote can't be installed after old version not uninstalled properly

Windows evernote installation error bug problem installation

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

#181 Guaranteed

Guaranteed

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:55 AM

I am unable to install evernote due to the lollowing message.
"Evernote was already installed by another user. Only one per user installation is supported. An administrator can install EN after the per user installation is removed."

System is Win xp SP3

Could not un-install evernote with uninstaller so removed the program manually. Removed all reference of EN in regisry.

Any help appreciated.

#182 f4ll3nl0rd

f4ll3nl0rd

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:27 AM

I have the same issue. Trying install new version gives me error about

"Evernote was already installed by another user. Only one per user installation is supported. An administrator can install EN after the per user installation is removed."

I have try to trace registry access with procmon but nothing found.

Uninstaller couldn't remove program so i delete all references of Evernote from registry manually.
(Yes,..., Yes,.. . I have exported all registry before that :-))

Mike

#183 TheoS

TheoS

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:25 AM

Max,

It cost me a complete Windows7 Ultimate re-install but I finally managed to get the use of my Evernote back on my 32-bit machine.

#184 f4ll3nl0rd

f4ll3nl0rd

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:47 AM

Hi,

Because nobody want's to help I help myself. For our problem solution is in EvernoteSetup.log file. In mine I found following line:

Located product {0ED78DCC-01A9-11E1-B2F1-1CC1DEF07CBE} with upgrade code {AE2C091E-CF5F-4e30-8659-D640E23A8B99}.

Open regedit and search first 8 digits in reverse of the GUID for me it was E190C2EA.

I found 2 keys in registry in HKCRInstallerUpgradeCodes and HKLUSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInstallerFolders exported them (for safety) and then delete. After this I've started Evernote instalation again and it worked.

Michal

#185 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Evernote Geek
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:49 AM

For our problem solution is in EvernoteSetup.log file.

Evernoted.
Good catch.
EVERNOTE: Getting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Support Requests

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)
Windows 7 SP1 & XP SP3 (EN 4.5.8.7356)
iPod Touch 2G (iOS 4.2.1, EN 4.1.9) / Blackberry Playbook (OS 2.0.1, EN 1.3)
Latest stable browsers & clippers(Chrome(default), Firefox, IE8/9)

#186 marksmann

marksmann

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:40 AM

Yeah, I have the Pro Version, but the Forced Uninstall option doesn't work. There is no installation path to point it to as said path has been completely deleted, and pointing it to the installation .exe yields only the installation file itself as a search result, with no registry entries.

As far as Revo is concerned, the only thing on my PC (including both files and registry entries) that has anything to do with Evernote is the installation file itself. Manual searches of both my HDD and my registry yield lnothing evernote related either. And yet the error persists.

I'm assuming that the Evernote installation file references some hidden (as in "is not named in such a way that it would appear to be related in any way to Evernote") registry entry in order to determine if Evernote is already installed or not. That or there is a similarly hidden file.

Either way, as far as I or any other program can determine, nothing but the installation file itself exists on my PC that is in any way related to Evernote, and yet the installer is telling me that Evernote is already installed.

I think you should submit a support ticket and let EN support staff help you out.
Wern

Hey Guys. In my registry there was a value for windows installer under:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MATS\WindowsInstaller\{8CE152BA-1D16-11E1-867D-984BE15F174E}\2012.02.20.18.42.38

The id and name apparently refer to a installed product. After have used Revo, and cleaned the registry manually and a restart. I can now use evernote again...
Good luck to you all!

#187 Christina A.

Christina A.

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

My Evernote in Windows tries to update to the latest version 4.5.4.6498, but then a "Windows Installer" note pops up stating "Another program is being installed. Please wait until that installation is complete, and then try installing this software again." Then another window pops up: "Setup error" "(.\Bootstrapper.cpp:886) 0x652:Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding with this install."

I don't have any other installations going on that I see. I've rebooted and tried it again and the same thing happens. Any ideas? Thanks.

#188 heather

heather

• Title: Support Maven
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:16 PM

If the solutions in this thread do not work for you, please file a support request via the link in my signature.

Check out our Knowledgebase | View our User Manuals here: Mac or Windows or iOS or Android | Check out the Getting Started Guide | Still need help? Submit a support request here.

#189 snakyjake

snakyjake

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:18 AM

I'm trying to upgrade Evernote from v4.5.4.6497 to 4.5.5.6827. I receive a message:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. ....path to a folder containing the installation package 'Evernote.msi'...C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\.

I checked the path and the file 'Evernote.msi' does exist.

What's the solution to this?

#190 beepmaster

beepmaster

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

After few Evernotes updates ... ok no problem... but one day... I see an error about windows installer appear... mmm ?
So after that error I tryed to go back in time with Windows Vista recovery tools... same problem : no more windows installer "service" ...

First of all I tryed a tool from microsoft to fix that problem : and he ask me the name of a programm to install or uninstall... so let's go for "Evernote"... Now : no more Evernote in the list of installed programms... But I list a lot of files linked to Evernote so I used "Revo Uninstaller" to remove Evernote : Revo remove lot of exe, dll, registry data...

I found a solution about the "windows installer" (very hard to restore "windows installer" ... pffff...

So now :

"Windows Installer" is OK I can install and uninstall other programms

I download the last Evernote Version... tryed to install it but an error message say that there is already an other version on my PC so it is impossible to install it...

What can I do to re-install Evernote now ? I removed every evernote files in default directories ( program files, appdata, reg data) ...

So : something from Evernote is still on my computer ? Where ? What ? How to remove It ?

And so... How to reinstall it ?

thank you for your consideration of this matter

#191 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

Welcome to the forums.

You need to submit a support request. See my signature for link.
The exact fix can get tricky but support knows exactly what to do in this case.

Premium User
Ubuntu 12.04/10.04 + various other Linux distro (Web client & VirtualBox XP SP3 ENW)

#192 beepmaster

beepmaster

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

thanks, I submitted a request few hours ago with an auto-answer ( to install evernote go to our website... double-click on the app... )... I Hope to got more sofisticated / customised answer next time... waiting... waiting... waiting... But having such problem is unbeliveable for an app that can be used for professionel purpose : simply cant uninstall/reinstall properly this app with few other people whose got same problem is... simply unbelivable for me... hopping an answer and may be more explanation about that "surprise"... and the "windows installer" service may be corrupted with evernote... not sure at all... but the problem appear after evernote update ( soft update ) : now windows installer is fine... just waiting to install EVERNOTE on my PC...

#193 Owyn

Owyn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,618 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:06 PM

Did you include all the details in your original post in the support request?
If not, respond to the support email with the details now.

Premium User

#194 StonedPhillips

StonedPhillips

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

Thanks Michal you helped me find the last registry key!

My problems had to do with moving to a new Windows 7 box and having my roaming profile automatically copy over my Evernote settings. I got to where Evernote wouldn't let me install a newer version over it, and I couldn't find any more Evernote to uninstall. I deleted every registry key that said Evernote, but there was one more.

#195 kwoodham

kwoodham

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

Had bootstrapper.cpp error code. Found instructions for stopping/restarting Windows Installer Service (disable, reboot, reset to manual and start) to be the ticket.

See: http://sherylcanter....ss-but-its-not/

Turns out that some time ago, I had a failed Java update that apparently hung mid install. There were no processes that I could associate with it, but after I restarted the Windows Installer Service and initiated the Evernote install (no "bootstrapper" error - yeah!), the Installer gave some diagnostics and presented an option to roll-back the aborted Java installation. Everything proceeded without a hitch.

Hope this helps.

#196 kwoodham

kwoodham

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:35 PM

Christina - please see the solution that I posted under the thread that Heather pointed to. Looks like we had a similar issue - stopping and restarting the Windows Installer Service solved the issue.

#197 blackberry74

blackberry74

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:17 AM

I'm having this exact same problem. I searched on the forum and haven't been able to find anything - guess I'll log a ticket with support.

#198 docster

docster

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:13 PM

Had bootstrapper.cpp error code. Found instructions for stopping/restarting Windows Installer Service (disable, reboot, reset to manual and start) to be the ticket.

Beautiful, kwoodham! The ticket indeed! Thanks much for your contribution.

#199 End User

End User

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:49 PM

Salut all!

My Evernote started to remind me constantly about update of the software (for two or three months), but always failed to do that because C:\Temp\ has no evernote.msi file, required for some reason...

Uninstallation was unsuccessful as well, by the same reason.

Therefore I deleted C:\Program Files\Evernote manually and chased and deleted all "evernote", "enapi" keywords from the system registry.

Now, Evernote_4.5.7.7146.exe says that Evernote was installed by another user, and admin can install it only after single user installation is deinstalled. I am the only actual admin of my very personal laptop.

I have Win XP SP3 Home, and I don't use it in any office environment. My WinXP is a standalone installation.

What can I do to reinstall Evernote?

Thank you in advance!

#200 gazumped

gazumped

• Title: Operative
  • Group: Evernote Evangelist
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

Hi End User - like the name! Welcome to the Forums.

I hope you didn't have anything you were fond of in your local database, because from the sound of it, all that may now be gone. As a long-time user you presumably have some notes you want to keep, so I'd first check to see what is in the Evernote web client.

If you search for backup/ restore instructions hereabouts you'll find out how to get a database back from an existing installation, or download it from the net.

To get around your pre-installation issues, I'd suggest using Revo Uninstaller to check your system for remnants of Evernote, or try something like Glary Utilities to remove registry clutter you didn't find. Be careful if you install the free version of GU - it offers to install someone's searchbar in your browser, which you might prefer to avoid...

I use Evernote constantly but don't speak for them.  Opinions here are my own based (more or less) on age,  experience,  and common business sense.  

Evernote read what's posted here,  and take it into consideration setting priorities;  they don't normally comment on individual cases,  or offer any forecasts or promises on whether or when a new feature might be released.  

Premium Windows & Android user in Wales, UK

EN Mobile 5.8 Beta 2 | Galaxy S3 Android 4.1.2 | Chrome - EN Desktop 5.2.0.2503 (270503) Prerelease | Dell Inspiron W8.0 | Chrome + Clipper & Clearly | MS Office 2013 (also Vista and W7)
Support and information: Mac | Windows | iOS | AndroidGetting Started | Support Page | Knowledge Base | Status Page | The App CenterSupport Requests & Feedback 

(Support only work weekdays,  US Pacific Time)  |  If you need to change your account name,  email address or check usage,  do it here 

Use your spare processor capacity for science research - find out more about BOINC here.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows, Windows, evernote, installation error, bug, problem, installation

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote