✔ Latest evernote can't be installed after old version not uninstalled properly

Tap

Ok, when you get back, could you please check.

It should also give you the uninstall string for that version. Run that uninstall string from cmd.exe to uninstall 4.1.

If after uninstall the EvernoteVersions utility still shows version 4.1 installed, then try running it with the /clean switch.

If after that it still shows version 4.1 installed, then the registry permissions are such that the 4.2 installer won't be able

to install.

Thanks,

Max

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Old topic title: Upgrade 4.1.0.3345 to 4.2.0.3639 - Can't uninstall old ver.

SOLVED - Please see my later post here for how I fixed this: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=21915#p94054

Hi all,

I received a message telling me that a new version was available so dutifully clicked Install. When trying to install it informs me that the current version must be uninstalled first. That's fine, a Windows Installer dialogue pops up then disappears, then another dialogue appears saying "Another version of this product is already installed...", so clearly it didn't succeed.

As the issue seems to be that it can't uninstall the old version I tried myself through Add/Remove Programs, but when I try this I get a different Windows Installer dialogue again saying "The installed product does not match the installation source....".

Add/Remove Programs has Evernote listed as v. 4.0.2, which is not the same as the version reported by Evernote itself (4.1.0.3345), not sure if this is relevant. I assume Windows can't find the installer for whichever version it thinks is installed. And I can't help it, as I've previously upgraded through the Evernote Update popup and have no idea where it stores it's installers.

Can anyone help? Let me know if you need more info.

Cheers,

hubbub

hubbub,

Please, follow these steps:

1. Download EvernoteVersions utility from this link http://s.evernote.com/evernoteVersions and save it on your Desktop

2. Press Win + R to display Run dialog

3. In the Run dialog type the following and then click OK:

cmd.exe

In the cmd.exe window:

4. If you are using Windows XP, type:

cd "C:\Documents and Settings\_your_windows_username_\Desktop"

If you are using Vista or Windows 7, type:

cd "C:\Users\_your_windows_username_\Desktop"

5. Press Enter

6. Type:

EvernoteVersions.exe /clean

7. Press Enter

8. When prompted: Clean this product and install location? (y/n):, verify that the product listed is Evernote and press y and Enter

9. Once the utility has finished its work, close cmd.exe window

10. Re-run Evernote 4.2 installer.

If you get any errors during the process, please post them here.

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience,

Max

Hi Max

Thanks for the reply. I followed your instructions, below is the output of the versions tool. It looks like it failed the first time round, and following attempts don't seem to locate it any more. Re-running the installer results in the same problem as before, an error about an existing version.

C:\Personal\Downloads>EvernoteVersions.exe /clean

Searching under HKLM ...

Product: Evernote v. 4.0.2
Version: 4.0.2.3162
Folder: C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote\

Clean this product and install location? (y/n): y
Unable to delete direcotry C:\Program Files\Evernote\Evernote : 5

Found: 1

Cleaned: 0

Searching under HKCU ...

Found: 0

C:\Personal\Downloads>EvernoteVersions.exe /clean

Searching under HKLM ...

Searching under HKCU ...

Any more ideas?

Thanks!

hubbub

hubbub,

At this point, I would try the following:

1. Reboot the computer.

Once the computer has restarted:

Make sure not to start Internet Explorer or Microsoft Outlook

2. Open Task Manager (right click on the Windows Task bar and choose Task Manager or Start Task Manager)

3. Click Processes tab

4. Look for the following 3 processes: Evernote.exe EvernoteClipper.exe EvernoteTray.exe

5. For each of these processes, if found, select the process and click "End Process" button. Confirm that you want to end the process.

6. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to c:\Program Files\Evernote

7. You should see Evernote folder inside, select it and Delete

8. At this point you can rerun the 4.2 installer.

Thanks,

Max

Hi Max,

I tried your suggestion and still get a "A previous version is installed..." error when running the installer. Is it possible to get hold of the installer for the old version to use for the uninstall process?

Cheers,

Simon

Simon,

Yes, you can download the 4.0.2 version from here: http://evernote.s3.amazonaws.com/win4/public/Evernote_4.0.2.3162.exe

Before you run it, I would also do the following:

1. Win + R to open Run dialog

2. Type the following and click OK:

%TEMP%

3. Windows Explorer should open up with the temporary folder.

4. In that folder locate the file called Evernote.msi (.msi may not be showing) and delete it.

Please, let me know if this works out for you.

Thanks,

Max

RESOLVED

For anyone else who may find themselves in this situation, here is how I managed to fix this problem using some of Max's suggestions above and some intuition on my part.

Thankfully I was able to recover the files from my "C:/Program Files/Evernote/Evernote" directory after deleting them, so don't follow that tip above.

1. Run the EvernoteVersions tool as given by Max in this post (from above):

hubbub,

Please, follow these steps:

1. Download EvernoteVersions utility from this link http://s.evernote.com/evernoteVersions and save it on your Desktop

cmd.exe

In the cmd.exe window:

5. Press Enter

6. Type:

7. Press Enter

8. When prompted: Clean this product and install location? (y/n):, verify that the product listed is Evernote and press y and Enter

Max

This didn't seem to solve anything, but I've included it as it may have helped behind the scenes.

2. Use the Microsoft Windows Installer CleanUp Utility. This tool has been pulled by Microsoft but is available to download from a few reputable sites on the web. Here's a link:

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4459

This tool allows you to remove corrupted/broken entries from the Windows Installer database that Windows maintains. It seems that this is what had got out of kilter here (with the different versions showing in Evernote -> Help -> About and Add/Remove Programs). Once you've installed the utility (I'm using XP) you run it from All Programs -> Windows Install Clean Up

It will present a list of all the programs currently installed using Windows Installer. Locate Evernote in the list and click Remove.

3. Update Evernote through the Evernote -> Help -> Check for updates. This time it worked perfectly for me.

Hope that's of some use.

Cheers!

hubbub

• 4 weeks later...

I am running Evernote 3.5 on a Windows network Terminal server session and have had no problems.

However I cannot install V4. I get an error: "Evernote was already installed by another user. Only one user per installation is supported. An administrator can install Evernote for everyone after the per-user installation is removed." At first it seemed to install and asked for a reboot, but nothing appeared to have happened. It now thinks there is an installation even though there isn't.

I would be grateful for any help.

--Laurie

Not all programs can be installed on a Windows Terminal Server (WTS). In any case, installation should be done by the Admin in the special installation mode for WTS. I once tried to install GDS on a WTS without sufficient knowledge - no good idea. Support people at EN should clarify in advance whether or not EN is WTS-capable.

Best regards from Munich, EvB.

Sorry but the answer provided does not address this problem as I am not installing on a server. I was running 4.1 & it had installed without a problem - it installed fine and was running without a problem. As the original post indicated, 4.2 starts to install but then my machine didn't reboot, so I rebooted but nothing installed, not listed in add/remove programs, so now nothing to remove. When I try the install again I get the message about other users. So I figured I would go back to 4.1 but I get the same message, so something is getting hung up in the install. I am on Windows XP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please, try the following steps:

cmd.exe

In the cmd.exe window:

5. Press Enter

6. Type:

7. Press Enter

Max

Hi there, I have the same issue, I followed instructions that worked for the above person but the Versions.exe didn't find a product!

I've tried to delete the registry entries manually as well as the file folders, so I'm out of ideas.

Thanks!

I installed Evernote 4 on a standard user account. It worked fine. Later I removed it using Add/remove programs in Control panel. Then I logged in as administrator and tried to install the software so that every user of the computer can have access to this software. However, when I ran the installation, it kept saying "Evernote was already installed by another user. Only one per-user installation is supported. An administrator can installl Evernote for everyone after the per-user installation is removed." I ran Regedit to search and delete every registry pertaining to Evernote and also used windows search to find and delete any files containing evernote (did multi times, for both standard and administrator accounts). However, the installation still report the same message after the cleaning. Anyone can help?

Thank you

Long

• 5 weeks later...
I have had the same problem. Can anyone help?

An inquiry has been made to Evernote Support. Now waiting for a reply...

FYI, support is only during normal business hours, M-F, California time. Premium accounts get replies from a human within one business day. Free accounts may take longer. If you properly submitted a support ticket, you will have received an auto reply email with a case number.

Thanks for the information, BurgersNFries. I tried again to submit a support request, but still have NOT received any auto reply with a case number.

I have deleted all related files and all entries in the registry containing 'Evernote', but still unable to install it. Very strange...

Thanks for the information, BurgersNFries. I tried again to submit a support request, but still have NOT received any auto reply with a case number.

I just submitted one for a test (see link above Dave posted) & rec'd the auto reply within seconds. You should check your spam filter.

Following the advice from the Evernote Support, I have resolved my problem. The solution is to use 'Revo Uninstaller' to clean up all leftover of the previous installation, then re-install it.

Hope it is helpful just in case of a similar problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently tried to update my version of Evernote on my laptop when requested by the software. After rebooting it kept continually asking me to update to the same version.

I suspected there was something wrong with the install and removed Evernote with the intention of reinstalling it.

When I tried to reinstall it I got the following error message:

Evernote was already installed by another user. One one per-user installtion is supported.

An Administrator can install Evernote for everyone after the per-user installation is removed.

I have tried running registry cleaners and also combing through the registry myself and manually removing all traces of evernote without success.

Has anyone else seen this before and how can I fix this?

• 4 months later...

I uninstalled the old version and can't get the new one to install (5432) ... the installer runs for about 40 minutes and goes nowhere. Finally, after cancelling the installation I get the following error -- "Setup Error Bootstrapper.cpp:886:fatal error during installation."

If this doesn't work, is there a download location for the older version?

thanks folks ...

I've been trying to download the latest version (4.5 beta 3) for the last 12 hours and every attempt got the following error: "Unable to download the update. Please try again later."

Is there a problem with the latest version?

Thanks,

Oded.

I have also been unable to install the new version (to my knowledge I didn't have an old version) - I have repeatedly tried to install it and immediately get the message that the installation ended prematurely because of an error and to try again. Happens over and over. One time (and only one time - I may have been using a different download link that time) I also got the bootstrap error referenced above. .\Bootstrapper.cpp:886) 0x643:Fatal error during installation. Very frustrating. I have Windows 7 home premium.

• Level 5*
I've been trying to download the latest version (4.5 beta 3) for the last 12 hours and every attempt got the following error: "Unable to download the update. Please try again later."

I just downloaded it from the download page: http://www.evernote.com/about/download/. I installed it on my machine (Win 7/64) with no problems.

I just downloaded it from the download page: http://www.evernote.com/about/download/. I installed it on my machine (Win 7/64) with no problems.

Once in a while a message pops up:

"A new vwesion of Evernote is available."

The same message appears if I click "Help/Check for updates."

One of the options is to download this new version.

I always used to update Evernote this way.

Like I've said, I can't do it anymore as I get this error:

"Unable to download the update. Please try again later." (I've tried it on both my desktop applications - and failed."

Yep, exactly, and that's how two of my clients got updated. But I was also able to download from the downloads page, which is something that you should try.

I will.

But do you have any idea why the automatic update stopped working?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have version 4.5.0.5529. When I start Windows/Evernote, it informs me there's an update but when I choose the download option, it states it's unable to download.

Also, I select the Check For Updates options but tells me there's no update available.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

Shall I just manually download and install the new version or is there a problem I need to sort out first?

Thanks very much.

I have the same issue as Martin, above. When attempting to install the update, this message displays:

Evernote was already installed by another user. Only one per-user installation is supported. An administrator can install Evernote for everyone after the per-user installation is removed.

Foolishly (but with curiosity: Evernote was installed for all users by an administrator -- me), I uninstalled Evernote...and am now stuck with that message every time I attempt to reinstall. If there is a solution short of manually cleaning out the Registry, I'm all ears...

Thank!

• Level 5

Sounds like there are some leftover files on your machine. Try REVO uninstaller and see if you can do a clean wipe of EN. I'd also do a registry clean (CCleaner) after this. Reboot and try a fresh new install. That should solve it.

Wern

Sounds like there are some leftover files on your machine. Try REVO uninstaller and see if you can do a clean wipe of EN. I'd also do a registry clean (CCleaner) after this. Reboot and try a fresh new install. That should solve it.

Wern

Thanks, Wern: I initially uninstalled with Revo in its Safe mode, then just now went back and did a Forced Uninstall in Moderate mode: no joy, same message from the installer, which leads me to belive, now, that the installer is ga-ga. (Also, multiple reboots.) I'd also tried installing in Windows Safe Boot and Diagnostic boot, more no joy. There is nary a lick of "Evernote" in the Registry--I went through it manually.

I got it running on my workstation by copying over the Evernote Program Files (x86) folder from another 64-bit machine and restoring the exb file. I still get the bogus error message, of course, and there is no way to repair the installation, but at least I have some functionality on the workstation. I'll start manually inserting the appropriate Registry keys as I have time.

Hopefully the next update will be a bit more solid and I can fix this correctly.

I have been unable to install the new version of Evernote to my desktop (to my knowledge I didn't have an old version) - I have repeatedly tried to install it and immediately get the message that the installation ended prematurely because of an error and to try again. Happens over and over. On two occasions I also got this error message .\Bootstrapper.cpp:886) 0x643:Fatal error during installation. I have Windows 7 home premium. Can anyone help?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone found a resolution to this? I am running 4.5.1 at the moment and wanted to upgrade to the most recent release. During the install I get this error. I have also tried the most recent beta and get the same error. I realize it's most likely not the install package since there are so few with this problem but I am looking for a solution or at least a place to start.

Hi, I try to update my evernote in my notebook. But I uninstall it not properly by deleting program folder manually. Also delete evernote info in user app data folder and registry, but always get error info in attached file. How can I solve this? BTW, evernote not provide uninstall link in startup program folder like other soft, maybe better to have it in newer version

post-84783-0-13363300-1323067162_thumb.j

• Level 5*

You should be able to use Uninstall A Program in Control Panel to uninstall. Evernote, like lots of other programs, doesn't supply a Start Menu link to its uninstall.

Are you sure that you didn't install Evernote previously under a different account?

When I try to install Evernote 4 on my computer i get 'evernote was already installed by another user. only one user installation is supported. an administrator can intall evernote for everyone after the per-user installation is removed.' I dont understand how I'm getting this when i have never installed Evernote on my computer before..

Please file a support request - explain the error message you're receiving and send a screenshot if you have one. We've seen this one before, unfortunately the fix is not consistent for each person, so we'll have to try a few things. We'll get you taken care of though.

When I try to install Evernote 4 on my computer i get 'evernote was already installed by another user. only one user installation is supported. an administrator can intall evernote for everyone after the per-user installation is removed.' I dont understand how I'm getting this when i have never installed Evernote on my computer before..

Please contact Customer support at the following link.

http://www.evernote.com/about/contact/support/

• 3 weeks later...

Also having an error code issue in Windows XP Pro SP3 with the current and previous updates where the "previous version can't be uninstalled, contact technical support".

Please see the Attached Files

post-85867-0-04712300-1325269307_thumb.j

post-85867-0-20818600-1325269319_thumb.j

When I 'browse' to the Evernote.msi file myself and choose it, it is what produced the error messages.

I'd really like to get a work around for this so I can get my updates.

I uinstalled Evernote using Revo Uninstaller when there was a power outage in my neighbourhood right in the middle of it. After getting back our power I ran RU again and it found no trace of Evernote. However, I still recieved the "Evernote was already installed by another user. Only one per-user installation is supported" error, so I proceeded to manually search for and delete every single file and registry entry for Evernote that I could possibly find. Then I used multiple registry cleaners to see if they would find anything that I missed (CCleaner, Auslogic, Glary Utilities, SlimCleaner, WinUtilities).

Unfortunately none of this has worked and I still get the same message when trying to reinstall EN.

I thought about just looking for an alternative program, but wouldn't you know it, Evernote is the best program of it's kind that I can find, bar none. So I'd like to get this issue resolved.

I'm assuming that there's a hidden registry entry with a not-so-obvious name that's causing the issue, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Yeah, I have the Pro Version, but the Forced Uninstall option doesn't work. There is no installation path to point it to as said path has been completely deleted, and pointing it to the installation .exe yields only the installation file itself as a search result, with no registry entries.

As far as Revo is concerned, the only thing on my PC (including both files and registry entries) that has anything to do with Evernote is the installation file itself. Manual searches of both my HDD and my registry yield lnothing evernote related either. And yet the error persists.

I'm assuming that the Evernote installation file references some hidden (as in "is not named in such a way that it would appear to be related in any way to Evernote") registry entry in order to determine if Evernote is already installed or not. That or there is a similarly hidden file.

Either way, as far as I or any other program can determine, nothing but the installation file itself exists on my PC that is in any way related to Evernote, and yet the installer is telling me that Evernote is already installed.

I guess I failed to explain properly that in my post that the screenshots shown are actually on top of the 'Revo Uninstaller' program page which is why I'm seeking help in this forum. The Revo program still has to follow the Windows installer, which is stumbling on the uninstall error in Evernote, right? I don't know, but I have had Revo for years and feel it's a great product albeit I haven't run into this problem before.

