Welcome! You're currently a Guest.

If you'd like to join in the Discussion, or access additional features in our forums, please sign in with your Evernote Account here. Have an Evernote Account but forgot your password? Reset it! Don't have an account yet? Create One! You'll need to set your Display Name before your first post.

Photo
iOS

EN 4.1.4 - how do we sort notes?

sort notes evernote

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OwenKelly

OwenKelly

• PipPip
  • Title: Alliance Lackey
  • Group: Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:10 PM

Hi,

In the Knowledge base there is a description of how one sorts notes on an iPad. See here: https://support.ever...0/Sorting-Notes The screenshot shows a button labelled "View Options" under the search box. This is not appearing on my iPad and I can see no other way of altering the order of the notes in the thumbnail bar.

The only way the notes are displayed on my iPad is in reverse order of creation, with the newest on the left and the oldest on the right. Since I name the notes carefully so I can find them alphabetically ("Evernote: sorting notes", "iPad: taking a screenshot", etc) this is not much use to me at all.

Am I being dim, and missing an obvious mechanism for changing the sort order, or has this been dropped from the new version?

If the former, then please tell me how to do it, and if the latter then please put sorting back in the next upgrade.

Many thanks
Owen

#2 Metrodon

Metrodon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Title: Bankrobber
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:19 PM

That screenshot is very out of date - click on All Notes in the toolbar at the top and then the View Option button will become available in the toolbar at the bottom.

#3 OwenKelly

OwenKelly

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:45 PM

Thanks but that was not what I meant. Let me explain better.

I want to view by notebook. When I open a notebook I see a side-scrolling band containing the note titles and snippets. I want this band to show the titles of the notes alphabetically. At the moment they appear sorted newest to oldest, which is not very useful to me.

I have a notebook called How To, for example, where I store instructions I have needed and know I won't remember. They are purposefully titled as I described above so that I can scroll through them alphabetically and all the OpenSim entries, say, are usefully together.

This works on my Windows desktop. How can I get it to work on my iPad?

Owen

#4 Metrodon

Metrodon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:48 PM

Do as I suggested, select Title from View Options and that will do what you want.

#5 OwenKelly

OwenKelly

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

My humble apologies, you are completely correct!

The fact that this option only appears when you select All Notes led me to believe that it only applied to the sorting applied in this view. In my defence I might argue that this is not exactly intuitive.

But nonetheless I should have tried your suggestion before assuming you had misunderstood :)

Many thanks
Owen

#6 Metrodon

Metrodon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:28 PM

No need to apologise...

I agree with you completely, it's not intuitive but once you know it is there....

I'd like to be able to sort by notebook too, some by title, some by created date etc - stuff that has been discussed on here and will probably happen eventually.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ios, sort, notes, evernote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Clip to Evernote