HELP: Synchronization failure

keanu

Idea

When I try to sync my desktop client, I get this error message, "Evernote is unable to connect with the Evernote Service. This may be due to a network problem or service maintenance. Please try again later. If enabled, automatic synchronization will resume once the Service becomes available."

post-84498-0-43523700-1322561729_thumb.p

31 replies to this idea

Bingo!! I have been having this problem for a couple of days and it was making me crazy. Tried lots of things, but the activity log showed me the problem. Deleted that note, purged the trash, syncs again!! Glorious. Thank you!!! :D

I have this same problem. I also cant seem to see a shared folder on the web version. Help please.

I also tried a number of the suggested items and none of them helped. When will we be able to get the update that fixes this?

I am having the same problem. None of these solutions have worked for me. Nothing in my Activity Log is tagged as an error (though some say "DEBUG") and other fixes, I'm not sure how to do (such as the Evernote Employee post about com.evernote....etc). I also have read other forums that talk about 3.1.1 and going to Beta 3.1.2, but I'm still on 3.1.0. I've tried upgrading, but 3.1.0 is all that's listed in the App Store. Suggestions?

@resrx, the latest client is only in beta at this time. If you do wish to install the beta client you will need to quit Evernote, move app to trash, then download the beta client from our site. Or you can wait until a new build has been approved by Apple.

I use Evernote for Windows (latest version) and just started encountering sync issues when i am operating in a VPN environment.

My Evernote use is largely for work and i have to use a VPN connection.

Just spoke with chat support and a fix is supposed to be in the works. It looks like this has been an issue for months

When can we expect a fix to the sync issue

BTW - Have the same issue with the ipad

I use Evernote for Windows (latest version) and just started encountering sync issues when i am operating in a VPN environment.

My Evernote use is largely for work and i have to use a VPN connection.

Just spoke with chat support and a fix is supposed to be in the works. It looks like this has been an issue for months

When can we expect a fix to the sync issue

BTW - Have the same issue with the ipad

Just FYI, this is a Mac thread. But the Windows issue was fixed, you can get it in the latest beta if you'd like. The fix will be pushed to General Availability soon. If you have an issue with your ipad, I'd suggest opening a separate ticket for that, since it is likely to be a separate issue (our clients are independent, so issues on one client usually don't affect another).

The following solved this synchronization problem for me regarding Evernote 3.1.1 on OS X 10.6.8.

After reviewing the other member comments on this thread, none of the solutions worked or were viable. I was able to get a successful sync by removing my Evernote preferences file "com.evernote.Evernote.plist" located at Users/<username>/Library/Preferences.

You will need to enter some of your account information back, but other than that, I'm now able to sync will all Macs attached to my account.

Cheers!

Thanks to Robert_, my evernote account is now synchronising. but dont forget to logout and login again...

Bingo!! I have been having this problem for a couple of days and it was making me crazy. Tried lots of things, but the activity log showed me the problem. Deleted that note, purged the trash, syncs again!! Glorious. Thank you!!! :D

Ooops --the solution was on the previous page: #11

I've had this issue on my MacBook Air for a while.  I also use Evernote on an iPad, iPhone, MacBook Pro and Windows PC all of which work perfectly.  I've completely removed and reinstalled Evernote on the MBAir to no avail.  Also removed Evernote and upgraded the MacOS to the latest version and then reinstalled and still the same error.  I have no notes at all now on the MBAir and emptied Trash and this still has not resolved the problem.  I'm running Evernote ver 5.4.1

FIXED

Had the error messages showing up on my MacBook Pro. Emptied the Evernote trash, logged out and back in, but the synchronization errors kept showing up.

Then I had the brilliant idea of emptying the Evernote Trash on my iPhone, went back to the laptop, logged out and back in and the error is gone.

Hope that helps!

We're working on both these issues. The shared notebooks and an individual note causing sync issues. Thanks for bringing them up.

Just wanted to point it's over 2 years and emptying the trash still helped me solving this issue on my mac.

I was also having earlier problems which were only solved when I manually Signed Out - completely wiping and reinstalling didn't help. Something I would never have guessed from the error message I was getting, which was something on the lines of this "unable to connect to server" or something.

