Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
Windows Phone

All Notes Not Syncing

sync windows phone evernote

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 darrenwall

darrenwall

• Pip
  • Title: Member
  • Group: Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:31 PM

I recently got a windows phone (HTC Titan) and setup my Evernote account. Initial sync went well, note count matched my desktop and everything seems to be there. Next day I go into Evernote on the phone and the note count is half the actual note count in my account and many of my notes aren't in there. I tried logging out, logging back in and having it redo the initial sync, but the next say same thing; note count is half what I actually have and notes aren't available??

#2 damian

damian

• Title: Browncoat
  • Group: Evernote Employee
  • 208 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 05:47 PM

I recently got a windows phone (HTC Titan) and setup my Evernote account. Initial sync went well, note count matched my desktop and everything seems to be there. Next day I go into Evernote on the phone and the note count is half the actual note count in my account and many of my notes aren't in there. I tried logging out, logging back in and having it redo the initial sync, but the next say same thing; note count is half what I actually have and notes aren't available??

Hi Darren,

Are you using Evernote 2.0 or 2.1 (you can tell by selecting the About menu item)?

I'm struggling to think what might be causing this to happen. Is there anything common to the notes that are not being listed? Do they come back in search results?

The first time that you notice that the notes are not there could you go to the About menu and email yourself the log, and then send it to my (by clocking on my photo in the forum) for me to take a look?

Thanks,
Damian

#3 darrenwall

darrenwall

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

Hi Darren,

Are you using Evernote 2.0 or 2.1 (you can tell by selecting the About menu item)?

I'm struggling to think what might be causing this to happen. Is there anything common to the notes that are not being listed? Do they come back in search results?

The first time that you notice that the notes are not there could you go to the About menu and email yourself the log, and then send it to my (by clocking on my photo in the forum) for me to take a look?

Thanks,
Damian

I'm using 2.1.20.6607

#4 EdH

EdH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:09 AM

Hey DarrenWall,

this is a confirmed bug in the latest version. I have opened up ticket 16051-42935 but there is no resolution yet. I was hoping EN would put the old version back in the marketplace. My 3,800 note database has shrunk to 200 notes on the device. I'd rather have the old version that keeps my notes than the new version with some pretty cool new features but only about 5% of my notes.

#5 damian

damian

• 208 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:28 AM

Hi Darren/Ed,

This is obviously a top priority right now. I appreciate you letting me know you are also seeing this issue Ed.

I'm trying to pin down what is going wrong.

Have either of you tried syncing from scratch with the new version (sign out and then sign in again)?

Also, could one of you export an note that is not syncing (via the desktop) and send it to me by clicking on my photo and uploading the enex?

Thanks,
Damian

#6 EdH

EdH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:37 PM

Damian, I first noticed the issue after upgrading. Notes were vanishing from my phone. I thought it was an upgrade issue so uninstalled and reinstalled fresh, which included downloading all 3,800+ headers on that initial sync. Within a few hours I noticed i only had 1,900 headers on my device, and a few hours later, just 200.

I can still search for notes and find them, so either the note headers are still there and the UI just doesn't show them or more likely the search is going online. I have no offline notes on my device right now due to the time it takes to do that and the database corruption issues of the previous (and apparently current) version.

I'll send you a .enex file of a note not on my device. Pretty easy since all of 2010 and most of 2009 are not on there. There is a gap from 10/26/2009 to 10/13/2011!

#7 JuliaK

JuliaK

• 322 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:57 PM

darrenwall, EdH,

We are trying to reproduce this issue on our side. Can you recall if you were doing anything that might have made the note count drop (adding/removing/editing notes, moving notes between notebooks etc). Have you've made any changes to this account on any other Evernote clients between initial downsync and the moment you've found note count drop?

#8 EdH

EdH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:08 PM

darrenwall, EdH,

We are trying to reproduce this issue on our side. Can you recall if you were doing anything that might have made the note count drop (adding/removing/editing notes, moving notes between notebooks etc). Have you've made any changes to this account on any other Evernote clients between initial downsync and the moment you've found note count drop?

I am constantly adding and editing notes, but it is nothing that I haven't done every day for the past few months. Changes to my EN database are done via the following:
  • Evernote for Windows 4.whatever the latest was before the upgrade happened this morning.
  • Zendone is constantly updating my database via your API. I've been on ZenDone since October 6, 2011.
  • I use FasterNote on WP7 to actually add notes, which it does via your API. It is so much faster than firing up the EN client, and I never get error messages with it.
  • I send notes to EN via email.
  • I let IFTTT populate Evernote with the API - started that on Nov 27.
I never had any problems until Nov 30, when I upgraded to the latest version for WP7. Here is how that day went.
  • Upgraded to latest version that morning when the Marketplace alerted me to it.
  • A few hours later, I noticed I only had 2,000 or so notes, not 3,800, so I figured I needed to uninstall and reinstall.
  • Did that and let it recreate my 3,800 note header database. I don't use offline notes because it takes so long to do and the database is too unreliable to expend the time and energy to get offline notes.
  • About an hour later I noticed AGAIN that notes were missing, now down to about 1,900. Opened a support ticket with EN, "16051-42934" assigned.
  • Several hours later, I was down to some 200 notes, about 5% of my total database.
  • Submitted a log. At this point your team confirmed it is a bug in the WP7 client. Good for me for proof, but bad for everyone else, DarrenWall is reporting the same thing.