As Heather said:

Please file a support request - explain the error message you're receiving and send a screenshot if you have one. We've seen this one before, unfortunately the fix is not consistent for each person, so we'll have to try a few things. We'll get you taken care of though.

This seems to be happening with some heightened frequency in the current build - it would also be helpful to know:

1. What brand of computer you have. (Some computers are bundled with a version of Evernote that is installed from the factory, and you don't "Own" the registry entry to delete it.)

2. What OS of Windows you have (Home, Home Premium, Ultimate, etc) (The lower the version, the less power you have to remove programs.)

3. What version of Evernote you were on previously. (Different versions have different product identifiers and locations that we'll need to account for.)

Additionally, the instructions that you're given by the support team must be carried out as an "Administrator" - even if you're an "Administrator" in Windows, that doesn't mean you have Admin rights. You will need to run things from an elevated command prompt, or from the "hidden" Administrator account. Instructions here:

http://www.windows7h...t-in-windows-7/

As stated also in my first post of 30 December 2011 - 06:22 PM I'm in Windows XP Pro SP3. It's up-to-date with an '07 Dell which used to be a Vista machine from the factory but didn't like all the missing things such as no quick launch or any toolbars for the taskbar because they were grayed out right from the start so years ago I formatted the hard drive and installed XP Pro SP3 from disk.

So my Evernote is just a downloaded version from the Evernote site and it updated OK until the version from about 2 updates ago, I don't have the version number.

Did I submit a support ticket, No, as I was under the impression they were for premium users only until I saw BurgersNFries post stating 'Free users receive a reply as time permits'. It doesn't say that on the support ticket page, only 'Premium users will receive a reply within one business day, California time', so that's why I didn't think I was allowed a support ticket contact.

Today I was able to get the stuck version out with Revo! What I tried was to 'move' the Evernote.msi from the Temp folder it was in to desktop - just for the sake of trying something. It would not move and of course am logged on as administrator. So I tried a little program called 'Move On Boot' and after scheduled to move from where to where within the 'Move On Boot' program it forced the move during a reboot. Then, the uninstallers won't find it on the desktop so I wanted to move it back to the Temp folder and it went with an easy 'drag' on the first try. Then I was able to do an 'advanced' uninstall with a good clean up and reboot.

Then downloaded and installed the newest version of Evernote and got myself synced up and I'm back in business. Works Ok in Chrome and IE 8, just the 'clipper button' add-on for Firefox 9 still doesn't function as it never did function in Firefox 8 either. Hope to see that working soon as I use Firefox as default.

@Heather
Is there a specific registry key which triggers the error?

When we are installing our software, We check for GUIDS in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current\Version\Uninstall key as well as an upgrade key
in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UpgradeCodes

Sometimes the keys can become "stuck" and we're unable to remove them, so they need to be removed manually for our install to proceed. You can do this yourself if you're familiar with the Windows registry.

Please find the installer log by following these steps:

1. Open Run dialog (Win + R)
2. In the dialog edit box type:

%TEMP%

and click OK. This should open up a folder in Windows Explorer

3. In the folder locate the file called EvernoteSetup.log

Search the Installer log for the following line:

Located product {something} with upgrade code {something}.

What you want is the first 8 characters of the Upgrade code, reversed. For example, if it is AE2C091E-CF5F-4e30-8659-D640E23A8B99, you will need to search your Windows Registry for E190C2EA.

Open regedt32 from an elevated command prompt and search for:

E190C2EA

You should find 2 keys in registry in HKCR\Installer\UpgradeCodes and HKLU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders

Export them and then delete them. Reboot your computer, then restart the Evernote installation again.

Same issue here, when trying to upgrade from 3.5 to 4.1 and 4.2. The only part that worked was the uninstall of 3.5, so now I have no Evernote.

Many software companies use a third party installer/uninstaller, and the one used in this case is causing this problem.

And at least in my case, the use of Revo Uninstaller did not work.

If you google this issue, there are several reports, I wish the Evernote people could post a solution.

Greetings.

This is what worked for me.

I am running Windows 7, and all along I have been using Admin, the administrative account that was created on system first install, for all privileged activities.

As stated on other responses, the cleanup for Evernote must be done with the account "Administrator" not Admin.

Logged in as "Administrator" I ran Revo, but I suspect you could just run regedt32 and search for Evernote.

Clenching my teeth I - carefully - selected all the highlights from the Registry that Revo suggested were related to Evernote and pressed delete.

Rebooted for good measure.

And the install for Evernote 4.5.2xxxx was succesful.

Manually altering the Windows Registry could damage your system installation, so it is a good thing that Revo runs a Restore Point AND a Registry backup.

In closing, there should not be a need for an application which floats at Level 7 to need these maneuvers. Mind You, it is not the application, it is the installer they chose. And in that note, why is it that Revo does not make their own packaging, deliver and install product? Hmmmm?

• 4 weeks later...

Same problem here.

Update installed correctly on my 64 bit Laptop, but my 32 bit Laptop produced the following errors:

(.Bootstrapper.ccp:886) 0x643:Fatal error during installation

Error code 2755

I opened a ticket - I am a registered user - posting my error messages and received the rather lame final answer:

Dear Theo,

Thank you for the screen shot of errors. Unfortunately the error codes that you are receiving is not an actual Evernote error. It is a Microsoft issue you are having with your computer. Therefor we are unable to help you further with this issue.

I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. Thank you for your patience

Hi I just downloaded Evernote setup for version 4.5.3.6131. When I go to launch the installation I get an error message stating that it is already by another user. I am running in Windows 7 Pro as the only user on my laptop. Moreover, I've already tried to remove any fragments of previous installations with CCleaner, Revo, and Norton Utilities but none of them works... Any ideas?

Thanks

Alexander Tang

I am unable to install evernote due to the lollowing message.

"Evernote was already installed by another user. Only one per user installation is supported. An administrator can install EN after the per user installation is removed."

System is Win xp SP3

Could not un-install evernote with uninstaller so removed the program manually. Removed all reference of EN in regisry.

Any help appreciated.

I have the same issue. Trying install new version gives me error about

"Evernote was already installed by another user. Only one per user installation is supported. An administrator can install EN after the per user installation is removed."

I have try to trace registry access with procmon but nothing found.

Uninstaller couldn't remove program so i delete all references of Evernote from registry manually.

(Yes,..., Yes,.. . I have exported all registry before that :-))

Mike

Hi,

Because nobody want's to help I help myself. For our problem solution is in EvernoteSetup.log file. In mine I found following line:

Located product {0ED78DCC-01A9-11E1-B2F1-1CC1DEF07CBE} with upgrade code {AE2C091E-CF5F-4e30-8659-D640E23A8B99}.

Open regedit and search first 8 digits in reverse of the GUID for me it was E190C2EA.

I found 2 keys in registry in HKCRInstallerUpgradeCodes and HKLUSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionInstallerFolders exported them (for safety) and then delete. After this I've started Evernote instalation again and it worked.

Michal

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I have the Pro Version, but the Forced Uninstall option doesn't work. There is no installation path to point it to as said path has been completely deleted, and pointing it to the installation .exe yields only the installation file itself as a search result, with no registry entries.

As far as Revo is concerned, the only thing on my PC (including both files and registry entries) that has anything to do with Evernote is the installation file itself. Manual searches of both my HDD and my registry yield lnothing evernote related either. And yet the error persists.

I'm assuming that the Evernote installation file references some hidden (as in "is not named in such a way that it would appear to be related in any way to Evernote") registry entry in order to determine if Evernote is already installed or not. That or there is a similarly hidden file.

Either way, as far as I or any other program can determine, nothing but the installation file itself exists on my PC that is in any way related to Evernote, and yet the installer is telling me that Evernote is already installed.

I think you should submit a support ticket and let EN support staff help you out.

Wern

Hey Guys. In my registry there was a value for windows installer under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MATS\WindowsInstaller\{8CE152BA-1D16-11E1-867D-984BE15F174E}\2012.02.20.18.42.38

The id and name apparently refer to a installed product. After have used Revo, and cleaned the registry manually and a restart. I can now use evernote again...

Good luck to you all!

• 1 month later...

My Evernote in Windows tries to update to the latest version 4.5.4.6498, but then a "Windows Installer" note pops up stating "Another program is being installed. Please wait until that installation is complete, and then try installing this software again." Then another window pops up: "Setup error" "(.\Bootstrapper.cpp:886) 0x652:Another installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding with this install."

I don't have any other installations going on that I see. I've rebooted and tried it again and the same thing happens. Any ideas? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to upgrade Evernote from v4.5.4.6497 to 4.5.5.6827. I receive a message:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. ....path to a folder containing the installation package 'Evernote.msi'...C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\.

I checked the path and the file 'Evernote.msi' does exist.

What's the solution to this?

After few Evernotes updates ... ok no problem... but one day... I see an error about windows installer appear... mmm ?

So after that error I tryed to go back in time with Windows Vista recovery tools... same problem : no more windows installer "service" ...

First of all I tryed a tool from microsoft to fix that problem : and he ask me the name of a programm to install or uninstall... so let's go for "Evernote"... Now : no more Evernote in the list of installed programms... But I list a lot of files linked to Evernote so I used "Revo Uninstaller" to remove Evernote : Revo remove lot of exe, dll, registry data...

I found a solution about the "windows installer" (very hard to restore "windows installer" ... pffff...

So now :

"Windows Installer" is OK I can install and uninstall other programms

I download the last Evernote Version... tryed to install it but an error message say that there is already an other version on my PC so it is impossible to install it...

What can I do to re-install Evernote now ? I removed every evernote files in default directories ( program files, appdata, reg data) ...

So : something from Evernote is still on my computer ? Where ? What ? How to remove It ?

And so... How to reinstall it ?

thank you for your consideration of this matter

Welcome to the forums.

You need to submit a support request. See my signature for link.

The exact fix can get tricky but support knows exactly what to do in this case.

thanks, I submitted a request few hours ago with an auto-answer ( to install evernote go to our website... double-click on the app... )... I Hope to got more sofisticated / customised answer next time... waiting... waiting... waiting... But having such problem is unbeliveable for an app that can be used for professionel purpose : simply cant uninstall/reinstall properly this app with few other people whose got same problem is... simply unbelivable for me... hopping an answer and may be more explanation about that "surprise"... and the "windows installer" service may be corrupted with evernote... not sure at all... but the problem appear after evernote update ( soft update ) : now windows installer is fine... just waiting to install EVERNOTE on my PC...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Michal you helped me find the last registry key!

My problems had to do with moving to a new Windows 7 box and having my roaming profile automatically copy over my Evernote settings. I got to where Evernote wouldn't let me install a newer version over it, and I couldn't find any more Evernote to uninstall. I deleted every registry key that said Evernote, but there was one more.

Had bootstrapper.cpp error code. Found instructions for stopping/restarting Windows Installer Service (disable, reboot, reset to manual and start) to be the ticket.

See: http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2008/12/another-installation-already-in-progress-but-its-not/

Turns out that some time ago, I had a failed Java update that apparently hung mid install. There were no processes that I could associate with it, but after I restarted the Windows Installer Service and initiated the Evernote install (no "bootstrapper" error - yeah!), the Installer gave some diagnostics and presented an option to roll-back the aborted Java installation. Everything proceeded without a hitch.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Had bootstrapper.cpp error code. Found instructions for stopping/restarting Windows Installer Service (disable, reboot, reset to manual and start) to be the ticket.

Beautiful, kwoodham! The ticket indeed! Thanks much for your contribution.

• 2 weeks later...

Salut all!

My Evernote started to remind me constantly about update of the software (for two or three months), but always failed to do that because C:\Temp\ has no evernote.msi file, required for some reason...

Uninstallation was unsuccessful as well, by the same reason.

Therefore I deleted C:\Program Files\Evernote manually and chased and deleted all "evernote", "enapi" keywords from the system registry.

Now, Evernote_4.5.7.7146.exe says that Evernote was installed by another user, and admin can install it only after single user installation is deinstalled. I am the only actual admin of my very personal laptop.

I have Win XP SP3 Home, and I don't use it in any office environment. My WinXP is a standalone installation.

What can I do to reinstall Evernote?

Thank you in advance!

• Level 5*

Hi End User - like the name! Welcome to the Forums.

I hope you didn't have anything you were fond of in your local database, because from the sound of it, all that may now be gone. As a long-time user you presumably have some notes you want to keep, so I'd first check to see what is in the Evernote web client.

If you search for backup/ restore instructions hereabouts you'll find out how to get a database back from an existing installation, or download it from the net.

To get around your pre-installation issues, I'd suggest using Revo Uninstaller to check your system for remnants of Evernote, or try something like Glary Utilities to remove registry clutter you didn't find. Be careful if you install the free version of GU - it offers to install someone's searchbar in your browser, which you might prefer to avoid...

Archived