I'm not sure you guys are following the traditional versioning scheme in which changing major number version means complete rewrite (since we are now on 5, and back then it was 3)! :P

Evernote Version 5.5.2, Synchronization failure:

1) Evernote: Sign Out User

2) Quit Evernote

3) Goto: /Users/macbook/Library/Preferences/

4) Move to Trash: 

com.evernote.Evernote.plist

com.evernote.EvernoteHelper.plist

and other files "com.evernote.Evernote..."

5) Restart your Evernote

6) Enjoy

HI, I too had same problem. I tried emptying trash and restarting.. did not work. 

Then, I went to the NoteBook view where it shows all the notebooks. There was one notebook name "Conflicting notes"followed by some date. I deleted that notebook and emptied trash again. Restarted Evernote. 

IT WORKED !!

Hope this helps. 

The following solved this synchronization problem for me regarding Evernote 3.1.1 on OS X 10.6.8.

After reviewing the other member comments on this thread, none of the solutions worked or were viable. I was able to get a successful sync by removing my Evernote preferences file "com.evernote.Evernote.plist" located at Users/<username>/Library/Preferences.

You will need to enter some of your account information back, but other than that, I'm now able to sync will all Macs attached to my account.

Cheers!

NOTE: I did a diff between the old/bad pref and the newly created pref file that allows Evernote to successfully sync: there was nothing that really jumped out in the old/bad file as the source of the problem, but then some combination of seemly innocent entries in the prefs file could lead to a larger failure I suppose. If someone on the Evernote dev team would like the not-working and working .plist files, I'm happy to provide them.

I'd love a copy. I'll PM you

Cheers!

NOTE: I did a diff between the old/bad pref and the newly created pref file that allows Evernote to successfully sync: there was nothing that really jumped out in the old/bad file as the source of the problem, but then some combination of seemly innocent entries in the prefs file could lead to a larger failure I suppose. If someone on the Evernote dev team would like the not-working and working .plist files, I'm happy to provide them.

We're working on both these issues. The shared notebooks and an individual note causing sync issues. Thanks for bringing them up.

Generally, if there's no email activity on a thread with customer support, you'll want to ping them again. Tickets with inactivity get closed out. Also make sure to check your junk folder, just in case.

Whenever I've asked them to look into a support thread, the gaps in responses are because there was inactivity and it was closed out, something got stuck in a junk folder, the user accidentally created two or more tickets or something weird. Everyone wants our users to get good, timely support and whenever I check in they seem to be nothing but a flurry of responses.

Hi. I have solved this problem for myself and wanted to share it with you all. The error in synchronization was identical to Keanu, I got lucky!!!! Ieft the activity log open on my second screen as I was moving down the notes and saw that an error occurred when I just clicked on some of the notes. The error was cant find file!! I clicked on the troublesome file and then on note history and downloaded the version of the file held on the server. I copied this into the notebook and deleted the troublesome note. I had to do this about eight times and I have 350 notes. Then i deleted all the dowloaded folders and the trash and bingo it synchronized. BTW I first started to get suspicious when I tried to export all my notes and it failed on export saying it could not find the file. My system now works beautifully and no sync errors. All the best Jonathan

I started getting the sync error about a week ago. After reading this forum, I realized the only change I had made was trying a shared notebook. I went back and deleted the shared notebook and the problem resolved itself.

I created a ticket in the help/support section & sent them the error message & copy of the activity log (from the help drop-down menu). They replied right away & told me the problem was related to one of my notes (based on the log they gave me the name of the note). I copied the contents of the note & created a new note, deleted the 'corrupt' note (deleted trash) & the system seems to work fine. I may have been able to notice the issue if I had looked at the sync status of my notes. It was the only one that wasn't syncing.

On my own, I deleted all of my shared notebooks- notebooks that someone else created, and I was viewing- and the message stopped. I was subscribed to Ron's Evernote tips, and another one from an Emergency Medicine blog.

Worked for me, too. Thanks. Sync failure had been happening for several days.

Ok, I put in a support request, and I got a single response back telling me to empty my Trash. I did, and restarted, and the syncing error message continued. (However, notes were still syncing, just an error message). I replied to their suggestion, and haven't heard back, and that was two days ago. Pretty disappointing, considering I'm a paying customer.

On my own, I deleted all of my shared notebooks- notebooks that someone else created, and I was viewing- and the message stopped. I was subscribed to Ron's Evernote tips, and another one from an Emergency Medicine blog.

So try this- it might work better than contacting support.

Archived