Right now, the WP7 client is operating as the old Windows Mobile client where it is a basic search tool for your online store of notes. I have confirmed when I search I can find notes not in the local database of headers, so it isn't totally useless, but it is sure a major step backwards from what I had access to on Nov 29.

#9 darrenwall

darrenwall

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:06 PM

Basically, I've done all that; I use Evernote on my PC at work, my PC at home, my iPad and the HTC. I've added notes,deleted notes and changed notes on multiple platforms. Specifically I was using my work PC and the HTC when I first noticed the issues.

I tried logging out of Evernote on the HTC, logging back in and having it do another initial sync. I also tried uninstalling Evernote and reinstalling it. The initial sync seems to find all my notes but after that they continue to dwindle on the HTC.

#10 JuliaK

JuliaK

• 322 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:43 PM

darrenwall, EdH,

I understand that you both are already overwhelmed with this problem, but I was wondering if you could try one test that might help us to understand the issue.
Can you try disabling background sync for Evernote app under phone's Settings/Apps/Background Tasks/Evernote, and then re-downsyncing account. Please let us know if you are still seeing the same note count drop.
We really appreciate your help, and apologize for the inconvenience.

#11 EdH

EdH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:49 PM

JuliaK,

how do I do this? I don't see a "resync" setting, so I presume I'll need to uninstall and reinstall, but if I do that then it will launch with background tasks enabled and proceed to pull down 3800 notes. Is that ok and I can then exit EN and disable background tasks?

To your point, it does seem to happen in the background, meaning I've never seen notes "vanish" while using it, only between sessions.

#12 JuliaK

JuliaK

• 322 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:10 AM

EdH,

You just need to sign out from Evernote app (you can find Sign Out menu on the main pivot), disable background sync under phone's Settings, and then log back into your account.

#13 EdH

EdH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:18 AM

Ahh, cool. Had no idea signing out would do that. The process has started. Will be at least 45min or so. I'll probably post back tomorrow with any status updates. Background sync is off.

#14 EdH

EdH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:38 AM

Well, that isn't it. It sync'd all 3,800 headers, then let the phone go to sleep. When I woke it up, the note count was 1,931. I immediately went to About to generate an error log, but it only had this:

Evernote version 2.1.20.6607
Failed Sync json: {}

Not very useful and I don't think it has anything to do with the issue.

So, eliminate background tasks from the possible cause list.

#15 darrenwall

darrenwall

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

darrenwall, EdH,

I understand that you both are already overwhelmed with this problem, but I was wondering if you could try one test that might help us to understand the issue.
Can you try disabling background sync for Evernote app under phone's Settings/Apps/Background Tasks/Evernote, and then re-downsyncing account. Please let us know if you are still seeing the same note count drop.
We really appreciate your help, and apologize for the inconvenience.

Turned off background sync, signed out and signed back in and did the initial sync again. So far I'm not seeing any notes disappear. I've changed some notes both on the desktop and on the phone and synced several times. The notes are updating. The note count on the phone hasn't gone down, but it doesn't match the note count on the PC either (2739 on the phone, 2627 on the PC)?

#16 JuliaK

JuliaK

• 322 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:32 PM

darrenwall, EdH,

Thanks a lot for your help. We'll do our best to get it fixed as soon as possible.

#17 RobC

RobC

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:12 PM

Not sure this will help, but I ran into a syncing problem on Evernote for the Mac. We solved it by deleting a library file com.evernote.evernote
For Mac users, you can just search for evernote in spotlight and you will find it.

Maybe there is a similar system file in the windows version

#18 EdH

EdH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:37 PM

darrenwall, EdH,

Thanks a lot for your help. We'll do our best to get it fixed as soon as possible.

Any status update on this? I get this is a bug and may take time to troubleshoot, but it is also disheartening that this version is still in the Marketplace. I'd love to have the old version back until this can get fixed. This new version has largely killed my ability to use EN on my phone.

#19 damian

damian

• 208 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 02:39 PM

Hi Ed,

Still trying to understand what is happening - rolling back isn't easy with the marketplace, however one option would be to look at giving you access to a private beta which is equivalent to the prior release - would that work for you?

Thanks,
Damian

#20 EdH

EdH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:56 PM

Hi Ed,

Still trying to understand what is happening - rolling back isn't easy with the marketplace, however one option would be to look at giving you access to a private beta which is equivalent to the prior release - would that work for you?

Thanks,
Damian

I signed up for that and gave my LiveID yesterday, so for me, this may work. Not sure how many others are impacted by this. Thanks.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Windows Phone, sync, windows phone, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote